Author Topic: A stash of E0  (Read 3832 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: A stash of E0
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
Plug readings and experience. With racecars running straight alk jetting was always richer. We would urn almost 3x fuel with alk. So rich it would get past the rigs and fill the oil sump and needed draining every night.

We are discussing pump gas not straight methanol used for racing...E10 is 10 percent ethanol not 100 percent...The difference in energy content is about 4 percent between E10 and E0.There are other factors like specific gravity and additives that may have an effect...From actual experience about one main jet size and on some ,but not all.. the part throttle and idle mixture may need slight changes...

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
We've had ethanol in gas here since '06. It ate up the fibreglass gas tanks in my boat. I replaced them with polyethylene tanks. I had to take the top end of the motor (350 chevy) apart to clean the gook out of the heads and intake manifold. Have not experienced any issues with any other gas powered machines.
No EO fuel around here to my knowledge, except for the Sunoco station in Preston that sells 102 octane racing fuel...
Larry

E10 gas started to eat my Norton Fiberglass tank. The factory originals (mine) were made of epoxy resin and held up well but I noticed paint was chipping off (fine pin head chips) that followed the bottom seam of my Fastback tank. I have since sealed the tank with no further problems. Friends who have repro tanks had major problems with the resin clogging the carbs. The aftermarket tanks use polyester resin with the fiberglass.

Good tank sealer:

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Pete

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
We are discussing pump gas not straight methanol used for racing...E10 is 10 percent ethanol not 100 percent...The difference in energy content is about 4 percent between E10 and E0.There are other factors like specific gravity and additives that may have an effect...From actual experience about one main jet size and on some ,but not all.. the part throttle and idle mixture may need slight changes...

Rough, did you actually do dyno runs to compare the two fuels?
In theory E10 should only reduce energy content by 1%. Ethanol has 10% less energy than gasoline. 10% of 10% is 1%.

Pete

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »

Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on July 14, 2018, 11:45:24 AM
:thumb: My Convert actually runs
worse and gas mileage drops when I run E0.

Did you rejet for E10? If so you went  richer because alcohol is ann oxygenate which leans the mixture. Put in E0 and now you are really rich.

No, stock jetting with the needle raised one notch.

I had the same experience on my '77 Yamaha XT500 with stock jetting - while it had noticeably better throttle response just off idle, the rest seemed "flat" and gas mileage dropped off slightly.

E10 may not be a full 10% - the sign on the pump does read: "May contain up to 10% Ethanol.  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:37:55 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
Rough, the alk content is different but the principle is the same. Less energy content so you need more fuel for the same output.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:01 PM »
Rough, the alk content is different but the principle is the same. Less energy content so you need more fuel for the same output.
  Yes, but the difference is only 4 percent,That's about one main jet size .The difference in ambient temperature from 40 F to 70 F has more influence on engine fuel needs. I run carburetor well tuned bikes on both E0 and E10...I can not feel any difference in performance....I don't like E10 but it does the job...

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
True but the fact remains alk has 33% less energy content than gasoline. No matter the amount to compensate you must add fuel.
Flex fuel engines do just that.
Remember when na$car went to E15 and injection? Many teams regularly burned up engines. They ran them too lean and they pretty much shut off fuel deivery when entering turns. They had to richen up the mapping and the problem was solved.

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »
Here is a video that explains some of what happens with ethanol in gasoline, and what you can do about it.
http://www.starbrite.com/videos/start-tron-videos-en
Select "Enzyme Fuel Treatment"

Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here