Author Topic: New MGX21 coming home Saturday  (Read 6132 times)

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
New MGX21 coming home Saturday
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I just couldn't keep away from this bike, it had me the first time I saw it and I should have just bought it then, but I bought an Indian Chieftain instead (which has been outstanding). Now finally the lure of this thing has gotten the better of me and with a list price of just under $15K at the dealer in Vegas for a brand new one, that put me over the top. So My 2015 V7 Special will now have a big brother in the garage with it after this weekend, and the wife will take over riding the Chieftain, which really is an incredible bike.

Though you know what the MGX looks like I will still post some pics like any proud new papa would once it is home with me.

Any suggestions from any MGX owners out there?

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Re: New MGX21 coming home Saturday
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
Sounds great.  Do give us some pics when it is home.
Blue Guzz

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
I just couldn't keep away from this bike, it had me the first time I saw it and I should have just bought it then, but I bought an Indian Chieftain instead (which has been outstanding). Now finally the lure of this thing has gotten the better of me and with a list price of just under $15K at the dealer in Vegas for a brand new one, that put me over the top. So My 2015 V7 Special will now have a big brother in the garage with it after this weekend, and the wife will take over riding the Chieftain, which really is an incredible bike.

Though you know what the MGX looks like I will still post some pics like any proud new papa would once it is home with me.

Under $15k is an amazing price

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
By under $15k I mean 14,490  :wink:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »

Congrats. I love mine.  Wish I scored that kind of deal too.  But, I think I was the first to buy one in the states, according to my dealer. I just couldn't contain myself.

Suggestions: Definitely the large windshield, then add yourself a couple little wings on the side. That's the single best thing I did to mine. Now, it's like riding behind a swanee fairing.  I also like the comfort seat, though it is just slightly better than the stock one.  That's my main suggestion. The other things I've done to mine may not fit everyone else's tastes. Like retrofitting an Audace heel/toe shifter, Mistrals, LED running lights for more visibility by cagers, toggled 12 volt/usb accessory plug, radar detector, GPS, wireless TPMS, Freeway blaster horns, ATV fat foam grip covers, etc.  But, I do most of these things to all my bikes.

Here's a photo of my windshield setup. I bought the little wings from Lowes 8"X8" plexiglass and cut them down.  I'm telling you, it's a whole different bike with these on there with the XL shield.

I also love the tail end after adding this piece.

Again congrats.  This thing is a mile eater.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Luap, all of those seem appealing. If I have further questions I will likely PM you! Looking forward to the ride very much, this year I logged just about 12000 miles on my Indian (and another 6k on my V7), hopefully I will do the same, if not more, on the MGX.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »
Cool beans bro, enjoy! :afro:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

bobrebos

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Congratulations on the new bike!   :bike-037:

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Congrats!  I can't wait to see one in person.   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 04:32:19 AM »
Nice fleet!

The contrast between the V7 and the big bikes is probably perfect (it is for me).

Enjoy.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »
Beautiful bike.  Just not a fan of fork mounted fairings. 

I should have waited and bought the Road King Special because I rarely ever ride with the windshield attached to my road king.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »

I should have waited and bought the Road King Special because I rarely ever ride with the windshield attached to my road king.

Ya know it's funny, one of the things that attracted me to the RK in the first place was the quick-detach windshield. But on my current RK I can't really use it. The ergos have me too upright (the police seat) and without a way to brace my legs (floorboards don't provide the same support as pegs for that) I find myself holding on to keep from being blown back at highway speeds.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »

I have ridden both and do not mind the fork mount, the Indian is fork mounted and really served me well. Either way, they did a nice job with the design for sure and I am anxious to get in the saddle and tack on some miles, the ride home alone will be 400.

Now I see this new V85 and am thinking that is the next stage of touring for me down the road...damn you Moto Guzzi

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
Nice fleet!

The contrast between the V7 and the big bikes is probably perfect (it is for me).

Enjoy.

Thanks, I use the V7 for daily commuting here, and the contrast between that and the big bikes is just about perfect, you are correct! The V7 is simply outstanding, I hope to feel the same about the new ride.

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »
Congrats!  I can't wait to see one in person.

It will be performing live in the Phoenix area starting this Sunday, admission is free.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 08:36:51 AM »
Ya know it's funny, one of the things that attracted me to the RK in the first place was the quick-detach windshield. But on my current RK I can't really use it. The ergos have me too upright (the police seat) and without a way to brace my legs (floorboards don't provide the same support as pegs for that) I find myself holding on to keep from being blown back at highway speeds.

I mostly run the low tour saddle that sits me low in the bike.  I usually only ride 45 mph roads so I am running around 50 mph.  Short jaunts at higher speeds are tolerable, but now I realize why true bikers have large arms.  ;)
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
I mostly run the low tour saddle that sits me low in the bike.  I usually only ride 45 mph roads so I am running around 50 mph.  Short jaunts at higher speeds are tolerable, but now I realize why true bikers have large arms.  ;)

I'd be fine with 40-50 mph even as is, but I so often head away from traffic to the Pines where the roads are flat and straight and long so I am rarely below that speed. That said I'd still probably be fine if I put a civilian seat on it which would be over 3" lower and really change the triangle between the boards, bars, and butt.

Ironically that was my original plan, but the damn police seat is SO good I just can't bring myself to change it out.

So I guess I'm using a windshield.

I really should sell the short shield I bought too, but maybe I'll replace the plastics with a taller (but not as tall as stock) from Memphis Shades and give that a try for summer/local riding.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »

It will be performing live in the Phoenix area starting this Sunday, admission is free.

Where, when!?!  Inquiring minds want to know.   :thumb:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Dalini

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Have had my MGX a year & thoroughly enjoy it�s brute feel & sport touring abilities. I�v kept it simple w/ a black w/ chrome rings top & bottom cup holder, taller shield, MG rear carbon rack with a red, hard, Axio tail compartment matching the tapered rear shape. Also, Freedom Performance Exhausts (Corona, Ca) created a really, I think, impressive system (with chrome round tips).Be interesting to hear what other Guzzisti will think.
I�m not a farkle rider so no gadgets or GPS (rode 23 states thru 21 days w/o it last summer. Paper map & the wind). As others have noted & I agree GPS diminishes the adventure. It is convenient finding urban addresses tho.
Anyway, congratulations & ride your MGX many safe miles.
Beaten paths are for beaten men. There won�t be many of us out there.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »
Have had my MGX a year & thoroughly enjoy it�s brute feel & sport touring abilities. I�v kept it simple w/ a black w/ chrome rings top & bottom cup holder, taller shield, MG rear carbon rack with a red, hard, Axio tail compartment matching the tapered rear shape. Also, Freedom Performance Exhausts (Corona, Ca) created a really, I think, impressive system (with chrome round tips).Be interesting to hear what other Guzzisti will think.
I�m not a farkle rider so no gadgets or GPS (rode 23 states thru 21 days w/o it last summer. Paper map & the wind). As others have noted & I agree GPS diminishes the adventure. It is convenient finding urban addresses tho.
Anyway, congratulations & ride your MGX many safe miles.
Beaten paths are for beaten men. There won�t be many of us out there.

I disagree about GPS diminishing the adventure.  My GPS has allowed me to plan and take roads I would have totally missed had I stuck with more major roads which all my non-GPS friends do because they can't be bothered with stopping every 15 minutes to check the map.  Plus, with the GPS, I can see I road I am interested in and just head down it and the GPS routes me back onto my course eventually.  Think of it as having a passenger that constantly checks the map for the route so you don't have to stop and reassess the situation.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Dalini

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
Valid points. I probably miss some fun roads & interesting sites but I enjoy the unknown anticipation of deciding & not relying on something or someone else. It’s been satisfying for 53 years.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
I rarely use the routing feature on my GPS.

I like to use it as a "real-time" map. Keeps me from having to stop, turn off the bike, get off, open the saddle bag, open the map, find where I'm at, find where I want to go, fold the map, close the bag, get back on the bike and ride one.  Who has time for that nonsense?  :evil:

It's also handy for finding gas stations when you get into remote areas and start getting nervous. Not to mention finding places to eat in small towns you'd blow right through never knowing a really good mom and pop restaurant existed there.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I'll assume pics will be forthcoming once Darkstar is done runnin' 'er in.   :wink:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
I disagree about GPS diminishing the adventure.  My GPS has allowed me to plan and take roads I would have totally missed had I stuck with more major roads which all my non-GPS friends do because they can't be bothered with stopping every 15 minutes to check the map.  Plus, with the GPS, I can see I road I am interested in and just head down it and the GPS routes me back onto my course eventually.  Think of it as having a passenger that constantly checks the map for the route so you don't have to stop and reassess the situation.
That's the best aspect.

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
Well, we are back from the trip and home safe. New MGX is in the stable and I am quite pleased with the 1400 power plant. I assumed it would be like the V7 but bigger, but it is better than expected. Hard to exactly describe it, kinda feels like an agile locomotive with the torque of an electric go cart? So it is quick, nimble and stable, perhaps that is the way to go? Was not sure what to expect form the 21" front wheel either, reviewers all seem to have their opinions, but I rather enjoyed it and felt the bike was incredibly responsive to my movements. I guess that is why you shouldn't buy a bike based on a stupid review. Took the ride home relatively calm, use turismo mode the whole way, but i can tell this guy has a little Rickey Bobbie in him and wants to go fast!

At 5'7" it is a hair tall for me, which is only an issue standing it up (and minor at that), it is a bit of a bear, the reach is about 1-1.5" further than I would really like for the long days to come, but I am confident I can get my seat modified locally to fix that.

The experience buying this was also noteworthy in a positive way, so I thought I would just mention that I got this at Euro Cycles in Las Vegas, where they had a nice selection of Guzzi's and some really outstanding pricing. https://www.eurocyclelasvegas.com/

Looking forward to many miles on this ride!

Picture coming...

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
On the way home by Lake Mead

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
Awesome!  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Nice!  I bought a corner desk today.   :sad:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
Nice!  I bought a corner desk today.   :sad:
:1: Why so sad?  Corner desks are cool!  :thumb:
"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here