Author Topic: Help Needed: Sport 1100 u-joint greasing tips  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Help Needed: Sport 1100 u-joint greasing tips
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
You said you have the manual, so presumably you have seen this picture:

This is exactly how I do it every time I change tires.  About 115,000 miles on the original U-joints and they still feel like new.  The picture shows a flex hose, which is essential to make things work.  I have a small one hand grease gun, and got a foot long hose hanging on the shelf next to the grease gun in the auto store.  I put the hose in series with the 3" long straight pipe that came on the gun, unscrew pipe, screw on hose, and screw pipe back on end of hose.  That would be the only difference between my setup and the picture, the 3" straight pipe on the coupler provides a bit more of a handle to push the coupler on the fitting.  The coupler easily fits through the swingarm "porthole" and snaps on the fitting just like it is supposed to.

As always, your motorcycle may vary.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
AND if no one has mentioned it, there is a bearing in rear drive under the axle nut & washer, the bearing often gets over looked and has no zert. You have to take it out & clean, regrease, install.  It's a small needle bearing type. Don't loose any.
The drive pivots on this bearing, it's important.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
AND if no one has mentioned it, there is a bearing in rear drive under the axle nut & washer, the bearing often gets over looked and has no zert. You have to take it out & clean, regrease, install.  It's a small needle bearing type. Don't loose any.
The drive pivots on this bearing, it's important.

On mine, those rollers are in a cage.  If you can lose any (as in the rollers are falling out of the cage) you need to lose the whole thing and get a new one.  Any time you can see this bearing, grease it!

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Ok, I'm back. Here is my rig for greasing the V11 sport.
2018-07-13_09-51-46 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Thanks Chuck! crafting one of those is within my skill set. i'll hack one together before the next grease call.  Thanks too to Patrick Hayes for the generous offer of his time and his grease gun fittings kit.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
After greasing the drive shaft and putting the photos on here I took the bike for a ride.
I took a photo of the bike on a bridge in the Pohangina Valley.
When I looked at the photo I noticed the grease had sprayed up onto the right side muffler.
I said in my earlier post this was messy.

Before ride

After 100 km

Some cleaning to do. The grease must have been thrown onto the muffler and sort of spread with the heat and wind.
Cheers, voncrump.
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here