Author Topic: Need some advice on shipping a bike from Chucks palace in Indiana to So Cal  (Read 5898 times)

father guzzi obrian

Hello,
A while back I bought a nice guzzi from Chuck in Indiana, for numerous reasons, I was never able to get it out to California. Now that Pete has relocated his Mana to another So Cal home, I have room for the Chuck Guzzi. Years ago, when I purchased the Guzzi, Chuck provided me with some shipping info, but my lame ass has lost it.  I need to have a company pick up the bike at Chucks palatial estate and deliver it to a dwelling in Anaheim Hills, CA.  As it will be dropped off at a home without a loading dock, I need a shipper that can accommodate this. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I want to coordinate this with Chuck to pick it up as soon as it is convenient for him, as I now have the room, the money and the time.
(Chuck, thanks for your patience, lets move this sucker to So Cal)
Any input is appreciated <shrug> :wink:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
dunno how how to ship it but I saw nice looking champagne colored Strada 1000 in Chuck's hanger.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Vasco DG

I used uShip a couple of times Jon and had good results. Pinko and the Mana were both uShiped.

pete

father guzzi obrian

That would be my bike, and I desperately want to get it to So Cal before it rots. Chuck has been very kind in storing it for me, I don't know what the storage bill will be but I suspect it will exceed the cost of the bike, however, I have many good parts to send him to placate him on the storage bill.  I just need to find a shipper that can meet him at a time convenient for him to pick up the bike and eventually deliver it to my abode in So Cal.... I am anticipating this bike like no other, it is what I have evolved to.  I had Chucks SP, and I have had an Eldo, an 02 Lemans, an 07 Breva 1100, an 07 Griso 1100, and a few other guzzi's. Now I only have my 02 Cal SS which is wonderful, and I will augment it with Chucks Guzzi and be good for the rest of my riding career...

Wildguzzi.com

father guzzi obrian

I used uShip a couple of times Jon and had good results. Pinko and the Mana were both uShiped.

pete
Thanks Pete, I will look into them, it seemed like they were a broker that used various sources for the actual delivery, but if it works than WTF, I will go for it. 
Cheers my friend
Jon

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
 I sucessfully used Federal and was pleased that the care given to the bike was first rate. Florida to Arizona the bike never left the pallet it was secured to.
  Delivery guy's had a lift gate and put it in the driveway for me. AMA discount, agreed value insurance, professional service. :bike-037:

Paul :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
Haul Bikes, http://haulbikes.com/ , and you can't go wrong.

That's all they do, they're a large company, have the enclosed trucks, carry insurance, and know how to keep your bike in perfect shape. I've used them twice to have bikes delivered to my home, and also had another delivered to a buyer's home in upstate NY. Everything was perfect. I'd use them again tomorrow in a heartbeat.  :thumb:    :thumb:

'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Vasco DG

if you still have them you could send Chuck those bag mounts for a V11 too.

pete

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
I've used Forward Air. They have containers just for motorcycles. Use tie-downs. Excellent service.
https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp
Kirk

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
I just noticed that Haul Bikes is running an "anywhere to anywhere" in the US special for $499.

For a professional, solid company, you can't beat that price.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
I just noticed that Haul Bikes is running an "anywhere to anywhere" in the US special for $499.

I've heard good things about Haul Bikes too.  Special is a good price. The only negative I've heard is you may have to wait awhile.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero

That's a heck of a good deal and the timing couldn't be better. I need to have a 1000SP shipped from California to Michigan. Thanks for the head's-up!
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

father guzzi obrian

if you still have them you could send Chuck those bag mounts for a V11 too.

pete

I'll check in the Pete Roper section, an eclectic collection of munt :grin:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Get on the horn, Jon!! You won't beat that deal.  I'm tired of looking at it. . :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso

This was my recommendation as well...seems like a great company to use...planning on using them in the future as well.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
I have used UShip and my shipment came though on time and without incident.   With that said, I'd be wary.  UShip uses independent contractors to actually do the shipping.  My bike arrived in the back of a very old UHaul panel truck.  Husband and wife team also had a 20' open trailer with half a dozen wrecked bikes on board.  Evidently a lot of their business is moving bikes that have been bought off ebay as salvage.  There was no pallet for my bike, just some straps to keep it from making contact with the variety of scrap in the truck.  This was clearly a low budget operation and I'd be surprised if they could have handled a claim had the bike been damaged. 

Another time I used a shipper who specialized in motorcycle shipping and could do an international shipment (Canada to US).  My Ducati had lunched its engine and was sitting in Edmonton.  The shipper got the wrong bike!  This was caught just before the shipper was ready to cross the boarder.  The ensuing pissing contest between dealer and shipper cost me a couple weeks but the bike finally arrived snugly tucked onto a pallet, sans keys to the bike.  :angry:

Bottom line, get a company you can communicate with and one that has a 'real' corporate identity. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
While we're at it, can someone help me ship the Aero Lario from Chuck's house to mine in New Jersey.

Cam

PS - Don't tell Chuck...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
My Norge is on its way now from Seattle to Greensboro, NC with HaulBikes. This is the second time I have used them. Yes, it takes a few weeks to get across the country but, as already noted, the bike is automatically insured for 15,000. These guys are bike guys. All they do is bikes. They are the contract transporter for Harley so they have trucks constantly criss-crossing the country moving bikes and trikes. Because of this they go everywhere in the country but they also make lots of stops so it takes longer than a straight shot move.

I would use them again without hesitation.
The urge to buy terrorizes!

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
Several members of my local riding group have used these guys and have been very happy.

Rawhide Enterprises
190 Remington Way
Athens, GA 30606
706-206-8606

I tried Wolverine but they flaked on me big time on a pickup leaving me  up a creek, so I'd recommend staying away from them.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
I just got a quote from Haul Bikes for delivering a 1000SP from the San Francisco area to southeast Michigan: $450, door-to-door, including residential pickup and delivery and "fuel surcharge." For reference, that's cheaper than a UShip deal I did in the other direction a couple years ago. I can't imagine you'll find a better rate and Haul Bikes has a good name, fantastic equipment and good insurance. Their summer sale price seems unbeatable.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Just do it, Jon..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here