Author Topic: What bike for a tourer?  (Read 21354 times)

Offline cee2cee

• New Egg
Re: What bike for a tourer?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
Quite few people now tourer on various V-7s so if that is what you want size wise, go for it and check them out. For not much more money you can buy a new Norge although it is a 600# bike but you only know it in parking lots and in garages. Don't sell a Norge short either on burning twisties. The Norge is also just a nicely comfortable ride with a great fairing setup. Any particular reason for not considering the larger bikes?
GliderJohn

I have no doubt that on long trips they are great but around town, stop and go traffic, I just don't think they are as maneuverable plus and this is a big plus I am not getting younger. 

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
It would help if you would define yourself and needs a bit better. Your last post hinted to probably being north of 50 if not well north. What kind of touring do you do? How much urban time? Etc.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 10:11:34 PM »
I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.

I have put over 40,000 long distance touring miles - only since March 2013 - on my 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 (predecessor to the M-G V7 line).  I am 76 and find its 400 lb weight to be a perfect match for my 5' 7" 170 lb frame.  Performance of the little Breva has always been more (way more) than merely adequate.  The ride has always been happy and trouble free.  Always get 55 mpg and better.  Cheep Thrills for sure.

I have a pair of Hepco&Becker soft side bags and a H&B tank bag.  Throwing a large duffel bag across the seat and the two H&B saddle bags is all I've ever wanted or needed for up to two week trips.

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
'Geezer
MOTOGeezer, you have the best name on this forum!

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
MOTOGeezer, you have the best name on this forum!

Kinda looks like a hipster to me , not that there's anything wrong with that  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 11:26:27 PM »
Some of my favorite motorcycle touring memories were on my V7 Classic.  Fun in a way that would not have been experienced on a bigger bike.  And there were some 500 mile days that did not leave me fresh as a daisy, but I would not have traded them for anything. 

But that was fair-weather touring.  If I wanted to be able to blast out serious miles come hell or high water, I would want more weight and protection.  Norge. 
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 12:09:42 AM »
Some of my favorite motorcycle touring memories were on my V7 Classic.  Fun in a way that would not have been experienced on a bigger bike.  And there were some 500 mile days that did not leave me fresh as a daisy, but I would not have traded them for anything. 

But that was fair-weather touring.  If I wanted to be able to blast out serious miles come hell or high water, I would want more weight and protection.  Norge.

For nasty weather when touring I prefer 1 of my maxi-scooters as they give better weather protection, can carry more stuff, and get higher mpg.  :smiley:

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 01:19:53 AM »
  .......  or a 2001-2015 Bonneville.  These two were the earlier 790cc models, and made mince meat of a multi day ride from Cleveland OH to Wyoming and back in 2006.  We're in our late 50s and early 60s when this pix was taken west of Cody, Wy.

Heading back East Both these bikes ran flawlessly the entire trip.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 02:50:08 AM »

See that's the point that I think the "big" bike guys are trying to make.

I remember riding coast-to-coast on my RK, zig zagging back across the country from LA in 5-6 500 mile days, fresh a daisy and eager to get on the bike each morning.

I definitely would not feel that way on my BELOVED V7.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 02:51:40 AM »
  .......  or a 2001-2015 Bonneville.  These two were the earlier 790cc models, and made mince meat of a multi day ride from Cleveland OH to Wyoming and back in 2006.  We're in our late 50s and early 60s when this pix was taken west of Cody, Wy.

Heading back East Both these bikes ran flawlessly the entire trip.
Come to think of it, aren't those Bonnie's sorta a middle weight between the Guzzi smallblocks and CARCS?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 02:56:43 AM »
I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.
Firstly mate , how big are you because that will come into play WHEN you drop it in the grass 'cos the side stand sunk in the soft ground while you hurried into the bushes for a toilet break. Don't buy something that's at the limit of your physical capabilities strength wise, or It'll give you the shits when you're tired and want to stop and remember that if you tour on it properly as you intend, the the conditions in camping parks will very often be less than ideal. If you're a reasonably big guy and rate yourself as fairly skilled, a Triumph Sprint GT or older ST is a good solid choice if you don't HAVE to have a Guzzi. But helping you choose a touring bike is like helping you choose a girlfriend, one thing though, if you "test ride" a tourer, put a shit load of luggage on it and ride the bugger a LONG way, 'cos you won't start to see any drawbacks under 5 hours in the seat, even if the bike is a dog's breakfast. Anyone you ask will probably tell you their bike is good simply because they've done a zillion miles on it and become "bike fit". I'd suggest hanging around or joining a touring club that rides affordable mid size bikes, that way if you mess up and buy a piece of junk, you haven't spent a fortune, but after a while you'll see what the popular choices are. Honda's VFR's are fabulous bikes if you don't mind the personality of a plastic bucket but utter reliability. Just ride as many as you can but as I said, ride each one until you get sore and that'll tell you where it sits in the pecking order. Finally, like most of the guys here I've had a heap of road bikes (40+) and most were Jap sports tourers, but I personally have never had a better mile eater than the Norge. Anyway, that's it for starters from me.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 02:58:56 AM »
Here is another great touring bike I have owned....the BMW R1150RT. 

Lots of Guzzi riders "Poo-Poo" Beemers, but they are excellent touring bikes, period, (IMHO).   :cool:

I have owned and two airheads and two oil-head Beemers and have logged >100,000 on these twins.  I would not hesitate to own another...

And that's a particularly nice choice .

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
KevM, the 2001-era Bonnies were heavier bikes than the V7s, and 'may' have been slightly larger.  Like some of the V7 models, the suspension was budget bin stuff, and for a 160 pound rider, transmitted a lot of kickback from bumps.  I changed to Progressive 440 shocks with correct springing, and played with  fork oil wt and level, plus different springs and had a pretty nice ride for day trips and didn't hesitate to set out on a much longer ride periodically.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
Virtually any bike can be a good touring machine, if it fits the rider.  These days we seem to succumb to the bigger is better philosophy.  In my opinion ergonomics is the most important area to consider when touring.  If the bike is big enough to carry the gear you need, then I would focus my attention on how comfortable the bike is and how it "fits" the rider.  Things like bar and footpegs relationship and most importantly, the saddle and wind protection/quiet.  When I have toured over the years, the limiting factors were things like seat comfort, wind noise and cold, it was never the size of the bike.  Buy the best gear you can, my uncle always said to me, "Poor people can't afford to buy cheap stuff".  He was right.  My .02
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »
In 40 years of ridding distance touring rides I can tell you from experience, weight is your friend, luggage is your Pal and wind protection is your Best Gal! That being said the Calvin is a good bar hopper as well as long distance ride. 3-400 mile days can be ridden comfortably if you have average stamina and the weight is heavy enough to ride smooth but not to heavy to pick up by yourself if you drop her. Your money though, good luck with your choice.

I like your quote!! :thumb: :cool: :1:  When it comes to REALLY long trips...and riding two-up...this is what I take!!    :shocked:

Moby Dick - aka "The Great White Whale!!"  At 871 pounds, it is a cruise-machine on the open highway!!

upload image online

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
To me, "Touring" is NOT droning on endlessly on the highway (that's what a car is for).
 It's more about the ride, not the destination.  So the V7 is very adequate for that. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »
The first longish trip I took was on my 1974 Yamaha RD-200 Electric. It was a weekend trip...252 miles each way. I wasn't able to pack much and I limited my speed to 55-60, but that bike did great. It initiated a love of touring that I enjoy still.

Imagine my incredulity when a fellow asked me the following question when I was 2500 miles away from home on my California Vintage: "Is an 1100 big enough for travel?"

The only limit you have on what sort of bike you wish to travel on is the weight of you and your luggage. There are many examples of enthusiasts riding incredible distances on Honda Trail 90s! Be smart with your planning and your V7 will make a dandy tourer.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
As a matter of fact, I have more respect for those that travel far on a smaller displacement bike than a larger 2-wheeled convertible "car" - anyone can do that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:56:17 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »
I've "toured", or more appropriately "traveled" on motorcycles since the early 1980's. Always a slant towards the sport touring end of the scale. Started out on a KZ550, then a V45, which set my tone as what I considered best. Ben through many trips and bikes over the years, and can honestly say on every trip there was a time I wished I was on a different type of bike. Times on twisties where a lighter bike was wished for and times on a windy cold highway I was wishing for a Wing. 

I think Kevm is right in his list of variables that you need to consider (your size, how much luggage, weather, anticipated mileage, type of roads and speeds, how often you like to stop, and your mechanical skills, to name a few).  There is a big difference riding in the Eastern U.S. than the West or crossing the Plain states.

The last half dozen years the wife and I have made a couple multiple thousand mile trips each year with her on a Breva 750 and Honda CB500X and me on a 1200 Sport, Stelvio, R100GS, and FJR.  I also did a 500 mile trip 5 years ago on a 2001 SV 650, kitted out with a F15 Sport windshield, throttle lock, magnetic tank bag, Air Hawk, and a large dry back strapped to the back seat.  Today if I'm traveling, I usually opt for the FJR, as it seems to be the best compromise, with the GS right behind as a second choice.  That said, living in the middle of Oklahoma usually means hours of high speed interstates to get to where back road touring takes over.  My Wife's preferred ride is the little CB500X, but she wishes it had more power for passing sometimes.  She has been looking at FJ09's, and wishing the FJ07 would come to the states!

Lots of options out there to pick from, realizing any bike will be a compromise at any given time.  Good luck.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
I've done long multi-day road trips on my V7. But those kinds of trips are a hell of lot more enjoyable on my R1200R. It's maybe 50 kgs heavier but doesn't feel like it, has more than twice the power, and is a lot smoother, especially at higher speeds. And for the thrifty, gas mileage is near enough to the same between the two as to not make a difference. I'm done with the behemoth land-yachts; I don't need the 'protection from the elements'. And for two-up, it's no contest, the BMW wins hands-down.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
As others have said, you can tour on any bike.  It's HOW you want to tour that you have to consider.

500 mile days are practical, even on this (I've done many of them), but it's not for the super-slab.

Nick

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
Yup, you can tour on any bike. I know a guy that tours regularly on a V7 or Griso (he seems to swap out between the two - same trips using either one). All he carries for luggage is a medium dry bag, lightly filled. I have no idea how he does it and he was 83 this summer.

Stock seats, no windscreen. Amazing.

I've "toured" on my Griso, CB1100 and the Quota. For long rides I'm starting to prefer the pickup.  :evil: Long boring stretches and crazy drivers are pushing me there.

But as stated very well else where, get a bike that fits you, something that is easy to live with for the rides you intend to do (my CB is much better in the twisty bits and in town but the Griso motor is much easier to live with on the open road -  that said I keep thinking about a very long ride on my 650L). Considering what I  used to tour on back in the day, there are a bunch of very capable machines to choose from. I see the attraction of the big cruisers and I'm seduced by them to a certain degree but oh man, the weight. If you need the weight, take the truck and haul a nice little tourist bike in back for using once you get to where you want to go.  :rolleyes:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

GuzziJim6

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »
Buy a Norge 1200. You can't beat it for the price. You can find a new 14 or 15 leftover for 13k or so. Ive been riding Guzzi's for 41 years and wouldn't have anything else. Jim

Offline SmokinJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
  I can only ride about 22k a year now with the health and finances issue. On trips I stop every 600 to 700 mile average unless visiting a site of interest so no iron butt by a long shot.
  The most important factor is your day in day out no matter what the weather or road conditions  COMFORT. If you can get there [wherever that is] still able to keep going then you'll have more fun.
  Short trips or two up its my  2004 ev cal which is right at the weight I can handle. Long trips solo, KLR. I have to get to an event able to compete with younger, faster, & less crippled opponents in the shooting matches as it's very satisfying to beat them on the occasions I still can.
  Firing ranges are usually on unpaved rough roads. Gas stations out west are farther than expected sometimes and your mileage varies a lot in constant 30 mph cross winds. Have a big enough tank or carry extra fuel. But.. Extra fuel, extra anything adds weight you'll have to deal with.
   Touring on a motorcycle is it's own reward. You work it out in stages to suit yourself.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »
I've hauled sport bikes to the twisties many times and still do occasionally, but I really like to tour on a motorcycle. Touring defined as doing a big loop somewhere for a week or so, riding around 400 miles a day on back highways, stopping at cool destinations to explore each night. Usually we take short breaks every 75 to 100 miles. See Daniel K's trip reports, kinda like that without his photography skills and geography knowledge part.

It can be done on almost any kind of bike, it's just what you expect from your bike and what compromises you want to make.  I think the Wee-Strom is a great all around tourer, if a (heavy) full size adventure tourer is too much. The CB500x is really good also but down on power and payload a bit (the Little CB burns regular gas and has good range, which has been important for us). 
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
That little CB500X has me looking hard at her. Several folks have bought them and have nothing but good to say. Rather cheap too.  :laugh: And gets very good gas mileage (if mileage is not that good I may as well drive) and there are kits to buy to make it a passable rough/off roader.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »
The first longish trip I took was on my 1974 Yamaha RD-200 Electric. It was a weekend trip...252 miles each way. I wasn't able to pack much and I limited my speed to 55-60, but that bike did great. It initiated a love of touring that I enjoy still.

Imagine my incredulity when a fellow asked me the following question when I was 2500 miles away from home on my California Vintage: "Is an 1100 big enough for travel?"

The only limit you have on what sort of bike you wish to travel on is the weight of you and your luggage. There are many examples of enthusiasts riding incredible distances on Honda Trail 90s! Be smart with your planning and your V7 will make a dandy tourer.

A V7 is bigger than the `70's 650 Triumphs which back then used to be considered big bikes.   I know this by comparing my 750 Breva to a late `70s 650 Bonny at a breakfast some years ago a fellow Guzzisti rode.  I was curious to compare them size wise and shocked my Breva was actually a little bigger.   So size is relative.   Both bikes had about the same 48 hp & weight too. Both the Bonny & my Breva will do the Ton.  :smiley:

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
I travel one-up and don't do camping.
I pack everything I need for a long multi-day trip in a duffel bag and strap that on the small luggage rack (Hepco & Becker) on the Griso.

With other requirements, it would have to be a different set-up.
Find a bike that's comfortable for you and has adequate power. It can be equipped for touring!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
I travel one-up and don't do camping.
I pack everything I need for a long multi-day trip in a duffel bag and strap that on the small luggage rack (Hepco & Becker) on the Griso.

With other requirements, it would have to be a different set-up.
Find a bike that's comfortable for you and has adequate power. It can be equipped for touring!

The wife and I have toured on our 750 Breva 2up with 40L HB bags and a top case while moteling all the way.  We weighed 340# together.  It was a bit tight but we still put in 500 mile days.  The stock Breva seat is very comfortable, unlike the newer V7 seats.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here