Author Topic: Question for "mature" MG cruiser (e.g. Jackal) riders  (Read 5143 times)

Offline NedM

• New Egg
Question for "mature" MG cruiser (e.g. Jackal) riders
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
Good day:

Lord willing I'll turn 75 in a few months. On several discussion boards I've read of many riders in this age bracket downsizing but I'm considering going the other way.

Currently ride a Suzuki TU250 but would like something with a little more power and comfort. Seriously considering something in the 300cc class but have seen ads for machines such as the Jackal that appeal to me. My primary concern is weight as the Guzzi's weigh roughly 200 pounds more than my 250.

I'm 6' and weigh around 170. I'm not feeble but certainly don't have the strength I once had.

Would welcome the opinion/experience of any riders about my age as to the advisability of making such a change.

Thank you.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Question for "mature" MG cruiser (e.g. Jackal) riders
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
Welcome to WG, Ned. I doubt anyone can say.  :smiley: The Jackal carries it's weight fairly low, and is relatively easy to maneuver at slow speeds and in the garage. I think it would be a good choice.. but only you will know after trying one out. 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Welcome fellow geezer!  I'm 78 and started riding at age 16.  5'9" and 150 lbs.  Was away from riding for an extended period and chose the Suzuki 250X as a reentry bike. (a great machine)
I now ride a V7 Stone II and find it a perfect fit.  Good for both highway and country travel.  At about 100 lbs heavier than the Suzuki, it is manageable for me.  Not a screamer, but more than satisfactory performance.  Suitable for "gents" of our age.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
The seat is low and the center of gravity also low. With your inseam you shouldn't have any trouble. I am a year younger and ride a Goldwing among other bikes. The Jackal is not heavy.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »
well, when talking cruiser, while the Jackal is more nimble than say a dressed EV or 1400, it's still a big bike, at 575#. It's well balanced and not too tough to move around the garage, but it ain't small. There are other "mature" Moto Guzzi models that are smaller and close the gap between where you are and where you're going.

Why cruiser? Is it the seating posture? At your height a V7 or a V9 would give you VERY ample increase in ponies, and remain a very comfortable seating position, while keeping the overall weight lower and shorter wheelbase for garage navigating.

From what little I know, if I were your paid consultant on this issue, with half due when satisfied, I'd put you on a Roamer.

and there's screens and bags available if you need that.

post image
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »
I certainly can't say I fit into the "Mature" Jackal rider category from any direction  :grin: :laugh: :grin: but I did have a Jackal for nearly a decade and I might offer some thoughts.

As far a big bikes go (I've got an 800# RK and a nearly 600# Sporty which I had at the same time as the Jackal and they are almost identical wet weights) I would say the Jackal is a pretty forgiving bike. It never felt heavy to me, though perhaps I'm a bit jaded.

Then again at the same time we had the Jackal we also had an R65, Breva 1100 (which was technically lighter but felt heavier than the Jackal), a Ducati 696, a Sporty 883 Low, and the current 1200 Sporty.

I will say bikes like the R65, Duc, and my current V7 feel SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the Jackal.

If there was any question about dealing with the weight of a Jackal I would also suggest considering a smallblock like a V7 or V9, you'll end up with about the same power-to-weight ratio (maybe a little better on the current V9) and an overall lighter and easier to live with chassis.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
 Well hello Ned my brother . 5'11" here , about 170 LBS , but a mere pup of 63 . No trouble dealing with my Jackal , if you are in reasonable shape it will work .

Oh , and don't listen to those guys advising to buy a V7 , real men ride real motorcycles like a Jackal, none of those wimpy little small blocks for us  :evil:

Dusty

Offline shaka

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Good day:

Lord willing I'll turn 75 in a few months. On several discussion boards I've read of many riders in this age bracket downsizing but I'm considering going the other way.

Currently ride a Suzuki TU250 but would like something with a little more power and comfort. Seriously considering something in the 300cc class but have seen ads for machines such as the Jackal that appeal to me. My primary concern is weight as the Guzzi's weigh roughly 200 pounds more than my 250.

I'm 6' and weigh around 170. I'm not feeble but certainly don't have the strength I once had.

Would welcome the opinion/experience of any riders about my age as to the advisability of making such a change.

Thank you.

A good day to you, too, sir.
I'm also a "mature" rider, age 71, as well as a fellow Delawarean.
I bought a 1998 V11 EV a couple years ago. Its a bit heavy and ungainly to move around the garage, but once underway its very easy and fun to ride. My balance, coordination and strength are still adequate for the purpose. I do notice more seat discomfort than in earlier days, but a Corbin seat, AirHawk cushion and rear shock change have helped a lot.  But overall, I've found a bigger bike to actually be easier on me with my spinal stenosis and degenerating discs.

Tony
1998 V11 EV
Long Ago:
Norton Fastback
R50/2
R60/5

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
Isn't there another Delawarian from this board who is currently looking to sell a Jackal (or another Cali) because of age and difficulty with the weight and kickstand?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
Try and find someone that will let you ride a Jackal. IMHO any bike you first ride will seem heavy.

You can easily get a used Jackal for 2K.The Corbin seat will put you higher. You can put lower shocks on it.

At 5' 11 7/8". (I'm 6" but the culls I run into all want a MAN of 6') I put over 1/4 million miles on 98 EV's and never found the weight to be an issue. (I can't go to the beach as the bullies kick sand in my face.)

Whatever your choice, enjoy,
Tex

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
Oh , and don't listen to those guys advising to buy a V7 , real men ride real motorcycles like a Jackal, none of those wimpy little small blocks for us  :evil:
<throwing down gauntlets>
Sir! I challenge you to a duel.
Grumble grumble.. wimpy little small blocks, indeed..
 :cool:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »

Don't listen to overcompensating big-block riders, they probably need "loud pipes" to make them feel like they've got a couple more inches too.

Look we're all sure Dusty that it's an Italian foot...

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
You know as long as you're looking at a Jackal you might as well go "all in" as my youngest son says.

I know you used to play with little green men.  We all did.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline NedM

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
I appreciate the replies.

Kev m:

The Jackal for sale on this site is one that prompted my question. My sense from the ad was that it is not the weight per se of the bike but a problem with the kickstand due to a medical issue. I should simply ask him.

I really like the Stone but monetary factors come into play. I think the Stone is quite fairly priced and I can afford one but my wife has absolutely no interest in motorcycles and I feel it somewhat unfair to indulge my desire when something like the Jackal is available for thousands less. Don't know if that makes sense. 

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

They build small blocks for you , er , vertically challenged types , no idea what Kev's problem is . Oh yeah , he rides a Harley  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

Kev m:

The Jackal for sale on this site is one that prompted my question. My sense from the ad was that it is not the weight per se of the bike but a problem with the kickstand due to a medical issue. I should simply ask him.

I really like the Stone but monetary factors come into play. I think the Stone is quite fairly priced and I can afford one but my wife has absolutely no interest in motorcycles and I feel it somewhat unfair to indulge my desire when something like the Jackal is available for thousands less. Don't know if that makes sense.

I guess I hear ya, though in this day and age a used smallblock might only be a couple thousand more but might be significantly newer too.

I loved my Jackal, it was just one of the biggest problem children ever to haunt my garage. Still at the time I kept it longer than I'd ever kept any other bike, so there was something there.

Calis (like the Jackal) are nimble bikes that feel much lighter in the saddle than you'd expect, yet are rock solid on the freeway. And my problem child might have been an outlier.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
I feel it somewhat unfair to indulge my desire when something like the Jackal is available for thousands less. Don't know if that makes sense.

Seeking bang for your buck. Trust me, you're among like minded friends here.

speaking of a V11 California for 2 grand. To me this seems like a ridiculous deal. EV, russell Day long saddle...

https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1999-moto-guzzi-1100-ev-for/6256613799.html
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
You're right, Kip. That's a steal.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 05:05:04 AM »
I have a Vintage, which is also a Tonti California and weighs about 650 lbs wet. It's pretty standard in configuration, but does have luggage, windshield, floorboards, etc. It is manageable in the shop, but is noticeably more difficult to maneuver than my Bonneville or my BMW (both about 500 lbs). If you are coming from a TU250, I believe that a small block like a Breva 750 or a V7 would suit you very nicely. Both are affordable on the used market and the weight is well below 500 lbs. The V7s have a great aftermarket and these bikes will do just about anything that a big block will do (albeit just a little slower). In the bargain, the seating position is a little more neutral and better for old backs.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
Good day:

Thank you.

Hey Ned

I'm a mere hop skip North of you in Newark DullAware, I'm 69, I have a Jackal for sale, thinning the herd of two rides that hurt my knee. If I were you, I'd drive up Rt 1 here this weekend and take a nice long test ride. That would be the truest way to answer your question.

Ping me at our urea code tree fore fie see row ate see row sebben...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:16:30 AM by webmost »
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »

Kev m:

Yeah, that's me... with the bum knee. Look, long as you are a responsible senior gent with a motorcycle endorsement, I don't mind you taking as long of a test ride as you need, so that you know for sure whether it fits you. I remember when I was shopping for a new bagger to tote the RedHead to distant B&Bs, I went to two beemer dealers, signed a paper, salesman handed me a key, and said: "We close at 5:30." I like that.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
Hi Ned, welcome to this forum! I'm a old guy also, 65 and have been ridding since I was 14. At your height and you said your physical condition is good and you have ridding experience, in my experience weight of a bike should not be an issue unless you drop her and picking her up may be a problem for a 600 pounder! After you ride the bike a while you will get use to the balance nature of the bike. Most of the times when we lay one down it's sitting still or near stopped and simply get off balance and as everyone here will tell you once it's passes the point of no return King Kong can't stop it. My advice is just make sure you can sit flat footed with some bend left in your knees and you'll be fine. Be safe.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
You know as long as you're looking at a Jackal you might as well go "all in" as my youngest son says.

I know you used to play with little green men.  We all did.

Love it, here's mine....

host gif online

66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline decotriumph

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
It's hard to beat an EV or a Jackal. The good thing about a cruiser is that even though they are somewhat heavy, the center of gravity is usually low and the seat height is low, too. A rider can sit on the bike to move it around the garage, etc.
Alan M
Tullahoma, TN

2004 Moto Guzzi California EV1100 Touring

Past Guzzis:
2020 V85TT Adventure
2017 V9 Bobber
2014 Stelvio NTX
2012 Stelvio
2000 Jackal
1997 1100i Sport
1975 850T

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Question for &quot;mature&quot; MG cruiser (e.g. Jackal) riders
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
It's hard to beat an EV or a Jackal. The good thing about a cruiser is that even though they are somewhat heavy, the center of gravity is usually low and the seat height is low, too. A rider can sit on the bike to move it around the garage, etc.
I have to admit, though I have reservations about some Cali style issues (mostly the tank) I loved the motor and chassis. It was nimble and a pleasure to ride.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
I have to admit, though I have reservations about some Cali style issues (mostly the tank) I loved the motor and chassis. It was nimble and a pleasure to ride.

After you painted your jackal, I assumed you had no sense of style  :smiley:
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
After you painted your jackal, I assumed you had no sense of style  :smiley:
Aww hell, that was a huge improvement.

Actually, compare my Jackal visually with my V7 Stone. The color patterns, balance of black, white, and chrome.

I think Guzzi copied me. [emoji8]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Aww hell, that was a huge improvement.

Actually, compare my Jackal visually with my V7 Stone. The color patterns, balance of black, white, and chrome.

I think Guzzi copied me. [emoji8]

Being the owner of a white stone, I agree the white was a huge improvement. I admit I was surprised you sold it after all the customization you did. Great article you had on Revzilla about downsizing by the way.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »
Follow up

My evidence, judge as you will.

And

I would have painted the Jackal engine black if it had been a realistic option.

And I would have chosen cast wheels on the Jackal too if it had been an option.

And as for side covers I could go either way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:39:04 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
Being the owner of a white stone, I agree the white was a huge improvement. I admit I was surprised you sold it after all the customization you did. Great article you had on Revzilla about downsizing by the way.
I was torn. But for whatever reason it was a problem child from the start. And there were enough little niggling details that bothered me (tank shape, wire wheels, seat feel and shape, oil filter procedure etc.) that I was ready to try something "new."

Edit-the seat feel thing. I broke my tailbone snowboarding and the seat, that was always bad, became unbearable for more than a year. I mean like 50 miles and I was done unbearable.

And I have to admit my V7 has not disappointed in all those areas. I'll admit I wouldn't mind if the V7 felt a tiny bit more like the Jackal in stability and solidness (probably mostly in the front end).

Thanks on the ZLA thing. Funny how people respond to a little honesty.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:05:40 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here