Author Topic: Lots of engine assembly questions  (Read 6284 times)

Offline motogman

• Gosling
Lots of engine assembly questions
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
I am prepping my 74 engine for reassembly and have lots of questions. I don't have much engine rebuild experience (only a couple and the last was an 8N 15 years ago) and this is my first Guzzi motor.  I have found Greg Benders documentation on assembly of an 850 and that seems likely to be my main guide (at least at this point).  Some of my questions...

1)  Any reference to other good assembly threads is appreciated...  I am doing the search thing and finding some - lot s of really good experience and threads here - but if you have a favorite please share the link.

2)  How to clean the alumium cases and covers so they look nice - like lots of the motors you guys have done?  What do you use and what is your process for getting the cases cleaned up and looking new and natural?

3)  Assembly lube - what product is good?

Once I get things cleaned up and ready to assemble I will likely start a thread to document progress and get the experienced eyes here watching over my should to keep me from doing something really dumb.

Thanks.

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
Re: Lots of engine assembly questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »
Do you have an automotive transmission or engine rebuild shop in the area? Sometimes I have the all the parts vapor blasted but if you just want everything really clean you might try to find a place that has a jet washer. Its like a huge dishwasher for engine parts. I have a transmission shop 3 miles away and for a small fee they run my parts though the washer. They get clean but doesn't give you a like new finish. I like to use it on bikes that I want to stay original looking.

I am sure there are a wide variety of opinions on assembly lube but I use NAPA lubriplate 105. Its a light, white grease that contains zinc.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:34:59 PM »
Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel cleaner is my go to block cleaner.  Beware it will "cloud" polished aluminum it comes in contact with forcing you to repolish.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
 Wear nitrile gloves.  Any cleaner that is strong enough to work is probably carcinogenic or at least toxic as hell.
 Nitrile gloves won't dissolve in solvents or oils.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:46:46 AM »
I tried all sorts of stuff but it would always look grimey so I sprayed the casings with engine paint.

One thing I learned the hard way, step back and take a look every now and then, I carefully put the heads on for the first time
Stepped back to admire my good work, Oh shit, I put the heads on backwards LOL.
They are fun to put together especially when they fire right up at the first touch of the starter as mine did.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:03:40 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:52:35 AM »
God Roy I know what you mean, to the stepping back I'd also add walk away when things are getting difficult.

Well I do because its inevitable that I do the most damage when I'm frustrated.

That engine/trans looks awesome nice work .

To the OP

You might get better advice if people know where you are, I'd get the casings done by a shop if you want a real first class finish and it may cost a bit more than you think. If you are in the UK I can tell you where I got mine done if it helps

Almost any branded assembly lube will do the job, I used Red Line on a 1000 and am using Torco MPZ on an 1100

If its a small block then I have no clue if its a big block I don't know if you have come across Guzitech DK a sub set of Gregg's site where there is an awesome assembly article by Prof Roper and a not so awesome article by me on the 5 speed box plus lots of other stuff

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_index.htm   

I'd download all the Technical and Technical - The complex stuff articles (I have)

Hope that helps some

John

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »
Any reference to other good assembly threads is appreciated...  I am doing the search thing and finding some - lot s of really good experience and threads here - but if you have a favorite please share the link.

www.thisoldtractor. com  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
Great input and advice thus far.  I am in SE Michigan so there should be plenty of speed shops etc. in the area that may be able to do the cleaning.  Anybody in this part of Michigan that has some recommendations that are borne from a good experience please let me know.

Kiwi Roy -  that is a nice looking motor.

Sasquatch Jim - I should get the Nitrile...  I often clean (the first round anyway) with just pump gas and should probably do more to protect my skin.

I will check out Roper and Old Jock's rebuild thread today.

Keep the advice coming...

Thanks

canuck750

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
NAPA Aluminum brighter dilutes 50% and a very high pressure car wash, use a full face respirator and good rubber gloves

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=59430.0

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »

Sasquatch Jim - I should get the Nitrile...  I often clean (the first round anyway) with just pump gas and should probably do more to protect my skin.

I use Raven gloves, doubled up when using any nasty chemicals.

For your own safety and health, please don't use gasoline to clean. There are much better alternatives - I use Mineral Spirits ("Paint Thinner" from Lowe's) in my parts washer.

I was talking to Greg Bender the other day and he uses Purple Power heated in a Betty Crocker Roaster Oven. Says it cleans extremely well, but of course the Roaster Oven limits the size of parts that can be cleaned.
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
I use Stoddard solvent in the parts cleaner. If I'm going to be in oily stuff for long periods, I use a water soluable barrier cream liberally worked into cuticles, etc. up to my elbows. Nothing much affects it except water. I hate long periods of rubber gloves and sweaty hands.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »
Oh, forgot. you were asking about assembly lube. Yeah.. they make it.  :smiley: Lots of commercial stuff available. Besides that, I use a roughly 50-50 mix of STP and your favorite motor oil. Stays where you put it. I put it everywhere. Another thing I like to do is spritz some Marvel Mystery oil on all the valve stems, etc. It's a *really* good upper cylinder lube. After all this, fill with oil, crank with the plugs out until the oil pressure comes up, and you're golden.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
 Take real care to put as many parts back in as you take out , sounds simple , not always so simple to accomplish  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
Take real care to put as many parts back in as you take out , sounds simple , not always so simple to accomplish  :rolleyes:

Dusty

When I was first learning to work on bikes as a kid in grade school and high school I often had this problem.  Now my problem is finding all the parts that should go back in...    :laugh:   :wink:

Offline garbln

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
When I put my 1970 together I found a auto machine shop that had a huge ultrasonic cleaner.   Big enough to do V8 blocks & heads, for a few bucks they threw in my engine parts.  They don't look sand or vapor blasted but I know they are CLEAN inside and out and that's what I care about.  Use a assembly lube, crank it over till you get oil pressure as suggested  earlier and your good to go.

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
If you have everything all the way apart find someone who does soda blasting. All the alloy on my T3 came up looking like new and, best of all, you rinse in water.

Dave
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »
kerosene and a toothbrush
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:27 AM »
If you have everything all the way apart find someone who does soda blasting. All the alloy on my T3 came up looking like new and, best of all, you rinse in water.

Dave

Yeah, I took my engine, transmission and final drive to a guy who soda blasts everything from entire cars to little projects like mine. I think it cost me $50 bucks and they looked brand new when done.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline motogman

• Gosling
Re: Lots of engine assembly questions - new questions
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Progress is being made...

1)  When assembling joints with paper gaskets, like the oil pipe connections in the lower end etc., do you apply any lubricant to the paper gasket before assembly or put them together dry?

2)  Any problem with using 18-8 stainless fasteners in AL - life for the front timing cover and sump etc?

3)  How do you evaluate if the timing chain is OK or needs replaced?

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
FWIW,
I'm not doing an engine but I find it helpful to make notes and drawings :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
Re: Lots of engine assembly questions - new questions
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
Progress is being made...

1)  When assembling joints with paper gaskets, like the oil pipe connections in the lower end etc., do you apply any lubricant to the paper gasket before assembly or put them together dry?

2)  Any problem with using 18-8 stainless fasteners in AL - life for the front timing cover and sump etc?

3)  How do you evaluate if the timing chain is OK or needs replaced?

I generally assemble all gaskets dry.  If it's cork, like a float bowl gasket, I'll soak it I water for a few minutes so it will expand a bit and then crush to seal mating surfaces.  If it's a thin paper gasket, used in potentially fatal applications, like an oil union, I'll moisten them as well, to avoid cracking on pull up. I rarely use gasket goo with gaskets.

Stainless fasteners are ok in joints that are not highly stressed, and when extra appearance is desired.  I personally dislike the look of natural raw stainless fasteners.  If the fastener can be readily seen, I'll either polish to a chrome like shine, or glass bead blast to mimick a clean zinc fastener. 

Note, most stainless fasteners are rated well below property class 8.8 steel fasteners, the most common class used on metric automotive equipment.  You mention sump.  Since most leaks on motorcycles are thought to originate on sumps, and most people over tighten sump fasteners, and a broken sump bolt is a real nuisance to repair, and sump bolts are rarely an appearance item, I'd avoid stainless and use plated steel alloy fasteners.  I know lots of "ands" but I think you get the point.

Timing chains are easily measured with good equipment.  Look up the pitch length and measure the overall length with the chain pulled straight on a flat surface.  3% or greater stretch is a candidate for replacement.  Good info here.  http://www.diamondchain.com/understanding-wear-life.php

If the chain is endless and difficult to remove and measure, than mileage is a good gauge and on a complete rebuild, I'd probably routinely replace a timing chain at 30,000 miles and above.  Maybe less on a high performance bike like an MV Agusta.

Should you desire to use stainless fasteners, stainless bolts with stainless nuts tend to readily gall, I generally use anti seize and a torque wrench.

Ciao,
Dick Casey

84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Thanks Dick.

You mention moistening paper gaskets - is that with water or engine oil?  I thought a light oil might be best but that is what I am seeking others experience to understand.

Good point on the sump bolts - they are not really to visible.  The ones that I took out look like crap - rusty etc but I suspect you are correct that steel are better here.  The front covers (alternator and timing cover) and valve covers are where I am thinking SS cap screws.  I am no sure where else yet - I haven't gotten that far.    The bead blast idea is a good one.

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:01 AM »
Old dry thin paper gaskets can be moistened with water or WD40.  You are simply trying to return some pliability during assembly.

Please note, bead blasting or when wet, vapor blasting will leave lots of glass in every possible crevice, nook, and cranny.  Every threaded hole demands running a bottoming tap thru the threads.  Many think a blast of air, a bristle 'bottle brush', or a shot of WD 40 will be sufficient.  Nope, every hole must be chased with a tap, or the mating steel fastener will gall, resulting in many damaged holes and fasteners.

Please use abrasives like glass bead as the last possible resort, and never on surfaces that meet lubricating oil. 

One last thought on gasket goo.  I rarely use it, but if I must, primarily to hold a gasket to a surface during assembly, glue the gasket to the "removable part", like the sump cover, or timing chest cover, etc.  this way, should you be required to scrap off the gasket in the future, you can set the part on a work bench, not lay on the floor trying to scrap the under side of the engine block.

Next time you are in a NAPA auto parts store, buy several cans of Macs 4700 aerosol brake cleaner.  It's inexpensive, very effective cleaner/degreaser, and far less obnoxious than most others.  When you need to clean a small part during assembly, degrease a thread before applying thread locker, or wash a lightly oiled part, you can walk outside, apply a quick blast of Macs 4700, dry with a blast of sir and assemble.  Fast and effective.  It's a mainstay in my shop. 

The open tank of Stodard Solvent was discarded years ago.  To hazardous, too messy.  Today washing  with Super Clean, Simple Green, Macs 4700, a good pressure washer, and compressed air makes work more pleasant with better results, for this mechanic.  Always, safety first!

Ciao,
Dick
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »
Stainless steel grade A4-80 has the tensile strength of 8.8 steel. I've used SS extensively on my LM2. Just be sure to use a good lubricant on threads and bolt shanks, I use a copper based grease. I torque all fasteners but when fitting stainless fasteners into aluminium always use a torque wrench.
3% stretch...on a flat surface...if you're going to take the timing chain out to measure it, just replace it.
I decided mine was worn enough and replaced it at about 34K miles.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:31:52 PM by Stevex »

redrider

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
I use a thin layer of grease on paper gaskets. I can re-use valve cover gaskets many times.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here