Author Topic: Arg! Another tire puncture.  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Arg! Another tire puncture.
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »
What is it with my Norge? I have rode my T-3 for over 70,000 miles and have only had two punctures. On the way back from JN's funeral I noticed that the bike didn't feel quite right at times. I just chalked it up to the crappy Oklahoma rodes until I started hearing a hum that sounded like truck mud tires. Sure enough the tire was way down on the rear. Was able to put air in and get home at least. It is amazing how well these low profile tires still handle with almost no air pressure.
I have rode my T-3 over 70,000 miles and have had a grand total of two punctures. On my Norge this will will be my fourth in just over 11,000 miles. Three rear and one front. This is getting frustrating. Keep this up and Bill Hagan will lose his status for flats.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
Re: Arg! Another tire puncture.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
GRRRRRRRRR

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Penderic

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »
It is not the tire, it is the world getting even.

:boozing:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »
over 11,000 miles. Three rear and one front. This is getting frustrating. Keep this up and Bill Hagan will lose his status for flats.
GliderJohn

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Never thought that would ever happen!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Low tire pressure warning systems are worth their weight in money. They can be the difference between a salvaged and repaired tire vs a trashed one. More important, the difference between staying upright and getting smeared in a corner.

$200 seems like cheap peace of mind. Going to try one out.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:30:24 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
So am I approaching the Hagan mark at 7 punctures in five years? Most have been on the Norge, but the last was on the BMW one week ago: Pirelli Angel GT rear with less than 200 miles on it.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
Just ordered the Doran system. It should arrive here in about 4-5 days and I will report back on how it works.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »
Did you buy the bike from Hagan?  His ju-ju might be stuck to it . . .

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
I think I got you all beat. Nov 2014 I put new tires on my Tundra. 18" Michelin not cheap, and on my kids truck for Christmas. 300 miles later puncture in one. 2 weeks later my kid got an flat in his new ones. last month in 2 weeks and 1500 miles on my new Kawasaki Versys 1000 a nail dead center. this week one dead center in the Gold wing. how ever it is a run flat car tire and hasn't lost a bit of air in the 2000 miles I drove it home from Montana this weekend. oh well it had 18000 on it when it happened but for sure my luck sucks lately.
I think it is the short front fenders doing it. never had one in 150,000 on the EV"s. (shouldn't have said that!}
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »
These low pressure warning sensors you guys mention... any links to read up on them? Can they be installed on any wheel?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
These low pressure warning sensors you guys mention... any links to read up on them? Can they be installed on any wheel?

That was going to be my question too.   Sounds like a useful and worthwhile use of technology .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »
Ride-On TPS.   It has been in all my tires since 2003.  Besides the flat sealing I get 25-30% better tire life.   I don't want to open myself up to a tirade of grief for disbelievers, or care to convince anyone of its value but I am sold.   
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
I'm wondering if the traction control system on my '16 Stone might also function indirectly as a TPS, since it will trigger if the 2 wheels aren't rotating at constant relative rates.  Has anyone here had a TC system light up when a tire lost some air?
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline scura283

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Try this link-http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/fobo-bike-tpms-review/

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
I'm wondering if the traction control system on my '16 Stone might also function indirectly as a TPS, since it will trigger if the 2 wheels aren't rotating at constant relative rates.  Has anyone here had a TC system light up when a tire lost some air?

2012 Stelvio...with TC.  Never indicated any change due to low air pressure...down to 19psi on the front.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
Aren't those systems sudden decrease in tyre pressure warnings rather than low pressure warning?
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:27 AM »
Ride-On TPS.   It has been in all my tires since 2003.  Besides the flat sealing I get 25-30% better tire life.   I don't want to open myself up to a tirade of grief for disbelievers, or care to convince anyone of its value but I am sold.

What's the clean-up like when changing a tire w/ Ride-On in it?
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 07:09:03 AM »
Stop running over shit that sticks in your tires.  :boozing:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
The problem with plugging is that you have to find the leak. I put 41 pounds in yesterday afternoon and it is at 0 this morning. I cannot find a thing visually, the stem seems tight, cannot hear anything. Don't have more time at the moment but next I will start spraying it down with soap water and have around 60 lbs of pressure and see if I can find it. You would think losing air that fast that it would not be hard to find the leak.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Don't forget to check the valve core.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
The problem with plugging is that you have to find the leak. I put 41 pounds in yesterday afternoon and it is at 0 this morning. I cannot find a thing visually, the stem seems tight, cannot hear anything. Don't have more time at the moment but next I will start spraying it down with soap water and have around 60 lbs of pressure and see if I can find it. You would think losing air that fast that it would not be hard to find the leak.
GliderJohn

A leak in a tire losing a pound a day is easy to find with bubble solution while the tire is on the bike.   41 pounds a day is a LOT of air; you shouldn't have much trouble finding THAT!

Lannis

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
Found it! It appears to be a small nail hole right in the middle of the tire.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
GliderJohn

I just fill up the bathtub when I can't find a leak.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
I just fill up the bathtub when I can't find a leak.

I find that the most effective way is making up a solution of 1 part Dawn dish detergent to 10 parts water, and coat the tire with it.

It'll blow real nice bubbles.   The bathtub's OK too but it's dirty and messy .....

Lannis

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
I have found a place that will do the inside out patch plug repair and I am going that route this time. I have already replaced three, all with less than 1,500 miles on them, gets expensive. Plus this looks like about a repairable type of hole you could get. I will have them thoroughly check it out in case I damaged it running it low. Only have about 1,200 miles on this one.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »
I second the comment about the value of a tire pressure sensor.  I've got one stock on my BMW F800S. 

One day I was riding in far left lane about 75 mph in Dallas traffic, and suddenly the Tire Pressure Warning monitor comes on.  Fortunately I was able to work my way over to the shoulder, and stopped with the tire still having about 30 psi (down from 42 psi).

I had picked up a huge glue injector needle in my rear tire.  It was certainly nice to be warned before the rear has lost so much air that handling was obviously wonky. 

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
What's the clean-up like when changing a tire w/ Ride-On in it?

No real clean up at all, the tps forms a gel-like compound that adheres to the crown of the tire.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Bill Hagan

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

What is it with my Norge? I have rode my T-3 for over 70,000 miles and have only had two punctures. On the way back from JN's funeral I noticed that the bike didn't feel quite right at times. I just chalked it up to the crappy Oklahoma rodes until I started hearing a hum that sounded like truck mud tires. Sure enough the tire was way down on the rear. Was able to put air in and get home at least. It is amazing how well these low profile tires still handle with almost no air pressure.
I have rode my T-3 over 70,000 miles and have had a grand total of two punctures. On my Norge this will will be my fourth in just over 11,000 miles. Three rear and one front. This is getting frustrating. Keep this up and Bill Hagan will lose his status for flats.
GliderJohn

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Never thought that would ever happen!

So am I approaching the Hagan mark at 7 punctures in five years? Most have been on the Norge, but the last was on the BMW one week ago: Pirelli Angel GT rear with less than 200 miles on it.

Jon

Did you buy the bike from Hagan?  His ju-ju might be stuck to it . . .

Funny.  Uhm.  Not, as I still feel the pain, and certainly sympathize with the serial victims.

FWIW, I think I had six flats in under three years; in fact, close to two, including a rare front.  The Ballabio was the flat queen, garnering at least four of those.

I have, however, since had a long (and hopefully continuing) flatless spell.  But those $ad day$ have made me pretty darn good at roadside repairs.  Heck, I have Kathi thinking I am a tire god after fixing the Mini and Fit without calling AAA or the like (useless "club" that is, anyway :angry:).

OTOH, in the unlikely and unlucky event that anyone surpasses my unenvied record, I'll be happy to pass along what Wayne, Muley, and some others gave me at my Atlanta-farewell as the "trophy" to the new title-holder ...  :wink:

Bill

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »
That is one award I do not want to win! Hope I have a dry spell for a long time.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
Plug and patch best way to repair.  Most would say new tire.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here