Author Topic: Handling differences between v7 iii bikes?  (Read 3953 times)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Handling differences between v7 iii bikes?
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
So between a Stone, Special, and Racer ... how does the handling compare?

I assume same exact forks on all three.  Racer has the Ohlins rear shocks.
Same chassis, right?  Same geometry.  Same tires I believe.

So maybe the Racer feels racier due to the rear sets and clip ons, but I'd assume that wouldn't really change the handling compared to a Stone/Special?

And with the 2018s, seems a Stone, Special, Carbon Dark, Carbon Shine would all be the same?  And with the Rough, different tires might affect some cornering speeds on slightly knobby tires?

One reason for this question is just curiosity ... but other reason, I currently own a V7 iii Racer and I'm tempted to also buy a Rough.  Kind of silly due to how close those bikes really are, but sometimes these things just aren't logical.   :grin:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Handling differences between v7 iii bikes?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
Being generally suspicious and paranoid I thought the Ohlin's shocks were a marketing scheme cooked up by MG. Figuring a degraded shock for less money, but looking so hip. I rode a few Racers and changed my mind immediately and shortly bought a Racer, and added an after market fork. I'm quite happy. Caveat: That sucker still of course, weighs nearly 500#'s.

In my view they are still ugly sonz o' bitches, in factory trim. Paint, wheels, small fairing and another saddle will cure all that.

BTW: I also had the plastic & metal oil filter changed to all metal (@ 750 miles swollen),and had the spark plug caps changed to NGK's.  Also exchanged the wire wheels, which I really like (currently 3 bikes w/them), for cast spoke wheels.  Life is too short to wait for things to break.  R3~ 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Ohlins are a whole 'nother level from the stock door closers.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Supposedly, the iii models have better rear suspension than former models. 

The Ohlins on my Racer seem ok, but with ~3.5" of travel I think it is pretty hard to be so sophisticated. 

But besides the rear shock, carving corners, stability on bumpy pavement, tossing the bike from right turn to left to right ... I'm guessing the same between all the models?

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
I had Jim Hamlin make some Ohlins for my 15 Stone.  NIGHT and day difference.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
Don't discount the fact that the riding position on the Racer changes how the bike handles to some degree as well.

Personally, I think the V7III bikes are beautiful, all of them. The Racer is the prettiest to my eye, sans the rear number plate/cowling, with a Dart Piranha in place of the OEM aluminum pie plate fly screen, and with a set of bar-end mirrors. The standard forks are meh but they work okay; I'll address that at some point. The rest of the bike's functional bits are just fine.

Obviously, there are always some things on any bike that can be improved.

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
the shocks are lovely but what I think you'd really notice more than anything else each and every time you got on the bike is the seating position. The racer has you more tucked in, the Stone/Special etc more upright.  That impacts handling but more likely the impact is greater on your back & knees.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:13:27 AM »
the shocks are lovely but what I think you'd really notice more than anything else each and every time you got on the bike is the seating position. The racer has you more tucked in, the Stone/Special etc more upright.  That impacts handling but more likely the impact is greater on your back & knees.

Absolutely true: On the Stone, Anniversario, and Special—actually, on any upright seating position motorcycle—I'm uncomfortable as all heck and my back and butt hurt after 50 miles. On the Racer, I can ride for hours and hours and not even feel tired.

Different Strokes ... I have shortish legs, and a longish torso and arms. All of the bikes I've ridden back and forth across the United States since the 1970s have had riding positions much like that of the V7III Racer.

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:06:44 AM »
'true enough,  in all things ergo, YMMV.  My knees use to work that way actually, one too many tumbles off a dirt bike tho made them a wee bit less accepting of sustained bends.  For me these days, upright is good :)
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »
Don't discount tires either.  I'm much more fond of the MICHELIN Pilot Active that the OEM tires which never felt planted to me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:57:51 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
Don't discount tires either.  I'm much more fond of the MICHELIN Pilot Active that the OEM tires which never felt planted to me.

Absolutely ... but I never expect OEM tires to be the ideal. The Pirelli Dragons seem "ok" but nothing special. I'm going to try the Continental RoadAttack3 when it's time to toss these.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
Man I thought the EDIT I think the stocks were Pirelli Sport Demons or something like that not Dragons - either way they were superb, better than me. So I sought more tread life. Only 5-7k is not acceptable to me.

My Pilot Activs are sticky enough for a track day and seem to be wearing slower.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:49:27 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
Wait ... I thought we could only run Pirelli tires on the MGs.   :laugh:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
I find the stock bias Pirellis a little hard and skiddish compared to the radials I had on the Griso. The fact they're brandy new probably doesn't help. What pressures are folks using? Thinking of lowering mine a bit, esp. during these cold months.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »
I run the recommended air pressures in the Dragons (36psi front, 37psi rear). It doesn't get as cold here as it does in New Jersey, but I do take some care to let them warm up a bit before flinging the bike into a corner when I head out for a ride at this time of year.

And I agree: the Dragons seem okay, but I've experienced better in the past. I'm eager to try the Continentals ... the real question is whether I want to also switch to a set of wire wheels designed for tubeless tires at the same time. That would be a quantum jump, but a similar quantum suck at the bank account.  :shocked:

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
I run the recommended air pressures in the Dragons (36psi front, 37psi rear). It doesn't get as cold here as it does in New Jersey, but I do take some care to let them warm up a bit before flinging the bike into a corner when I head out for a ride at this time of year.

And I agree: the Dragons seem okay, but I've experienced better in the past. I'm eager to try the Continentals ... the real question is whether I want to also switch to a set of wire wheels designed for tubeless tires at the same time. That would be a quantum jump, but a similar quantum suck at the bank account.  :shocked:

Ya know I just edited my last post. You keep saying Dragons and I accepted that in my blurry morning fog. But thinking about it I'm pretty sure my stock tires were Pirelli Sport Demons not Dragons. Did they make a change? If so maybe that has something to do with it.

If not, well, then its just the usual difference of one man's sticky is another man's loose... and that's fine.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
LOL! My constant error: Pirelli Sport Demons translates to "Dragons" in my head.  :angel:

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
I like the stock tires on my Racer.  I touched down the side stand in a turn a week or so back ... I was a bit freaked out over that as I'm used to bikes with those long feelers on the footpegs, so the foldable peg touches down first.  It made the most intense grinding sound I've ever heard!  I've chilled out a bit since then.  :grin:

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
Well I was never fond of the Sport Demons. On my 2013 V7 Stone I have replaced them with the Dunlop Road Smart, as I have reported. But on the V7 III the Pirellis do not feel bad.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
We're all assuming the date of manufacture is not an issue?

Further to comfort: I added Verde Legnano bars to my 3 series Racer. ~1" higher. They take some of the kink out of my neck.   
Hoses, harness and cables still original.   R3~ 

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
We're all assuming the date of manufacture is not an issue? ...

In what context are you saying "date of manufacture"? With respect to tires? bike? What specifically?

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
In what context are you saying "date of manufacture"? With respect to tires? bike? What specifically?
I'm assuming he's guessing some less sticky tires might be old.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
I'm assuming he's guessing some less sticky tires might be old.

Ah, okay.
I doubt that's much of an issue with 2017 model year bikes, to be honest. I'm sure they didn't manufacture the bikes or tires more than a year before 2017.

The Demons (I'm trying to keep the name straight!) work well, they're just not the best tires I've ever owned.

Of course, another issue is that I'm not quite the rider I was 16 years ago either... Fifteen years away from the saddle due to health problems and then returning when I was fit again, I feel my skills are coming back quickly but there's a whole long effort of practice and relearning in front of me to go yet. And I haven't gotten any younger in the process.

Everything matters. :-)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »

Ah, okay.
I doubt that's much of an issue with 2017 model year bikes, to be honest. I'm sure they didn't manufacture the bikes or tires more than a year before 2017.

The Demons (I'm trying to keep the name straight!) work well, they're just not the best tires I've ever owned.

Of course, another issue is that I'm not quite the rider I was 16 years ago either... Fifteen years away from the saddle due to health problems and then returning when I was fit again, I feel my skills are coming back quickly but there's a whole long effort of practice and relearning in front of me to go yet. And I haven't gotten any younger in the process.

Everything matters. :-)

I'm sure you're right. But if anyone was curious I believe all tires carry a manufacturing date/code in the molding don't they?

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »

I'm sure you're right. But if anyone was curious I believe all tires carry a manufacturing date/code in the molding don't they?

Yes they certainly do in order to be DOT compliant. It may only be on one side of the tire though.

As far as tire feel, I think the combination of new (barely 100 mi), cold and bias = the hard, skittering feeling of the stock Demons. Could also be the switch from radials and a heavier bike. Hoping some more miles and warmer weather improves my confidence level on these tires.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »
Yes they certainly do in order to be DOT compliant. It may only be on one side of the tire though.

As far as tire feel, I think the combination of new (barely 100 mi), cold and bias = the hard, skittering feeling of the stock Demons. Could also be the switch from radials and a heavier bike. Hoping some more miles and warmer weather improves my confidence level on these tires.

Certainly the feel difference is significant if you're used to radials on a heavier bike. And the cold weather—and new tires too!—doesn't help.

I'm going to run the Demons until they wear out. And then make the transition to full tubeless wheels and radial tires on the Racer. That is the next, best upgrade to the bike that makes sense to me. It's an expensive step but, heck, I'm not getting any younger and I can afford it.  :grin:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 06:14:39 PM »
You are probably running way too much pressure on those Demons if they feel hard or "skittering. " I run 28-33 to 35 on the old small blocks with Demons. They are pretty darn good. Not in the same league as Conti Classic attacks, IMHO.. but good just the same. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
I played with tire pressures a bit... at 29F/32R psi, they felt sqidgy and imprecise to me. At the recommended pressures ... 36F/37R psi ... they feel best to me.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here