Author Topic: NORGE FUEL TANK SWELLING  (Read 2923 times)

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
NORGE FUEL TANK SWELLING
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:49:28 PM »
I have an opportunity to by a very clean, well equipped 2008 Norge in excellent condition with low kms but it appears from the pictures the fuel tank is swollen on the forward part of the left side.  Very visible in the pictures.  How much of an issue is this?  Bike is very reasonable to the point of being cheap however if the tank needs to be replaced then it may not be such a good deal.
Is it a cosmetic issue or is the tank going to rupture over time.  I had a Duc that also had this issue but not the the extent that the tank look deformed.
Tim

Thanks, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: NORGE FUEL TANK SWELLING
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
I have an opportunity to by a very clean, well equipped 2008 Norge in excellent condition with low kms but it appears from the pictures the fuel tank is swollen on the forward part of the left side.  Very visible in the pictures.  How much of an issue is this?  Bike is very reasonable to the point of being cheap however if the tank needs to be replaced then it may not be such a good deal.
Is it a cosmetic issue or is the tank going to rupture over time.  I had a Duc that also had this issue but not the the extent that the tank look deformed.
Tim

Thanks, Tim
Lets see a couple of pics of the tank.  Not an uncommon problem, but I don't think the tank material is quite the same as used on the problematic Ducatis.  I've read stories about some of the Duc tanks that swell/deform so much, they no longer stay attached in front to the rubber donuts.  My 2008 1200 Sport (same tank as yours) began to experience tank deformations shortly after purchase.  I may have been lucky, but when I changed out the USA system of tank venting (thru a blow out valve and charcoal canister) for the rest-of-the-world solution (to atmosphere) the tank remarkably lost the 'dimples that had begun to form.  Not saying your bike's tank will heal itself if you change the venting system .... just letting you know what happened to mine (that now has over 65000 miles on it.)

I've not heard of any rupturing.

Here's a source for used tanks:

http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/_i.html?_nkw=norge&submit=Search&_sid=12458664

Bob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:17:08 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
My Norge tank elongated and developed blisters. It was enough that the left handlebar switch would hit the tank before reaching full lock. I switched to non-ethanol gas and it returned to normal over a couple of weeks. It's been pretty well documented here on WG if you'd need more info.
I have occasionally used E-10 since then but never left it in long before running it out and getting more E-0.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:52 AM »
Thanks for the link for the used tanks. Certainly an option.

Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:52 AM »

Offline Hugh Straub

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »
Pull the tank, drain it and put it in your attic in the summer for a month or so with the tank cap open.  It will return to its original size.  Thereafter use non-ethanol gas.
Brgds

Hugh
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
The fuel tank on my 2012 Norge swelled to the point that the base of the handlebars hit in both directions, at about 2500 miles. Guzzi replaced the tank, however prior to installing, the dealer sent it out to be coated inside. Currently at 30,000 miles and no problem, using E10 fuel. In my area we do not have the option to find non E10 easily.

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Pull the tank, drain it and put it in your attic in the summer for a month or so with the tank cap open.  It will return to its original size.  Thereafter use non-ethanol gas.
+1.  My Monster tank returned to normal after draining it and letting it dry out.  If i still had the bike i would store it this way in the winter months.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
Owning an Aprilia with a nylon (plastic) tank, I know all about this problem.
The cause is the ethanol in the fuel absorbing water which in turn gets absorbed into the plastic.
As said previously, remove the tank, empty, remove the pump and let it vent where the water will evaporate out.
Although I've yet to do this with mine, a lot of owners have had results doing this, but in most cases it takes months rather than weeks.

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
My 2014 is on its third tank. I can only get ethanol fuel here in So Cal. The second tank cracked and started weeping fuel right before I bought it from the original owner. Third tank has dimpled a little, but not deformed significantly. I’ve learned it is imperative to keep the tank full when parked if you must use ethanol fuel. Ethanol draws water from the air, so more air in the tank = more water in the fuel. Top up at the end of every ride if you must use ethanol fuel.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
I had 3 Norge's and never had that problem?

I never used it, but we have easy access to non-Ethanol gas here in Florida, but not with the octane rating required.
Jerry
Florida

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
In many states, the sticker on the pump says “E10 fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol”. But because of state taxes and incentives and other market forces, your E10 fuel may contain no ethanol, or less than 10%. I’m guessing that is what is happening in Florida. Here in CA, corporate farms grow a huge amount of corn in the Central Valley, and they wield a lot of political power, so we are stuck with nothing but E10 fuel. Ethanol is a big scam. It’s another case of politicians catering to big business at the expense of the masses they are supposed to represent.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
The tank on my 07 has swollen a little bit in length, like I can't install the rear mounting bolt. It hasn't really been a problem and maybe I should do something about it, as has been suggested but it hasn't gotten any worse in the last 5 or 6 years. I did pick up a NOS red tank a few years back for a couple hundred bucks and it's sitting on the shelf with a NOS Norton and 1000S/Lemans-CX tank.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »
I just bought a 2016 Griso two weeks ago today and it already has blisters raising up on the tank. I only put E10 in it once on the ride home.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
The dealer must’ve let it sit around partly filled in the showroom for a while. If you avoid ethanol, the blisters should eventually disappear. Mine did, even with the ethanol fuel, by keeping it full when parked.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
imperative to keep the tank full when parked

I was told long ago that's a good practice for any vehicle.  I've been doing this for many years on several old motorcycles and a 1955 Chevy.  Shine a light down the filler neck on the old Chevy and the inside of the tank looks practically new.  I also use an additive that stabilizes fuel and controls moisture.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

twowings

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
The rest of the bike especially the wonderful engine is worth the trouble to fix your tank woes...trust me on this...

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 03:00:18 PM »
The rest of the bike especially the wonderful engine is worth the trouble to fix your tank woes...trust me on this...

This being my fourth Guzzi, I went in willingly with my eyes wide open.

Chris, we need to get together for a day ride again!
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

twowings

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
10-4, Commodore!!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here