Author Topic: Block-K sidecar tire  (Read 2659 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Block-K sidecar tire
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Almost as soon as I started riding the trike I decided that the Metzeler 88 on the front had to go.  The round profile and high-speed tread pattern wasn't tracking or braking the way I imagined it should.  The issue of course is always getting a shop willing to ship my choice of tire to Sitka (we haven't any local store that is willing to order one).  BAck when I had money, I bought Ural tires (Duro HF308) in 400x19-6-ply for the rear but was unable to find stock in 400x18 for the front.

Now that I'm prepping for a trip I'm up against the need for a sidecar-type (flat profile) front tire.  Still no Duro in stock anywhere that will ship to Alaska, and for some reason I can't find Avon or Dunlop triple-duty in 18" rim sizes.  I finally found Metzeler Block-K sidecar tires in 400x18.  They're another tube type and 2x the cost of a Duro (sigh).  But MC-Powersports in MI says they'll ship for free and the profile appears pretty flat.  We'll see how true both of those observations are over the next few days.

In the meantime, does anyone have a review of the Metzeler Block-K sidecar tire they'd like to share?  How flat are they?  Mileage?  Performance?  Anyone ever run them as tubeless?

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Block-K sidecar tire
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »
I've used them on a /2 outfit that I've had (both front & rear of the bike) - very flat, seemed to wear like iron (don't know their mileage life) and I thought put a better patch of rubber down.  Ran them with tubes on wire spoked wheels.  Good that you've found one and a place to ship it to you.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
I ran a set on my Cal II rig, they wore out quickly, I thought they were made.of cheese.  I switched to Me 88 (no longer available) on the rear and 880 on the front. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
They still make Dunlop K-70s. Is that the style you are looking for?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/20554/i/dunlop-k70-front-tire

Pete
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:05:05 AM by PeteS »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »
The sellers, MC Powersports out of MI, are now charging me $32.78 for the free shipping.  They claim it was ebay failing to charge me, but the ad clearly said it was free to the united states, and my zip code also came back as a free-ship zone.  When I looked back at the ad this morning, there is a note from ebay saying the seller has 'updated' the listing, and the listing now says in huge, bold letters that free shipping EXCLUDES Alaska -- clearly not there before.

So I think I'm being scammed.  What would you do?

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »
Complain to Ebay.  It was deceptive advertising.
NO longer can ride

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
It's more than deceptive advertising -- it's altering the terms of the contract after the contract was entered into.  I'm going to make one attempt to solve it amicably, then I'll escalate it to ebay.  Here's what I wrote them:

Hi there!

I see that since I made my purchase, you 'updated' your listing.  Where it had said free shipping, it now says Alaska excluded.  When I made the purchase I read the listing and it clearly said free shipping.  There was no Alaska exclusion.  I entered my zip code and it confirmed that shipping was free.  All verbage agreed that standard shipping to Alaska is free.  Today as I re-read the listing, I see the bold exclusion for Alaska.  I also see where ebay says you altered the listing since the purchase.  I believe that this is a violation of ebay rules.  Under the circumstances you should honor the terms of your listing and ship me the tire at no additional cost.

David Pazar

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
Well, that got me nowhere.  MC Powersports insist that the mistake is entirely mine.  I get so completely, abysmally, f***ing depressed when I'm treated like a rube simply because of my zip code.  Are there no honest stores left on this godforsaken planet?

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »
I have two new K-Blocks still with the stickers on them here BUT they are from 2006. If you are interested I could ship one to Alaska for $35 plus shipping. I calculated USPS Parcel Post at about $45. Other shipping options were much more expensive.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 06:17:53 PM »
I really appreciate that, but the immediate need is now (I hope) met.  I just pulled the trigger on the matching Duro.  It will ship free to my sister who will then freight it up to me.  At half the cost of the block-k I should be able to afford the shipping, if not the delay.

What size are the tires, and where are you located?  I might swing by and pick them up . . . .

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
4.00x18

Cameron, WI

www.scramblercycle. com
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
  They are scamming you.  That ploy is common practice now.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
4.00x18

Cameron, WI

www.scramblercycle. com

That gives me an incentive to go to WI.   :smiley:

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
http://www.lucasclassictires.com/400-450-18-Longstone-3-Block-Tread-Blackwall-Long40018.htm
I think I'll try one of these on the front of the sidecar rig next.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Escalate it with ebay as soon as possible, see what they have to say.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
I blew off the seller with the hidden shipping charges and went with another seller.  I ended up with the Duro 308 in 4.00x18 for $57.00, shipped to my sister on Whidby Island for free.  The plan was to meet the tire with the trike and have a friend in Seattle do the 20min mount with his tire machine.  The reality was that my sister dutifully shipped it ($47) to my house, on account of I didn't tell her not to. Here I got to spoon off the Metzeler 880 Marathon (6-ply -- not hand-tool friendly) and spoon on the Duro (4-ply in 18", so not as stiff).  The 20min job took over 4 hours.  It held full pressure overnight, so I guess I didn't do my favorite trick of pinching the tube.  While it was off I checked and adjusted the steering head a little tighter.  That might help the head shake.

So now I have Duro sidecar tires on all corners.  We know they work good enough on nasty roads for the Russians to use them as oem on urals.  We'll see how they fare on the pavement.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »
The block tread and flat profile of the Duro 308 have really changed the personality of the trike at low speeds.  The front end feels lighter and turns easier, while going where I point it rather than following the crown of the road.  The headshake coming off of sidewalks at an angle and through potholes is more under control.  I only had it around the block -- maybe 25mph tops, and the main purpose of the ride was a quick brake check, but the improvement was noticeable just moving from the driveway to the street.  So by comparison to the ME880 it's a new game.  I can't wait to get it on the highway again.  I might have to rethink the ez-steer mods.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here