Author Topic: Daytona Belt Replacement & Crank Pulley  (Read 16573 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Daytona Belt Replacement & Crank Pulley
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:58 AM »
So right now I'm in the process of tearing down the front of the engine to get into the timing case to replace the oil pump & gear mod from Joe Caruso.

It's going Ok so far no special tools used lined up the engine to the marks and used a rattle gun to undo the bolts on the pulleys and everything has stayed in place, although it is a bit scary how easy the cams can turn with the belts off.

However I was bit shocked when removing the belts, I could get the forward belt off no problem but to remove the rear belt I had to pull the crank pulleys first, once they were off I took off the belt.

Is this normal, surely even Guzzi didn't intend that you need to remove the crank pulleys to replace a belt?

Or did they?

Wondering about removing some metal on base of the casing at the pulley to see if that would help.

Anybody have a magic fix?

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Daytona Belt Replacement & Crank Pulley
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »
Wondering about removing some metal on base of the casing at the pulley to see if that would help.

That's the quick and dirty method of changing out the belts.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:40 AM »
That's the way they all are.  Removing the pulley isn't hard, though.  The threaded holes in the pulley are for a puller.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »
Here's a couple suggestions on the oil pump replacement:

(1) use the shorter bolts that come with the pump.  DO NOT use the old bolts, which are too long for the Caruso pump and will foul the crankshaft.

(2) pack the pump with light assembly grease before you bolt it up.  Because of the way oil flows through the filter assembly on this motor, it isn't possible to prime the pump by putting oil down the rocker oil lines.  If you put it together dry, it may not have enough suction to draw. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:09:39 AM »
“Wondering about removing some metal on base of the casing at the pulley to see if that would help.”

That is how I removed mine, and it was a fairly quick solution.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »
Ok thank you all for the answers & dxhall thanks for the extra tips on the grease and fasteners.

I got some tips from Joe and put them into a powerpoint show and alternately a pdf.

If anybody wants it drop me a PM

As I'm going along I'm taking the odd photo here and there in order to document how I went about it, so far it's been straightforward but a lot of work in my opinion, just to get to the belts.

See here for the pics, but that's all they are and I'm not very far into it, as this is all virgin ground for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GsGblVvTeJhPL68G3

I agree removing the pulley is not difficult but I think it is pretty sloppy engineering on Guzzi's part that it forms a part of the procedure, you don't need to do that on a Ducati.

Guzzi could have come up with either a different pulley design or modified the casings in order that the belts would slide off.

Given that the nut and pulley are on the crank, it really is something I'd rather not be taking on and off regularly, one slip with that nut and you're in BIG trouble, plus the wear and tear on the threads.

Perhaps I'm an old woman but the thought of having to consistently undo a nut whose threads are on the crank as a regular maintenance item is an appallingly bad piece of design.

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Perhaps I'm an old woman but the thought of having to consistently undo a nut whose threads are on the crank as a regular maintenance item is an appallingly bad piece of design.

You have to remember that this was a race engine, designed in the heat of battle. It is *not* your typical run forever Guzzi engine. The 4V was done as an add on as expeditiously as possible. On the original Daytonas, even the u joint/ drive shaft was throw away.
You only have to change the belts every 18000 miles or so. In the typical life of an engine, that isn't very many times.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »

If you don't move the cam locations from this point, can you just remove the cover, replace the pump and put everything back together?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
Theoretically, yes. What will happen, though, is the cams will move when you are doing all this. No big deal, really.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
I'll soon be putting the steel gears in my bike, John, so I'll follow your thread with interest!

Regarding the belts:  I changed them on mine as soon as I bought it, and I know for sure I didn't have to remove the pulley.  So far as I can remember, the casing was intact beneath it too.  Odd!  (..or maybe I just didn't notice it had been ground back to give extra clearance?)  I suppose I'll find out for sure when I open it back up.

Steve

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
I'll soon be putting the steel gears in my bike, John, so I'll follow your thread with interest!

Regarding the belts:  I changed them on mine as soon as I bought it, and I know for sure I didn't have to remove the pulley.  So far as I can remember, the casing was intact beneath it too.  Odd!  (..or maybe I just didn't notice it had been ground back to give extra clearance?)  I suppose I'll find out for sure when I open it back up.

Steve

The castings aren't exactly the same. Surprise surprise.  :smiley: On some, you can cave man the belt off without clearancing the casting. If you have the tools, taking the pulleys off is a walk in the park.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
Thanks Steve, Don't know how much metal you would need to remove, I'm reluctant to take a grinder to the casings as it does not look like there is a lot of metal there

My bad it's not driven off the crank of course but off a stub shaft above driven by a gear wheel at 1/2 crank speed

Unless I was doing something really stupid I could not see any way to get the inner belt to clear the shoulders to get it free

My plan is just to go in now remove the cover and then do the mods. If the cams do move I suppose I'll have to get into trying to re-time it all as I don't see a way of locking the cams

From the picture though you can see the shaft positions so I hope I won't have to get involved with setting the whole valve timing up again, I'll also try to match mark the shafts to the timing case too, just a belt & braces

A friend has just done this a few months back and did not report any problems.

Chuck if you have any advice I'm all ears

John

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »

If you don't move the cam locations from this point, can you just remove the cover, replace the pump and put everything back together?

Doesn't the upper bit of the cam belt housing stay in place around the camshaft?

I don't remember needing to pull the pulley off of the camshaft. But then, it was ten years ago.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
Really, as long as you have the left cylinder at TDC ready to fire, you can take the pulley off, etc. As long as the mark lines up with the tit on the casting when at TDC, you can put the belt on, and you're good.
IMG_5457 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Same deal on the D side.  The cam will line up with the tit on the casting.
IMG_5456 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
The sequence is TDC ready to fire on the S cylinder, change the belts, stretch the S belt. Rotate 270 degrees so the D cylinder is TDC ready to fire, stretch the D belt.
Note that there is a vernier for fine adjustment of each cam pulley. Pay attention when you take the pulleys off.  :smiley: Probably you don't want to mess with it if the engine has been running ok. The beauty is you "can" change the cam timing with a degree wheel, if necessary.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
Just looked at the manual DOH!!!

Yes Wayne you're right you don't have to remove the top pulleys, wish you had told me earlier. Well that's certainly how it looks from the part book

The top parts of the casing can stay in place that way you don't have to remove the cam pulleys, that would have made life a little easier, Oh well even as it means I don't need to mess with anything up there from now on, so less chance of disturbing the shafts............. Thanks  :bow:

Must pay more attention

Now goes away to see where he put the cam pulleys and put them back onto the shafts  :embarrassed:

Chuck thanks for that, I certainly do not want to mess with the "Very Nears" that's the stuff nightmares are made of

John

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
Hmmm.....if you don't have to remove those pully's on the cams then it seems like a fairly straight forward job provided you can lock those cams in place or am I missing something? 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
I would say fairly straightforward BC, just a lot of crap to remove

As long as the cams and crank are lined up to the marks and when the belts are removed.

After that as long as the crank doesn't move you are fine, even if the cams move you can just rotate them back to the marks.

As I'm trying to take pictures I should be able to put something together as a guide.

Just another thing I'm guessing here but are the Verniers the internal gears on the cam pulleys? If so I'd match mark them with paint, obviously not necessary for this job but it's a good idea

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
Hmmm.....if you don't have to remove those pully's on the cams then it seems like a fairly straight forward job provided you can lock those cams in place or am I missing something?

Good luck with doing that. There are springs involved, and things tend to move around when you are even taking the belts off.
Just another thing I'm guessing here but are the Verniers the internal gears on the cam pulleys?
Yes. Luigi didn't always get it perfect, btw. You can make them perfect with a degree wheel.
Sounds like you're on top of it now, John.. carry on.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
It's not quite as simple as it first appears.  The cause of potential grief is that, if you follow the instructions in the manual, the right-side cam is under valve spring pressure when you remove the belt from its pulley.  When you bump the pulley as you put the new belt on, (you will), the valve spring pressure from the open valve will spin the cam.

If you've marked the pulleys, you can probably get it back where it was.  You can't be sure you've got it right unless you do the drill with the degree wheel.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
Good luck with doing that. There are springs involved, and things tend to move around when you are even taking the belts off. Yes. Luigi didn't always get it perfect, btw. You can make them perfect with a degree wheel.
Sounds like you're on top of it now, John.. carry on.  :smiley:

I'm not second guessing you on this as you clearly know more than myself, but I didn't have any problems with the running of my bike after I changed the belts. I just removed the belts, installed the new ones and made sure the pully's didn't move.

Luck?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
I'm not second guessing you on this as you clearly know more than myself, but I didn't have any problems with the running of my bike after I changed the belts. I just removed the belts, installed the new ones and made sure the pully's didn't move.

Luck?

Not at all.. as long as the pulleys didn't move, and obviously they didn't.
As dxhall said
When you bump the pulley as you put the new belt on, (you will), the valve spring pressure from the open valve will spin the cam.
And previously, I'd said..
Good luck with doing that. There are springs involved, and things tend to move around when you are even taking the belts off.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »

Luck?

(Edited)  No, skill.   :thumb:  Left out the comma.   :grin: 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:34:43 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
Maybe my motor has the Special Low Friction Cam Lobe option. 

Seriously - part of the timing drill is to turn the cam counterclockwise until the exhaust valves open 1mm.  Then, with the cam in that position, you install the vernier gear in the inner part of the outer pulley.

The cam on my motor would never stay at the 1mm-open position.  When the dial indicator showed 1mm and I removed the tool which turns the cam (which you must do to install the vernier) the cam just spun backwards.

if your cam will stay in place at 1mm lift, you're livin' right.  Buy some lotto tickets.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:48 AM »
Anybody got any idea where I can purchase a belt stretching tool?

Appears they are now manufactured from Unobtainium

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
Anybody got any idea where I can purchase a belt stretching tool?

Appears they are now manufactured from Unobtainium

John

<scratching head> Didn't I send you a drawing?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
Sorry Chuck is it in that folder of tools

I'll take another look many thanks

John

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
<scratching head> Didn't I send you a drawing?

Could I get a copy of that drawing. I either need to change the belts or sell the bike :)
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
Thanks for this thread, John. You are beginning to convince me to hire a professional when Joe's package arrives. Not for the faint of heart.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
 I vote sell the bike.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
'ey John, where did you buy your belts from and how much?  It's been awhile since I last check on availability and price.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here