Author Topic: Oil leak 2001 jackal  (Read 7101 times)

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Oil leak 2001 jackal
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:55:28 AM »
Good morning gents. I have a small oil leak on the Jackal. 53k miles. I've done the oil change about 2500 miles ago. I noticed it splattered all of the rear wheel. At first I thought the final drive was leaking so I pulled the check volt on that and there was still fluid in there.I knew it wasn't the final drive once I saw the color. So there is oil splattered on the rear wheel and it pools up in the bottom lip of the rim where the weights go. I'm trying to track down this leak, I'm wondering if you guys can give me some usual suspects to check.

Thanks!!!
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

oldbike54

Re: Oil leak 2001 jackal
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:07:14 AM »
 Doubt if engine oil is finding its way to the rear wheel , are you sure it isn't gear oil ? Make sure the bevel box isn't over full , and burp it .

Dusty

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
Usual suspect would be the engine oil drain plug. It has happened to me once or twice.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure it isn't gear oil. I opened the final drive and the fluid in there is dirty brown. I probably should change it out anyways. Suppose I could check that way. He oil on the rear wheel was much cleaner looking. What do you mean by burping it? We had a good rain the other day. Is it possible water got into the final drive and "over filled" it?

The drain plug is tight. Nothing looks to be leaking from there.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Engine breather drain?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure it isn't gear oil. I opened the final drive and the fluid in there is dirty brown. I probably should change it out anyways. Suppose I could check that way. He oil on the rear wheel was much cleaner looking. What do you mean by burping it? We had a good rain the other day. Is it possible water got into the final drive and "over filled" it?

Warm up the bevel box with a ride and open the level plug = burping . Doubt if water is the issue , just seems unlikely that engine oil could find its way inside the rear wheel . One thing I've noticed , oil collected on the wheels appears cleaner , probably something to do with light reflecting off the chrome , dunno .

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »
Is the oil level dropping after a 100 miles or so?

Is it coming from the drain on the bottom of the bell housing?
If so could be the crank case breather pipe is leaking or the rear main seal.

If that is true the oil will indeed (not saying how I know this) coat the wheel and the tire plus the bottom of the rear drive with nice fresh engine oil!!

Either way ouch.

mike

+ - GMT ?

Dusty

Bill Hagan

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
Usual suspect would be the engine oil drain plug. It has happened to me once or twice.

Even so, you might check the O-ring on the dipstick.

Found mine so misshapen and hard that it was no barrier.  Only leaked under pressure, of course, and the wet stuff would end up in all sorts of unexpected places. 

I ordered some new ones because mine also had a serious nick that I caused when trying to extract it from the dipstick.  But, Patrick Hayes posted here that you can "revive" hardened stuff like that by -- as I think I recall! -- by putting in water and microwaving.

I also have a continuing small leak from the slot at the bottom of the bell housing.  Really don't want to confirm what I think that is -- see kirby1923's post -- as I haven't been able to get Wayne up here to fix it.  [Visualize appropriate emoticon as I can get 'em to appear]

Good luck with finding your mini-Exxon Valdez. 

Bill

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
I really do hope it is not coming from the bell housing. That looks like a pita to get to to change a gasket or a hose. How much of a pita am I looking at? I can do oil changes and valve adjustments. I can do brakes and change my tires. This however seems rather daunting.

I'm an aircraft mechanic however, and I have the moto guzzi manual. I'll figure it out eventually, but what am I really looking at here if that's the problem?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »
I had so many oil leaks on my Jackal - it COULD be any one of most of them (though getting to the rear wheel is tough, but I guess if it blows back far enough).

Anyway the leaks I had were

1. "S" breather hose between valve on top of motor and bottom front of frame (this dripped under the bike).
2. Braided steal oil hoses on the top back of the heads (this blew down the side of the bike).
3. Timing sensor (this just caked over the front left cylinder)
4. Rear main weep (this let a few drops out of the bellhousing vent at the bottom IF I kept the oil level a little too high (more than halfway up the stick). Never bothered to fix it because it was so minor.

I imagine #4 could get blown all the way back to the rear wheel/tire.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
You overfilled it with engine or gearbox oil.

You may want to read my other reply here:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=54243.0

Bill Hagan

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
You overfilled it with engine or gearbox oil.

You may want to read my other reply here:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=54243.0

Similarly afflicted, happy to try your suggested method, but am wondering what "white spirit" is.  :huh:

Bill

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »
I'm guessing mineral spirits??

mike

Yep,  turpentine .

Dusty
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:10:14 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
If it were coming out anyplace but the rear drive, I would expect it to be on the tire but not necessarily on the rim. Keep in mind that a very tiny amount of lube out of the rear drive will appear as if you took a bucket and drenched the rim. I say this from personal experience. One time, while headed out West on a trip, we gained 3K feet in elevation and very high temps. This was in one day and the day was not over yet. In any case, I observed what you describe. I put the bike on the center stand and checked the rear. Lube came out the over flow. I did notice that when I opened the fill plug, I heard the rear "burp".

So, my suggestion is that you may very well have a rear drive leak. Could be an outer seal, (easy), or the inner seal,(more difficult). If you pull the wheel, you will see evidence of either one. If the grease has migrated out from the center spline, you are probably looking at an inner seal. If the surface of the cush drive is pretty much dry, then the outer seal is likely suspect. OR, you simply over filled the thing and it burped out some excess.

The main thing to remember is that it takes very little to make a HUGE mess. That means as long as you keep an eye on it until you determine the trouble, you probably don't need to worry about running it dry and causing a catastrophic failure.

Simply because of centrifugal force, if something is coming out ahead of the wheel, it is unlikely it gets on the rim unless it is dripping directly on it.

John Henry
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:05:02 PM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
You may be able to pull the seal (and install a new one) without the flange coming off...Anybody????"

Yes, you can. But. It's fiddly, and there's a chance of scratching the seal surface. Two of the holes in the flange are tapped. With a couple of screws, it should jack right off, and you can drive the old seal out.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
If I overfilled it, wouldn't it show immediately,not 2500 miles later. It really looked like engine oil. The rear drive oil was significantly dirtier looking from what I checked. Anyways, I haven't noticed any other spots on the ground and the rear wheel is clean since I rode it last. Really is boggling my mind. This weekend ill pull the tank if I get a chance and look at some hoses.

Thanks for all the info gurus.

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »
 Croissants Mike ? Tell me you are having croissants with some good cheese and fruit , maybe a good stout French coffee  :food:

Dusty

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
if it just started after an oil change loosen the drain plug 2 turns and spin the crush washer a 1/2 turn and re-tighten. next time change it or sand it down.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
So.... found something new out. If I ride it easy, no leak. If I push it harder, 90ish mph, the leak starts. I no longer think it's engine oil, I'm still unsure tho. The rear drive has oil on it. I feel like that may have been over filled and the seals are starting to rupture. I'll burp it like I was told and go from there. How hard and what's the cost of new seals for the rear drive? Anyone know off hand? I think I'll need some special tools to pull those seals. Am. I correct in thinking that?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
Give it the sniff test first. Transmission/rear drive oil is easy to tell from engine oil.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Parts came in and I replaced the main outer seal in the rear drive. Flushed and added new fluid to the tranny and rear drive. Took her out for a spin and I guess we'll see what or what isn't pooled up on the floor tomorrow. Took me about 5 hours.... but I don't have a bike stand. Using a car jack and Jack stands.

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »

Here's hoping that it is good and dry tomorrow Kevin...   :boozing:   Nice job.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
I took it for the freeway burn last night. Speeds up to 90ish. No puddle this morning. Hope it holds and  I didn't mess anything else up in the process. It was pretty straight forward.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »
Sounds like you got it.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
Hummus is wonderful , and goat cheese is also .

Dusty

Dusty:  Trader Joe's roasted red pepper hummus on Trader Joe's fig and olive crackers...That is the ticket. 

Oh, no TJs in OK?  Never mind.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Dusty:  Trader Joe's roasted red pepper hummus on Trader Joe's fig and olive crackers...That is the ticket. 

Ralph

Got em in Indiana, and that's about as backward as it gets.  :evil: They might even have em in Okie land, too. I like TJs..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »

Ralph

Got em in Indiana, and that's about as backward as it gets.  :evil: They might even have em in Okie land, too. I like TJs..

Yep , we got a TJ's in Tulsa on my Bday this year , guess they were waiting on electricity and running water  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
A premium rear drive oil (This is NOT a rear drive oil thread) is Red Line Heavy Duty Shockproof Synthetic gear lube.  It is a "must use" by most all desert car racers and bike racers.  A side benefit is that it is pink in color and should readily be distinguishable from other lubricants in engine and gearbox. 

When I sent a rear drive back to Charley Cole a few years ago, he asked "What is all this strawberry milkshake you Californians use in your rear drives?". 

BTW, has anyone got an update on Charley's health?

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here