Author Topic: 1100 Sport clutch plate alternatives  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Greenman

• Hatchling
1100 Sport clutch plate alternatives
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
I've got an issue with warping clutch plates on my Sport, and when I look at the Steine Dinse website they have 4 alternatives.
Currently I have the surflex plates which I fitted 2 years ago now, but when my bike is hot the clutch drags and will not disengage without having to tighten up the cable, and then when it cools there is no freeplay.
SO.
the SD-TEC is glued and riveted.
The NF type is glued a riveted also, but claims better heat dissipation ( my best choice here I think)
and the AP type follows the design of the NF& SD-TEC.

The NF is most expensive, and since the surflex as given me so much trouble I don't want to use them again.

Has anyone any opinion or experience with the different types?

D
DD
Sport 1100 carb

pete roper

Re: 1100 Sport clutch plate alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
Are you sure it's warped plates? Sounds more like a worn clutch boss or flywheel splines to me.

Pete

Offline Greenman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
changed the boss last time with the plates, and I don't remember it being an issue before I changed the plates.
Also, I put in a new pressure plate as the old one was a bit warped. This was a lucky find on ebay.
DD
Sport 1100 carb

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
I'd go with the SD-TEC plates - I've used them in at least a dozen Guzzis now and they always work very well.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:12:57 AM »
Gidday Dennis, I put the surflex plates into my Sport 3 years ago. At the time I liked the solid metal centre as opposed to the Flexi plate type of centre that has been known to break. Also the friction material was bonded not rivetted. The rivets fell out of the original plates.I have noticed the large difference in free play at the lever. When the bike is cold I have no free play but when it warms up I get 3 or 4mm of play at the lever. The clutch also takes up very early in the throw of the lever but it seems to free off okay. When you say you replaced the pressure plate do you mean the intermediate plate. My intermediate plate was buckled into a concave form so I replaced it. It was actually buckled into dish form by about 6mm. The whole clutch was stuffed but still freed off and did not slip. It just had a weird surging take up as all the broken friction material stacked and unstacked along with bits of rivet.
Cheers, voncrump
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:54 AM »
 Newfren, guess that's NF,look and feel like AP but are not dearer here (Oz), been using them last 25K miles and in a few others, no issues whatsoever, stay same hot/cold.
I don't like feel of Surflex but would use any of others (rivetted and bonded)
But do change int plate at same time, not only for warping but teeth wear too

Offline Greenman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
Gidday Dennis, I put the surflex plates into my Sport 3 years ago. At the time I liked the solid metal centre as opposed to the Flexi plate type of centre that has been known to break. Also the friction material was bonded not rivetted. The rivets fell out of the original plates.I have noticed the large difference in free play at the lever. When the bike is cold I have no free play but when it warms up I get 3 or 4mm of play at the lever. The clutch also takes up very early in the throw of the lever but it seems to free off okay. When you say you replaced the pressure plate do you mean the intermediate plate. My intermediate plate was buckled into a concave form so I replaced it. It was actually buckled into dish form by about 6mm. The whole clutch was stuffed but still freed off and did not slip. It just had a weird surging take up as all the broken friction material stacked and unstacked along with bits of rivet.
Cheers, voncrump

This is exactly what I have, zero free play when cold, huge free play when hot.
Ok, then. Maybe I'll save my money for something else then. I thought that the problem was only mine.
I changed the intermediate plate when I fitted the friction plates. then after a bad experience at the cold kiwi (new site) where I got it real hot crawling into the site and had no clutch at all I replaced the pressure plate. And... a new cable helped too.
I was just a bit worried about the no free play when cold. It doesn't seem right but I've been living with it, and every so often I get the mechanical panic attacks

Onto another thing, are you going to the tattley rappit this year, it's down near Wellington. I've booked the time off work already.
DD
Sport 1100 carb

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here