Author Topic: Commuting by Motorcycle advice  (Read 8686 times)

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
Commuting by Motorcycle advice
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »
I live 1:45 from Miami Airport where I'm based to which I travel 4-6 times per month. I usually take I 95 down. However, SFL drivers tend to become aggressive around the Fort Lauderdale area so I'm planning on driving inland and get there via country highways. This will tack on another hour at least. I'll be riding in a leather jacket and mesh over pants with EVA padding. The bike is a first gen Norge. I've got a north face rain jacket and I'll get some rain pants.

Any nuggets of wisdom and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Commuting by Motorcycle advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
High-vis riding vest or jacket. If you can get something easily misinterpreted for law enforcement, so much the better.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
I used to own a Crown Victoria so I know what you're talking bout. If my Norge was white it would have been easier to pull off. Mine is black.

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
get a white fairing bra and some spot lights?
hi viz and white helmet too.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »
Take the bike to the train station and train in. 

Seriously, that is what I have been doing, but then I have a train that I can take, while you likely do not.  And my ride to the station is a pleasant 40minutes down mostly empty country roads.

I have taken the bike in to work a couple of times all the way to NYC.  Not tooting my own horn here, Melissa Holbrook Pierson learned to ride in the city, and there are any number of people who think nothing of tearing around in the city, but for a country boy like me, it's a big deal.  My route takes me parallel to the commuter tracks most of the way.  I'm beating the train for the first thirty miles as it pulls into stations every few minutes to take on passengers, but losing to the train as I hit bumper-to-bumper traffic as everyone funnels towards the bridges.  So for the two times I have tried this, it has been pretty much a break even---bike time was the same as train time.  But I also think this might be improved upon, considering I got a bit lost and/or picked a less than optimal route. 

Let's just say that I should have paid more attention to routes that take you past major bridge on-ramps.  Northern Boulevard cuts right across the entrance to the Queenboro Bridge.  What was I thinking?

So, I can't say I'm anything like an expert, but this is what I observe:

- A hi-viz riding suit definitely doesn't hurt.  I ride a black California and I still get the sense that drivers respect me.  Even so, I'm always pleasantly surprised when people pull over to let me pass on the highway.

- drivers will respect you more if you don't exploit the situation as much as you could.  When the traffic slows, I do not start splitting lanes, I wait my turn "like every one else".  I have been passed by other bikes that were lane splitting, but I did not.*  Generally, showing your respect for other drivers improves your chances that they will respect you.  They more or less still expect you to want to go faster than they do, going a little faster is better than going a lot faster.

- Google maps not only shows traffic, it  can also show typical traffic at any given time of day/day of the week.  Spend some time checking out the traffic pattern, you may come up with some interesting alternate routes.  Or perhaps different travel times.

- There's really nothing wrong with taking a less traveled route that will take longer if you have a more pleasant, safer experience.

- Morning traffic tends to be more focused than evening traffic, drivers putting on their makeup or reading the paper excepted.  Drivers headed in to work generally are focused on getting to their job on one piece.  Tired drivers on their way home after a frustrating day are more inclined to act aggressively if there's one more thing that pisses them off.  The evening ride home is the best time to find that quiet, longer, alternate route if you have a choice.

My two cents,
Matt

*To a person, every co-worker that I have talked to about biking in has asked me about "that thing bikers do going between the cars", generally the first question out of their mouths.  It pisses them off and I have to say, I can relate to their feelings.  I tell them I do not do that, it's called "lane splitting" or "filtering", or if I do, it has to be in bumper to bumper traffic, and then at only a few miles per hour.  I try to educate them about it, but for the most part, they want to know that I'm not the kind to go blasting down between lines of cars pissing them off.
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:18:20 PM »
When I go to the airport, I take a motorcycle cover. Then I can cable-lock my helmet under the cover and use the bags for boots and other gear. I find that a carry-on backpack speeds the whole process too. One carry-on bag to take as-is without any re-packing. Maybe the backpack will fit in one of the Norge's bags - or maybe you wear it.

Tacking on an extra hour of back-country roads seems like a nice luxury and a good safety decision... make the ride more fun and avoid the congestion.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
I commuted to work from Elmhurst Queens to 106th street, upper West side of Manhattan for 15 years.  Split lanes every day.  The cabs split lanes when they can get away with it and no one freaks out.  Many times the considerate cagers on my route would slide over to give me room or fold in their mirrors to ease my passage.  New Yorkers share the road with everything from rollerbladers to souvlaki carts.  The shy stay home and motorcyclists are nothing to get worked up about.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania?  Ask Blackcat about lanesplitting with me down the Pennsylvania Turnpike...
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
  Ride as if your life depended on it.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

rob-mg

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »
I commuted to work from Elmhurst Queens to 106th street, upper West side of Manhattan for 15 years.  Split lanes every day.  The cabs split lanes when they can get away with it and no one freaks out.  Many times the considerate cagers on my route would slide over to give me room or fold in their mirrors to ease my passage.  New Yorkers share the road with everything from rollerbladers to souvlaki carts.  The shy stay home and motorcyclists are nothing to get worked up about.

I live in Jackson Heights, which as you know is next door to Elmhurst.

I can't say that my experience is that New York drivers are a big happy family.

I suggest that you look at the fatality and injury rate in New York (there's good reporting on it) which is why the speed limit in the city was reduced to 25mph almost exactly one year ago. The carnage on New York City streets is alarming.

You can start here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/visionzero/pages/home/home.shtml
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:11:12 PM by rob-mg »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
I wouldn't get a false sense of security on the smaller highways. At least on I-95 you know they are out to get you and can act accordingly.
A little bit of caution induced adrenaline is sually a good thing.
But if you have time to take the longer way, good on you!
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
I rode I85 around the Atlanta area for years.

Add bright driving lights. A bright set of LED lights can be found for a cheap price. Space them away from the headlights.
Add loud horns. They can help. They can also be ignored.
Add bright driving lights.
Add a secondary brake light, just in case.
Wear a bright helmet color, and bright colored jacket or vest.

I saw an article a few days ago that claimed the Montana had the worse drivers in the US. Sorry but I still think it is Florida. Every time I have ridden through Florida, someone ALWAYS pulls out in front of my, like I don't exist.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
I rode I85 around the Atlanta area for years.

Add bright driving lights. A bright set of LED lights can be found for a cheap price. Space them away from the headlights.
Add loud horns. They can help. They can also be ignored.
Add a secondary brake light, just in case.
Wear a bright helmet color, and bright colored jacket or vest.

I saw an article a few days ago that claimed the Montana had the worse drivers in the US. Sorry but I still think it is Florida. Every time I have ridden through Florida, someone ALWAYS pulls out in front of my, like I don't exist.

I would have to agree. It is the most unintelligent free for all I've ever whitnessed. I'm not so worried until I get to the Lauderdale area. Then the scenery transitions from grandma in the left lane her head under her arm to illegal immigrants weaving in and out of traffic in blacked out BMW's with chrome wheels. Sigh...

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
My advice: don't stop for school buses! The school teacher running late for work won't stop for school buses, and she certainly won't stop for you. Ask my first Norge how I know...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »
Avoid riding at night when it's raining. 
If you find yourself daydreaming, commute in a car.
Like the earlier poster said, if you can do a ride (mc)/ride (train) combo, could be the best of both.
If you stop loving the ride, stop riding.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »
Thanks for jumping in with more advice, especially the experienced city riders.  I feel stupid enough offering advice based on two trips to the big city.  It would have been worse if you all hadn't joined in.

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
Take a few side trips to find the route with fewest hazards. Find one that works, use it every day. Take note of construction, or road hazards on the return route side of the road, remove them if time permits. Make movements that alert oncoming cars to your presence.   

I seldom ride on a Friday, because I work second shift at the airport. Even the oldsters I work with wanna hurry and get home to be with Mama, hit that bottle or bong. People get stupid on Friday. I drive my 4x4 on Friday.  :laugh:

Good luck. Be sure your loved ones know your route in case you need assistance.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
I live 1:45 from Miami Airport where I'm based to which I travel 4-6 times per month. I usually take I 95 down. However, SFL drivers tend to become aggressive around the Fort Lauderdale area so I'm planning on driving inland and get there via country highways. This will tack on another hour at least. I'll be riding in a leather jacket and mesh over pants with EVA padding. The bike is a first gen Norge. I've got a north face rain jacket and I'll get some rain pants.

Any nuggets of wisdom and recommendations will be appreciated.

:1: to most of what has been said already.  I regularly commuted in the DC area on both the interstates & on local roads for 20+ years & I'd add/reiterate that a white helmet & high-viz jacket seem to awaken a latent fear of police in many car drivers which often (not always) results in them giving a little more space & less aggression.  I also found that adding a J&M CB on one side of my handlebars & a GPS on the other side made some of the more paranoid (i.e. chronically speeding) drivers calm down a bit.  I had another motorcycle follow me for a couple of miles trying to figure out if I was a cop on an "unmarked" bike - he admitted as much at a light that caught both of us.  Keeping the GPS on the computer readout instead of the map display also makes the instrument more official looking - is that a GPS or a radar detector....?
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »

"I live in Jackson Heights, which as you know is next door to Elmhurst.

I can't say that my experience is that New York drivers are a big happy family."

Rereading my post it does sound a little kum-ba-ya...

I just appreciate that New Yorkers don't jerk the wheel towards you, throw refuse at you, empty ashtrays into your path or open their door because they are stuck in traffic and you aren't.  Looking at you, PA and NJ drivers!

One time I was picking my way through stopped traffic down the Queensboro bridge ramp into Manhattan when a disgruntled Asian woman laid on her horn as I passed -- It was my wife, she left 45 minutes before me and was 5 miles into a 40 mile commute to NJ.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
Make every effort to never sit motionless at traffic lights.  Allow enough room to run-off if a car behind you is not going to stop.  Google SMIDSY and employ the strategy.

At every stop, where you may become the meat in a sandwich, position yourself to run-off and pre determine which side. 

If I'm obliged to stop, a car is in front, nothing behind, I'll stop 50 to 100 feet short, and watch my tail.  As a car approaches from behind, I pulse my brakes, and as they near, roll forward, while not being obtrusive. 

When obliged to roll to a stop in traffic with a car behind you, slow your roll rate to a crawl 30 or 40 feet from your intended stop point.  Far too many auto drivers divert their attention to mobile devices in the last  10 feet of stopping and frequently creep into stopped vehicles.  Force the car to stop a few feet earlier, without being obnoxious or obtrusive. 

If filtering, and pulling to the head of the queue, select the vehicle least likely to be confruntive.  If possible, a polite nod to the driver pays big rewards, and using a slow double glance to appear to be reading and memorizing the license plate, generally causes drivers to be less aggressive when the light goes green.

Command your lane. 

If a vehicle is non aggressively tailgating, simply dropping a foot off a foot rest or appearing to be an inattentive rider will usually cause auto drivers to back off.  This will work only a few times before the driver may get annoyed.   If annoyed, move to the right and with slow, deliberate, non aggressive hand signals, direct the vehicle to overtake you.  Do not appear annoyed, appear to be in command.

If on multi lane roads, in moderate traffic and I want a tailgater to over-take me, with deliberate motion, I will quickly look down at my front wheel, leaning my body well to each side of the bike, as if I have a mechanical problem.  This is very effective at gaining attention and folks will back off promptly

Do not rely on bright colors, assuming you are being seen.

When riding in multi lane city traffic, where on-coming traffic can turn left, do not ride in a place where you are obscured by the vehicle in front of you.  All too often a car waiting to turn left will make a quick movement having not seen the motorcycle following in the 'vision shadow' of a van or truck.

When riding in traffic, with cross streets, when possible, focus on stationary vehicles front wheel.  You will see the wheel begin to rotate long before your eye will see the overall vehicle movement. 

If it serves my safety, I'd rather appear to a car driver, as a novice rider than a rider that is being a butt or smart ass.  Aggression usually causes more aggression, and as a two-wheeled soft shell crab, I don't want to fight a car.

Ciao,
Dick

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:59:12 AM by racasey »
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
My attitude- I ride as though I am invisible (although I wear bright colors).  My safety is 100% my responsibility an 0% everyone else around me.  I never expect that anyone else on the road has my best interest in mind.  I respect this notion, I do not fear it.  When the time comes that I fear being on my motorcycle, that will be the time that I sell it.

Respect what happens on your commute.  If there are more negatives than positives to what you propose, leave the bike at home.  You only get one life.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:22:33 AM »
Stay on the left side of your lane.  On coming traffic can't see you on the right side of the lane and the center of the lane is where every cage leaks oil and other slippery fluids.  Stay in the left lane and command your lane, keep a good distance from the car in front of you so everyone can see you and you have an escape route should you need it.  I'm a country boy that hates driving anything in the city but find myself having to do it way too often.  Bright lights "every where" and reflective clothing.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »
All good advise.  You might try David Huogh's book "Proficient Motorcycling".  Knowledge learned after 25 years of motorcycle coummiting in Seattle.  Considered a must read by plenty of motorcyclists.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice so far. Quite a few of the comments were things I hadn't thought of.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »

New Jersey and Pennsylvania?  Ask Blackcat about lanesplitting with me down the Pennsylvania Turnpike...

Yeah, never be the one following in a lane splitting ride in PA as they get pissed at the lead rider and then attempt to kill the guy following him.

Commuting on a Norge is no picnic, but that is if you are lane splitting as I did in NYC. In my case it did slow me down which is a good thing.  I don't know how acceptable it is south Florida, but if it is I would at least remove one of the bags until you get adjusted to the dance.

"I can't say that my experience is that New York drivers are a big happy family."

Compared to taking the subway, I find that riding a bike in the city is a better experience.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline mgmark

• Hatchling
  • Those schnitzengrubens can wear you out.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:46 AM »
Studies have shown a bright yellow helmet gets the most noticed by drivers. Anything to be seen.

Loud horns for the inattentive driver who starts to wander into your lane without looking. These things have saved me a couple of times.

Be aware and attentive. Ride defensively as if cars are going to do something unsafe towards you. Leave yourself plenty of room all aound.

Florida has crazy and inattentive drivers. I lived there over 30 years and know what you are dealing with.
Stay safe.
Mark
1984 LeMans > 1985 LeMans + 1978 LeMans > 1989 Lemans > 20 years later, 1985 Lemans > 1980 SP1000
2019 Triumph T100 Bonneville

MGNOC #11062

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
99.9% of all of my motorcycle riding has been commuting or traveling on business.  Traffic is traffic.  Some days every jerk is going to cut you off and try to run you off the road.  Other days they will back up to let you by and not tailgate you.  I also find evening commute (especially Fri or day before a holiday) to be the worst for rabid drivers.

If you have a white Norge, then I'd get a white helmet.  Doesn't hurt if someone thinks you're a cop.  If not a white bike, then get high viz stuff.  You are wearing leathers so get a good reflective vest to wear over the jacket.

Extra lights.  I like a big triangle of lights in front.  If riding at night then a big triangle of red lights in the back as well.  I also apply reflective tape to the sides and back of my helmet as well as to the bike, side and rear especially.

Ride like you are invisible.  Yes, everyone says it.  Try it.  Think about it every time a car comes near you or approaching any intersection.  Especially where a parking lot feeds onto a main road.  Think about it on the freeway when you want to ride between two cars.  Every car next to you is going to move into your lane.  Where are you going to go?  On two lane roads, do not expect the guy behind you to slow down or stop.  Slow down for traffic signals.  Make it clear to the person behind you that you are ready to stop, not rush the yellow.  The guy behind you will try to go through the interesection if the light turns yellow, even if you are in front of him.

Last NEVER stay in a blind spot for more than a split second.

Forgot one.  Multi-lane road.  Truck is in left turn lane waiting for a clear spot.  You are in lane next to him going straight.  The guy in the left turn lane coming at you CANNOT see you because of the truck!!!  Move to the next lane or at least move as far right in your lane as you can.  SLOW DOWN.  Be ready to stop when the guy pulls into your lane to see around the truck.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:18:45 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
Read somewhere that white helmets are the most noticeable at farther distances.I also wear an orange vest.I know drivers see me but in colder weather I wear the black jacket too and it seemed they really noticed me.At least 2 people have pulled up next to me and said they thought I was police. Guys at work say I look like a dork with the vest.I don't care what I look like because I can't see me.Safety over ego.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:26:17 AM by slowmover »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Make every effort to never sit motionless at traffic lights.  Allow enough room to run-off if a car behind you is not going to stop.  Google SMIDSY and employ the strategy.
Had never heard of SMIDSY before - http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/84.html

I go with the garish combination of a bright red bike and a bright yellow helmet.  (Used to be bright) red Joe Rocket Ballistic armored jacket with reflective stripes. 

No matter how you work on conspicuity, some ninny will not see you.  Ride as if there are a highway full of ninnys who have more important things on their minds than your life (like watching TMZ on their phones).
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
Yep, just ask ambulance drivers how many times people try and hit them, when they have all the lights and siren on!
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
Change from staying in the left side of the lane to the right for tailgaters or weave.  Do this if you have the green light at an intersection.  This is so you don't blend in with the traffic behind you and they do a leftie in front of you.  You're more visible to the traffic behind you too.  The whoIle thing is to make yourself more visible. 

I also create more of a claim to my right in traffic by making a little larger buffer zone in front and back of my bike.  Drifting back behind the car in front of you, weaving in your lane and then nailing the throttle.  Do this a couple of times and the car behind you will give you more room than tailgate you.  If they're like some of the brain dead tourists out here.  You'll need to do this a number of times. 

Filtering in traffic is only legal in CA so if you do this consider the risks/rewards in other states.  I've "lane split" I5 north of Seattle on a Friday afternoon.  Always in NYC when traffic isn't moving.  Depends on the traffic.  Make it quick before the car drivers can react.

A while half helmet will definitely get their attention with a white Norge. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here