Author Topic: I've noticed this at traffic signals.  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
I've noticed this at traffic signals.
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
This has been more than once while on a moto or driving a car.  Sometimes I'll see a vehicle sitting behind the traffic signal line waiting for the light to change.  Often, they'll be up to a car length behind the line.  It's not like they want to have a rolling start for the green.  WTF???
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I've noticed this at traffic signals.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
This has been more than once while on a moto or driving a car.  Sometimes I'll see a vehicle sitting behind the traffic signal line waiting for the light to change.  Often, they'll be up to a car length behind the line.  It's not like they want to have a rolling start for the green.  WTF???

Traffic light behavior has changed enormously with the advent of everyone texting on phones while driving.   At a light, texting drivers get seriously into their phone, not even looking up at the road occasionally like they do when they're rolling.   They often leave lots of room in front of them to give them space to text and not rear-end anyone.

When the light changes, they're depending on other cues than the light changing (which they can't see out of the corner of their eye) to decide to take off; the car in front of them moving, the car beside them moving, or someone blowing a horn.

It's worst when BOTH drivers that are first in line on a four-lane road are texting.   Neither one of them sees the light change, so they BOTH sit there until someone blows a horn at them.   Then (typically) they'll flip the bird at the guy behind them on the horn (even if he's given them 5 or 10 seconds) and take off.

Then the third guy in line takes a few seconds to notice that the car in front of him has moved on, and so on ... At the first big fourlane-crosses-fourlane intersection where I used to commute, 15 years ago, 20 cars could get through on the 30 second green light.   Now, we're lucky if 10 cars make it as 80% of the drivers in line are doing something besides driving .....

Lannis
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:18:48 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Traffic light behavior has changed enormously with the advent of everyone texting on phones while driving.   At a light, texting drivers get seriously into their phone, not even looking up at the road occasionally like they do when they're rolling.   They often leave lots of room in front of them to give them space to text and not rear-end anyone.

When the light changes, they're depending on other cues than the light changing (which they can't see out of the corner of their eye) to decide to take off; the car in front of them moving, the car beside them moving, or someone blowing a horn.

It's worst when BOTH drivers that are first in line on a four-lane road are texting.   Neither one of them sees the light change, so they BOTH sit there until someone blows a horn at them.   Then (typically) they'll flip the bird at the guy behind them on the horn (even if he's given them 5 or 10 seconds) and take off.

Then the third guy in line takes a few seconds to notice that the car in front of him has moved on, and so on ... At the first big fourlane-crosses-fourlane intersection where I used to commute, 15 years ago, 20 cars could get through on the 30 second green light.   Now, we're lucky if 10 cars make it as 80% of the drivers in line are doing something besides driving .....

Lannis

Driving anything has changed now that the roadways are loaded with texters. Now on many roads...more on non-city roads I ride in the right third of my lane...staying as far away from CL as possible while being hyper observant of right hand road entry's.
I've had a few wandering texting drivers lead me to this...not good.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

Lannis

Lannis,

Those people are there for sport! When they are behind me texting I like to wait until they notice it's time to go before I start to go. I had one sit through the light and never look up, we just sat there. Him texting, me laughing!
I torture them. It's a hobby.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
They're leaving space for motorcycles to get ahead of them, out of courtesy.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »

There are about 5 impossibilities in that short sentence .... !

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 08:52:25 PM »
Driving anything has changed now that the roadways are loaded with texters. Now on many roads...more on non-city roads I ride in the right third of my lane...staying as far away from CL as possible while being hyper observant of right hand road entry's.
I've had a few wandering texting drivers lead me to this...not good.

I️ have always occupied the right 1/3 of my lane to give me needed reaction time if they drift over the line into my lane. The only exception is is a car is ready to pull out on the right side.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »

It's what I saw in Italy.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Phil Tunbridge

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »
Apparently in Canada people are taught to do this in case someone coming from behind doesn't stop in time and pushes you into traffic.
I don't subscribe to this myself, there are too many other what ifs to worry about.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
Why aren't the police ticketing them, up here if you are on the road texting moving or not it's a ticket.

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:34 AM »
Why aren't the police ticketing them, up here if you are on the road texting moving or not it's a ticket.

Sent from my shoe phone!

It is in Washington state too. You can`t even have your phone in your hand. Makes no difference, every other car on the road is still texting. 1 out of 1000 gets a ticket, maybe. Pretty good odds you wont.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 01:03:35 AM »
California is a hands free cell phone state as well. I see all the time text or held to the ear. I also see more issues from distracted drivers.

Crimeny, I remember when I learned to drive. Before you even start the car, adjust mirrors and set the radio, better yet no radio. Don't play with things while driving. You didn't need to be distracted.

As scary as it sounds, maybe we do need self driving cars?? They might??? be better than drivers these days??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »
A lot of modern cars are equipped with sensors which warn a driver if he's wandering out of his lane. Could this be in response to the danger posed by texting while driving!

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:35:50 AM »
The bigger picture is people don't want to drive and are giving up trying to learn. We will all be in one giant Congo line with our driverless cars in the city ...

I swear people have forgotten how to accelerate around a corner...its just brake brake brake...oh my god a 90 degree turn what shall I do but go slower...stopping in a divided hi speed two lane to let someone in?...yes yes I've  passed three cars at a light all texting and not moving on the green

Face it. Cars will be driverless electric boxes you get in while texting on your way to work.

It's NOT driving anymore it's a video game people put up with that's in the way of where people need to be...it's an annoyance best avoided...best to fill in your unproductive time...driving has been made so safe simple and protected the driver doesn't have to do anything anymore...we really should get rid of that human at the wheel we'd be better off................ ...Aren't I right?

And there I am the only helmet sticking above the rooflines in three lanes both directions stopped at a light with 20 cars in each lane...

I've become a unicorn in a herd of elephants...I wish they were elephants they'd be nicer

Rant over....but keep watching this space...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Bonaventure

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »
Lannis,

Those people are there for sport! When they are behind me texting I like to wait until they notice it's time to go before I start to go. I had one sit through the light and never look up, we just sat there. Him texting, me laughing!
I torture them. It's a hobby.

Hunter

For even more sport, hypothetically and for the sake of discussion only, consider what effect a proximity cell phone jammer might have at such stoplights and etc. 

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/reviews/celljammers/

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
When you see one of these head down, 1 car length behind the line texter, stop beside them, not at the line.  As Lannis said, they are waiting for an environmental signal to start rolling.  Step on the gas as if you are going to go thru the light and watch them run the light.  Most drivers will learn a lesson real fast for their stupid move. 

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »

Sent from my shoe phone!

This is my biggest beef.  Why can't law enforcement be more aggressive about this?  When I had my BMW K75RT I could see down into people's cars.  Imagine how many folks I could bust if my bike were unmarked and I was an officer of the law. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
This is my biggest beef.  Why can't law enforcement be more aggressive about this?  When I had my BMW K75RT I could see down into people's cars.  Imagine how many folks I could bust if my bike were unmarked and I was an officer of the law.

They won't be aggressive because the policemen and their families, and the judge and their families, and the legislators and their families are all doing the same thing.

Texting and talking while driving kills thousands of people every year, disproportionally teenagers and young people.   BUT (just like drunk driving 50 years ago) texting-while-driving is still "socially acceptable", and so the police won't be aggressive at all about enforcing it.   People, especially addicts, really think it's OK to do and don't understand the big deal.

I (and my family who cares about me) as a motorcyclist and therefore under a high threat from these addicts, DO care about it, but you feel like a fart in a whirlwind trying to say anything about the subject anywhere but here, where others are under the same risk and feel the same way ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:41:11 AM by Lannis »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
I swear people have forgotten how to accelerate around a corner...

That's the best part!

For even more sport, hypothetically and for the sake of discussion only, consider what effect a proximity cell phone jammer might have at such stoplights and etc. 

Mama like!
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

In Georgia, the officer would have to stop texting each other, to notice it.
Yes it is illegal here too, but.....
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
  I am afraid we have lost the ability to be an individual.  It seems that "the collective" is drawn upon to make decisions about normal everyday activities. Maybe this was always a part of us, but to this extent I believe is something new.
  So many feel compelled to stay in contact to all of their 'friends" all the time. I feel lucky to have two true friends and  still I cannot imagine being up each others arse 24/7.  Someone indicated addiction and I think that description is correct.     
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
Not to be a naysayer, but there are several intersections around here that are accident prone, like one a week. At those, I lay back maybe a half car. Several times cars sitting at or over the line have been hit waiting for the light. A truck just ahead of me at the light got broadsided because a vehicle approaching the the light made a left turn without looking causing the other guy to swerve . The person who caused the incident drove away.
Again, not all lights, but the high traffic ones, I layback.
Oh yeah, testers get the horn for about 50 yards.
Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
  I am afraid we have lost the ability to be an individual.  It seems that "the collective" is drawn upon to make decisions about normal everyday activities. Maybe this was always a part of us, but to this extent I believe is something new.
  So many feel compelled to stay in contact to all of their 'friends" all the time. I feel lucky to have two true friends and  still I cannot imagine being up each others arse 24/7.  Someone indicated addiction and I think that description is correct.     

The more life choices change, the problems remain the same.  People.  Image the comments that could be made if we were debating the issue of spitting tobacco juice everywhere as was done in the past.  Or who should clean up after your horse.  Or out house versus being force to connect to the new sanitary sewer system.  Like the robot versus labor debate.  Humans will always find something to fill their time. 

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Enjoy driving and riding, you are among the last generations to have the opportunity.  30 years from now maybe sooner, actual human control of a motor vehicle will be a real novelty.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Enjoy driving and riding, you are among the last generations to have the opportunity.  30 years from now maybe sooner, actual human control of a motor vehicle will be a real novelty.

Perhaps this is selfish of me, but this is exactly how I feel.  I know that my best riding days are behind me.  Glad I was really able to enjoy them while still young and before cell phones became so prevalent.  My best year ever was back in 1994 on a brand new BMW K75RT.  Did 15,000 miles.  My worst - this year.  Managed to get 2800 on the LeMans.  Times are a changing, and they definitely aint for the better.   :sad:
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »

I would like to see the cops being allowed to see your phone log when you're pulled over.
eg.
You are seen wandering randomly in your lane at 4:36 pm
You are stopped and your phone log is checked and you were on a call between 4:32 and 4:38...
BANG !!!
You cannot be forced to show your phone, but if you refuse, you will be summoned to appear and your records will be pulled. Then the penalty will be a LOT worse....
Just show the 'phone. Looking down into cars from the high vantage point of an interstate truck cabin, a massive percentage of drivers are playing with their phones on their lap.
(I think it's their phones !)  :embarrassed:

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
Eons ago, before the advent of cell 'phones, my company required that you pass their driving course before you could use a company vehicle.  Instructors very strongly insisted that if you could not see the pavement beneath the vehicle stopped in front of you, you were following too closely.  Good advice!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
Eons ago, before the advent of cell 'phones, my company required that you pass their driving course before you could use a company vehicle.  Instructors very strongly insisted that if you could not see the pavement beneath the vehicle stopped in front of you, you were following too closely.  Good advice!
Touche'

Bonaventure

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »

In driver's ed in 1979 I was told by the teacher that when you pull up behind someone and stop you should be able to see their rear tires meet the pavement. No closer, but not too much farther back either. 

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
I just drove  from Tulsa to the Florida Panhandle and back. I had people drift over into my lane, pass on the far right berm, drive under the speed limit in the passing lane, tailgate me even though there was no way for me to get out of their way. The wife asks how I stay so calm while all this is happening. I told her it is business as usual for motorcyclists. As far as sitting back at a red light,  I often stay back a little from the light at night (about midnight en route home from work). That way there is no eye contact made with the persons in the other car. They are usually quick to jump off to a jackrabbit start, having been given a "hole shot" I'd rather have the arseholes out in front where I can watch them.   :afro:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here