Author Topic: Curious about valve adjustment issue  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Curious about valve adjustment issue
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
I’m curious as to how often,  if ever,  does the valves need to be readjusted from one time, when you did it yourself and know it was right, to the next appointment time to check them? My bike is a 07 Calvin and I’m around 5k since it was done by the PO. Happy turkey day!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Curious about valve adjustment issue
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »
I've always checked them @ 5K and sometimes put off 20K to adjust.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
If it "sounds" like it needs to be adjusted I check them.

Otherwise about 4-5K miles I will check them no matter what they sound like.

On my V11's only needed to adjust one or two every 10-15k miles. Normally everything
well within limits.

Hope for the same on my V7II!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
I change oil every 3k miles, on the third change (9-10k) I change the oil filter, adjust the valves and service the tranny and rear end.  It's pretty close to the California recommendation but a little longer than recommended for the V11 Sport.  I am not sure why that intervals aren't the same regardless. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »
If it "sounds" like it needs to be adjusted I check them.

Otherwise about 4-5K miles I will check them no matter what they sound like.

On my V11's only needed to adjust one or two every 10-15k miles. Normally everything
well within limits.

Hope for the same on my V7II!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff

Wait , you mean "our" bike wasn't lovingly tuned every 100 miles ? :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
Wait , you mean "our" bike wasn't lovingly tuned every 100 miles ? :shocked:

Dusty
Oh no, the truth leaks out. Not what Dusty wants to hear but I like that schedule:)

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
Oh no, the truth leaks out. Not what Dusty wants to hear but I like that schedule:)

Yeah , and Jeff washed it every week also before it came to me  :evil:

Kinda late to worry about it now some 55K miles later . Dang thing is costing me a fortune to keep running , probably close to 3 bucks now , and those tires and brake pads are killing me . Oh , and now I gotta replace a speedo cable . Breaking me it is  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Dusty

Online guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »
Yeah , and Jeff washed it every week also before it came to me  :evil:

Kinda late to worry about it now some 55K miles later . Dang thing is costing me a fortune to keep running , probably close to 3 bucks now , and those tires and brake pads are killing me . Oh , and now I gotta replace a speedo cable . Breaking me it is  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Dusty

I would demand a refund!!

Jeff

Ps.. what is this "washing" you speak of????

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:02:30 AM »
 ^^^

:laugh:Oddly enough , she seems to have a force field that prevents water from getting anywhere near . Even in a rainstorm only her rider gets drowned  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
5k, 10k, sounds extremely frequently to me. Is a Guzzi more prone by far to need this?
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »
5k, 10k, sounds extremely frequently to me. Is a Guzzi more prone by far to need this?

It's such an easy thing to do.. why *not* do it?
Ok, I'm an anal airplane mechanic. At every "annual inspection" (you mean you don't do that?) I change fluids, do a leak down, take a look at the plugs..they tell you a *lot*, check the valves while I'm doing the leak down.
Especially on the old small blocks, a valve clearance closing up is a warning. Pay attention. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
I only want to fly on airplane maintained by anal mechanics. 

Something about 30+ years supporting the USAF in my former career......   :huh:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:53 PM »
On my Jackal engine I usually adjust during yearly spring maintenance, and if I hear it getting clacky during the year, I check.

On the 1200 my best indication is uneven vacuum at idle.  If the vacuum is off, usually so are the valves.  I can't go by the noise because I have an PCV valve in the timing cover that makes a clatter.

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »
It takes me longer to get the vacuum check setup than to check valves. My question is, does the anal aircraft mechanic change the gaskets on the rocker covers every time as a anal aircraft mechanic would never reuse old gaskets I'm sure? I'm just a regular aircraft mechanic so I wouldn't know  :afro:
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
Maybe the question should be, What is wearing or failing in the valve operating system too the point that .002" of clearance is being added or lost every 5,000 miles   The valves do not get tight from one inspection to the next and then get loose between the next inspection.  I would look further into the inspection process if you have tight valves one inspection and then loose valves the next.   Or if every 5,000 mile, you are getting tighter valves or loose valves.  The accumulation of on one side or the other after 50,000 miles would be quite significant. 

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
I am convinced, on the old 2 valve, that a lot of it is the adjuster pounding a little dimple into the top of the valve. Plus all the pushrods and such. Adding up to the gap opening a little over time. I always got a slight, and even, opening of the gap with mine.
Of course the 4 valves are another story. I assume the roller lifter versions are stable. Mine was. The 4 valve models have a small flat cap to open the valve, instead of hitting it with the round adjuster point.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »
I am convinced, on the old 2 valve, that a lot of it is the adjuster pounding a little dimple into the top of the valve. Plus all the pushrods and such. Adding up to the gap opening a little over time. I always got a slight, and even, opening of the gap with mine.
Of course the 4 valves are another story. I assume the roller lifter versions are stable. Mine was. The 4 valve models have a small flat cap to open the valve, instead of hitting it with the round adjuster point.
Good explanation Wayne. I think it’s pretty safe to say that if the valves are properly adjusted in the first place that they can only get looser over time. I simply can’t except the theory they can or will tighten up under any situation. It just don’t make mechanical sense that a nut with a lock not can tighten itself. I will be glad to acknowledge scientific explanations:)

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
One thing that can lead the clearance to become tighter is the valve streaching as Chuck as also meantioned is a warning on the small blocks. I don't know if it common on the big blocks. I never heard of it. I know my FZR600 is prone to streach the valves after  40-60.000 miles or so. I have to confess that I never actually checked the valves on it. So I wouldn't know how tight they are. It is a PITA to do the check and to adjust it as you have to take the bike half apart more or less.

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »

On the valve jobs we did, squaring off the end of the valve stem was a standard thing.  Rockers are designed to hit the valve off-center.  The theory is that it spins the valve a few degrees each tap and keeps it seating and wearing evenly.  Most of the valve jobs I saw though showed that the spinny theory is a more-or-less thing, not an absolute.  It was common to have a little trough (not a dimple) worn into the valve top due to the rocker levering down in the same spot each time.

The result of the trough in the top is that the valve adjustment isn't accurate and probably isn't repeatable.  The feeler gauge only touches the high points.  So adjusted at the trough, you get feeler gauge thickness + depth of the trough as the actual lash.  That's going to be loud and loose.  Now let's say the valve DOES spin a bit and the trough is no longer lined up with the rocker.  the lash tightens up by the amount the trough is deep and now the valve is quiet and too tight.  Depending on where the valve is in the spin cycle, you will always get a + or - lash compared to last time.

The same observations can be applied to the came lobe and lifters.  "flat" tappets generally have a bit of a radius and the cam lobe lifts it off-center.  The two properties -- radius and cam lobe alignment -- combine to let the lifter spin a little at each go-round.  But as we see, the Guzzi flat tappets can get stuck and stop spinning.  This results in all the blah, blah, blah of the previous paragraph. 

Valves get tighter with service as easily as looser.  Carbon builds up on the seating surfaces and stems stretch, especially on 2-piece exhaust valves.  On the air-cooled VWs I overhauled, the sodium-filled, two-piece exhaust valves often had visually noticeable stretching where the head and stem were joined.  Neglecting the adjustment on those was a major cause of burned exhaust valves.  The stretching itself was a major cause of valve heads parting company with their stems.

It takes me longer to get the vacuum check setup than to check valves. My question is, does the anal aircraft mechanic change the gaskets on the rocker covers every time as a anal aircraft mechanic would never reuse old gaskets I'm sure? I'm just a regular aircraft mechanic so I wouldn't know  :afro:

Hmm.  If it takes longer to set up your manometer than check the valves you're doing it differently than I do.  I turn off the engine, remove the carbon can hoses from the manifolds and replace them with the manometer hoses.  It's about 20sec if I don't hurry.  The fastest I've ever done a valve adjust is at least twice that long.  My $8 homegrown vacuum balancer is always calibrated, which saves some time.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
I got very careless with valve adjustment on my 1972 Super Beetle over 40 years ago, to the point where one of the valve heads came off the valve stem, wedged between the cylinder head and piston dome, and locked up the rear wheels until I thought to push in the clutch pedal.  Repaired it with what was easily available then, used parts, (used head, used piston, used rod.)  But the damage to other valves was already done, and shortly after repairing the first failure, another valve disintegrated, and pretty well finished the engine.  Live and learn!

Bob
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:06:07 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
On the valve jobs we did, squaring off the end of the valve stem was a standard thing.  Rockers are designed to hit the valve off-center.  The theory is that it spins the valve a few degrees each tap and keeps it seating and wearing evenly.  Most of the valve jobs I saw though showed that the spinny theory is a more-or-less thing, not an absolute.  It was common to have a little trough (not a dimple) worn into the valve top due to the rocker levering down in the same spot each time.

The result of the trough in the top is that the valve adjustment isn't accurate and probably isn't repeatable.  The feeler gauge only touches the high points.  So adjusted at the trough, you get feeler gauge thickness + depth of the trough as the actual lash.  That's going to be loud and loose.  Now let's say the valve DOES spin a bit and the trough is no longer lined up with the rocker.  the lash tightens up by the amount the trough is deep and now the valve is quiet and too tight.  Depending on where the valve is in the spin cycle, you will always get a + or - lash compared to last time.

The same observations can be applied to the came lobe and lifters.  "flat" tappets generally have a bit of a radius and the cam lobe lifts it off-center.  The two properties -- radius and cam lobe alignment -- combine to let the lifter spin a little at each go-round.  But as we see, the Guzzi flat tappets can get stuck and stop spinning.  This results in all the blah, blah, blah of the previous paragraph. 

Valves get tighter with service as easily as looser.  Carbon builds up on the seating surfaces and stems stretch, especially on 2-piece exhaust valves.  On the air-cooled VWs I overhauled, the sodium-filled, two-piece exhaust valves often had visually noticeable stretching where the head and stem were joined.  Neglecting the adjustment on those was a major cause of burned exhaust valves.  The stretching itself was a major cause of valve heads parting company with their stems.

Hmm.  If it takes longer to set up your manometer than check the valves you're doing it differently than I do.  I turn off the engine, remove the carbon can hoses from the manifolds and replace them with the manometer hoses.  It's about 20sec if I don't hurry.  The fastest I've ever done a valve adjust is at least twice that long.  My $8 homegrown vacuum balancer is always calibrated, which saves some time.
Well Road, I managed to comprehend a good portion of what you said and understood enough to realize why it’s important to at least check my valve clearance when the book specs calls for it. Thanks for the schooling you took the time to offer and for helping us less informed guzzi owners to keep our bikes well maintained. I’m personally glad you are part of the forum as well as several other guys here that have helped me out in the past.

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »

I dont have carbon can hoses on my CalII. I have to remove the plug screws from the manifold and I set my vacum with gauges bungeed to the tank on a towel and check it at speed. I know its probably over kill or too finicky or just wrong to some but it gives me smooth and even operation throught the throttle. I tried to make a home made version but i have been spoiled by gauges.  :undecided:
Rob

1984 California II

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »
On the 1200 my best indication is uneven vacuum at idle.  If the vacuum is off, usually so are the valves.  I can't go by the noise because I have an PCV valve in the timing cover that makes a clatter.

I was going to tease about " is there a vacuum gauge hooked up on the dashboard ? " but then I saw it was you, and decided not to waste my time  :evil:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »

One of these days, a valve cover gasket on the drone engine will fail. At that point, I'll make new ones.  :smiley: With a little luck (and care) it won't, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
I usually dont have that kind of luck. So you put a washer on the screw  under the rocker cover and tighten down with a bead of silicone on it and make your own seal?  :popcorn:  ha ha...
Rob

1984 California II

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 10:56:03 PM »
NCDan i constantly am astounded by the knowledge these guys posess. Between this forum and manuals i have manage to come away with a smooth cool looking machine. Well, as soon as i replace a head and conrod bearings but thats for another thread. I began this oroject in a pretty deep hole looking up at storm clouds. Even with a few years of wrenching on Piaggios under my belt i knew i was in for a ride and these guys were definately lifesavers. If you havent been to GREG Bender’s sight yet check it out. He is incredibly kind and talented.

The tank i did myself with tons of practice and youtube videos and tips from guys here
Rob

1984 California II

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 12:12:08 AM »
I’m with y’all, annual check is overkill unless noise or no idle etc.
Very rare for B.B. to vary much but mates t3 the other day failed a leak down while looking why it spewed oil. Oil problem was unrelated (stuck breather valve) but one valve was tight as.
I’d retorqued this bike 3 times but that side needed 4!, other side was perfect.
Apart from not being re torqued enough the only way you lose clearance is valve not so much stretching but wearing out on seat face and pulling back towards spring.
Very very common on mx bikes with titanium valves but not on our ol dungers
A thou loose every 20 odd k miles normal for me but if you missed it and got to 4 you’d hear it quickly
Bet someone on here has gone a lifetime without adjusting, I’d believe it
And they bothered trying to make a hydro valve B.B., must have been very bored, trying to fix a problem that was never going to appear

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
I usually dont have that kind of luck. So you put a washer on the screw  under the rocker cover and tighten down with a bead of silicone on it and make your own seal?  :popcorn:  ha ha...

:grin: That would be no.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
I�m with y�all, annual check is overkill unless noise or no idle etc.

Not on the old small blocks.. especially the Lario.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
I check my valves every oil change on my EV and Lemans (3,000 miles). Oil and filter are cheap and I always like to clean out and inspect the pan. As for the valves it doesn't take to long to check/adjust if necessary.

Brian
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here