Author Topic: Sturgis, SD Black Hills Classic  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
Sturgis, SD Black Hills Classic
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »
My Father and I will be leaving for Sturgis, SD in the morning.  Anyone else going?   :bike-037:
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Sturgis, SD Black Hills Classic
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:57 AM »
More than 200 riders in one place makes me nervous, particularly when it's the 75th anniversary event. I will be much more comfortable watching from a distance  :popcorn:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:10 AM »
No , but kinda wish I was . Where are you staying ?

Dusty

We have reservations in Custer, SD
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »
Here is a picture of my Dad the first time he went to Sturgis in '72.  This will be my first time there and I'll be riding the same bike.  How cool is that?
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »
Pretty damn cool actually!
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
...not a Sturgis guy, however, your riding the same bike and he is going......

THAT IS COOL
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
Great Deal Farmer Dan, LTNS

Custer is beautiful place.  It's two hours of gorgeous road up to Sturgis and 90% of what you want to see are on the way. Custer has it's own bike Rally and the State Park is fantastic, just don't roller skate in the buffalo herd. 

I wish I was heading there too. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »
My Father and I will be leaving for Sturgis, SD in the morning.  Anyone else going?   :bike-037:

My feelings about Sturgis aside, anything that you can do with your Dad that you both enjoy is (by definition) cool!    Lost my Dad 48 years ago ... wish I still had him.   You enjoy this trip!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
Farmer Dan: I've just got to ask.....Did your father wear the necktie and those clothes while on the road to, or in, Sturgis? 
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
The bike was wearing HD side bags, so the shirt and tie were optional.

I have gone to Sturgis many times during the event.  I pull off on the overpass, put a foot down, and I was there.  Then I get back on the road and go somewhere interesting.

nunzio

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »
Here is a picture of my Dad the first time he went to Sturgis in '72.  This will be my first time there and I'll be riding the same bike.  How cool is that?

WAY COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
Last time I rode to Sturgis I was on a 1972 Eldo...rode up with a few friends on HD's...after riding across SD at a good clip one of the guys asked me to slow down as he was afraid his HD was gonna blow up  :grin:

I always tell people to visit the area the week before the Rally...most venders are there and not as crowded...plus the locals arn't sick of the whole thing at that point...

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »
 :thumb:  spending tbe night in Rochester, MN the off to Wall, SD in the morning.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

nunzio

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:06 AM »
:thumb:  spending tbe night in Rochester, MN the off to Wall, SD in the morning.

What is your dad riding to Sturgis this year??

WHERE are the Pictures of you and your dad???????

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:57 AM »
We had an excellent time in South Dakota.  Rode most of the scenic roads, needles highway and iron mountain road.  Rode through Deadwood and Sturgis but was so crowded we didn't stop.  Bad news is my computer died so I can't post any pictures.  Typing on this tablet ain't all that much fun either LOL.  Love the looks I got from them HD guys when I passed them going up a mountain road.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
We had an excellent time in South Dakota.  Rode most of the scenic roads, needles highway and iron mountain road.  Rode through Deadwood and Sturgis but was so crowded we didn't stop.  Bad news is my computer died so I can't post any pictures.  Typing on this tablet ain't all that much fun either LOL.  Love the looks I got from them HD guys when I passed them going up a mountain road.

:thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
GASP  :shocked: You managed to have fun despite all of the comments here stating that attending the Black Hills Classic would mean certain death and destruction  :huh None of those BA HD riders threatened to beat you up or steal your wallet ? Hell , now you're gonna tell us the locals were friendly, and the weather was nice . SHEESH  :evil:

Seriously , glad the two of you had fun  :thumb: :bike-037:

Dusty

I suspect the fact that "he didn't stop" was the reason they had fun.   If you don't stop, it's kind of hard to get beat up by BA HD riders or pierced by maniacal tattoo artists.

Come to think of it, I didn't stop in Sturgis this weekend either, and I had fun too!   So I see a trend developing ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
I suspect the fact that "he didn't stop" was the reason they had fun.   If you don't stop, it's kind of hard to get beat up by BA HD riders or pierced by maniacal tattoo artists.

Come to think of it, I didn't stop in Sturgis this weekend either, and I had fun too!   So I see a trend developing ....

Lannis

Just gotta rain on Dan's fun parade huh  :tongue: He only said they didn't stop in Deadwood or Sturgis , not that they didn't stop nearby .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Just gotta rain on Dan's fun parade huh  :tongue: He only said they didn't stop in Deadwood or Sturgis , not that they didn't stop nearby .

Dusty

"Raining on a fun parade" ... is that like "peeing in someone's Cheerios?".     Yes, I suppose I do it sometimes.     Gets a little boring, always having to say:

"Oh, what a beautiful chopper".

"I love what you've done with that extended swingarm".

"I've always wanted to spend a weekend on the south side of Chicago projects, I'm sure you had a good time".

"It's a small world after all."

.... so I'm used to the "Why can't we all live together?" response.   

Meantime, I'll stand by my earlier opinion that "Doing something like this with your father is priceless.   Enjoy!"

And it sounds like they did!!    You can't get these memories any other way!

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
 Yep , sounds like they had a good time ,  and actually , one of my service buddies was from the projects , not Chicago , but Detroit . Went home with him once , his mom was a fantastic cook , his dad fixed my 1954 Chevy , had a great time . Dunno . Usually just wag my tail and grin , seems to work .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
Yep , sounds like they had a good time ,  and actually , one of my service buddies was from the projects , not Chicago , but Detroit . Went home with him once , his mom was a fantastic cook , his dad fixed my 1954 Chevy , had a great time . Dunno . Usually just wag my tail and grin , seems to work .

Dusty

Hey, you can spend a couple days walking around the Marcy Projects in Bedford-Stuy, wagging your tail and grinning, if that's a big weekend for you.   Be sure you take a GoPro, we need pics ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 04:21:19 PM »
Hey, you can spend a couple days walking around the Marcy Projects in Bedford-Stuy, wagging your tail and grinning, if that's a big weekend for you.   Be sure you take a GoPro, we need pics ....

Lannis

After thinking on this for a bit , pondering , trying to see this from both sides , even discussing the matter with my dog , (don't laugh , he is quite intelligent , speaks 3 languages) , I simply cannot make the connection between Bed Stuy and Sturgis  :huh: Unless both are places that you have never visited and are basing any opinions of them on not having done so . I'll bet you think Oklahoma is covered in teepees and we all have oil wells in our back yards also  :rolleyes: Tom Joad wasn't even from the dustbowl , and Will Rogers was right .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
Gezus Landis

:shocked:
John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »

After thinking on this for a bit , pondering , trying to see this from both sides , even discussing the matter with my dog , (don't laugh , he is quite intelligent , speaks 3 languages) , I simply cannot make the connection between Bed Stuy and Sturgis  :huh: Unless both are places that you have never visited and are basing any opinions of them on not having done so . I'll bet you think Oklahoma is covered in teepees and we all have oil wells in our back yards also  :rolleyes: Tom Joad wasn't even from the dustbowl , and Will Rogers was right .

Dusty

Hey, don't look at me.   You were the one who put "visiting the housing projects" and "grinning and wagging your tail" in the same context.    It just sort of came up with a funny image, that's all.   

"I'll bet you think .... ".    Now you know that's sort of stupid, about teepees.    I do know a lot of people in Ohio that have little oil wells in their back yards.    Small pumps, nodding all day and all night, pumping about 50 gallons a day - a truck comes around weekly and picks it up, they make a couple hundred a month from it.

Lannis

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
GASP  :shocked: You managed to have fun despite all of the comments here stating that attending the Black Hills Classic would mean certain death and destruction :huh: None of those BA HD riders threatened to beat you up or steal your wallet ? Hell , now you're gonna tell us the locals were friendly, and the weather was nice . SHEESH  :evil:

Seriously , glad the two of you had fun  :thumb: :bike-037:

Dusty

Unfortunately, the size of this year's well-attended anniversary event has also meant that there was a record amount of death and destruction, more than in any year since the 50th anniversary event. As I mentioned earlier, any event of this size is not going to involve me! For details, see http://www.kotatv.com/sturgis-motorcycle-rally/Sturgis-Rally-ends-as-one-of-the-biggest-and-deadliest/34621534

Oklahoma was covered with teepees - mostly as kitchy motels along Rt 66  :tongue:. You do all have oil wells in your backyards, but the rights were sold off generations ago  :cry: ! The worst of the dustbowl was in the panhandle, but the farm collapse covered the whole of the prairies :sad:. And yes, Will Rogers was right - but there's a lot of people he never met!  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
A smile always works for me.  I'll leave the tail wagging to others.

Seriously guys why all the grief about Sturgis.  If it's not your cup of tea
don't go. 

BTW We all ride horses, tend cattle carry six guns and have oil wells in our backyards also.

NAR in Wyoming sound like fun.  Would love to get out of the heat.

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:00:56 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
A smile always works for me.  I'll leave the tail wagging to others.

Seriously guys why all the grief about Sturgis.  If it's not your cup of tea
don't go. 

But that's exactly what we're doing.   It's not our cup of tea and we're not going.    No problem!!

Now if your Dad wants to go like he did 43 years ago, and he wants you to go with him, well, that's a kettle of red herrings of a different color ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
 First off , Ohio is in the upper midwest , Oklahoma is out here in the Southwest , guess they didn't teach geography in Virginia public schools  :evil: :grin: 

Second , yes the farm collapse did harm all of the farm states , but Tom Joad's problems stemmed from criminal activities . His family lived in the Sallisaw area , always a tough place to farm .

Third , according to Will Rogers JR , his dad disliked plenty of men , after getting to know them . His famous statement only applied to the first meeting  :grin: 

Oh , some of the RT 66 Teepees are still there , mostly rented out by the hour for , er , well , elicit
activities  :police:

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here