Author Topic: Welders  (Read 1892 times)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Welders
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
Thought I'd ask the collective here for advice about welders.

2 weeks ago, my close friend, Gearhead & drinking buddy was taken out by a brain hemorrhage.
Many times we combined these pursuits as we resolved the worlds problems, drinking beers & his favorite Bourbon as we took apart engines, chainsaws tractors etc.
Many times there was half a reason to weld something, which was enough for Jeff !

I hadn't got around to asking him in depth about his choice of welders, but he really liked the Lincoln Electric Pro Mig 135 and for the number of times I used it, I can see why. Easy to use, lays down a nice bead.
It may go to his step-son, I don't know how much interest he would have in it. We will see.

Mind you, Jeff was a hobbist and I am even less knowledgable of the subject, but for welding rebar, fixing tractors and making outdoor firepits. What machines do you like ?
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Pop

• Gosling
Re: Welders
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Several years ago I got serious about hobby welding. My harbor freight lightweight was less than adequate. I saved my pennies(. Lots and lots of pennies) and purchased a Hobart 140. It a 110 volt wire welder needing a 20 amp. supply. I couldn't be happier. I have welded over the suggested 5/16 " thickness. My only problem is the wire. Three different manufactures and the same problem. It seems to jam and bunch up in the box. It only has 5 heat settings but all are ok for a hobbiest. Around here(North east U.S.) they are carried by Tractor Supply.

Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

canuck750

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
I have had a Lincoln Easy Mig 180, a Miller stick welder and an Oxy/Acet set-up. Last year I sold the Lincoln and the Miller Thunderbolts and bought an ESAB Rebel. I kept the oxy/acet for heating and cutting.

http://www.esab.ca/ca/en/news/latest/esab-lauches-rebel-a-multi-process-welding-system-that-provides-industrial-quality-arc-performance-in-a-compact-and-portable-package.cfm

The ESAB Rebel is a Mig / Tig / Stick outfit and is very highly rated.

I 1st saw it on a Speed Vision TV show on Sunday morning, Hot Rod fab shop using it. This is a great machine, its digital control set up makes for idiot proof welding. It comes with a full TIG kit and a stick welder plug in as well. The bonus is it runs on both 110 and 220V power so it is truly portable.

Compared to my Lincoln the Rebel is miles ahead in ease of use for a hobbyist like myself. I have yet to try the TIG set-up but its on my to do list for this year.

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
Miller has the best support for "hobby" welders. Several new 110/220V multifunction welders in small packages.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »

Online Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Klutch 220si.. 

These are really good little units. Not that I would know from owning all the MK Products/Thermal Arc/Tweco//Esab/Miller/Hobart/Lincoln stuff over the years. You know generic Lincolns, like the C-300 Powerwaves/etc.. :grin:

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »
I have Miller for MIG and TIG.  My welders are at least 10 years old so the most current machines will have features that I don't.  That ESAB unit certainly looks attractive.  It would replace both of my current welders and appears to be idiot proof.  With that said, Miller and Lincoln will have the best support on the off chance you need a repair.  My welders have worked flawlessly but I have had to buy some consumables.  I suspect you could get those consumables online if they are not available locally.  As a general rule, buy a welder with a bit more power than you think you need.  A 140A unit might do everything you need.....but having a 200A means you can tackle that job you never anticipated.  Also, you do not want to have to upgrade later.  Used welders sell about as well as used Guzzi's.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
Picking up on a couple of comments;

The ESAB looks great but a quick search on the web came back with a price tag of $1500 -$2000 US.
Which is outside my budget.

The 2nd hand market perhaps should be where I should be looking if they don't resell very well.

Generally how do you guys use MIG & TIG differently ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:58:25 PM by nobleswood »
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
I TIG my aluminum and use MIG for most steel.  The exception is where I need more control of the heat...thinner stuff where TIG gives me more control of the heat.  Come to think of it, control is why I use TIG on Aluminum.  Once you get a puddle in AL it is all too easy to put in too much heat.

If/when I sell my welders I doubt that I'll get 40% of what they cost...maybe much less.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
110 Miller stick will handle all but 1/4 and up. Good for hobby and farm use

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm still using the Lincoln AC cracker box I bought in 1976. Like the Miller that Dan cites, these old stick welders are perfect for around the farm. However, for really fine work Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) units are best...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:09:45 AM »
Sorry for your loss.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here