Author Topic: Norge v. Stelvio  (Read 3231 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Norge v. Stelvio
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
For those of you who have actually owned or even ridden each of these bikes:
  • Which is the quietest?
  • Which is the most comfortable?

Today, I rode my beloved Norge from Olympia to Moto International and back to have some warranty bits installed  (rubber crankcase breather hoses; the original ones had baked hard from the heat of the engine and cracked, spurting oil everywhere). With the stock windscreen installed, I get a tremendous, noisy head-buffeting. (Having no windscreen at all would be better.) And even with Knight Design lowering footpegs installed, and even though I am only 5'10" with a 31-inch inseam, the Norge is still cramped and painful after a while.

While waiting for the repair, I noticed in the showroom that MI has some new-old-stock Stelvios for sale at a cheap price. It got me thinking about a possible trade...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge v. Stelvio
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I have owned both, a 2013 NTX and a 2104 Norge and interestingly enough we are the same dimensions.

The Norge is quieter once you get the right windshield on it. That said, I couldn’t get the right screen set up for the NTX and always got buffeted.

The NTX was more comfortable, footpegs and handlebars but challenged my inseam as it was tall. You can get a lower seat and/or lower the whole bike but I personally wouldn't recommend the latter. Also a full tank of petrol really gave it a top heaviness, especially in gravel. :~(

Not that any of this helps with your decision but if I were to buy another, I would go for a 2010-11 smaller tank Stelvio that has been “rollerized”. With lowered seat, the right windscreen and perhaps risers, that might be just the ticket.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my V9, a whole ’nother bike from the 2 mentioned above.

Good luck,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
^ Buffeting is worse than being cramped! It drives me nuts!

The best Norge windscreen I have tried so far has been the Agostini/MG Cycle windscreen. Minimal buffeting. I am going to put it back on right now...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Laminar lip cut the Stelvio buffeting a lot. Then again for me Stelvio was an upgrade from Quota... so what do I know about buffeting... :grin:
I like the Stelvio riding position a lot and with Russell Daylong seat, I can with ease do +700 miles days.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
^ Buffeting is worse than being cramped! It drives me nuts!

The best Norge windscreen I have tried so far has been the Agostini/MG Cycle windscreen. Minimal buffeting. I am going to put it back on right now...

I should have thought about this before Jeff. I have a tall Cal-sci windshield for the Norge that might just be the treat if you’re interested. Message me if you are.

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
I owned a '13 Stelvio NTX and a '14 Norge.  I tend to work on the bikes until they suit me.  The Norge is quieter and is smoother although the Stelvio is faster and pulls harder.  The Norge with the Cal Sci medium windscreen is very good for me at 5' 10" while the Stelvio used the stock screen with an X-creen added to the top.  Pegs for the Norge were from a Goldwing that I lowered 1.5" while the Stelvio was a SW Motech adjustable set in low position.  The Stelvio is more comfortable on the long rides because you can stand.  I recently removed the Norge center stand which now allows me to stand without hitting my heel on the stand lever.  It is much better.  I put 1/4" foam pads on the fairing for my knees to press into and that also made the Norge better.  On both bike the bars have been raised 2".  I have machined a set of harmonic balancers for both bikes but it is more effective for the Norge - almost electric motor smooth.  On my latest trip from Pgh to Deal's Gap, NC for the eclipse the Norge was good for multi-all day rides.  My wish would be for a V9 platform Stelvio that would not be as top heavy.  I have a KTM 990 for gravel roads but could see a smaller Stelvio style bike to do it all, but I want the CARC.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:24:55 PM by Trialsman »
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
^ Thanks for the thought. I�m going to stick with my Agostini windscreen until I get around to cutting down one of my two stock windscreens. (When I stand up, there is no buffeting, and everything is very quiet with my Shuberth helmet; hopefully I can replicate that sitting down with a much shorter windscreen.)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »
^ Thanks for the thought. I�m going to stick with my Agostini windscreen until I get around to cutting down one of my two stock windscreens. (When I stand up, there is no buffeting, and everything is very quiet with my Shuberth helmet; hopefully I can replicate that sitting down with a much shorter windscreen.)

Cool, thanks for letting me know.
inditx

This is the day.....

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »

Jeff...I'm trying another experiment...I just sent back my 4 year old Tinted Shorty for the Norge back to Cal-Sci for an experiment.  I love the look of it, but even this short one has a bit of buffeting, so I'm going to cut it down another 2.5 inches and see what that does.  Should still provide enough wind protection vs. a naked bike, but I think the air around the helmet might be cleaner!  We'll know in a week. 

Right now I love the TLM Large one I've got, but I do like a smaller screen as well for looks and function...will see if that becomes the preferred one for around town, and the TLM for the long distance trips.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
^ I am eager to hear how it turns out!

Who would have thought that a short windscreen, or no windscreen at all, would produce a significantly calmer ride than a mid-sized windscreen?

My quietest ride by far, with absolutely no buffeting (but a good bit of wind in the chest) is my Vespa GTS 300 with no windscreen coupled with my Schuberth C3 full-face helmet (even at 70 to 80 MPH).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:  Absolutely!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
the stock seat on the Norge absolutely sucks. I found a used corbin and it is sooooooo much better and it sits a bit lower as well. kinda puts your rear in in a cradle pocket. I can slide my hips over easy when cornering hard with no issues.

2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
Totally agree on the Corbin vs. stock seat - huge difference in comfort and ability to flat foot the bike at a stop.

Jeff...here are a few pics of the 2.5 inches shorter cut down Cal-Sci Tinted Shorty I just got back yesterday evening for the Norge.   Took it out for a spin today for a short ride and I like it a lot, it's a lot more like the Scura with the smaller fairing/shield, much better clean air around the helmet!  Will test it more extensively for a longer ride tomorrow and see how it feels over a few hours riding.  A couple of shots from various angles.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:19:20 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
I don't know if it's possible to get your Norge screen so it's just right. 'Cos the way I see it is, if it's fairly good at everything, it won't be very good at anything.
I rode mine from Nordkapp 4 deg sleety/snow, down to Rome 32 deg bright sunshine, and there seemed to be a setting for everything.
And as for buffeting, I have a nice fitting Arai Vector, and I can't see what the fuss is about, (after all, it IS a motorbike).
Reckon the standard seat is ok too, can't see the point.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Huzo...It's clear you're being either deliberately forgetful as we've had several threads and discussions around buffeting and we know your opinion, or you're being provocative to stir the pot for no purpose.  If you don't want to modify your windscreen or your seat, you don't have to, however others do like to tinker with it to find something better than stock. 

After all, you've done plenty of other modifications to your wheels, exhaust, windscreen button, handlebars and who knows what else, no one begrudges you those changes, so be a bit more tolerant of what others want to do to make the mike more comfortable for them.  Get the message?  Good!

:thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:31:43 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
Yeah well put. PM sent.

Bonaventure

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
As far as suspension on the Stelvio goes, I remember when looking at them before buying the scuttlebutt was suspension was a little soft.  Now that I have one, a 2016, I can say that's not the case at least for mine and at least considering it's still new and low mile. 

I'm between 6'2" and 6'3" weigh 210 lbs, 220 with gear and with the panniers and pannier scaffolding removed and front/rear preload & damping set to "normal" in the manual, the ride is not mushy for street riding and still feels just a smidge firm. Do need to slightly tweak the rear preload-- could tell from performance in curves that it needs a very slight movement up in the rear.  Using the damping settings for "normal" from the 2016 manual the damping performance front vs rear also feel surprisingly well balanced.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Paul, your short, tinted windscreen looks great! How is the buffeting? If there is any, perhaps cutting it down further would do the trick. I may give Cal-Sci a call.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
Paul I also like the looks of the tinted cal-Sci sheild, I wouldn’t have thought going smaller would fix the buffeting. I’m not to bothered by it much on my 07 Norge, with the stock seat and windshield, but am always open to improving the ride. Keep posting updates on your trials please.

This thread and your trials are making me rethink  fixing a buffeting problem on my wife’s 750 Breva with a Vetter Quick Silver fairing.

I also would like to hear more about harmonic balancers for the Norge.

Thanks
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
Thanks guys...just back from a 175 mile ride...the verdict is in!

FANTASTIC results...Silky smooth quiet air, zero buffeting at all speeds (60-90), even on the highway.  It's as if the bike should have come from the factory this way.  Rides just like the Scura (from the quiet air around the helmet perspective)...

I couldn't be more pleased to have found the right combo here.  2.5 inches cutoff from the stock Cal-Sci tinted shorty and it's the Bees Knees (had a nice stop at the local apiary to pick up some fresh honey too)!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:48:10 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
^ Thats awesome! I need to call them.

Do you think it should have been any shorter?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
^ Thats awesome! I need to call them.

Do you think it should have been any shorter?

I think I found the sweet spot Jeff with this height...but the good thing is you can always send it back and they'll keep cutting it down to whatever size you need...free of charge (other than you pay shipping there, and they pay shipping back).  Excellent Customer service!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
^  That sounds great!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here