Author Topic: Following the Tapping Points Questions - Anybody Know Bolt Dimensions?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Following my question about the tapping points

I have on order 2 new plugs & Jaysus have these things jumped in price, from 2.72 GBP to 8.60 GBP, that's MotoMecca, Stein Dinse similar price in Euros as I recall but I want them quickly but boy do I just feel I have been hosed then taken to the cleaners.

I hope I don't need anything big because that is a ridiculous price for a shallow bolt..............g od knows what a header would cost, dread to think.

Anyway the part number is
I think it's an M10 but I'm trying to ascertain the pitch in order that the machine shop can drill out the old stud on one side and run a tap down both of them. The existing plug I have is so toasted that neither me nor the machinist at the shop could make out the pitch

Anybody?

These plugs are pretty common in the bikes from Sporti's and Dyatonas onward as far as I can tell so maybe somebody has one lying around and could help me out

John

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Following the Tapping Points Questions - Anybody Know Bolt Dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
M10X1 on the Mighty Scura. I'm not *positive* they are stock headers, though.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Following the Tapping Points Questions - Anybody Know Bolt Dimensions?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
Ok Chuck many thanks

That is what I was thinking, but I'd still like some more confirmation. When I tired the bolt into a 1.0 pitch thread it appeared to go but not easily (the bolt is a mess)

Problem was when we tried to place a tap into the pipe threads of the header where I managed to remove the bolt, the tap was reluctant to go down, but that could just be because the threads on the boss are in equally bad nick to the bolt and it just needs a starter tap first.

Anyway I did not want to force it before getting confirmation

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
So just to renew an old thread, to ask advice and to help others............. .....because if you do ever need to remove these bolts, there is a VERY high chance this will happen to you (so far 4 removed, 3 need retapping)

After being let down badly by a vendor who lied twice, first time was "Yup we have it in stock", what he forgot to clarify was he did not mean his own, he must have referring to Mandello's stock. Then sitting on his ass for 2 weeks before even thinking about ordering, I just cancelled in disgust.

So I check another vendor, site states in stock, guess what when the invoice comes through!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Desperate times calls for desperate measures, I go to the 1100 and pull their plugs to check the thread. One came out Ok the other stripped.

To confirm though the plug is an M10 x 1.0, so rather than pay Guzzi's excruciating price, you can pick up something compatible of E-Bay or wherever for a fraction of the cost. I don't mind shelling out for parts but I don't like getting hosed.

I'm thinking of using a Brass plug rather than Steel to replace the plugs, any comments or advice?

Wildguzzi.com

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
A brass plug isn't nearly as likely to seize. Many aircraft exhaust systems use brass nuts.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Ok Thanks Chuck

Appreciated, I'll give it a try!!

I always try to close out in case some poor soul ends up in the same boat and is looking for a definitive answer

John

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here