Author Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace Ride on New V7 Stone  (Read 16877 times)

Dave Bell

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace Ride on New V7 Stone
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 05:11:34 PM »
Quick review of the V7:  My first Guzzi but have wanted one for years after my wife took a shine to a 750 at North Dallas Yuppie BMW city.  On this one, the idle was kind of uneven but got better as the trip progressed.  I covered around 1700 miles, the PO had only put a little over a thousand on it.  I found it very comfy for a stock bike, with a rather flat seat but I was going to cut that strap off until I discovered that it's a decorative detail and not really a strap.  I usually invest in a Mayer seat, but this one may stay stock.  I got this mileage:

which is good in my book.  I burned premium though I really don't usually do that; I just run 87 and if there's no pinging I stick with it.

There is some vibration in the motor at different spots, but it seemed to improve.  I mean, the bike is not really even broken in yet. 

The Hepco bags are a treat.  Especially after a lot of the BMW Krausers i've got in my shop which are generally POS's. 

Overall I love the bike.  I think it's pretty, it runs well and it's fuel efficient.  May even do a Saddle Sore on it.......

Dave Bell

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »
Amen. That's my philosophy.

Mine too.  first tour was on a Honda CB 350.  With an army pack on it.  Plus a 100 pound girl. 

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Congratulations. The white Stone is the most handsome and as you've found, fly & ride is a great way to buy a bike. Enjoyed the story. There's no problem doing distances on the V7. A decent muffler (frees up the mid-range) & some suspension changes & you are set.

Livermush seems to be a variant of what we call scottish style (in a brick) black pudding (made with oats rather than corn), delicious with bacon & eggs & such, a breakfast treat. Health food of nations!

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 05:51:56 PM »
Nice RR, and like the pictures.  I'm in the Shreveport area, so now you know why I play golf mostly unless taking a trip out of here on the bike!  Pretty hot here lately also, especially with all gear.

We don't have to go too far till some nice roads in Arkansas, thank goodness.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 05:51:56 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the travelogue!

As far as I can tell, "Livermush" is the word for "Scrapple" when south of the Virginia/NC line.    Best eaten straight up; I've been eating it all my life, my Mom's ancestors were "Pennsylvania Dutch" Weimers and Klines and that lot invented the stuff.

Scrapple is more in the Headcheese family.. No binder in that stuff, it's set from the callogen that cooks out of all the gristly mystery bits.

Livermush is closer to blood sausage, as it uses grain for a binder.. It's ground liver & onion cooked with cornmeal into a 'mush' and once chilled, it sets up in a loaf.  It's also called Liver Puddin' in some parts & is sold in sausage casing instead of the more common brick.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
Scrapple is more in the Headcheese family.. No binder in that stuff, it's set from the callogen that cooks out of all the gristly mystery bits.

Livermush is closer to blood sausage, as it uses grain for a binder.. It's ground liver & onion cooked with cornmeal into a 'mush' and once chilled, it sets up in a loaf.  It's also called Liver Puddin' in some parts & is sold in sausage casing instead of the more common brick.

Nay, lad, you're thinking of "Souse" in your first example., which IS a headcheese sort of thing.

My grandmother taught me how to make scrapple.  It's just as you describe Livermush.   It starts as a "mush" of equal parts Cornmeal and various parts of the Hog including the Liver (hence the Liver Mush name further south).   It's flavored however you like, usually with salt, pepper, sage, and a little thyme.   The cornmeal holds it together so it can be sliced and fried when cold ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Dave Bell

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
Nay, lad, you're thinking of "Souse" in your first example., which IS a headcheese sort of thing.

My grandmother taught me how to make scrapple.  It's just as you describe Livermush.   It starts as a "mush" of equal parts Cornmeal and various parts of the Hog including the Liver (hence the Liver Mush name further south).   It's flavored however you like, usually with salt, pepper, sage, and a little thyme.   The cornmeal holds it together so it can be sliced and fried when cold ....

Lannis

This item had a definite liver flavor and obviously had a lot of "binder" in it.  It was not the least bit greasy and had a light consistency.  It was crisp and very good.  I was surprised that it was that good and I had never had it before.  We have Head Cheese and I've heard of Scrapple, but it was mostly poor people that ate those things.  Same people ate squirrel, coon, and I heard that they ate possum.  Also ate carp.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
Thanks for the nice travel account of an area that is very familiar to me. 

You made the chore of picking up a bike into an enjoyable event.

Years ago, I bought my '02 Scura in Maryland.  I flew up with all my gear, purchased the bike and had the seller drop my street clothing off to UPS who shipped it home for me.  In the mean time, I launched on a trip from Maryland to home on the Gulf Coast.  It was a great time.

The Natchez Trace is nice but requires a mind shift to taking it slow and easy.  The speed limit is low and strictly patrolled. I hope to run it again some day on my Mighty Falcon.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »
....I was going to cut that strap off until I discovered that it's a decorative detail and not really a strap.
Yes, I got tired of sitting on the "strap", so I got a MG standard height gel saddle, and it is more comfortable, but it gets hot in the sun.  I've since learned that the compatible OEM saddle for the V7 Special is similar to the one for the Stone, but doesn't have a "strap".  Perhaps that would have been a better choice than the gel saddle.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
Super road trip...what fun!  Almost a shame when they come to an end...just have to plan another one! 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
If you love the history of the path you're traveling...DO THE TRACE !

Meet cool people on cool bikes

French Camp (w/4 bed and breakfast cabins) Mile post 180

Not a good walking path around swamp near dusk. My imagination had EVERY log sprouting nostrils..

and, like the BRP, a lonely place in the evening (and low on gas)

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Great write-up and stories, Dave. Love to see the references for the cabins and restaurants--any chance you could write a post with links to 'em?

I've done parts of the Trace, too:

the first time, I was riding back to VA from the AR rally. I'd been there with my friend Bob, but he headed to TX with his brother. I rode some of the original sections (that you're allowed to ride on, of course) in Tennessee on my 2006 Breva 1100:

learned about Merriweather Lewis' weird demise:

In 2012 I rode with a friend from Natchez to just south of Vicksburg, this time on my 8V 2012 Norge:

Again, thanks for the pictures and the stories. It's why we ride (well, why I ride ;) )
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
Yes, I got tired of sitting on the "strap", so I got a MG standard height gel saddle, and it is more comfortable, but it gets hot in the sun.  I've since learned that the compatible OEM saddle for the V7 Special is similar to the one for the Stone, but doesn't have a "strap".  Perhaps that would have been a better choice than the gel saddle.

I keep saying I should still try the gel. So keep me in mind if you decide to sell it.

Fwiw, I got a cafe take off that seems a longtime better than stock that I like. But I still think about trying the gel.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Dave Bell

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
Mt Airey, NC, new cabin, $165

http://wsscabins.com

Log Cabin Motor Court in Asheville:

http://www.theashevillecabins.com

Dave Bell

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
http://www.bavariandining.com  *** 1/2

This is the German Food place in Asheville

https://www.facebook.com/TheBeechwood

Good **** steak in Vicksburg

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 08:04:46 PM »
Thanks, Dave!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:05:17 PM by mojohand »
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Dave Bell

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
I am planning my next trip.  I will go direct to Natchez Ms, avoiding I20 in North Louisiana at all costs, get on the trace, putt to Nashville and visit my war hero nephew and partake in BBQ, Music, and other pleasant things before returning home, again avoiding North Louisiana. 

What are attractions to not miss?

(especially involving music and bbq)?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:38 AM »
I am planning my next trip.  I will go direct to Natchez Ms, avoiding I20 in North Louisiana at all costs, get on the trace, putt to Nashville and visit my war hero nephew and partake in BBQ, Music, and other pleasant things before returning home, again avoiding North Louisiana. 

What are attractions to not miss?

(especially involving music and bbq)?

Go here when you get to Nashville-

Lane Motor Museum

http://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 07:00:14 AM »
http://www.tupeloautomuseum.com/index.php

There is a nice car museum in Tupelo as well.
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
Ah I'll get to the US for a bike trip one day. One day. Lovely writeup Dave, a trip very after my own heart. I took a trip from here in South Devon to Newcastle and back over 5 days via all the back roads - no motorways. It was great...some of the back roads and abandoned main roads of England are truly wonderful...

Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here