Author Topic: toaster404's California 1400 thread - questions and observations  (Read 38041 times)

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
Re: toaster404's California 1400 thread - questions and observations
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
In a sealed system time is not a big factor. Temperature and pressure will degrade the fluid over time. If in doubt, there are some very inexpensive "Test Strips" available at most parts supply houses that will give a good indication as to the condition of the brake fluid. Although brake fluid is inexpensive and it does not take much time to replenish it if you have 2 people for those who like servicing their own bikes.  :boozing:   
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
I think I need to bleed the brakes on my 72 Eldorado, they don't work worth a damm
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
Last year Muley's integrated system baked after a spirited ride.  I think he had about 200k miles on it though.

I've done my front, single brake but not the integrated front/rear.  But on the rear before I change my pads I open the reservoir, suck out the juice, then close it up (helps me push the pistons back).  Once I've done the brakes I open it back up, put in new juice, go for a ride, then top it off.  I don't know if that helps or not but I've changed pads at least 3 times now so maybe?

Oh and on my forks the oil was changed once early on but never since.  They still work...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:59:45 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
FWIW, I changed the fluid on the Jackal maybe once after maybe 6 years or so. I had to as I was installing a brake pressure switch to replace that stupid ball and lever.

Anyway, that stuff came out nasty looking. Brake lever feel was much improved after that (and that pressure switch worked perfectly).

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
Toaster...:

Seems to me I recall that there is a SPECIFIC factory procedure for bleeding the brakes... and the ABS controller, which is part of the circuit. iF you are NOT following the FACTORY procedure you will not be doing the job correctly... This is not "your father's Moto Guzzi" nor is it "just like any old breaking system" RTFM.... Read the Fine Manual....
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Look, don't take this the wrong way but why do you own a motorbike? I have to ask because it seems that it's more a kind of therapy for your OCD than anything truly enjoyable.

Can I suggest you just get on it and ride the tits off it and then if anything goes wrong you just, well, y'know? 'Fix it'!

Pete

I rather prefer with bikes for nothing to go wrong on the road.  I change coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, or if a bike is new to me so I have a starting point.  I also do odd things like evaluate tire pressure for myself & gear and then 2 up.  Perform other routine maintenance.  That is an entirely reasonable thing to do.  Perhaps growing up around aircraft influenced my approach.

I always get and follow the service manuals, which I did in this case.  No special instructions for the ABS.  I do know that I need to cycle the ABS system front and rear while riding to move fluid in and out of the pump. 

If something goes wrong I have very little backup.  Rides regularly take me outside of cell phone coverage.  I do not live in a city.  Things do happen.  I fairly regularly help visitors to the area who have mechanical issues. I would rather be the helper than the helpee.

Once set up, things are different.  My VL800 generally gets oil every 2500 miles, a valve check/adjust every 3rd change, rear end fluid every 3rd oil change, fork oil and coolant every two years, drive shaft inspected every rear tire change along with rear brakes inspected (drum).  Past that and routine lubrication it just gets ridden.  When I got it, I had to disassemble and lube a bunch of things, adjust the head bearings, change the front brake line, put real brake pads in, true the wheels, etc.  So a new to me bike will indeed get a good deal of attention.  At close to 50,000 miles, it's about time for a major go-through.  If my SO decides she wants it, we will probably pull it down a good ways for inspection, paint the frame where needed, replace all the soft hoses, Perhaps put on a better rear damper, and change the paint color.  Repack the head bearings. That unusual stuff one doesn't do too often.  Otherwise, it is a utility bike that gets regular maintenance and doesn't break down.  It doesn't break down because it gets that regular maintenance, like changing old brake fluid.

I believe that kind of attention is warranted.  For example, waiting until the brakes fail to look at and maintain them may well work for some people, but I simply can't do that.

And I don't have any OCD issues.  I do have a background that includes attendance at MVAs including those with fatalities, root cause analysis of industrial accidents, forward looking risk assessment for a variety of things.  For vehicles and machinery failure to maintain or watch what goes into the machine (wrong fuel, old fuel, failure to have routine inspections done) causes a substantial number of incidents.  Wing falls off.  Engine stops after takeoff.  The other aspect is failure to maintain proficiency.  If I recall correctly, aircraft operation for less than 20 hours / month marks a big up tick in accident rate for light aircraft.  Both of these factors come into play with higher performance or powerful vehicles. 

Looking back, this approach works.  I cannot recall a single substantial roadside breakdown on a motorcycle that I've experienced.  The last auto breakdown was a perished fitting on my 1996 BMW.  Now all the cooling/heating system fittings and hoses are new, something that was actually on my "to do" list.

Regardless, the tendency of this particular MC to retain bubbles seemed noteworthy and useful.  It is the most resistant MC I've experienced. 

Such things are important.  I recall an incident in Virginia where a car went off the road on descent.  Turned out the brake fluid was contaminated, the water in it boiled as the brakes got too hot, the brakes went into vapor lock and the car went off the road.  I do not want this to happen to me or anyone on my bikes.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 09:52:09 AM »
And I don't have any OCD issues.

Uhhh, yeah, SUUUUUUURRRRRREEEE.

Look, I'm what we would call "a tad anal-retentive" and by a tad I mean to the point that sometimes I'm sure I'm on the OCD spectrum.

And you make me look as care free as a puppy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm simply trying to add some perspective here.

RIDE SAFE!

Kev
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:11:48 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Probably comes with a background and work in applied science!  Working with things that can create interesting issues makes one attentive.  One problem I caught could have created an off limits area of hundreds of square miles, including a mid-size city. Of course, would only have to be off limits for 20 or 30,000 years . . . . !

Brakes work perfectly now, and the laminar lip does very well.  I would like to lift the air stream about 1/2" higher and kill some of the air moving up along the tank.  More effective lowers will do both, so I will get to those sometime pretty soon. 

I consider brakes, tires, and suspension safety class systems and tend to check early and often.

Here's a funny aside.  Apparently someone in an Escalade was so annoyed at having their picture taken by one of the pro photographers on US129 Dragon that they drove through the photographers tent and pushed him out of the way.  I am sure that law enforcement will be interested in that, and I passed the word up the line that I would be willing to talk to the victim on the civil side.  People get so warped out.

On the good eats side of things, visitors to the "Dragon" would do well to stop at TC's Grill in Maryville - very good American fare, one block off US 129.

Another fine place to visit is Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville on US321.  Nice folks, lots of gear and advice, with repairs available across the access drive at Power Sports Pro.

July 4, we have a ride scheduled over the Dragon, to Cherokee, if anyone will be in the area.  Same ride I started out on July 4, 2012 when we hit a dog and broke leg/ankle bones between the two of us!

Be well

nunzio

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
toaster404: "I do have a background that includes attendance at MVAs including those with fatalities, root cause analysis of industrial accidents, forward looking risk assessment for a variety of things."

toaster404: "July 4, we have a ride scheduled over the Dragon, to Cherokee, if anyone will be in the area."

AND you are going to ride  the "Dragon" on JULY 4TH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :grin:

Sorry, but that made me laugh out load !!!

Alan

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »
Not only that, but I already crashed a motorcycle heading to the Dragon on July 4, 2012.

It's just the easiest way for me to get to NC.  I've been going across Deals Gap regularly since the late 1980s, long before it got popular with motorcyclists.

It's not bad at all early in the morning - I'm usually in the first run of photographs at about 8:30 to 9 am. 

Oddly, no problems when really crowded because everyone is slow.

Once in NC, no issues really.  Sometimes a jerk on 28 scooting too fast. 

Regardless, now reset to the 5th - will be the 1400, the VStar 250 and a Harley ultra something or other.  Unless someone else wants to go.

A friend of mine used to commute across the Dragon by motorcycle.  Did that for years. 

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »
The dual scooter horns on the 1400 fooled my SO into thinking they were loud deer whistles today.  They must go.  Even her Yamaha 250 has LOUD twin horns (aftermarket).  Any suggestions on replacements that fit well on the 1400?   I have Fiamm on one other bike and some cheapies that are LOUD from Harbor Freight on another.  I'd rather not have obvious horn bulk on the 1400, though.

The grips are an issue.  Thinner than I prefer and am used to.  I like the Avon air grips, http://avongrips.com/shop/products/Air-Cushion-Chrome-Grips-with-Throttle-Assist.html but I'd also like heat, with the obvious choice being the plug & play from MG for $150. 

Suggestions?

At this point, I have the Kuryakyn Grantour for a backrest, AirHawk 2 for seat comfy, ROX risers to pull the bar back a bit, the stock windshield with very effective Laminar Lip, and home grown lowers that will be replaced.  Getting the bike where I like it. 

I will see whether I can find the shop in Cherokee this weekend that has very nice sheepskin seat covers.  That and grips should do it.  Will be into detailing. 

Transmission clearly broke in more today - slightly clunk clunk even, which I don't mind.  Engine still feels tight compared to my broken in bikes.  But running very well.  Feels lean.  Acts lean.  Not too lean, but just on the lean end of acceptable.  Valves still sound even.  Have a few more miles before I do the first adjustment.  Will be interesting to do.

Thanks for all the help getting to know this nice machine.  My Suzuki feels like cardboard after the 1400.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »
Buy the grips you like, and get some heated gloves. You ride more without heat than with, and that will allow you to run the preferred grips.

I use the heat demon kit and BMW sport grips. I like this combination and have been using it for years. Heat demons are 25 bucks or so, and the sport grips are about the same as I recall. I had both here when I got my new bike, so it has been a while since I purchased them.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:30 AM »
Will the Fiamms not fit?

I bought a pair of foam 'tubes' to slip over the grips on my EV. Easy to do, and made them more comfortable.

Try the shop across from the Burger King in Cherokee.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:49 AM »
Fiamm, Wolo, and Steibel (sp?) all make compact air horns like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bad-Max-Air-Horn-for-Cars-Trucks-And-Motorcycles-/171021137393?hash=item27d1a775f1&vxp=mtr

I've got one on one bike.  135 Db claimed.  I don't know if that's accurate, but it's plenty.

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2015, 07:55:52 AM »
I'll check all those out. Thanks.  I've already had to use pathetic stock once, fortunately the fellow's window was open.

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2015, 08:22:33 AM »
Grips.  Grab on slippers:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage  Start here and if you want to spend more go for it.

Horns:  I've gone through two sets of Highway blasters mainly from not being careful when I wash the bike.  This last time I replaced them with the Blazer set they sell at Autozone and they are almost identical. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
Running 36.3 front rose to just shy of 40 in moderate riding.  Seems too high to me.  Figure I'll start at 38 - 42 next time, see what the rise is.  Stock tires.  Any suggestions from experience?  I don't like to see a bunch of rise.  Rather see 3 to 5 (at the most) under lots of turns.  Figure I'll check pressure after the Dragon on Sunday.

Machine got a chrome license plate frame and foam grip enlargers today.  Managed to get the slipping mirror to stay in place.  Chrome against chrome isn't really a great idea!! 

After sitting on a custom saddle on a Harley, really mulling that route over! 

elvisboy77

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
I think a ten percent increase cold to hot is pretty normal.  Round to the nearest PSI, of course.  I am glad you like your Guzzi!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
That's close to 10 percent and would be considered normal
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
It's a normal rise, but after a fairly laid back 4 miles.  I'll see what happens on the Dragon Sunday.  That usually gets my tires warmed up adequately, and report back.

Finished my halfpipe lowers today - look like they'll both deflect laterally and funnel a good deal of air up behind the windshield.  The laminar lip has the vortices just tapping the top of my helmet - over 2" of rise.  The original lowers were good for 1".  So I expect these to be good for 1 1/2" rise - that should clear my helmet entirely.  If they just calm down the around-the-tank flow a little bit I'll be golden.

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
Noted a lead that appears to be for a maintainer or for accessory power or likely both under the seat.  Is this correct?  I did glance through the manual, but didn't see anything about it.  Don't know whether it is fused or not.  I would like to have a combination cigarette lighter / USB power access area somewhere.  Not sure where to mount where it is weather protected.  Perhaps to the windshield mount, but then there's the problem of holding the charging accessories.  I usually have the power outlets in a saddle bag.  Charge phone etc while riding.

Suggestions?

elvisboy77

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »
Battery Tender makes some nice accessories such as plugs, connectors, USB ports and chargers.  I have two chargers, they work great!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »
I'm merging some of your threads.  No need for a bunch of threads on one bike by one owner.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
Thank you for merging.  I will post pictures later of the various things done to the bike. 

Went through everything for tomorrow, which if weather cooperates should be 200 to 275 miles of mixed normal secondary and twisty roads, no doubt including several "name" roads.   The bike is much more comfy with Air Hawk, ROX pullback risers, foam covers on grips, and the Kuryakyn GranTour backrest bag.  An oddly and comfortably tight position for a big bike, just enough room to vary position sufficiently to avoid fatigue, I believe.  Will see.  I should be able to get the tires well warm and see what kind of pressure they like.

My partner sat on both my DL1000 and the MG 1400 today for the first time, and was very surprised how compact and open the position seemed on the MG1400.  She fits well on the DL1000 also, but might need to drop the pegs slightly (stiff ankle) and get the bars back a little.  Indicated she could see how riding a larger machine need not be particularly intimidating. 

Continuing her inquiry, we went out and she sat on bikes again.  She came back to the Scout, VStar 650, and surprise best fit of all, Harley Sportster 1200 in some configurations.  No better fit than on my VL800, but the Harley is a superior machine in many ways. Also, for a relatively non-mechanical person, the support system is tremendous.  There's a big oversupply of 5 to 10 year old Harleys, so the cash price on one of those would be doable.  I really do need to find older Moto Guzzi for her to try the position on. 

For early longer trips in preparation for maybe going out west next year, we are talking about doing the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Charlottesville in a couple of months.  Maybe do a coastal trip.  She has never seen an ocean, amazing but true. A surprise for those of us well familiar with surf, sand, wheeling gulls, and the feel of a vessel beneath us.  Then in the fall, do a trip to Florida (business and pleasure reasons).  Or if the weather holds, to visit her family in Chicago area.  I'd actually like to run from Minnesota over through Michigan visiting violin-related businesses and makers. 

I wish she fit on a Bonneville or V7.  Either of those would be nice to have around.

Enjoy the 4th 5th etc!

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
Here is the beast as set up satisfactorily, finally:

(The whole gallery is at http://imgur.com/a/cI4lf)

From the front, deer whistle on the far side, stock windshield spaced out about 2 cm to let more air in, laminar lip, halfpipe lowers (very effective), ROX risers, foam grip slip-ons (Thanks!  Good idea & cheap), air hawk 2 on the saddle, and Kuryakyn Grantour bag as back rest.  Very comfy.

Here's the seating area showing the Kury bag attachment - handles leaning back just fine, and fits a helmet.

And the ROX spacers, which I'm still experimenting with:

Front view showing the halfpipes, spaced out windshield, and laminar lip.  Very smooth and quiet ride now.

We went out in scattered rain.  Took US129 south towards the Dragon from Maryville, then the Foothills Parkway (bike loved the climb - I think more break-in occurred just on the climb, finally got a load on the rings), headed into Townsend for a nice lunch, then towards Maryville on River Road paralleling US321, and finally US321 back home.  I used the rain MAP setting during the first half.  Mellowed out substantially, a surprisingly different character.  After lunch, back to tourismo and she had a harder time keeping up.  I haven't tried veloce yet.

Yesterday's check showed the gear box lube level down about 3 tablespoons.  I was surprised.  Engine oil was fine.  Both look new still - no darkening on the engine oil at all.  Must be a clean running engine!

82.4 miles, average speed 33 mph, 36.6 mpg.  Lots of stop and go at times, though. 

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
Say, I'm intrigued by the ROX risers. They sell several "universal fit" models--which did you get? Your photos are really good, but I can't make out which ROX model you have. Thanks for any advice, and safe riding.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:36 PM »
The ROX were slightly used via eBay, 1 1/8" version.  Had to both work the original risers to make the hole round and work down the ROX to get them to the right size.  A little trouble, but everything polished up fine and holds nicely.  These I am pretty sure: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rox-2-pivot-risers-for-1-18-handlebars?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=983371&gclid=CjwKEAjwq-OsBRDd95aryprR9wQSJACQnU3GPaQ9xtOZ_orxlNdcZR6IC5_Z3_hr0Guh7i68DfJH_hoCzd3w_wcB

Had to relocate clutch & brake lines to get slack.  Reach is more comfortable now.  I think they're ugly, but they'll do.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 11:22:37 AM »
Sometimes when I start spending lots and lots of money and time getting my bike just EXACTLY right, or read a thread about how to get the last bit of refinement out of an 800 pound $18,000 touring bike ....

I go back and read "Gasoline Gypsy" by Peggy Thomas, who bought a 125cc BSA Bantam, rode it two-up 4500 miles around Europe, then shipped it to New York, bought a 60-pound Airedale dog as a companion, and rode 14,000 miles around Canada, the US, and Mexico with all her camping gear and the dog on the back of the bike and had a marvelous time .....

Sometimes you need that kind of input to realize that sometimes you just need to get out and ride, and not sweat and hyperventilate over making everything perfect.   

Or maybe girls are just tougher than we are when they put their minds to it ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here