Author Topic: Lemans III fork question  (Read 1042 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Lemans III fork question
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
I   have excessive front end dive under braking on a  Mk III with oem air dampers. The springs feel a little soft and damping is non existent.  I have yet to check fork oil volume but will certainly start with that. Is it possible to add some preload by adding a spacer?   I have also have read that the Fac  dampers are better than the stock air jobs, which do not seem to maintain pressure for more than a short period.
Tia, dave

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Lemans III fork question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
  the stock air jobs, which do not seem to maintain pressure for more than a short period.
Tia, dave
like the time it took to deliver bike to dealer? just get FAC dampers, they take a little while to break in.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
like the time it took to deliver bike to dealer? just get FAC dampers, they take a little while to break in.

That’s what I did. Mo betta.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »
Have you checked the hose & fittings. I had to replace mine at one time.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »

omega1

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 01:19:55 AM »
FAC dampers with Wurth progressive springs :thumb:

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 06:13:01 AM »
I have FAC dampers, with the Wurth springs, thanks to Charlie Mullendore.  Huge improvement over the the stock air setup, but, they do need to break in over a few thousand miles. Just a little too stiff initially.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:39:55 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:35:12 AM »
Life for me is too short to put up with fork dampers that take "a couple of thousand miles" to break in. That is absurd. So for that time period, I get to get the sh*t beat out of me by my suspension? Forget it. Invariably when I tear down an old 35mm Guzzi front end, I check the dampers, and if the have no flat spots (areas of no damping) they go back in. If I have to I will replace them one at a time often because the paoli or sebac "screen door" dampers are often too stiff initially. If I have to replace both, I sell the bike.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Thank's for the replies everyone.  Steve , I did replace the air line but still no noticeable improvement in holding pressure.  A tear down is in order and I think stiffer or progressive springs are worth trying. Going to replace fork oil first and check sags after some riding.  I would imagine after 35 years any spring would loose some of it's oomph.  I would look at turning spacers and shortening the coils but if  the springs are toast what"s the point?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »
All the air pressure does in that type of damper is firm up the damping. I'd be tempted to drain and refill the dampers with 5w fork oil and see if they work better. Easy enough to do (once damper is removed from the forks): unscrew the black plastic top piece (where the air fitting threads in), carefully remove the rubber air bladder, turn the damper upside down over a drain pan and pump the damper rod in and out to remove the original "fish oil". Refill. You'll need to experiment a bit to figure out how much it takes to refill.
Charlie

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here