Author Topic: Valve Setting Chit Chat  (Read 2393 times)

britman

Valve Setting Chit Chat
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:45:13 AM »
I riding the 2000 Bassa to work this morning, going to rough it with temps getting up to the mid 70's in February.  When I get home this afternoon it is going straight into the garage for its yearly oil change.  Tomorrow morning the valves will be adjusted.  Now for the sake of informative discussion should the lash be set at:

Owners manual recommendation:
0.10mm/0.004" intake
0.15mm/0.006 exhaust

Kinda of recommended by forum discussion and most red blooded Americans:
0.05mm/0.002" intake
0.10mm/0.004 exhaust

Or somewhere in the middle of these two by those who really don't want to take a side......

Next week I would like to start a discussion on what new car to buy Ford or Chevy and is that affected by Global Warming....

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Valve Setting Chit Chat
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:22:51 AM »
0.002" and 0.004" ??!
Jeez, that does surprise a bit !

britman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:55 AM »
http://motogoose.com/tech-tips/ev11-valve-adjustment/

In all seriousness, I was just wondering if there was a consensus on the forum with EV owners....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »
0.05mm/0.002" intake
0.10mm/0.004 exhaust

I don't know where you heard that, but it's way too tight. Most people use .006 and .008 on that engine, AFAIK.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
I don't know where you heard that, but it's way too tight. Most people use .006 and .008 on that engine, AFAIK.

Yep , has worked well for a long time .

Dusty

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »

0.05mm/0.002" intake
0.10mm/0.004 exhaust

News to me. Most discussions favor a bit more clearance for safety.

Just pick a number you like and stick with it. Go ride.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
There was a period in which Guzzi specified very tight valve lash clearances for US spec bikes, purely to reduce noise.  They run better with the wider clearances that were recommended elsewhere by Guzzi.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
My US-spec Vintage manual recommends the tighter clearance. I expect it had more to do with passing emissions, but it also keeps the valve noise down. That said; I find that the 2valve Big Block runs a little better with the looser, “world” settings.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »
    I've been using .006 and .008 for 35 years. Still do on my EV and even my 2012 Norge. Works well, I ain't changing. And ya, I've tried the other settings. Always go back to 6 and 8

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »
My US-spec Vintage manual recommends the tighter clearance. I expect it had more to do with passing emissions, but it also keeps the valve noise down. That said; I find that the 2valve Big Block runs a little better with the looser, �world� settings.
What's the working man's explanation Pete, as to why a 2V Norge (for instance) would run better with the clearances opened a couple of thou'.
For the record I diligently set mine to 6 and 4
Would it not just delay the opening and speed up the closing of the valves?
In effect, reducing lift and duration, or are there other factors at play?
(If you want to wait a couple of weeks, you can explain it to me over a 400 gm steak.)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
Ultimately it affects a lot of things like valve seat life, head temps, wear and tear on the valve train, and I suppose high rpm valve float.

I set my Jackal engine at 0.004 and 0.006. 

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »
My US-spec Vintage manual recommends the tighter clearance. I expect it had more to do with passing emissions, but it also keeps the valve noise down. That said; I find that the 2valve Big Block runs a little better with the looser, �world� settings.

The tighter valve clearances were spec'd to reduce noise.  Reduced valve clearances increase the effective overlap of the cam which negatively affects emissions, and in this particular case it also makes the engine run worse.  Smaller clearances increase overlap, although only with very small valve openings.  This makes the engine run worse at low rpm.  I don't suppose anybody in Italy expected that US bikes in the field would be run using the tight valve lash spec for very long after sale.

Later on the hydraulic lifter engine was intended to address to reduce noise in a better way but for whatever reason after the 'issues' with the hydraulic lifter engine were finally resolved, that engine was discontinued.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
BTW, if you want to be really confused by factory valve lash specifications, take a look at Ducati Desmoquattro (desmodromic 4 valve/cylinder) specs.  Every factory workshop manual seems to specify them differently, even for engines that are seemingly identical but different model year or different chassis.  Then when you look into it more, you find virtually none of the well known tuners use any of the factory settings!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »
Hmmm..

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
Yep, just did mine. Runs like a scalded dog and just a little chatter to keep time with CCR in my headphones:)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here