Author Topic: Piaggio / Moto Guzzi Social Media  (Read 10279 times)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
Piaggio / Moto Guzzi Social Media
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
I've been looking at a couple Moto Guzzi motorcycles lately. Not looking to buy at this point, just curious. I rode Moto Guzzi bikes for over 35 years at one point. But their red and black Eldorado and the MGX-21 are interesting motorcycles. Not sure I could really go from a mildly tuned Victory 106 to a Guzzi 1400cc though.

I don't really know the overall size differences between Piaggio and Polaris. But their social impact difference is quite sizable. It's very easy to see and get information on what's going on and where they're doing what with Moto Guzzi via social media with Facebook, an app and email notification. It's also interesting that for the third year in a row, Moto Guzzi is front and center at Sturgis with test rides and deals on new bikes a plenty. Yes, I know Polaris Indian is also their. But Moto Guzzi isn't pretending to be anyone but themselves while Polaris Indian is trying to convince people they go back to 1901.   

So yea, there isn't another Moto Guzzi in my immediate future. Though I am holding out hope that for their centennial in 2021, Guzzi will have something closer to an 1800cc engine, more accessories and a better dealer network. Plus maybe another bagger to go along with the MGX-21 or a touring bike with better touring capabilities than their current CA Tourer. 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Piaggio / Moto Guzzi Social Media
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
Agree,  I don't see a match for you from low revving Victory to free revving Guzzi.  I haven't seen any hint about a 1800 sized bike either.

I'd say that Victory is on the other side of spectrum from Guzzi insofar as riding styles for Touring Cruisers. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »
Did you ride the 1400CC or just speculation?  My 1400CC concours would let you know what it thought about the 106.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »
Yes, you're right. But I also know that the majority of responses they get from the crowd at Sturgis is telling them what they already know.

1. Bigger engine

2. More accessories

3. More two up room

4. Dealer network

5. More accessories

Though I'm thrilled at Piaggio for bringing and featuring the MGX-21 at Sturgis for three years in a row. Though the Sturgis crowd and the moto media most certainly expect updates and additional options (color) from three years ago.

The Victory, for a big air/oil cooled twin does like to spin a bit. They're happiest between 3200 and 5200. The 106 is an overhead cam with 4 valve heads afterall. If you were to ride and shift one like an H-D or a Polaris Indian, you'd be severely lugging the engine.

What a bummer though that no one makes a big bore kit and performance cams for the Guzzi. There's simply no replacement for displacement.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
Did you ride the 1400CC or just speculation?  My 1400CC concours would let you know what it thought about the 106.

I rode a CA Touring 1400 and the Eldorado. Yes, the Guzzi is peppy but after having 114 rear wheel hp and torque. Well, that pep is nice but so are higher numbers. The Victory 106 will run all day long at 80 mph in 6th gear at 3000 rpm and return 42 mpg. One up, two up, bags and trunk full or empty, it doesn't care.

Yes, and I suspect your Kawasaki Concours 1400 is miles apart from the Guzzi 1400 as well. Am I right?

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 11:18:28 PM »
 Isn't a 1400 Guzzi already faster than the big American twins ?

Dusty

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:02:36 AM »
Back when Polaris was making Victory, I owned and put 25,000 happy miles on a Kingpin Tour Deluxe.  It had the 100 c.i. engine and was rated for 100 h.p.  I felt the rating was a little optimistic.  But, it was a powerful machine.  I now have the 1400 Cal.  They are very different machines.  The Guzzi is much sportier to ride and leans into turns with more enthusiasm.  I also feel that the suspension is a little more supple on the Cal.  I liked the Vic and respected its abilities, but would stop short of calling it love.  In only 8,000 miles, I feel much more attached to this Guzzi in a way I used to feel about my Harleys. 
As for 1800 cc Guzzi, don't expect that, MG just doesn't roll that way.
Ride what you like, its all good.                                                                                                       
Blue Guzz

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »
I just saw an e mail yesterday about a summer blowout special of 3,800 bucks!

From the add:
"Our summer promos are heating up, and our dealers nationwide are eager to get you rolling in style. Rush to your local Moto Guzzi dealer where you will find huge savings, up to $3,800 off MSRP, on select 1400cc and 1200cc models in stock. Ask you dealer about the “Summer Clean Up Event” for details."

This ought to be a pretty good incentive to someone out there.

John Henry

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
I rode a CA Touring 1400 and the Eldorado. Yes, the Guzzi is peppy but after having 114 rear wheel hp and torque. Well, that pep is nice but so are higher numbers. The Victory 106 will run all day long at 80 mph in 6th gear at 3000 rpm and return 42 mpg. One up, two up, bags and trunk full or empty, it doesn't care.

Yes, and I suspect your Kawasaki Concours 1400 is miles apart from the Guzzi 1400 as well. Am I right?

I was just pointing out that displacement isn't everything.  I have been to every Victory demo event since they were introduced.  I have ridden them all.  The only bikes that appealed to me out of their lineup were the Hard Ball and the High Ball.  If they would have made a bike to compete with the Road Glide and Vulcan Voyager that didn't look like it was from outer space I may have had one in my garage.  Save goes for Indian.  I love the look, but they don't make anything i am interested in buying at the moment. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
Yes, you're right. But I also know that the majority of responses they get from the crowd at Sturgis is telling them what they already know.

1. Bigger engine

2. More accessories

3. More two up room

4. Dealer network

5. More accessories

Though I'm thrilled at Piaggio for bringing and featuring the MGX-21 at Sturgis for three years in a row. Though the Sturgis crowd and the moto media most certainly expect updates and additional options (color) from three years ago.

The Victory, for a big air/oil cooled twin does like to spin a bit. They're happiest between 3200 and 5200. The 106 is an overhead cam with 4 valve heads afterall. If you were to ride and shift one like an H-D or a Polaris Indian, you'd be severely lugging the engine.

What a bummer though that no one makes a big bore kit and performance cams for the Guzzi. There's simply no replacement for displacement.

I hope that Guzzi never builds a motor like a Victory.  I don't favor a bigger engine, just more RPMs.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »

Dusty

I haven't ridden the new water cooled Harleys but up to those models, I would agree with you, at least in stock form.  Additionally, I've ridden the Victory touring models, the big Indians and even the Kawasaki Glide-clone.  None of them rev like a Guzzi.  It possible that some may be as fast but certainly aren't sportier.  The Polaris products have the most abrupt rev limiters and more extreme riding positions.  The Harleys have a nice balance.  But none are as sporty as the 1400. 

If Guzzi would bring out a 1400 with mid mounts in a sportier touring package, I'd be a customer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:54:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Any well running Guzzi 1100 will run 80mph two up loaded for touring!  Mileage will vary 35-45, rpm will be closer to 4 than 3,  but so what?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »

:tongue:

My Suzuki S-40 will run all day long @ 80mph and return 52 mpg … Bags , top box ,  shield included , and also ride two-up also w/small drop in mpg  …

how much "Extra" HP does a person need anyway ?   :huh:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

My Suzuki S-40 will run all day long @ 80mph and return 52 mpg … Bags , top box ,  shield included , and also ride two-up also w/small drop in mpg  …

Need?  Zero.  But, remember that for the majority these are toys for big boys.  Bragging rights come into play. 

My FZ-07 consistently returned 60 MPG and was quick enough to loft the front tire if you quickly opened the throttle to full open. 
My Concours 1400 was a comfortable sport tourer that was stupid quick and returned 50 MPG if ridden conservatively. 
Even my 900 lb Road Glide with the M8 engine returns 50 - 55 MPG with me on it.

Even the 600cc SS sport bikes are more powerful than one can fully legally utilize on the street, yet many insist on having 1000cc SS sport bikes if you are a 'real' rider. 

I went through the same thing when looking a Sports Cars this past year.  I found the Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Corvette, Porsche Boxter, and even the 370z to be overkill for driving on the public roads.  They were actually boring because they were too capable to actually have fun on the twisty back roads. 

I guess when it comes to cars and bikes I would rather have ones that require rider skill and effort to get the most out of them on the street.  They are more engaging for the rider/driver than a car/bike that requires less effort/skill to go down the same roads at the same speeds.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
Well said, Twowheeladdict!  R3~

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »

Bragging rights?  Get a Triumph Rocket 3.
I worked at a Triumph/Victory dealer for a bit.  Rode every Vic ever made.  I'll take the 1400 EVERY time, with all due respect.
Heck, my 2001 Cali will run at 80 all day long.  As did my Triumph 865 America.

I'm ALL for get what you want but there's no reasonable way to discount the Cali 1400 for all day two up cruising.  It comes down to preference, not mechanical ability or aptitude.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »

1. Bigger engine

2. More accessories

3. More two up room

4. Dealer network

5. More accessories

If Americans would stay within a "safe" "healthy" weight range items one and three would not be necessary.  I test rode the Goldwing 1800 back in 2010 and my wife complained that the passenger accommodations were much too large for her.  The seat pushed her legs outward so that she couldn't even touch me with her legs.  We ended up replacing the Voyager XII with the Voyager 1700 and enjoyed 60,000 miles of touring on that bike.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
 There is a  reason  you rode Guzzi for 35 years.  Your  taste and expectations have changed but I don't think Guzzi is going to meet them anytime soon.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »
Your displacement argument may work with ships, but overweight motorcycles with engines that are bigger than the one in my first car only detract from my moto-paradigm. Considering your stated priorities, Guzzis probably won’t work for you.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
There is a  reason  you rode Guzzi for 35 years.  Your  taste and expectations have changed but I don't think Guzzi is going to meet them anytime soon.

You're likely right on all 3 accounts.

Yes, there was a reason I rode Moto Guzzi for 35 years. My wife didn't ride with me much, mainly due to the various Guzzis not being particularly passenger friendly. When I bought the first Honda Valkyrie Interstate and added an Ultimate King Big Boy seat, she fell in love with motorcycling again.

Yes, my tastes and expectations have most certainly changed. The Victory CCT is the first motorcycle I've ever owned I was ever content with. Not completely at first, but after a few simple performance add ons, yes. Have I changed things on it? Yes, you bet. But not to make it work for us, just because I wanted to. I have yet to find anything I've asked the big Victory to do that it hasn't done exceptionally well.

Yes, Moto Guzzi may not build my next bike. But I do miss the brand and the riders who enjoy them. Though my camping days are likely gone for good. As I posted, I admire Piaggio for not killing the brand off like Polaris did with Victory. My heart wants Moto Guzzi to build my next bike. I do think they're getting closer with the 1400 line. But for me and my riding style, none of the 1400 models could surpass anything my my current ride does. If I were a solo rider, sure. But until my wife says no more riding for her, I'll stick with what keeps us riding together. She's only 5'4" and about 130 pounds so we don't 'need' a huge motorcycle. She's happy on the Victory like she was on the Valkyrie. That means more to me than anything else motorcycle related.

The Moto Guzzi dealer network doesn't actually bother me a bit. Though losing dealers like Rose Farm and MPH is still very disappointing. The Victory dealer network was mostly useless ATV shops that had little to no interest in motorcycles. IMHO, Victory had about 6 excellent dealers around the country. But so far in 60K miles I haven't 'needed' to take it to a dealer except for tire changes. I suspect the Moto Guzzi dealer network is still the same as well, 4 to 6 real good dealers and the rest are 'also rans' at best. But like the Victory, I never 'needed' much of a dealer network with any of my Guzzis either.

The purpose of this thread though is really in the title. There's little productive in debating brands or models on a brand specific internet forum. From an outsider looking in again, I've found that Piaggio is doing an admirable job at trying to get the word out about the Moto Guzzi brand. I sincerely appreciate that. Piaggio is certainly doing more than I've ever seen from Polaris with the Victory line. I first started paying attention to Victory in about 1987 when the magazines started talking about them.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:09:18 PM by TN Mark »

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
 Heck , my old worn out Jackal will run an honest 90 MPH pretty much all day long loaded down with 50 LBS of gear pushing a Pacifico Aerofoil fairing and camping gear hanging out in the wind . Of course the gas mileage drops down to 30 MPG running that fast with the aero-drag , but it is an old 1100 CC ditch pump . Honestly , it is right at my comfort limit weight wise , those 800 LB tankers on wheels simply don't appeal to me .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »
Heck , my old worn out Jackal will run an honest 90 MPH pretty much all day long loaded down with 50 LBS of gear pushing a Pacifico Aerofoil fairing and camping gear hanging out in the wind . Of course the gas mileage drops down to 30 MPG running that fast with the aero-drag , but it is an old 1100 CC ditch pump . Honestly , it is right at my comfort limit weight wise , those 800 LB tankers on wheels simply don't appeal to me .

Dusty

The only time I feel any weight from the road glide is when I am parking on uneven ground.  The low center of gravity make it feel lighter than my Concours 1400 or my Triumph Trophy SE ever did.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
The only time I feel any weight from the road glide is when I am parking on uneven ground.  The low center of gravity make it feel lighter than my Concours 1400 or my Triumph Trophy SE ever did.

Wait until you have a flat on a road with no shoulder .

Dusty

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 10:34:18 PM »
I consider myself a Guzzi guy and have one as well as 2 Victorys.  Yes they are different but each have their good and bad points.   Cruising 2 up on the highway, hard to beat the big Vic 106 motor.  It's not just about speed.  Stability, comfort and reliability play a large part.   The 106 is basically a maintenance free engine.  Oil and filter change and ride.
Guzzi's have more personality.  Reliabiity is generally good but they do have their demons, cracking exhaust pipes, wonky ignition switches, the need to remap a new bike, swing arm bearings not greased, bad lifters just to name a few.  But theyare a pleasure to ride.
Dealer network for Vic is probably better than Guzzi but marginally, both being sparse and somewhat useless. 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 
Everyone likes to take potshots at HD but 100.000's of riders can't all be wrong.  A lot of very high mileage  HD's out there.
Cheers, Tim
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:09:50 AM by timonbik »
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 10:43:35 PM »
TwoWheeladdict

GREAT ! ….  :rolleyes:

Now , I'm wanting a FZ-07 !!!    :laugh:

The older I get the lighter bike I want ,   might be on a scooter in 20 years !  :huh:
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
Wait until you have a flat on a road with no shoulder .

Dusty

The Concours and Trophy had TPMS so the flats on them were alerted and I was able to get them on the center stand before deflation.

A friend of mine got a flat on his R1200RT and had to sit on the bike on the side of the road for over an hour before a tow truck showed up because he couldn't get the side stand down to be able to get off.

The road glide does lean over pretty far on the side stand.  Hopefully I will be able to get it on the side stand and get away from it before some texting cager comes along.  Bikes can be replaced.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
TwoWheeladdict

GREAT ! ….  :rolleyes:

Now , I'm wanting a FZ-07 !!!    :laugh:

The older I get the lighter bike I want ,   might be on a scooter in 20 years !  :huh:

The FZ-07 is an amazing motorcycle in every way except the cheap budget plastics.  It weighs 400lbs wet and has like 75 HP.  Suspension is a little soft but that is great for our back roads. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:00 AM »

Dusty

Yes. By far. Personal observation:  I test rode the big Indian last year just for giggles, and I KNOW my 1400 would destroy it in all of the categories that are important to me. Those are: Quick revving, butter smooth transmission, smooth pull, maneuverability, handling, ground clearance, lean angle and consistency. For an 1800 or whatever it was, it seemed lacking in all of those categories to me. I can't imagine paying the $37K price tag for that thing either. However, I would not want to tour 2-up for any long distance on mine though. If I wanted a bike for that, I'd buy a Goldwing.

In honesty, the Guzzi engine smashed the others in this review: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/baggers-brawl

From the article:
“Despite giving up 300-odd cc to the others, the Guzzi killed the others in top gear roll-ons. My favorite engine by far; it produces a major torque wallop at about 4k rpm that closes the gap with whatever bike it’s behind with one quick thwarp of the throttle.” Several of the testers also praised the MGX for its “sportbike-like transmission,” too.

Some guys are just so hung up on the whole "size matters" thing, while others understand that "endurance and satisfaction" are the things that are actually important.  :wink:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
 ^^^ Yep .

Dusty

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »

All of it!

To paraphrase a Canadian chap from a car show. Do you need an extra XXXhp? of course not nobody needs it! Do you want an extra XXXhp, oh boy! yes you want it! :P

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here