Author Topic: One man's Grease is Another Man's Treasure: Texas Turnip's First Guzzi FS  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
This maybe should be in the Swap Meet, but the bike itself appeals to a wider audience whether they're in the market or not.  It's a piece if Guzzi history as well as a bike for sale.  I'm doing the pictures.  Tex can give the history.

Grease, Ken Hand's first Moto Guzzi, is up for sale.  Read on.  His asking price is at the bottom.  He'll consider reasonable offers.

Tex bought this 1971 Ambassador new, and the last tabs are 1985.  Tex claims the odometer has turned over twice, so let's just say it's well broken in.  He also says he parked it when he got a Cal II and got used to it.  Sot it's been in a barn since.   Nothing has been removed from Grease over the years except the battery and the fuel.  As far as I know, the old oil is still in the engine.

The tinwork is all remarkably straight, given Tex wasn't particularly so back then.  There's a little wow in the front fender, but we're including a replacement that is straight, needs refinished:

Otherwise what I can see looks like it needs to be stripped and redone, but I can't even find tankslapper dimples in the tank.  The bags are very nice Wixoms, although the rivets are rusty.  No battle damage that i can see.  There may have been bumpers on them at one time that were removed and the holes filled.  Likewise the Wixom Ranger fairing seems to be in good condition, as is the windscreen.  There is a set of lowers included.

The paint is intact, but I doubt that it is all original.  It's got a case of the patina.  Likewise the oem chromework may or may not be restorable.  We've included front fender stays in better condition as well as a better rear fender bumper.  The gas cap is rotted.  So are our spares.

Tex, being who he is, did some improving and customizing to Grease over the years.  Turn signals were optional when the bike was sold, so he added his own.  The control is from a school bus or a Kenworth.  He doesn't remember exactly.

Also visible in this picture is the tank, or maybe the air filter for a master cylinder on the left handlebar.  I think it pumps up the rear shocks, but I can't tell if they're hydraulic or air.  The red canister is the air horn compressor.  An oil pressure and amp gauge is in  the fairing.

Other personal touches:

The saddle has a very nice cover although the foam has perished.  The bike also has a large alternator in place of the generator.

Ken chromed the side covers, tool boxes, valve covers, belt cover, brake plates, and the front hub cover.  They did not hold up well in the barn.  The metal is straight, but the chrome is peeled and pretty awful. 

We're including normal vented valve covers, brake plates, the hub cover, and tool boxes.

Fender stays and the rear fender bumper are rusty.  We're providing some better ones, as well as the oem tail light, a better rear rack, one NOS muffler, NOS fork shrouds, and a grab bag of other bits.  There are two extra engines (also chrome bore) and two extra four-speed gearboxes, two normal wheels and a 16" rear wheel, brake plates and shoes, u-joint, starter, bits and pieces of pillboxes and perches, boot guards (the rubber kind),vented valve covers, and muffler clamps.  Tex said to put lots of stuff with the bike, so I did.

As I said up top, the bike is complete and has a clear title.  The engine turns over, as do the two spares.  None of the modifications can't be undone, and we've included the parts to undo them in as far as we have parts to include.  This would be a good loop restoration project

The asking price is $2250 for Grease and everything Guzzi in the pictures.  Ken will consider serious offers, especially if the offer involves adding loop parts he may have in the stash raqther than reducing the price.  Want to make it an 850 eldorado?  5-speed with that cool sump rear drive?  Disk brake rear maybe?  we might could fix you up. 

This is an as-is, where-is, what is, u-haul sale.  Ken warrants only that it is a complete used project bike that is not currently running and needs a going through before it will run.  He warrants that the bores are chrome.  He also warrants that all included spares are used cores unless specified as NOS.  Shipping is entirely the responsibility of the buyer.  Although we might be able to help load it up we will not transport it as part of the sale.  I have not asked him, but I suspect that for a reasonable fee, he might be persuaded to do a road trip in a limited range.

Thanks for reading!

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
If it's from Texas why are the cow horns so small?................ :popcorn: that there is pricelesss :thumb:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
he needs to throw in a box of cigars to sweeten the deal. 
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
I'll add a Nehru jacket and some cigars with the deal.
I bought this bike new Aug 14, 1971 and proceeded to put on 100K. That called for a keg to celebrate. My friend, George Miller got to drinking the free beer and said "if you put on another 19K I'll buy a keg". I put on another 100K  and he bought a keg of Bud, but was afraid to drink any in case it would cost him another keg.

Lots of memories and a lot of long trips before the Interstates were all complete and we still had lots of gravel roads.
Time to liquidate before I take a dirt nap and saddle my kids with all this stuff.

If no offers here it will go on Ebay or Craigs list.

Thanks,
Tex

Wildguzzi.com

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
If that seat could only talk!!!    :shocked:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
If that seat could only talk!!!    :shocked:

Amazingly enough, I DO have a recording of that seat talking!

https://youtu.be/JxkWJcFhfkE

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
I dont need another project bike,however I do need a 7 inch head light complete with bucket any condition  :boozing:

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
I had a seat like that on my Beemer made by EZ Berg. Ugly as sin but you could ride all day long for weeks on end and never get a sore butt.

Pete

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
 :drool:
Amazingly enough, I DO have a recording of that seat talking!

https://youtu.be/JxkWJcFhfkE

Lannis

Too funny!  :laugh:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Note the cabinet knobs on the saddlebags. You don't need to remove gloves to reach in and get another beer, I mean an organic kumquat drink.

The blue tail lights will get you a warning if you are pathetic looking like me.

This is a bike that if you have you cannot keep a low profile. Too easily recognized.

Thanks for looking,
Tex

elvisboy77

Let's take up a collection, buy it and ship it to Mandello to be placed in the Moto Guzzi Factory.  Seriously, what a monument.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Somebody should do something.  Ken wants to keep it in the family, so to speak, but it's got to go.  If we can't get it sold here PDQ, I have to escalate to c-list and eBay.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
I guess it is amazing that I put that many miles on a bike with horrible brakes and run the 400-18 GoodYear all traction tires. I'd buy 20 at a time so we could all run them.. They'd road hop and cup so we then put them on the back and you'd think the bike would shake apart. As the dope smoking hippie said, "what a trip."

Tex

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
I think you were riding that when I first met you, Tex. Must have been at the Oklahoma rally in 82 or so. It's a hell of a deal, especially with all the spares and if I was younger I'd buy it but it's not possible to get into a project like that anymore .Didnt you have a G5 or two before your first Cal 2?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
It's a hell of a deal, especially with all the spares and if I was younger I'd buy it but it's not possible to get into a project like that anymore.

I'm the same way.   I'd love to have a piece of Guzzi Americana like that, and the money isn't an issue, but with everything else I've got going on (unsaid: "At My Age") there's no way I'd ever finish it .....

Lannis (let us turn together to Excuse Book Chapter 7, verse 1)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here