Author Topic: Lee Davis is buying a V9  (Read 9896 times)

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
Lee Davis is buying a V9
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »
I am 67 years old, and have been through 19 bikes in my life. My first bike was a BSA 441 Victor that I bought new in 1970 for $1,049.00. If I had been more aware, I should have bought a Moto Guzzi ( for about $1,250). Now, almost 50 years on, with Harleys, Yamahas, and Bmw's (among others) under my belt, I think I am going to buy a new Guzzi V9 Roamer. I agree with Jay Leno who said "I don't trust a motorcycle that you can't see through" I guess I have a soft spot for Moto Guzzis because I restore old loopframes (have 6 in the line  to restore right now)
     The reviews of the new V9's seem to be very negative. Not concerning the engine, gearbox, or the feel, but rather the esthetics and 'coolness' Fortunately, I am above such reviews. I have ridden the bike now and I was delighted! I think I shall get a new one in a week or two (when I can pay cash), and I have a set of new Craven panniers and top box coming that I shall mount on it. I shall ride it to Alaska to visit my Daughter (25th infantry, Airborne!) this July. Anyone want to go along?    Lee Davis
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:08:47 PM by rocker59 »
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline teguzzi

• New Egg
Re: V9
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
>I shall ride it to Alaska to visit my Daughter (25th infantry, Airborne!) this July. Anyone want to go along?

I am in BC and would love to join you for some of that trip.  Starting next summer I'm going to go to Anchorage and then to Buenos Aires on my Guzzi!  Would love to get a "gear run" or several hundred in!  :)

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
As I mentioned, I am going to Alaska this July. Would love to hook up with fellow riders for the trip (although I am not one for large groups). I will be going on the Cassiar highway (done that twice before), and I think I shall take the ferry on the inland passage from Whittier to Vancouver on the return trip (I find a need for a sea voyage now and then). Contact me at copy@radarcarve.com or call me at 505-948-0571 if you just want to chat.   Lee Davis

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:44:04 PM »
Glad to see more interest in V9s!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:44:04 PM »

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Please keep us updated!

I am interest in how V9 does for long trips! And compare how it is to a V7 :D
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »
Long Trips?  I guess I am an adventurer... In 1971, I rode My BSA 441 Victor to Cleveland from New Mexico. On the way back, I made it to my girlfirends house in Michigan before it blew up (8,000 miles). Got it repaired, and I made it to Ft Scott, Kansas before it puttered to a stop again. My Father and Brother came out to haul me back from Kansas, and I had the bike repaired so I could trade it in on a new '72 beetle. Ok... so my early efforts at long distance were fairly pathetic.
    But I recovered. Took my Harley Softail to Alaska in 2001, again to Canada in 02 and o3. Then, a BMW 2004 R1150rt for 3 years to Canada. I am going to buy the new V9 to take another Alaska trip, and I think it will be the perfect bike for that. I have a new set of Craven Bags and top box coming from the UK to put on the V9, and I am excited about that being the perfect road bike (with the addition of a good windshield). What makes a good long haul bike? I guess what I want is one that will go long distance before a breakdown. My 1949 Velocette 350 would not make the cut (even though that was my favorite bike!)... but the new Harley Softail that I have would probably make it anywhere. Moto Guzzi has perfected their bikes to be about the best of all the crowd out there. Of course, I am still partial to bikes like the retro Triumphs, but, even that makes me uncomfortable... saw a 2 year old Bonneville with rusty head nuts for sale at a premium price. Ah well, maybe that is not so bad... for it is British.   Lee Davis

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
I like the v9, have fun!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
Dang Lee thats cool good to see you still riding an living live.
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
Add another V9 voice. Got my Roamer last July after years of riding and loving the big block Californias. 12K so far on the Roamer. Torqey all the way through, quick, maneuverable, Fun To Ride; so far, so good.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AscvM-1Q-K7Tf1HR-VqSdb4Vyas

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Lee Davis is buying a V9
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
added some content to you subject line...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

twowings

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
I like your plans!! That will be a great ride...interested to see someone tour a V9...keep us informed and take pics, please... :thumb:

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Add another V9 voice. Got my Roamer last July after years of riding and loving the big block Californias. 12K so far on the Roamer. Torqey all the way through, quick, maneuverable, Fun To Ride; so far, so good.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AscvM-1Q-K7Tf1HR-VqSdb4Vyas
Sharp bike!  How are the HB panniers working out?
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
I like your plans!! That will be a great ride...interested to see someone tour a V9...keep us informed and take pics, please... :thumb:

I would guess if you can tour on a V7 with bags/etc...then touring on a V9 should be easily doable as well...maybe even "smoother"... (hey Prescott...maybe a V9 in your future?)  :)
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
Long Trips?  I guess I am an adventurer... In 1971, I rode My BSA 441 Victor to Cleveland from New Mexico. On the way back, I made it to my girlfirends house in Michigan before it blew up (8,000 miles). Got it repaired, and I made it to Ft Scott, Kansas before it puttered to a stop again. My Father and Brother came out to haul me back from Kansas, and I had the bike repaired so I could trade it in on a new '72 beetle. Ok... so my early efforts at long distance were fairly pathetic.
    But I recovered. Took my Harley Softail to Alaska in 2001, again to Canada in 02 and o3. Then, a BMW 2004 R1150rt for 3 years to Canada. I am going to buy the new V9 to take another Alaska trip, and I think it will be the perfect bike for that. I have a new set of Craven Bags and top box coming from the UK to put on the V9, and I am excited about that being the perfect road bike (with the addition of a good windshield). What makes a good long haul bike? I guess what I want is one that will go long distance before a breakdown. My 1949 Velocette 350 would not make the cut (even though that was my favorite bike!)... but the new Harley Softail that I have would probably make it anywhere. Moto Guzzi has perfected their bikes to be about the best of all the crowd out there. Of course, I am still partial to bikes like the retro Triumphs, but, even that makes me uncomfortable... saw a 2 year old Bonneville with rusty head nuts for sale at a premium price. Ah well, maybe that is not so bad... for it is British.   Lee Davis

heh Thanks for the detail background!

Personally, I sat on a V9 in the dealership the past few weeks and I love how comfortable the ergo it is to me...a bit more than V7 if you ask me.

The smaller tank WAS a bit disappointed but I can see why they did that for the bobber crowd. V7's big tank is one of the reason why it sold on me.

Well, let see how she performs on the road. If I am not mistaken, she is still a small block?...wonder how she pulls with loads :)
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
Congrats, Lee and good for you!! :thumb:  The V9 is a cool bike!  :1: An adventure ride as you described on the V9 will be fabulous!  :cool: I am jealous! :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
I would guess if you can tour on a V7 with bags/etc...then touring on a V9 should be easily doable as well...maybe even "smoother"... (hey Prescott...maybe a V9 in your future?)  :)
I should think that the V9 would do the trip comfortably. A mate did 6,000 km on a hired Roamer in Europe last year & was impressed, & he a biased Cali rider. There's a couple on a local facebook page & their owners are more than happy with their machines.

The only downside I can see is the size of the tank, a longer range would be better. On my trip around Australia on the V7's last year (30,000 km) I had a few awkward moments with the V7C's 15 L tank & 300km range, but it managed anyway. I have since replaced the tank with the 21L version from the later models & all is well. The small tank will do it OK, you just have to take every opportunity to fill up.

On that last trip, both the V7C & the V7S had one flat tyre each - the rear tyre - the Beadbkr kit from BestRest Products was invaluable - all the tools to replace the tube on the side of the road. Practice in doing so before the trip gives confidence in the ability to manage comfortably.

Just in case the bike falls over along the way, I usually pack a spare set of brake & clutch levers & one or two spare indicators. A spare clutch cable can come in handy, as does a spare oil & air filter - they can be hard to source just when you need to change the oils. A power outlet for your electronics & another for heated liners are useful to have installed before leaving.

Good luck, you are bound to have a great time.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
I should think that the V9 would do the trip comfortably. A mate did 6,000 km on a hired Roamer in Europe last year & was impressed, & he a biased Cali rider. There's a couple on a local facebook page & their owners are more than happy with their machines.

The only downside I can see is the size of the tank, a longer range would be better. On my trip around Australia on the V7's last year (30,000 km) I had a few awkward moments with the V7C's 15 L tank & 300km range, but it managed anyway. I have since replaced the tank with the 21L version from the later models & all is well. The small tank will do it OK, you just have to take every opportunity to fill up.

On that last trip, both the V7C & the V7S had one flat tyre each - the rear tyre - the Beadbkr kit from BestRest Products was invaluable - all the tools to replace the tube on the side of the road. Practice in doing so before the trip gives confidence in the ability to manage comfortably.

Just in case the bike falls over along the way, I usually pack a spare set of brake & clutch levers & one or two spare indicators. A spare clutch cable can come in handy, as does a spare oil & air filter - they can be hard to source just when you need to change the oils. A power outlet for your electronics & another for heated liners are useful to have installed before leaving.

Mal
Some good advice there
On a trip to Alaska or the Artic Circle you might want a spare tire, a friend who did that trip recently sent a pair of dirt road tires ahead to Whitehorse. That's where a Roamer or V7 Stone would have an advantage with the same size wheel front and back one spare could be used for either wheel.
Carry a spare gas can on the V9 and your range will be equal to the large tank on the V7
We will definitely need a trip report on this one :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:28:13 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Lcarlson

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
I rode a V9 Roamer for the first time yesterday -- a loaner from my dealer. I was pretty favorably impressed. The power delivery is softer than my current bikes, but perfectly adequate, and very linear. Ride and handling were both pleasing, and I really liked the ergos, at least for my brief local rides. It's a nice package, at a nice price point.

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
Nic in Western NC - my HB panniers are working out. They fit the bike well and seem waterproof, but they're quite small (22 liters each). I knew when I bought the V9 I would have to learn to travel lighter than I'm used to with the large Givi cases I used on my Californias. I am now learning and practicing ultra-light motorcycling for the shorter trips. For extended trips/camping/rallies I strap a large Helen TwoWheels bag behind the solo seat and I can carry everything I need.

I am glad to read about Lee Davis' plan to outfit his Roamer for adventure touring. Based on my experience with my Roamer, the bike is up to the task.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
Good point about the tyres. On that last big trip I would phone ahead & order the tyres in. Around 3 or 5 days ahead. No problems at all. Seemed to be business as usual.

I have my luggage down to around 35kg. That's everything (& as usual, a bit more) - clothes for all seasons, tools, spare parts, camping, cooking, coffee, a bottle of red (travels well). I also always take a small daypack, one of those silnylon ones from the camping shops, to carry the groceries for dinner bought on the way through in the afternoon. Handy. Came to mind as I've started packing for the Ruptured Budgie - only going to be away a week or so.

twowings

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
Mr. Davis:

Here is a resource for shipping/staging your replacement tires...the guy who runs the place reportedly even gets out of bed or from the dinner table to help adventure bikers with tires and maintenance...HTH

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

gif hosting
[/url]
[/img]

Picked up the new V9 at the dealer Thursday (the day before yesterday) and rode it the 250 miles home, and I am delightfully pleased. I shall mount the panniers today, and I have a windshield coming. But, I suspect that I shall be using the Roamer for closer adventures than I had planned, for while I was looking around the showroom while they prepared the bike, I laid eyes on a 2016 Stelvio NTX. Sat on it, looked it over, began to admire it. I have always been a fan of the BMW GS, and often thought of getting one, but never did. The Stelvio looks to be a nice cut above the BMW, and so, after an evening thinking about it I called the dealer and told him I would take it. I fly down again this Thursday. Of course, it will be the ideal bike to take to Alaska, but I still have the feeling that I should be apologizing to the V9...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:40:30 PM by Lee Davis »

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Keep the reports coming, I am getting ready to sell my Breva for a V9 Purchase, the Breva is just getting too heavy for my old bones.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »
Need to retitled the thread!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
Jackpot! Perhaps the best of both worlds. Enjoy the Stelvio - 'tho be careful not to take the kitchen sink along just because it can carry it easily.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »
Sounds like a great combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
Well, let see how she performs on the road. If I am not mistaken, she is still a small block?...wonder how she pulls with loads :)

I understood that the V9 is a completely new motor, neither a big block nor a small block. :undecided:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 03:47:04 AM »
Great to see some new forum members supporting the V9. Sounds like you're going to put some miles on it too and and not just farkle the guts out of it then sell it with 1500 miles on the clock. Good luck and hope you thoroughly enjoy your new bike/s guys. My Guzzi is ten years old now and I'm starting to wonder....??

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »

Mal
The only time my mate ran out on our Aussie lap was leaving Exmouth heading clockwise. Although he was on a R1100s BMW WITH 18 litres.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 05:11:10 AM »
Nanutarra is only 275k - perhaps the servo was closed, perhaps he ran into some dirt diversions or he was.heavy on the throttle (understandable; there's not much between these two). Karatha to Port Hedland was 295, but I seemed to have made it with 600ml spare - must have ridden conservatively.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here