Author Topic: Another T rebuild: left cylinder compression  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Re: Another T rebuild: left cylinder compression
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »
My suggestion would be to run a flex hone through the bore and not worry too much about the marks , replace the rings, run it in and re check the comp.

Dusty and Chuck:  What do you think of Phil's encouraging words?  I have new rings in hand. Can't hurt to try?
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »
 Seth , it might be ok for a bit , but for how long ?

Dusty

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 11:18:52 PM »
Hot soapy water bath before install, too
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:35 AM »
Hot soapy water bath before install, too
Agreed, good point, after a run through with the flex hone hot soapy water and completely dry it off then rub the cylinder with engine oil and wipe out with a paper towel and you're ready to fit it up.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:35 AM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 02:40:42 AM »
Seth , it might be ok for a bit , but for how long ?

Dusty
For the life of the engine. The deciding factor will be the comp and oil consumption.
Nikasil is super durable stuff. I've seen race motors re ringed and the nikasil cylinders hand finished with 400 wet and dry to knock any glaze off and ensure the rings seated. It was fine and never gave any issues.
Sometimes you need to add lib a bit at the track.
Ciao

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 02:49:43 AM »
You sure 130psi is ok? My v7 shows around 230 psi

Have you checked valve seats for damage? If water and silt got in to the cylinder it must have gone in via an open inlet or exhaust valve

Corrosion or a small body hammered into the seat may well cause low readings

Did you turn the engine and hydro lock it before finding the jug full of water, you could have bent a rod or damaged a big end shell causing lower compression reading
230psi!!!! On a V7, I'd be checking your compression tester
Ciao

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »
230psi!!!! On a V7, I'd be checking your compression tester
Ciao

:grin: :grin: Yeah, really.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
 Tbjs isn' t a race motor .

Dusty I

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »
Bad rod bearing. I'm going to drop the engine and pull the crank. Time availability is an issue. This project may take a couple of months.

Thanks to all who offered advice!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:33:01 AM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
As I was typing this Seth posted about the bad rod bearing. I'll post it anyway.

It is really hard to tell from a photograph just exactly how deep those vertical scrape marks are.  I think Phil's experience is telling and may be the way to proceed.  If I couldn't snag a fingernail on those vertical marks I would definitely consider going in that direction.  In race conditions I have done many things I would never do in other circumstances as, have many others.  A good look by someone with experience with Nigusil would be a good thing.  All this boils down to Seth's effort and time and what he deems them to be worth.  The engine disassembly and reassembly is not difficult work but it is time consuming, for a retired guy like me, no problem.  We are also at the start of riding season in the northern hemisphere and I am sure that Seth would like to ride soon.  Sooooooo long story short I just might take the expedient route and slap that sucker together with some new rings and pray it goes the season and take another look at the end of riding season.  It is after all a mechanical beast and not flesh and blood, it is repairable in any count.  Best of luck to Seth whichever ways he goes.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
Brian:  Thanks for your concern.  As it happens I am retired, and while I have part-time consulting work, my time is very flexible. And this lovely old beast is not my only motorcycle: the dependable daily rider now is a BMW (Aprilia) F650, also perfectly adequate for day-touring, and we'll certainly put 3,000 miles on it this summer.

The time constraints are a pending wedding (mine), home renovation, travel for honeymoon, to visit daughter and elderly parents, and even the 50th high school reunion (yikes!). Rebuild of the T -- third in five years -- will proceed at a leisurely pace.

And while I'm frustrated with my own slovenly neglect at the post-flood rebuild (obviously leaving some grit in the intake tract), I have passionately fond memories of the sweet way this machine used to run and handle. Will be happy to have it back on the road before the snow flies.

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
 Congratulations Seth .

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
Brian:  Thanks for your concern.  As it happens I am retired, and while I have part-time consulting work, my time is very flexible. And this lovely old beast is not my only motorcycle: the dependable daily rider now is a BMW (Aprilia) F650, also perfectly adequate for day-touring, and we'll certainly put 3,000 miles on it this summer.

The time constraints are a pending wedding (mine), home renovation, travel for honeymoon, to visit daughter and elderly parents, and even the 50th high school reunion (yikes!). Rebuild of the T -- third in five years -- will proceed at a leisurely pace.

And while I'm frustrated with my own slovenly neglect at the post-flood rebuild (obviously leaving some grit in the intake tract), I have passionately fond memories of the sweet way this machine used to run and handle. Will be happy to have it back on the road before the snow flies.

Since you are of retirement age (like me  :laugh:), if you spend the time and scratch to rebuild it right now most likely you will not have to touch the motor again until you're riding in the clouds....

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
Tbjs isn' t a race motor .

Dusty I
Thanks, I do believe I'm aware of that.
Ciao

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »
Thanks, I do believe I'm aware of that.
Ciao

Well , you seemed to be making .a recommdation based on race bike practice , just checking

Dusty,

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 05:45:01 AM »
Well , you seemed to be making .a recommdation based on race bike practice , just checking

Dusty,

I'm giving a recommendation based on my experience with nikasil cylinders from engines I have worked on and built that competed in world F1, F2 and WSB plus my own road and race engines.
Thought it might be usefull and interesting to give an example of the robust nature of this type of cylinder coating.
Ciao

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »
Well, just my honest opinion here. The first cylinder's rings were worn out from abrasive material. I'm betting ring gap on the second will be too big, too. Bad rod bearing. All this points to abrasives. They'll still be in the galleries, etc. if new parts are installed, and the cycle will continue.
I would completely tear it down and start from square one. Flush the galleries, take a *serious* look at the oil pump. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and leave some money for some red gaiters, Phil.  :evil: :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »
I didn't mean to start an argument.  After seeing the bad rod bearing, I am going to tear the whole thing down, look at the oil pump and cam surfaces, and blow out the passages. Will report on right side ring gap today.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
Ring gap on the right side within spec, but . . .  the middle ring was broken.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
Check your rocker arm shafts & bushings, too. Do it once, do it right, and it will treat you well for the rest of your life.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »
Well, just my honest opinion here. The first cylinder's rings were worn out from abrasive material. I'm betting ring gap on the second will be too big, too. Bad rod bearing. All this points to abrasives. They'll still be in the galleries, etc. if new parts are installed, and the cycle will continue.
I would completely tear it down and start from square one. Flush the galleries, take a *serious* look at the oil pump. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and leave some money for some red gaiters, Phil.  :evil: :smiley:
My opinion here Chuck is directed specifically at the cylinder the assumption that it and the replacement ring gaps is still within spec. Nikasil is a very durable material and as someone earlier pointed out its not unusual to still see the hone marks after many klms.
It wouldn't surprise me to find the rings shot but the cylinder still useable.
I've actually just had a set of Daytona cylinders re nikasiled locally but haven't used them as yet. I'll be interested to see how they compare to the factory cylinders when it's up and running.
Ciao

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
I didn't mean to start an argument.  After seeing the bad rod bearing, I am going to tear the whole thing down, look at the oil pump and cam surfaces, and blow out the passages. Will report on right side ring gap today.
Actually, there isn't any argument.  I respect Phil's knowledge, and agree that the cylinder *might* be usable. It will take more than a picture to tell, though.
You are totally right in tearing it down, IMHO. Look at *everything* critically that goes round and round and up and down.
As an aside, Pat Cowden is the only guy I know that successfully salvaged his money creek flood bike. He completely took it apart and cleaned it, including all of the electrical system. Everything. No doubt, it was much more labor than the bike was worth, but.. he liked it. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »
Chuck, I'm in Pat's position. I've stubbornly spent far more on this bike than it's worth.  I replaced the entire electric system after the flood except for the coils, and I'll replace them this time. Tore the gearbox down and replaced the timing chain and all the carb internals. I thought I'd got all the grit out but no, and since this bike has no oil filter . . .    Well.

I also lost a Subaru in the flood, but I wasn't in love with it so had no trouble donating the hulk to NPR.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here