Author Topic: Screwed  (Read 613 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Screwed
« on: September 18, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »
I am screwed literally. New brakes all the way around on my Mille. I cannot get either of the very small screws that hold the cover on the front right MC loose. I tried it with screws grabber gel and an Impact driver.  Took it off the bike had it secured in a vise with a 2x4 under the MC holding from the bottom. Cannot get them to loosen.  I took apart my impact driver and greased it but is still wasn't turning CC unless I really hit it hard. CW was working better.  I wasn't willing to hit it that hard.
But I still was getting good gripe with the bit and gripper gel and twisting it by hand. 
 I am looking at drilling the counter sunk screw heads off as a last resort.
Ah this one could be expensive. Anybody?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Screwed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 06:12:48 PM »
Must not have been off in a long time. I had same thing on customers bike. I drilled heads off, took off cover & soaked screws in Blaster. Then they came out w/vicegrips.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »
Must not have been off in a long time.

Ya way too long/my fault. Thanks. I believe soaking after I take the heads off is probably important

Red 90 Mille GT

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »
I've had to drill the heads off countersunk screws before and use penetrating oil, heat, and vise grips to remove the remains.  Not on a m/cyl, though.
1990 MilleGT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 08:44:50 PM »
How much is a new MC?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 09:11:02 PM »
How much is a new MC?

Haven't found one yet but probably $130>?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 09:38:10 AM »
I had this problem on another bike. Bought an impact screwdriver from Harbor Freight. The machining on that driver was awful. Not much twisting force resulted from hitting it with a hammer. I dismantled it, filed rough edges off of the spiral slots, burnished the pin that rides in the slots with sandpaper. Greased the internals. Soaked the screws with Kroil penetrating oil for days. Watched maybe 3 or 4 youtube videos on how to remove stuck mc screws. Then it worked. Key things are:

Make sure your impact driver works well

Take the right driver tip, put it into the slots in the screw heads and tap it in to the screw head with a hammer so it bites in there well.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
I had this problem on another bike. Bought an impact screwdriver from Harbor Freight. The machining on that driver was awful. Not much twisting force resulted from hitting it with a hammer. I dismantled it, filed rough edges off of the spiral slots, burnished the pin that rides in the slots with sandpaper. Greased the internals. Soaked the screws with Kroil penetrating oil for days. Watched maybe 3 or 4 youtube videos on how to remove stuck mc screws. Then it worked. Key things are:

Make sure your impact driver works well

Take the right driver tip, put it into the slots in the screw heads and tap it in to the screw head with a hammer so it bites in there well.

Like I said I took mine apart and greased it. I couldn't see where the machining was bad. CW worked just fine and CC didn't twist until it got to then very end. That would have been fine if I had something big to hit.  I just finally drilled it out this AM. Ha the screws were not even stuck. I just turned took then right out:  so all my tension seemed to be in the countersunk head of the screws.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 04:52:00 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 12:29:39 PM »
Drilled the heads off dozens of times.
Piece of cake.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:30:38 PM by Huzo »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »
"Ha the screws were not even stuck. I just turned took then right out:  so all my tension seemed to be in the countersunk head of the screws. "

Damned lucky, you were.   :thumb:
1990 MilleGT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here