Author Topic: 2006 Breva rebuild - *May 8 Update*  (Read 14123 times)

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
2006 Breva rebuild - *May 8 Update*
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been quietly enjoying the forum and learning from other members for a few years now.  For this, I say thank you. 

I now feel I have something of interest to share with the community.  This is going to be an ongoing post which I will try to update each month, depending on progress.

A bit about me...

I currently live in Houston Texas.  Since arriving here I've been supported by the team at MPH Cycles.  I'm also very lucky to have MPH maintain my car. 

I did ride years ago, but have only been riding seriously since 2011 when I purchased a used V7 Classic from MPH.  I guess you could say I'm an old(er) new rider.  I ride to/from work and you can usually see me riding around town on the weekends.  There is nothing better than rolling up to a parking spot that can only be accessed by a motorcycle when shopping for groceries or running other errands.

I'm very happy with the V7.  I looked at many bikes when shopping and it was the one that ticked the most boxes.  I wanted a light, easy to ride bike with classic styling. 

Equally important I wanted to work with a shop that had a positive attitude to maintenance and sharing knowledge.  I don't know a lot about mechanics (I can change oil, check fluids, tire tread and change batteries.  I also have a good idea of when one should turn the engine OFF and seek professional assistance) but I want to continue to learn about all aspects of motorcycles.  MPH have been fantastic.  They are a big reason why I'm enjoying riding so much.

A bit about the project...

After having the V7 for a few years, I was interested in making longer road trips.  I also made the mistake of taking a Breva 1100 for a test ride.  The shocks on the V7 were upgraded to Ikons but man - the Breva 1100 was smooth; Highway miles melted away. I let the first opportunity pass by (a used grey B1100) but a year later a red B1100 came up for sale.  The price was right so I bought it.  50k miles.  Just broken in. 

April of last year I rode up to the Handbuilt Motorcycle show in Austin Texas.  It was an amazing weekend spent enjoying Austin (I visit often) and seeing what custom builders can accomplish in personalizing a motorcycle. 

For me a bike is a bit more than a vehicle.  I like classic styling and I highly value comfort and utility.  I like to look at, but do not want to own, what some have called "showroom bikes" - nice to look at but not practical on a daily basis.  I decided to customize the B1100 to change the style of the bike.  Necessary? No.  Desirable? Yes - at least to me.

The objectives of the build were as follows:

>Long range comfort/function
>Retain luggage capability
>Seated more 'on' than 'in' the bike
>Clean look
>Removal of plastic
>Transformed to neo-classic look
>Factory reliability
>No engine/emissions changes
>No modification to electrical system, all wiring protected 

All I needed at this point was to find a builder. 

The next installment will discuss my search for the builder and the beginning of the project.

=July 2016=

The first builder I considered, but quickly discounted was... Me.  I discounted this for a few reasons.  For one, I can do some mechanical basics, but I don't have any experience outside of basic car maintenance (very basic) and I've never worked on a motorcycle.  Add to that I don't have a garage and I own very few tools.

Another consideration was that my typical work day is 12+ hours with many days running longer.

The second option I seriously considered was a builder outside the city I live in.  I was very close to following up this option, but I wanted someone closer to home.  The builder outside of Houston had an excellent reputation and guzzi experience.  On a side note, I did not find anyone who had done something similar with a Breva.

The option I ended up going with was a builder here in Houston.  The builder is http://www.scalesstudio.com/

Trever Scales was just in the process of setting up his shop.  He was recommended by another business and I liked the quality of the work I had seen.  He had not worked on a guzzi before, but then again, nobody else seemed to have worked on a Breva for this type of build. 

Trever and I met and in July I dropped the bike off.  Over the next few weeks, we discussed options for the build.  I set an initial budget of $4k to get started (excluding repair work and parts)

Over the next few weeks the plastic was taken off and the bike laid bare.  I wanted a more classically styled tank for the bike, but nothing I researched seemed to fit.  It looked like all of the off the shelf options was built for either specific bikes (that were not close enough to the Breva) or for a 'Toni' frame. 

"There are a lot of ideas floating around my head as to how to go about building the bike. The one thing that set this bike apart is how far up the air box protrudes the frame. This greatly limits other stock tank options. Building a custom tank around this wont be a problem. - Trever Scales"

At a high level, the plan was to cut the frame, narrow the back end, build a custom tank and side covers.  I wanted to keep the panniers on an functional as the bike would be of little use (to me) without luggage. 

=October 2016=

The first work was done and invoiced.  The plastic was off and the frame was cut for the modification.  The cost so far was $450.  The stripping of the bike actually happened at the end of July, but the first cut of the frame came later.

free url hosting

I can't seem to find that first picture of the cut frame, but over the month of October work was being done to reshape the back end.  The idea was to use a spare v7 classic seat I had handy.  During the month of October I was traveling for work.  The first week of November I had the following update...

upload pics to internet

For reference, Trever included the following picture...

Just a reminder; this is the end result, with a few modifications, that I am chasing:

More updates to come....

December 2016

All of the required parts were decided and a plan for completion agreed. Between October and December some mechanical issues were found and repaired.  The best way to summarize would be to share the parts list and costs.  Note that the parts are marked up as they were ordered by the shop and not directly by myself.

One of the issues we agreed on was space for the custom fuel tank.  To allow for more fuel I suggested we install the Guzzitech air box kit to free up some room.  The flash kit took some additional time to arrive.

===Labor===
Remove gas tank, rear seat, front fender, handle bars and wind screen. Replace pedestal handle bars and replace with regular style handle bars. Install handle bar risers.         
3h         $85.00     $255.00
Remove rear cowling, tail light, under tail cover, battery box and electrical underneath seat.         
1.5h      $85.00     $127.50
Cut off rear half of frame to accommodate Moto Guzzi V7 seat.         
0.75h    $85.00       $63.75
Fabricate part of rear hoop, cut off seat release mechanism         
3h       $85.00       $255.00
Finish fabricating hoop, weld together and dress welds         
6h       $85.00       $510.00
Fabricate and weld the step up for seat latch         
2h       $85.00       $170.00
Fabricate uptubes from frame to hoop, tigweld and dress welds         
6h      $85.00       $510.00
Remove exhaust. Fabricate and tigweld battery box, dress welds          
4.25h   $85.00      $361.25
Fabricate and tigweld relay holders to battery box. Remove airbox to tuck wiring harness inside of frame. Remove inner spark plugs. Tigweld front seat mount into place. Fabricate bracket to mount seat release mechanism.          
7h    $85.00   $595.00
Fabricate wooden buck for gas tank. Fabricate outer skin of gas tank out of aluminium.         
10.5h  $85.00   $892.50
Fabricate license plate bracket and license plate light. Partially fabrication of front fender mount         
5h   $85.00   $425.00

===Parts===
Part - Ceramic coat exhaust in gold         
1   $300.00   $300.00
Part - Carbon fiber front fender         
1   $280.00   $280.00
Part - NGK Platinum Spark plugs         
2   $21.00   $42.00
Part - Airbox Elimination panel. Reusable air filter. Computer flashing setup.         
1   $920.00   $920.00
Part - BMW R-Nine-T Fairing with tall windscreen          
1   $930.00   $930.00
Part - JW LED Headlight         
1   $390.90   $390.90
Part - Ducati Sport Classic slim taillight         
1   $371.20   $371.20
Part - Factory Exhaust gaskets, valve cover gasket, fuel line, O2 sensor, rear brakepads          
1   $346.25   $346.25
Part - Metal materials. 1" tubing to build hoop. 5/8s tubing to build fender mount. 1/8" plate to build license plate bracket.          1   $35.00   $35.00
Consumables - Wearables. Grinding disk, Cutoff wheels, sand paper, welding material.         
1   $40.00   $40.00

Total parts = $3,655.35
Labor to date = $4,165.00

This is much more interesting if you can see the new parts:

A few points regarding the pictures:

1 - The tank has been fabricated but not yet welded
2 - The fairing is intended for the air/oil cooled r1200r.  You can get a better view here: https://youtu.be/GvJ7LDUeg6A
2a - The mounts for the fairing had to be modified
3 - More information about the LED headlight can be found here: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/

===January 2017===

The year started off with a few issues.  The tank fabrication used the wrong grade of aluminum (as per the builder) and could not be welded. Had to start from scratch, but I was informed that the process would be faster this time around.  I plan to ride this bike to Austin for the Handbuilt show in mid April, so I'm concerned regarding timing. 

Finding a solution for the hard bags is now out of scope. No reasonable way to do it in the time remaining and the builder is unsure it's workable to re-mount given the changes to the frame. Leather bags were suggested at some future point.

This was decided late last year, but the tank will not be painted.  Going with the aluminum look. Also completed last year was the ceramic coating for the header pipes.  Coating done and pipes waiting to be installed.

As of January 17th, the plan to complete is as follows:
1 - Complete front fender assembly and mount
2 - Mount headlight and fairing
3 - Complete side panels
4 - Complete tank

We've also discussed replacing the factory tank as a fall back plan in case extra time is needed.

===February/March===
Dropped by the shop in March and the following items are now complete:

Front fender

upload a new photo

Fairing mounted (almost complete)

ebay picture hosting

===April===
The builder informed me that the bike will not be rideable next week for the handbuilt show in Austin (21-23) as previously discussed; His focus has been on other projects, however the sections of the new tank have been formed and can be seen here:

good image hosting

The overall scope has been adjusted to focus on getting the bike back on the road.  Next steps agreed with the builder are as follows:

1 - Fuel tank completion and fitting
2 - Side covers completion and fitting - no paint or finish
3 - Fitting of the fairing (bracket painting and mounting)
4 - Touch up paint for the frame (feathering in the area where the frame was modified with the stock finish)
5 - Under seat panel - no paint or finish
6 - reassembly work

Only the frame (touch up) and new fuel tank (sanded and sealed) are being finished:  I thought it better to focus on having a rideable bike.  Finishing can be done at a later date.

Luggage is still an open question, but again, I thought it better to pause work on that front for now (and focus on a rideable bike).

I should have another update the first week of May.

===May===
No progress. Please see my update below.

===Aug 7===
See below

===Aug 16===
See below

===Aug 23===
See below

===Nov 28===
See below

===Dec 16===
See below

===2018===
===Jan 28===
See below
===17 April===
See below
===19 April===
See below
===20 April===
See below
===25 April===
See below
===8 May===
See below
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:18:55 PM by knowmaddd »

twowings

Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *April 14 Update*
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Looking forward to the next update  :thumb:

Keep up the good work!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:15:55 AM »
Jeez mate no one'll ever accuse you of not involving us. Great report and looks damn interesting from here in Oz. Hope you keep us in the loop and welcome to our forum, looks like you've a lot to offer. Oh, and BTW to you in Houston, the Eagle has DEFINITELY landed, well done !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:17:34 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:44 AM »
Can you give us the guts on the fabrication of the gas tank. EVERYTHING YOU KNOW PLEASE.... :popcorn:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:44 AM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »
Good looking project. :thumb: Making it to how you need it to be. I like your approach.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
Very cool... Can't wait to see the finished product.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
This is a really cool and crazy project, hope you'll continue with the updates!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *August 7 Update*
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:24:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

Not much progress (visually) since the last update.  It's been a year since this project was started and the bike is far from complete.  Here is a summary of the latest activity...

> Money spent so far, 16k.  This includes parts and repair work
> A 10yo bike with 50k miles needs a bit of TLC, which I'm happy to have done!
> The frame has been sanded, primed and painted
> The top part of the tank (forgive my lack of technical description) has been welded, but not yet complete

I'm including a few pictures to try and illustrate where everything is.   

The builder will no longer provide estimates, so I have no idea when this might be finished or what progress to expect.  The big frustration is that when the builder receives other work the project is dropped to turn around other items.  I understand that being a two person shop work has to be juggled, but I still find it very, very frustrating.

If you remember from my last post, I've paired back the scope to focus on having a rideable bike.  Of those items, here is where we are today:

1 - Fuel tank completion and fitting - ONGOING
2 - Side covers completion and fitting - no paint or finish - Complete!
3 - Fitting of the fairing (bracket painting and mounting) - Complete!
4 - Touch up paint for the frame (feathering in the area where the frame was modified with the stock finish) - Complete!
5 - Under seat panel - no paint or finish - Complete!
6 - reassembly work (exhaust is back on)

Where does this leave the project?
a - tank completion and fitting
b - engine re-flash (pending tank completion)
c - test riding and adjustment (by the builder)

About the tank fabrication.  This has been THE biggest pain point.  The tank is being constructed by hand using a wooden buck and aluminum.  The first attempt failed due to the grade of aluminum used.  As someone new to the process of having a bike built, I would not recommend this route unless you have someone who builds tanks for your bike, and has done it before (again, for YOUR bike).  When I was scoping out this project I had a go/no go item of finding a tank for the build.  I did not stick to that decision and I can't stress enough how challenging this type of fabrication is. 

I've been checking with the builder about twice per month, but there is not always much progress.  I've also been busy with work and my daily driver (v7) needs some TLC so moto has not been top of mind. 

I will check in and answer any questions or requests for pictures. 

Thanks!

upload photo to web
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:17:39 PM by knowmaddd »

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
This is a really cool and crazy project, hope you'll continue with the updates!

:1:
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *August 7 Update*
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:38:38 PM »
That's impressive. I've never seen anyone customize a big Breva. keep us updated, too cool!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *August 16 Update*
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
There has been more progress on the tank.  The builder posted these pictures to Instagram, with the following note...

image album hosting

"Final shape and polish by @onewithenigma . Jon says "I don't like folk art". Welding in the prefab'd gas cap neck and bottom with mounts and fuel pump flange."

Its great to see this progress.  I have not visited since this was shared, so I don't have pictures of the bottom or fitting of the fuel pump. 

I will keep you all updated as always.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:10 AM »
Nice build and that tank looks really good. I like the obvious influence from the V7 sport tank. Going to be a good looking bike for sure!  :bike-037:
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
I know there was interest in more tank related information so I'm posting a few pictures of the wooden buck...

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *August 23 Update*
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
No progress this week, but I thought I would share some additional pictures of the frame work.

About that frame...

At a high level, the frame cut, narrowed and re-installed.  It was also sanded, primed and painted.  Probably a bit of overkill for a bike that will be a daily driver, but good finishing preserves metal work, so money well spent.  If your interested, a few pictures of the frame are below...

In preparing the frame, the builder found some 'treasure'...

I may have to clean up that key, have it gold plated and wear it around my neck.  Or just clean it up and put it back in service...

Hopefully I will have more progress to share soon.

Take care...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:40:02 PM by knowmaddd »

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *November 28 Update*
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »
Hello everyone,

It's been a while and there is now more progress I would like to share. 

As I was waiting for Scales Studio to continue work, I was also planning my next phase.  As you'll remember from previous posts, I had decreased the scope of the project given the long lead time.  Cosmetic work and the luggage were placed out of scope to focus on having a rideable bike sooner.  During my research I spoke at length with https://revivalcycles.com in Austin. 

The project manager at Revival reviewed my requirements and kept in touch, with a slot planned to be available in October.  This conversation happened in August and I was hoping that Scales would have had the bike running in time for the slot.  Scales does not provide estimates, so the the date was not discussed (did not want to give the impression of imposing a date). 

October came and Revival was ready to take on the project, however the bike was not much further along.  The tank was still in pieces and the engine was not running (needs to be flashed).  I made the decision to move the project to Revival and informed Scales, who was very professional and helpful (as always).  I had wanted to build the bike in Houston, but his backlog of work made this difficult. Ten days later (October 19th) my bike was in Austin.

I followed the bike up and spent half the day at the Revival shop. Chris, the project manager, walked me through a careful review.  I met with quite a few of the Revival staff as they came by to have a look at my bike, offering input in their different areas of expertise. 
https://www.instagram.com/revivalan/
https://www.instagram.com/andyjamesdio/

I also had (another) opportunity to have a look at other projects (the shop is very well organized, with many projects on the go at different work stations), this time I was guided to look at specific elements in relation to my project.  It was really a great experience. I especially like the depth of experience they have with MG. Given my (small) modest project, I was really grateful for the time they took with me. With an opportunity like this, I decided to expand the scope.  I asked them to finish the project, and look for additional ways to pull the whole project together functionally and visually.

Roughly speaking, the scope now includes:
> Completion of the fuel tank
> Customizing the factory seat (v7 on the now narrower frame) to 'fit' the tank
> Luggage rack and side bags
> New rear sets and passenger pegs

The bags will be custom made using leather and waxed canvas.  I have no idea yet regarding color and am open to suggestions.

While I was in Austin, I rented a bike from Revival.  They also offered a no cost rental for future visits while my bike is in the shop, which is very generous.

upload photo to url

Over the course of the following week, Revival sent me a project summary, I paid a deposit and work began.  On the 9th of November, I had my first update... The tank was tacked together with work started to fit the tank to the frame...

A day later (10th November) the tank was welded with the fitting complete...

One of the points that was made is that a better job could be done to 'fit' the seat to the new tank.  I had not given this any thought as the idea was to use a stock v7 seat.  The idea was to better show off the fame by re-working the seat pan.  Once the aesthetics of this was pointed out on other bikes (I'm a visual person), I was happy to have this done.  A few days before the holiday here in the US, I received the following update...

Revival will also have the controls ready for tack welding so I can check the fit of the rider triangle.  They will be ready for me to come back to Austin in the next few days. 

I'll keep you all posted as the project progresses.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbfTcJfnu2y/?taken-by=revivalcycles

Take care...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:24:12 PM by knowmaddd »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
Mate I love the styling and workmanship.
Should have been built that way. Having one with an 8V Griso lump would be something.
Please stay in touch..

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »
wow thanks for keeping up the updates

certainly looks cool! There can't be more than a handful of full custom Brevas out there

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *December 16 Update*
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
The bike is coming together quickly.  Revival actually contacted me at the end of November to plan a visit for a 'fitting' before the controls were welded on.  They work so efficiently I became the bottle neck as I was only able to arrange a visit the following week.  During this visit the following work was shown to me:

> New foot peg/rear set mounting
> Luggage rack
> Plan for soft luggage
> Overall 'fitting' of the bike, trying out the new seat

To really appreciate the new peg mounting, I have to take you back to the stock bike.   

The plan to show off the mechanical bits was to remove the grey peg mounting plate, and replace with stainless steel mounts that are more minimal.  The machine work was completed and the new mounts were tack welded to the bike so I could try them out.  here are a few pictures of the mounts...

how to upload a photo on internet

In the second and third pictures you can see the new mounting solution for the passenger pegs.  I'm really keen on this change as its a lot more tidy and minimal, which is what I'm going for.  When Chris from Revival was describing the passenger peg mounting to me via e-mail it took him a while as I had a hard time picturing what they were planning.  For those of you more experienced, this may seem common, but I had not noticed passenger pegs mounted this way previously.  The funny thing is, this is similar to the peg mounting on the new (at some future point to be released) V85.

The luggage rack was mocked up using thin gage wire to allow me to visualize and propose adjustments.  The builder responsible for this piece is Ty, who posts pictures on instagram for those of you interested https://www.instagram.com/tyarlo/

Regarding the rack, the mock up was ready when I arrived on the Thursday.  I went back the next day to pick up a rental bike, and the suggestions I had made to Chris were already integrated into the design.  It's hard to fully appreciate the rack with just the one picture; It's a clean, flowing piece of work that ties into the line of the bike.  For me, the practicality of a motorbike is part of the appeal; go anywhere, park anywhere and take along essentials.  The rack really highlights this for me (does this make me a practicality geek?).

The bags, as I may have mentioned before, will be waxed canvas with leather trim.  For my build the canvas will be dark grey and the leather a bit darker than the example pictured here.  The bags will lock to the rack using an off the shelf part.

In terms of the overall bike fit, I currently have the 1200 sport handlebars on the bike which are going to be replaced with these: https://revivalcycles.com/collections/lsl/products/lsl-naked-bike-steel-handlebars-7-8   which will modify from 3" rise 4 3/4" pull back to 4" rise 7" pull back.

The pegs/foot controls are also going to be moved down one inch and forward by one inch (maximum).

Overall, great progress with very high quality work. 

On a related note, the rental bike was also fantastic...

image hosting sites

This is probably the last post for this year as I hope the team at Revival will be taking a well deserved break, and I'll be working overtime to complete year end work projects.  For those of you who will be enjoying some time off, I wish you a happy holiday.

Take care
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:15:25 PM by knowmaddd »

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *January 28 Update*
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Happy new year everyone!

The end of 2017 has been quite busy, as has been the beginning of 2018.  The team at Revival has been hard at work, but I've not had the opportunity to share with you, so this is my first update of the year.

The first week of January, Chris from Revival updated me regarding the new exhaust.  The bike has now lost some weight, but should still retain the quite character as the new pipe is fully baffled.

Also being worked on at the same time was the new luggage.  You'll remember that I opted to go for soft saddle bags and a small tank bag in addition to the rear rack.  The templates were made and the fabric was ordered.  The work is being done by Courtney Gilmore, who makes leather products for Revival https://www.instagram.com/gilcourt/

Work on the bags progressed at a steady pace and is close to being complete...

I'm very happy with the results.  The bags are lined and water resistant.  A plate is being added to give the bags some form/stiffness and they will lock on to the rack.

During this time there was one setback - the battery box required removal of all the panels just to change the battery.  Not what I want to live with long term so I asked Revival to resolve this issue.  I blame myself for this one as I should have specified to the previous builder that functionality was a primary requirement for this part.  The previous builder found a place for the battery, but functionality was not a consideration.

A new box was fabricated and positioned in a way which allows replacement by removing only the seat

Also, Andy James https://www.instagram.com/andyjamesdio/ fabricated new throttle body covers for the bike.  You may remember from previous pictures they were partially covered by plastic.

The detailing for the covers looks fantastic.  I just gave them a general idea and Andy made amazing parts. 

The last item I'm going to cover today are the indicators.  With so many changes to the bike, I wanted to go LED.  We found a good lighting solution but new stalks were needed Allen at Revival fabricated a beautiful solution.  Its so well integrated that I don't think people will notice its custom (Sorry Allen). https://www.instagram.com/slowdown.brown/

Things are moving quickly and I'm looking forward to sharing more with you all soon.

Take care...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:19:41 PM by knowmaddd »

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *January 28 Update*
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:34 AM »
Hi Knowmaddd,

Looks like the build is progressing nicely, details looks good too.

How do you plan to hook on the saddle bags you had made? Which fit the style of the bike nice BTW.

Your rear hugger/fender, how is this mounted? it looks like it bolts on to the upper Carc reaction arm. Is it bolted to the swingarm also? Remember that the reaction arm and swing arm moves in relation to each other when the wheel moves through its travel.

-Ulrik

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *April 17 Update* Handbuilt show countdown...
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
Ah, the last 20% of any project... always the most challenging...

Since the last update, a lot of work has been completed, but the bike is not quite finished.  I also had an injector problem that had to be sorted out. 

As of today:
- Engine flash, running with old tank
- All leather work complete
- Fenders painted
- Ceramic coating of forks, under body pannel
- Tank painted (reason for using old tank)
- Side panels trimmed (paint)

I decided it would be nice to break up the aluminum with some paint.  I also found out that paint takes an incredible amount of time to complete.  Take the estimate and multiply by a factor of 10.  Having said that, Revival worked with the paint shop (they don't do paint in-house) to complete a great looking end product. 

Given the timing, the bike will be assembled and in the Handbuilt show, but I'll have to wait until they finish testing to ride it back (another excuse for a road trip).  Revival did an amazing job and I'm really happy with the work so far.  They also managed to change out my exhaust and keep the bike quiet (I like quiet.  Sorry to disappoint).

Hope you can all make it up to Austin for the show. Moto Guzzi is a sponsor, and I'm sure they will have some interesting projects on display.  It's a great event in a fun part of the country.  You may see me riding up on a white v7 classic this Thursday.  I'm looking forward to taking the v7 for a short trip and a few days off.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:24:12 AM by knowmaddd »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »
Your original post said you were "quietly learning" from some of the guys.
From my point of view it's the other way around, your attention to detail is as good as some other notables that I see on here.
Don't reckon there'd be much I could teach you, well done !
Will be really good to see the stand off shots on completion and how she goes.
Stay in touch.

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
Your original post said you were "quietly learning" from some of the guys.
From my point of view it's the other way around, your attention to detail is as good as some other notables that I see on here.
Don't reckon there'd be much I could teach you, well done !
Will be really good to see the stand off shots on completion and how she goes.
Stay in touch.
  That's very kind of you to say.  Thank you

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »
saw the bags & rear end on the Revival instagram feed, looking good!

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
So will you and the bike be in the show or outside the show this weekend? I'm going on Saturday. They have changed locations this year. I really enjoyed the location for the last 3 years.

Best Regards,
Les

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *April 19 Update* Handbuilt show countdown...
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

The bike is assembled and will be displayed at the handbuilt show, starting with the kick off party this evening at the South Congress hotel.  I'll share more pictures in the coming days, but here is a quick look...

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/handbuilt-show-program

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 07:18:57 AM »
Hi!

That turned out great! I love that you have kept it usable, most customs sacrifices all usability for looks. You show that function and looks can go together. It is like having a supermodel who actually knows how to do stuff except from looking good :grin:

PS: I'm trying to do something similar with my bike. Keep it looking nice, but also keep it usable, it will not be a show bike but a good looking every day bike :grin:

-Ulrik

Offline knowmaddd

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
Hi!

That turned out great! I love that you have kept it usable, most customs sacrifices all usability for looks. You show that function and looks can go together. It is like having a supermodel who actually knows how to do stuff except from looking good :grin:

PS: I'm trying to do something similar with my bike. Keep it looking nice, but also keep it usable, it will not be a show bike but a good looking every day bike :grin:

-Ulrik

Thank you Ulrik.  I'm very happy with how the bike turned out.  It looks even better in person, and all of the practical elements I wanted are there.  I took a few more pictures last night (Warning: poor lighting and photographer) to show the bike from a few more angles. 

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: 2006 Breva rebuild - *April 20 Update* Handbuilt show countdown...
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »
Wow, just wow!
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

The bike is assembled and will be displayed at the handbuilt show, starting with the kick off party this evening at the South Congress hotel.  I'll share more pictures in the coming days, but here is a quick look...

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/handbuilt-show-program

I saw the bike 'in the flesh' at the show this weekend.  I hadn't made the connection that it was your bike (old man CRS problem).  It looked great!  Pictures don't do it justice.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here