Author Topic: New, again, member with discovery of a long-term electrical issue Breva 750  (Read 4882 times)

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
Hi all!

Tho' my moniker is RinTinHat, my real name is Jesse. I have a dog (used to be more) and my former moniker was "jest2dogs".

Well, it's been awhile, I'm down to one dog, the "log-in" wouldn't recognize my old username, and so I am here, anew.

RinTinHat? The dog association and the fact that I have three bikes that are not mainstream, so I joke about wearing a tin foil hat. Oh yeah, I currently house a 2005 Breva 750, a 2006 Royal Enfield Bullet ("Ennie") and 2015 Ural cT.

These bikes follow a lineup that goes back 45 years and totals about 13 or 14 bikes. I still think I have one stashed in a shed somewhere, but...

3 MG's. 3 Beemers. 3 Yammers. A Bultaco. The RE. The Ural. A Korean scooter. And, hauntingly, I just know there's one out there, rusting in some dark shed, calling my name...

Well, here's the ongoing issue. In 2008 I bought a leftover, 2007 B750. Loved it, but it had this weird running issue. After a 20-40 mile rural highway run I would come back into town and drop speed to about 3,100 rpm. The bike never liked that. It bucked and hunted and stalled. The dealer tried wiring in a rectifier externally. There was some relief, but not really. It also hated short runs. I'd let it warm up (on a group ride I was always left behind) before heading out. But on a local run, like across town to pickup a package it really was scary. I'd come out to the bike after 5-10 minutes of being parked. I'd start it up. Good. I'd putter out to the main road and pull out to merge with moving traffic, roll on the throttle and go. Only to immediately stop as the motor cut out at 2,000 rpm!  It was like putting on the brakes! Just asking to be rear-ended. Thankfully, when this would happen I'd be able to pull to the curb or an alley. I'd roll the throttle and it would not go above 2K. I'd have to sit there and wait a while as it decided if it wanted to cooperate or not.

Some of my history was journaled here over four years ago. Frankly, I stopped using this bike on a regular basis. Then, in 2013, while on an Easter Sunday ride with an inexperienced rider, the bike was totaled and we all finished the ride via three ambulances. Long story made short, we all lived but now live with varying physical remembrances. Shortly afterward I replaced the '07 with a NOS '05 picked up from a good friend. But it languished unused for quite awhile as my wife can no longer sit pillion due the plate in her leg.

And, wouldn't ya' know it, this '05 started exhibiting the same problems as the '07! The dealer's service department tried custom remapping (a bust, and returned to stock). It was suggested I might have a bad this or that and to try used parts to save money (a very good suggestion, since no one had any hard answers) but I never got around to fiddling with it until last spring. (The Ural was purchased in March 2016 in hopes the wife could again join me on rides. It has been so far, successful!)

Last spring after storing it inside a neighbor's garage with the float charger occasionally connected to maintain the juices, I gave the bike a chance to go for a ride. It was DEAD. The battery, apparently the original, lead-acid, was like a stone. I bought a new, fully charged gel unit from my local battery guy and hooked it up. I turned the key and was almost blinded by the brightness of the dash lights!. After a bit of coaxing and fresh fuel, she fired up. I let her warm up and took her for a local spin.

OMG, it was fantastic! No hesitations. No bucking! Even after a short cool-down to mimic an errand, it fired up and had no issues. It was ALIVE! A ride the next day was a joy.

About two weeks later, I took her out for a ride and, though initially fine, at the end of the ride I noticed...3,100 rpm hunting again, leaning towards bucking. I put the float charger on and the next time it was okay but not as wonderful as the first day of the new battery.

In late September we took the truck (with Ural in tow) across country for family business. Mum had always wanted to stowaway in a steamer trunk on my various adventures. But the closest I could offer was a last ride for her ashes in the sidecar trunk to her childhood summer home in Biddeford Pool, ME. I think she would've appreciated that. While we were gone I secured the Guzzi in a friend's huge (6 bay) garage. Life being life, I didn't get back to it until a few nights ago.

The battery was dead. (I had never intended to let it sit for so long..another story, another time) so I never disconnected any terminals. When the key was turned "ON" the headlight glowed like a faint, amber ember. When the key was turned "OFF" the headlight went out...BUT the red oil light on the dash came on! Eventually it would fade out. I think another light also glowed but the oil light was most prominent. And this with the key "OFF". Did this several times. Bike on the side stand, bars not moved.

So, now it's all making sense. The bike runs great with a fully charged battery. If it has anything less than a full charge then it starts running badly at slow speed, even cutting out entirely after a short layover (Like during a local errand). Once its going, it can haul ass down the highway, but in town, nope. And the mileage has dropped a lot compared to what the original owner experienced. I have averaged 42.2 mpg since I got it in April 2013 (he claimed high 40's and my '07 got high forties) and it now has only 5,018 miles on it.

BTW, the battery, purchased last spring, rejuvenated nicely with a real charger attached. The float charger was too wimpy to restore it. It is a 220 cranking battery and it now reads 315 and 12.75 volts. It's got a" good to go" from my battery guy.

So, I must have a "bleed" somewhere. And the '07 must've had a similar bleed somewhere.

Any takers on this one? My six-bay garage friend is pretty handy with electrical, so I may enlist his aid when I go over to re-install the battery later this weekend. Is it an oil-sender issue? Or an ignition switch or is there a code involved?

Two B750's, same issue. There's a weakness somewhere.

Thanks for listening. Glad to be back in the fold again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:26:25 PM by RinTinHat »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
probably not the answer but does it have those crummy Siemens relays? get a full set for under $20 from Pyro Dan.. dpguzzi.com
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

twowings

Search 'parasitic draw' and use the t/s techniques...I'd also suggest since it sat awhile you check/clean connectors, battery terminals, look for pinched wires, clean ground connections, etc...the usual stuff...many times once a battery dies, it never really comes back all the way to peak performance and modern fuel injection is not tolerant of weak current...HTH

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Jesse,
I remember your Jest2dogs name from the yahoo Guzzi 750 group.  For some reason it stuck in my mind.  We must have talked there about something.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MG_750/info

Glad to see that you're back,
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
fotoguzzi,

I do not know of the brand of relays on the bike. I will give a look tomorrow and consider your suggestion. Always a good idea to upgrade weak links. Thanks for the link.

two wings,

Thanks for  the tip on the key "buzz" word search, "parasitic draw". Yep, question all the usual suspects.  :wink:

Joe (sign216),

Yes, I recall "sign216", as well! Thanks for remembering. That was some time ago. Same guy here, just a little stiffer in all the wrong places and even more easy-going...More like,  :popcorn: We will talk more. I am sure. Where are you located?

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
I too remember "Jest2Dogs. Welcome back.

I have found there is a parasitic draw in the dash. Don't know what it is but it's there. 4 weeks on a new battery and it's flat.

I am on my second wet cell Yuasa since new, but it is getting a bit sick. I don't use a battery tender but let it draw down over about 3 weeks on a new battery, about 2 weeks with the tired one. Anecdotally, this seems to look after the battery better. I will be continuing to use the Yuasa wet cell, 2 batteries over 14 years seems not too bad to me.

I have never had problems with the motor running hairy simply because the battery is down. If it turns over it runs just fine.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Well for starters, and I apologize if I missed it in the OP, but what's the charging system output like when the bike is running, at idle, at throttle?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
Good point Kev.

To the OP, mine maxes out at 14.8v,  and holds the lights going at idle. (just over 13v when the battery is good).
03 Breva

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
Hi Muzz!

Nice to be back.

Back in 1987 my fiance' got a Rotary Club Scholarship to the University in Auckland. I traveled down there a few months after she settled in and we were married on the Memorial Steps on One Tree Hill in Auckland with a wedding party of about 12 Kiwi's. She and I walked through the pastures after the ceremony accompanied by a bagpiper! I carried her over a stile and we ended up at the reverend's house for a reception. She had donned sneakers for the trek through the grass but it did not protect her dress from picking up sheep dung. LOL

We stayed on for four months until she abandoned her studies. Ended up touring the country in our '61 Morris Minor for a month. What a hoot!

No tree there now, vandals cut it down and, perhaps, telling, the marriage only lasted about seven years.

I'm remarried now. Barb and I have been together since 1994 and married since 2003. She's a minister, we skipped the middle man. :laugh: This time around it was an indoor wedding, no sheep, no mess and a packed house. Every day we appreciate each other more and more. Life is good.
................... ...............
Kev M,

Hey, thanks for bringing up some important, basic questions that have not yet been addressed.  :thumb:

I will be getting the rejuvenated battery installed tomorrow and I will get those numbers checked. Sometimes I need all the help I can get.  :violent1:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:10:33 PM by RinTinHat »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Sorry, I read through your post but by the time I got to the end I had lost the plot.

Please post just the one bike you are asking about, model and symptoms

Is it a Breva 750?

Thanks
Roy

BTW welcome back.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:23:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New, again, member with discovery of a long-term electrical issue Breva 750
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »

Joe (sign216),

Yes, I recall "sign216", as well! Thanks for remembering. That was some time ago. Same guy here, just a little stiffer in all the wrong places and even more easy-going...More like,  :popcorn: We will talk more. I am sure. Where are you located?

Jesse,

I thought I had my location in my profile, but it must have dropped out.  I'm in Southeastern Mass, near Taunton.  And you?

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »
Kiwi_Roy,

Ha! Yeh my stories can sometimes get a little convoluted. Sorry you got lost. It was all in the hub-bub of rejoining the pack, all that barking and butt smelling going on. LOL

My earlier '07 B750 and my current '05 B750 both exhibit poor running at 3,100 rpm unless the battery is brand new or at the top of a strong, fresh charge. Runs like a champ on the highway (after a lengthy warmup) but is terrible around town. When starting up after a short local stop, it cuts out at 2,000 rpm making a merge with moving traffic quite hair raising.

The battery needs to be frequently topped up and even that doesn't help most of the time. Dealer could not answer  the issue and suggested swapping out parts from "used"/cheaper sources (ECU, fuel pump, etc..) but I have not pursued that yet.

Last March the original lead-acid battery finally turned to stone (despite regular touchups with the float charger over the winter) and a fresh, new gel battery transformed the bike. Bright dash lights, no bucking/hunting at the 3K rpm and all was well for about two weeks when the bucking started again. Float charging did not cure it. No running output charges have been measured so far.

I was away for most of the fall and I stored the bike w/o considering removing the battery leads (I know. I know.) Last week turning the key "ON" produced an amber ember of a "headlight". And, strangely, turning "OFF" the key produced the red oil light to light up on the dash, though it faded after a few seconds. This was repeated several times. Bike on side stand, bars not moved.

The gel battery was removed, fully recharged and is now showing 12.75 V and, for a rated 220 cranking battery, it is showing 315! The battery guy said its good!

Today the battery goes back in and I am enlisting the aid of a smarter guy than me to record some electrical data. And maybe we'll chase down some "parasitic draw" somewhere. No one seems to have a clue as to a specific hot spot, but many recognize the symptoms.

-Jesse

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
Joe/sign216,

Oh, so, you're neah Fawl Rivah then? My Dad bought a Trojan cabin cruiser in Fall River in 1964. We had a lotta fun with that.

I was born in Lowell (1951) and through a long course of life's events eventually graduated from Fitchburg State in 1990. (My B.S. and $2.00 will get me a cuppa. "Kiwi_Roy" has already gotten lost with my BS. lol)

Somewhere I still retain the ability to "Mass speak". It comes out when I call, or return home. Years ago, at work here on the left coast, I would step outside to privately call home on Father's or Mother's day. When I came back in and started talking my co-workers would chuckle and ask, "How's the folks?"

Port Angeles, WA is about as far north and west as one can get in the lower 48 without needing to chop wood for heat. Surrounded by water and mountains, its a beautiful place to live. Rains a lot in winter but that keeps out the tourists, at least for the season. We try to tell them it rains "all the time", but it's not true.  :grin: We can pretty much ride year round out here with the right gear.

-Jesse

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
Jesse,

Glad to hear of another Bay Stater.  Don't knock the UMass college system.  All my kids are going there.  Private schools are too much dough. 

And as for your complaint that in WA it "rains a lot in winter."  Well....I'll just say that I also belong to a snowthrower forum.  A Godsend in keeping my 25 yr Tecumseh sidevalve going.  Rain might be a nice alternative.

I'm jealous of your climate but it's hard to imagine living in a state as young as Washington.  It joined the Union in something like 1980, right?

Joe

P.S.  Go Patriots!
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
The battery needs to be frequently topped up and even that doesn't help most of the time

Kev, does this sound to you like the V7 overcharging problem?

I must have topped up my wet cell battery 4 times in 7 years, which is hardly regular topping up.

I can say that my Breva hiccups a couple of times when going from open to closed loop, then goes like a turbine all the way up to the blood line if I want to (although I usually limit it to 7000 if I am caning it a bit).

I will do a more definitive voltage check next time I fire it up, although the figures will be slightly skewed with the tired battery.
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »
I think the first step will be to measure the Voltage, it should be very easy to eliminate. strap a meter to your tank and ride around a bit.
As long as the Voltage is 12 to 14 Volts it should be no problem but if its outside that range it's not good.
Muzz suggests it might be overcharging, I have seen a Guzzi cut out if it goes over 15. drop down about 500 revs then cut back in kangaroo hopping.
Before you start clean the battery terminals and inspect the main battery ground, some Vaseline on those points won't go amiss.
See if you can find the regulator ground and make sure thats nice and clean also.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_750_Breva.gif

I take it you are near the ocean, I wonder if salt air is playing havoc with the connectors and sockets, perhaps get some Craig's De-Oxit and go over those.

It may not be Voltage related but lets eliminate the easy stuff first.

You can check for parasitic drain boy taking the battery Negative off then connect a small lamp say 2 Watt between negative and chassis. if you are very careful you can check it with a multimeter but if you accidentally turn the key on it will pop the meter fuse and tell you there's zero current, A 12 Volt lamp won't do that

Good Luck
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:36:34 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear the running voltages of the charging system. Then we plot the next step.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline willard

• New Egg
  • Breva 750ie
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
 :popcorn:

This thread is interesting to me because I also ride a Breva 750. But I have not experienced the same problems.

My Breva is an '04. I believe it has a charging issue, because the battery seems to die fairly frequently. However, no matter the battery charge, if it starts... It runs well.

Offline Hugh Straub

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
My 2006 Breva has a parasitic draw.  The poor fix is to pull the two main fuses when the bike sits up and otherwise put a battery tender on every couple of days.

More importantly, the  bucking issue probably is unrelated to the battery.  On my bike it was a defective throttle position sensor.  I suggest pulling the TPS and checking the resistance with an ohm meter over the range of operation.  I picked up a used TPS for a few bucks from a wrecked Harley Sportster (Harley uses the same part) and the bike was transformed into the best, most pleasant bike I have ever owned.  A simple, quick and perfect fix to the bucking/surging problem.
Brgds

Hugh
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »
:popcorn:

This thread is interesting to me because I also ride a Breva 750. But I have not experienced the same problems.

My Breva is an '04. I believe it has a charging issue, because the battery seems to die fairly frequently. However, no matter the battery charge, if it starts... It runs well.

The Breva does have a parasitic draw. It's built in. No fix. I assume it is the clock but don't know. It showed up very early on in the models life. My mate recently bought a 2006 Breva, went on holiday and found just that.

I have found (and my theory may not be correct) that usage is actually better for a wet cell battery than keeping it fully topped up (read battery tender). I use a 3 amp smart charger. The downside is that you have to remember to put the charger on. I find 3 weeks would be the max, and yes, I have been caught out more than once. :embarrassed:

Once running, a low/flat battery has never me caused problems when running.

A word of warning, early attempts by others to jump start from another battery ended up with fried ECU's. Again, if the bike was running at reasonable revs when the other battery was being disconnected from the system I have no idea why it would do that. It was enough though to dissuade me from doing it.
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 03:22:31 PM »
The Breva does have a parasitic draw. It's built in. No fix. I assume it is the clock but don't know. It showed up very early on in the models life. My mate recently bought a 2006 Breva, went on holiday and found just that.

Part of the parasitic draw will be the permanent connection to ECU pin 17 but I doubt that would be more than a few micoamps.
The Direct connect Voltage regulator will also be drawing current in the milliamp range, the regulator is connected via one of the 30 Amp fuses.
I would be interested to know haw much those two items draw, if someone were to pull the two main fuses and measure across the fuse holder.
A word of caution, it's very easy to blow the milliamp range fuse, then the meter reads zero of course because the circuit is open, it's safer to use a resistor say 100 Ohms and measure the Voltage across it.
A 12 Volt LED or idiot light bulb is another way, turn the key on it will light fully, turn the key off it should go out.

There's one easy fix, ride the bugger, don't park it  :bike-037:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:24:09 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »

There's one easy fix, ride the bugger, don't park it  :bike-037:

I have found that to be the best fix. :thumb:
03 Breva

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:31 PM »
Ok, so I went out and fired Guzzimodo up. As I said, the battery is over 7 years old and tired. Bike had been for a longish run 2 days ago.

12.32v  Resting before test
11.72v  Ignition (and therefore lights on). Battery IS sick
11.9v    Bike started with initial idle which is low, approx 800rpm
13.18v  Advanced fast idle lever, 1900rpm
12.65v  After about 2 mins with fast idle lever pulled back. Idle 950rpm
13.5v    Took revs up to 2400rpm
13.6v    Dropped it back to 1400rpm. This is just a bit above standard idle and is more than running everything.
12.85v  Dropped back to standard idle of 1000rpm. Still above its original rest voltage.
12.74v  Stopped bike. In the time to do all that the battery voltage has come up just over .4v.

On the Yuasa wet cell batteries I have found that when they are new and fully charged the resting voltage will be close to 13.5 volts. At this figure I would expect the voltage when charging would max out at about 14.4 to 14.8 volts. My battery at present is a good 1 volt down from new.

I would certainly check your charge rate Jesse, and also it sounds as though there could be another problem somewhere. With both new and old batteries the donk in my bike has always been smooth and even.

Incidentally, anyone have any thoughts on 12.75 volts on a fully charged gel cell? Without knowing it's age it sounds slightly low.

03 Breva

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
I'm never quite sure what people mean by gel cell, something different from Absorbed Glass Mat?

I wouldn't worry about 12.75 as long as it's starting but I agree it does sound a bit low.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:43:22 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
I'm never quite sure what people mean by gel cell, something different from Absorbed Glass Mat?

I wouldn't worry about 12.75 as long as it's starting but I agree it does sound a bit low.

As I understand it Roy (and I could be completely cocked up here) an AGM is literally a wet cell with the electrolyte restrained by a fibreglass mat. A gel cell cell has the electrolyte in a gel form. The advantage being that if a cell ruptures in doesn't leak acid as it is in semi-solid form.

Edit: I used to sell batteries amongst other things and one thing the agent said was that the brand I sold had Calcium technology. What the advantages were I don't know, but what happened as the voltage approached 12v smart chargers were thrown in their thinking and did not recognise it as a battery. So, when your battery got down the only way to charge it was with a "dumb" charger which didn't give two hoots about the batteries voltage. I have an old transformer type charger where I replaced the germanium rectifier with a silicon one. I have rescued numerous batteries by forcing them to charge enough so that a smart charger can begin to work.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:44:03 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Muzz,
         As you say a smart charger throws up it's hands if the battery is too flat, I wouldn't have one except it was all I could get on a trip with a bad charging new to me EV
I have a couple of old 12 Volt wall worts that put out half an Amp, enough to wake up a battery.
I remember using Selenium rectifiers to make chargers, I always wanted to find an old tube Tungar Bulb type.
Remember those?  Up to 15 Amps, wow
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:59:23 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
I have rescued numerous batteries by forcing them to charge enough so that a smart charger can begin to work.

I was just talking to a co-worker w a Mustang who had the same problem.  Had to borrow my 30yr old dumb charger to wake up his battery enough for the smart charger to work.

Just had to buy a 6v smart charger for my antique cycles.  Had been using modified old cell/toy chargers, but couldn't get the final voltage exactly correct,....so I broke down and bought something.  Sad.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline RinTinHat

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
Well, with ("gel") battery freshly charged we each went for a couple of spins around the block.

My buddy, with the 6-bay garage got a chance to take it for a spin, a thank you nod, for letting me house the bike over the winter. I left the keys with him but didn't check the odometer... :laugh:

After the short spins (<1/2 mile each) we checked the output. It was a little difficult getting the throttle to hold steady. As I may have noted, I do not have the hands of a neurosurgeon, but I can carry a drink without spilling it.

Key OFF: 12.72V at the terminals and at starter.

950 RPM idle: 12.50V

1,500 RPM 12.85V-12.90V

2,000 RPM: 13.25V-13.40V

2,500 RPM: 13.95V-14.10V

3,000 RPM: 14.10V-14.15V

There wasn't much notable change above 3,000 RPM.

I parked the bike and attached the float charger, all is good. My buddy has been keeping an eye on it and says he has not seen the charger in "charge" mode, only "storage" mode since I left it, but then again he is not checking it 24/7.

I hope this answers Kiwi_Roy's questions.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »
I see nothing wrong with those Voltages

How's it running now?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
I see nothing wrong with those Voltages

How's it running now?
+1
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here