Author Topic: Cleaning stuff  (Read 1795 times)

Offline sthomag

• Hatchling
Cleaning stuff
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
I'm always looking for easier ways to clean my machines, and recently stumbled on something that actually works.

S100 works OK but it's not terrific and it costs too much. But RainX Bug and Tar Remover is not only cheap, it really cleans well: things like dirty wheels and engine cases. The instructions say to use it as a spot remover, but it's cheap enough to just use it as a general cleaner. In any case, it's nice to paintwork, but really takes care of dried-on crud.

It's not spray-on, hose off: you do have to go over it with a cloth or brush. But you don't have to scrub at all, just wipe.

Just thought I'd put it out there.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cleaning stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »
To combat baked/dried on bugs on my bikes I simply park the bike in the shade and spray it w/ the garden hose. Sit down drink a beer and allow the swarf to re-hydrate. After a few minutes  spray the bike off again and a vast majority of the bugs are gone. Then wash with whatever soap/water solution I have handy and a clean soft cloth. When the wheels get really crudy especially the chain driven bikes a spritz of WD40 or PB plaster on some paper towels and wipe away.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
In the far north, when you stop the bike for gas the employees go over the bike and individually remove each bug splat.  They eat them.  By the time the bike is gassed and you've had coffee, it's bug-free.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
  Just ride through an acetone shower slowly.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
Can't remember who it was, Charlie M. maybe, that recommended Lemon Pledge for removing bugs and tar. I use it now and it works great and smells good too!
John D.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:29:27 PM »
Can't remember who it was, Charlie M. maybe, that recommended Lemon Pledge for removing bugs and tar. I use it now and it works great and smells good too!
John D.

Use regular Pledge if you do this - the lemon stuff attracts some bees and wasps...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
Original Bike Spirits aerosol detailer has been my favorite for years. Bugs, dirt, oil, etc come off quickly and an unstreaked, shiny finish remains. It even works on my Beemer's matte finish, restoring dirty surfaces to as-new condition. If you keep the cap on, you can even keep a can in a saddlebag without fear of leaking. This makes it perfect for a daily cleaning/inspecting of the bike after a day of touring (I've discovered a number of loosening bolts this way)...just bring along a new microfiber towel.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here