Author Topic: Where are all the girls?  (Read 23432 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Where are all the girls?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
As gearhead web forums go, this one is pretty civilized. I'm on a Buell forum and half the content is gun nut talk and conspiracy theories and a Mack forum that's thrown me off more times than I remember for disagreeing with their political agenda. After that, this forum and the other good ones like the airheads list are a breath of fresh air.

My Fay has been to a lot of rallies with me.   She's under no illusions about men camping out for the week on motorcycles, and if the talk gets too "blue", she just slowly melts into the distance and you don't even notice she's gone for a bit.   

It's normally a very FEW guys that get like that.   Their attitude is "It's a BIKER rally, if I want to get drunk and talk about *****, and anyone doesn't like it, then **** 'em."   But it only takes one or two guys like that to send everyone else off to their tent ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
I think our discussions are too serious and technical.

Try to start more topics about the colour of the bikes, bike grooming product and tips, riding apparels, food, and desserts.
That's exactly the sort of self serving, condescending B.S. that drives them away!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:08:56 PM by Huzo »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
Where are the girls? 

Maybe they're out riding instead of spending their time on Wildguzzi discussing the merits of steel cut oats or having prostates irradiated. 

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
I started riding Guzzi's when I was 30 and the local Guzzi guys would refer to me as the "kid". Now I'm pushing 60 and get this urge to argue over different shades of blue!  :evil: And most of those older guys have [passed now. I miss them.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »
I turned 51 on Saturday so I'm a "girl" no longer, but I'm with Sheepdog in feeling MUCH younger than my years.  I freely admit to knowing ZERO about motorcycles, other than I enjoy the s#!+ out of riding them, and I'm reasonably sure none of you popped out of the womb with more knowledge than I. 

So I'll continue to ask the "stupid" questions, read posts that are technically WAY over my head, and learn.  Isn't that why we are all here?

:grin: :bike-037:

PS.
I like steel cut oats, have men in my life with prostate issues and cancer.   

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
So perhaps Moto Guzzi is in fact the "Fountain of Youth"...all of these Old folks feeling like youngsters 15-20 years below their actual chronological age, sowing their (Steel Cut) Oats all over the place have come to the right place!

WildGuzzi...A collection of Pro Solitude Loners who like to be together (at least from time to time)...  The Irony!! 

My wife loves to ride, she doesn't find forums interesting...no problem.  I'd rather it be that way than vice versa!
:)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:01:00 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »
Para-phrasing Firesign Theater.  "I think, we're all Bozos on this bus."  Dee hasn't posted for awhile except from one comment that she made on a recent thread.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
Hummm, did I just read that someone wanted more talk about food/cooking?  Sounds like time for Leafman60 to roll out the steel cut oats thread!  Now, that's a crowd pleaser.....for the over 60 crowd.

As an aside, the V7 line should be attracting more than our fair share of female riders.  With that said, it would help if the bikes had a bit more curb appeal.  I mean, carbon and blacked out wheels might be the current trend but I suspect the Anni model gets much more attention from female shoppers.    The same goes for the V7 Stone (or whatever the '18 models are called), interesting colors and some chrome to set things off.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

Hummm, did I just read that someone wanted more talk about food/cooking?  Sounds like time for Leafman60 to roll out the steel cut oats thread!  Now, that's a crowd pleaser.....for the over 60 crowd.

Peter Y.

Yebbut ... what does ANYONE do for the really young crowd when it comes to food?   In the past, I've been involved with youth groups or groups of my boys' friends or young relatives, and as far as I can tell, the only thing they'd eat is pizza dipped in ranch dressing, or hot dogs dipped in ranch dressing.  I never saw such ranch dressing addicts.

Maybe once they were on their own they added Hot Pockets, but there's not much else ...   :wink:

Lannis

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
As a proud Brooklyn Millennial that's financing Moto Guzzi's current revival, I know a handful of female Guzzi owners (curiously all flat black V7's), most of the female riders I know just drop their bikes off for service at the shop, and the 2 that actually wrench on their own bikes seem to draw knowledge from their IRL peers, for some reason they have no desire to trawl thru forums online.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
GG Spot, HA!  I suppose I could post more of my disasters but I feel such the idiot and don't want you guys to think all motorcycling ladies are inept.   

PS,
I still shove the kids out of the van to go ride.  :thumb:
There are some fairly clueless guys around too.
You never learn anything by getting it right.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
We are a subculture in a subculture in a subculture . Despite the MoCo's efforts to bring more women into the culture because they wanna sell more bikes , female riders will always be another subculture inside of the already small group .

That , and quite frankly , why would a woman want to bother with us old geezers ?

Dusty
Probably wouldn't Dusty.
But the BIKE is another kettle of fish..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
Seriously!?!
Yeah, he has to be "taking the piss" as we say in Oz.
(At least I hope so..)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
Where are the girls? 

Maybe they're out riding instead of spending their time on Wildguzzi discussing the merits of steel cut oats or having prostates irradiated.
Maybe.
I'm reasonably active on the forum and I still ride my Norge a little bit..

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
There are some fairly clueless guys around too.
You never learn anything by getting it right.

'Xactly!  Every mishap is a chance to learn something new.  There is no shame in trying and failing but in failing to try.  If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. 

My poor kids hear similar - daily. :evil:   
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
Yeah, he has to be "taking the piss" as we say in Oz.
(At least I hope so..)

Not to be contrary, but I thought Phang's idea was a serious one ... We talk about EVERYTHING here anyway, and not all of them are chest-thumping he-man hunting/fishing/smoking/cigar-and-whiskey subjects.

Although I'm sort of glad that (now having granddaughters and being very familiar with many new subjects) I didn't start the thread I was thinking of starting on "Who Are Your Favorite Disney Princesses?"

Lannis ("Tiana" and "Jasmine" are mine ...)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
Why do I feel like I am sitting at the lunch table in "The Big Bang Theory"?  :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Not to be contrary, but I thought Phang's idea was a serious one ...
Well.
I'm no Dr Phil, but I think the implication was that serious and technically oriented topics would be above the intellectual level of a female.
But talk about pretty colours or " nice" shapes and the little ladies would be all over it like a cheap suit.
Sometimes it's more insulting when you try to be nice..
BTW.
Somebody's glad it started, 50 posts in 12 hours...
But honestly, if a decent percentage of male riders introduced their wives/girlfriends (or in an extreme case both) to Guzzidom, there'd be more bums on seats.
Could we get a response from the ladies (or men), in the lives of our respondents as to what would need to happen for them to be introduced to biking with their partner.... (on their own bike ?)
GG did it !
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:13:44 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Why do I feel like I am sitting at the lunch table in "The Big Bang Theory"?  :grin:
GliderJohn
Didn't know you did John..
But please, do tell.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
Well.
I'm no Dr Phil, but I think the implication was that serious and technically oriented topics would be above the intellectual level of a female.
But talk about pretty colours or " nice" shapes and the little ladies would be all over it like a cheap suit.

NOW I see what you're saying.   I didn't look at it that way ... I thought it was just about variety.

Lannis

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
NOW I see what you're saying.   I didn't look at it that way ... I thought it was just about variety.

Lannis
Look, I could be wrong Lannis
(never happened before)
But I could be...
Phang'll clear up the doubt.
But irregardless, I don't want to contaminate the thread with a manufactured slanging match, (this time)
I just reckon that women are under represented on the forum ratio wise, when you consider the ratio of male v female bikers in the open community.
If they don't want to post, there's gotta be a reason and I'd like to hear from a few.

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 06:32:44 PM »
Well.
BTW.
Somebody's glad it started, 50 posts in 12 hours...
But honestly, if a decent percentage of male riders introduced their wives/girlfriends (or in an extreme case both) to Guzzidom, there'd be more bums on seats.
Could we get a response from the ladies (or men), in the lives of our respondents as to what would need to happen for them to be introduced to biking with their partner.... (on their own bike ?)
GG did it !

I think what Phang was really saying is that we get bogged down in silly discussions about anti-lock brakes , what kind of oil to use , and other types of nonsense that most women just roll their eyes at .

Now let's parse out that second thing . Why should we need to "introduce" the ladies to something, most of the ladies I have known that ride made that decision on their own .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
I think what Phang was really saying is that we get bogged down in silly discussions about anti-lock brakes , what kind of oil to use , and other types of nonsense that most women just roll their eyes at .

Now let's parse out that second thing . Why should we need to "introduce" the ladies to something, most of the ladies I have known that ride made that decision on their own .

Dusty
If you say so Dusty, that's all I need to hear.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
...I think the implication was that serious and technically oriented topics would be above the intellectual level of a female.
But talk about pretty colours or "nice" shapes and the little ladies would be all over it like a cheap suit.

That is how I read it, hence my response.  I would love to be wrong though.

I enjoy getting my hands dirty taking things apart and seeing how they work.  I call myself a "process girl" because the process of designing and working the kinks out to get a working product is what I enjoy the most.   :thumb:     
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
Right.  My bride cares nothing about the tech stuff.  It's up to me to make sure the bikes are all up to snuff.
And , I thought the V7 would have been a bike she enjoyed but she disliked it quite a bit.  After her Street 3 and Bonneville the V7 left her cold.  I didn't see THAT coming.

That led to the BMW G310R we just got for her.  As long as she's happy I'm good with it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
That is how I read it, hence my response.  I would love to be wrong though.

I enjoy getting my hands dirty taking things apart and seeing how they work.  I call myself a "process girl" because the process of designing and working the kinks out to get a working product is what I enjoy the most.   :thumb:     
And don't they look beautiful in the soft light after a couple of drinks.
Do you do any small/ medium trips, or family routine makes it a bit tricky for now ?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »
And don't they look beautiful in the soft light after a couple of drinks.
Do you do any small/ medium trips, or family routine makes it a bit tricky for now ?

Oh man, one minute Wild Guzzi, next minute Penthouse Forum ... .!    :grin:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
I'm not so sure about that, I am somewhat surprised there are not long running threads about hemorrhoids or Depend� over anything technical.  :laugh:

What, the steel-cut oats, CPAP threads, and prostate trouble posts aren't good enough?   :laugh:   :laugh:

Lannis

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »
Oh man, one minute Wild Guzzi, next minute Penthouse Forum ... .!    :grin:
As long as they're careful where they put the staple.
Never trust a copy if the staple is rusty!!!!?

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
:1: Ha, you all make me laugh!

@ Huzo
Our longest ride was a 100 miles (161 km) or so round trip and Anni hasn't hit 1000 quite yet.  We usually ride to the movies once a week-ish and abandon the kids for a few hours on a Sat. or Sun. (not both) for a breakfast ride on either the scooters, bikes or both.  We'll leave the eldest in charge for 4 or 5 hours at the most which works out fine because they get along well, and are a rather mellow group (so far). :thumb:
:bike-037:
"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here