Author Topic: Commuting by Motorcycle?  (Read 6707 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Commuting by Motorcycle?
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »
Do any of you still commute by motorcycle? I mean riding regularly to and from work, not joy riding every once in a while out in the country.

I used to commute regularly by motorcycle, rain or shine. However, traffic has become so bad over the past couple of years that I have just about given up commuting by motorcycle. Every time I think it might be fun to ride to work again, I find I have to put my foot down 100 times on the "freeway". . . Traffic sucks the joy out of riding for me.

Saturday, I rode from Moto International in Seattle to our cabin in Olympia. Seattle traffic was a cakewalk compared to I-5 from Tacoma all the way down to Olympia. I started out thinking it would be fun to ride to work this coming week, but I soon change my mind. It took me nearly three hours to ride 80 some miles...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:22:08 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Commuting by Motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
Unfortunately, the greater Seattle-Tacoma area is regarded as one of the most congested traffic areas in the world, right in there with San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta and a few others. At least you don't have the smog now found in Asian cities!

I commute by motorcycle and have for years, but even the worst Las Vegas traffic is nowhere close to what you see. Matter of fact, the worst traffic in this area is the stretch from the NV-CA border at Primm to the Las Vegas strip - 60 miles of standing still on Friday afternoons (northbound) and most of Sunday (when they head home to California!).

I've previously been primarily a motorcycle commuter in San Antonio, Minneapolis, and even Edmonton (the last two about 8-9 months a year, depending on weather).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Crosspug

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
Ah the joys...

I made the mistake of commuting out of the city (Sydney, Australia) on Friday night heading down south for a nice weekend away. 2hr 15mins for 86kms (53miles).

Mostly the first hour was the worst. Then cleared up to my destination.

Coming home on Sunday, 1hr 22mins same trip... Much more fun.

Overall a good intro to the new bike which has otherwise been stuck doing the 12mile hop to and from work on a somewhat moving freeway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
If you don't ride in Calif. where the weather is usually in your favor and you can split lanes, or don't work in a metropolis, riding to work is no longer fun.  :sad:  The last time I worked it was 50 miles 1 way in norCal but it only took me 1 hour because most the way was not in a city.  Before that I lived on the perimeter of the city but my hours were 9 to 6 so only on Fridays was traffic really an issue and even then I could split lanes if it was necessary.

Legal lane splitting(filtering) makes such a difference.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:31:44 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
I guess I am getting old! Why, I remember when some of the freeways were built in my neck of the woods. Very few cars back then. Strangely, it seems no new freeways have been built since!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 04:21:26 AM »
There's always a High-Traffic time and a Low-Traffic time.  I commute by bike in Sacramento and have learned to alter my route and time of commute for speed and safety. 

Also in California you have lane splitting.  which is no mean feat on a Griso
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
I commute here in LA more or less all year.  If it is actually raining in the morning I normally drive, but that is maybe 20 days a year.

My commute is pretty easy.  7 miles each way and it normally takes me about 7 or 8 minutes.  I used to have my office closer to home but moved it a few more miles away to get a better ride in.

A big reason I bought the V7iii was for this commute.  The 5 plus gallon tank and the shaft drive on a nimble bike makes for a near perfect commuter.

And put a foot down on a freeway? We consider that an embarrassment here.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:13:35 AM »
Everyday on the Stelvio.  Live in the Virginia 'burbs, work in D.C. 
Tim

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »
In most cases, I can't see advantages over a used Honda Civic.
I consider commute miles to be "crap" miles as in most cases the same route is taken day in and out. Half that time in the dark, dicing it out w/ pre- occupied sleepy cagers running late..
Throw in the cost per mile in tires, and the math don't add up.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:31 AM »
I'm retired now, so I don't really commute anymore. However, I have in the past and the conclusion I came to was that safe, enjoyable commuting really depends on where you are. When I lived in Albuquerque I rode to work either by moto or bicycle just about every day. The weather was agreeable and the route was relatively short. Here in the New Orleans area on the other hand, commuting was tough. My route was 45 miles long, including a 24 mile long bridge over Lake Ponchartrain. The bridge made bad weather a show-stopper, as it was regularly closed to motorcycles. Other cities I lived in had similar pros and cons: Knoxville was great, but Houston was awful...location is everything.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 06:25:58 AM »
Every freaking day. Why?
  • It's a long walk
  • It's not just a commute ... it's an adventure

Here in DullAware it very rarely drops below five degrees in Winter, and helmets are optional in Summer.
 :bike-037:
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »
In most cases, I can't see advantages over a used Honda Civic.
I consider commute miles to be "crap" miles as in most cases the same route is taken day in and out. Half that time in the dark, dicing it out w/ pre- occupied sleepy cagers running late..
Throw in the cost per mile in tires, and the math don't add up.

They're definitely crap miles in my case, but they're even crappier in a car!
Tim

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
Been riding to work over 25 years in fact haven't owned a 4 wheeler in that time frame I just invest in good rain gear and hi viz , but the most dangerous commute was living on st croix usvi with the triumph sidecar with all the pot holes and stoned Rastaman

Tim Henry
Ponte Vedra Beach Florida
2015 griso rosso

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:48 AM »
I'm fortunate enough to live and work outside the worst traffic zones, and don't have to go through said bad traffic zones.

That said, I commute most days between late March and the first snow whenever that occurs anywhere form mid-December on.    If the roads are dry in the morning, and < 70% chance of rain in the afternoon, I ride.    I'll commute in the winter if the roads are dry, and not covered in salt/brine.     I usually get a dozen or two of commuting days in the winter.

Having to go to work sucks.    It sucks less if you do it on a motorcycle.   :bike-037:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »
While living in the EU the past six years, I commuted by bike if I was not using public transportation. The difference between attitudes of non-motorcyclists in the USA versus most European nations is massive: Drivers in other nations often move over to let bikes pass, in most nations it is expected for bikes to thread to the front of a queue at traffic lights, and most drivers are trained to not only watch out for bikes but also give them space. Motorcycle-only parking is often provided near sites of high traffic, and no one ever complained when I parked on the sidewalk. In short, bikes make a sensible transportation option, not simply something fun to do occasionally. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the same thing in the USA?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
In short, bikes make a sensible transportation option, not simply something fun to do occasionally. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the same thing in the USA?

They ARE a sensible transportation option, but it's not going to happen in the USA.    In Europe and the UK, bikes are a tried-and-true, well-understood since 1920 transportation option and most everyone understands.

In the USA, they are now and have always been bad-boy, Hells Angels, Wild One, Psycho Bikers From Hell, Sons of Anarchy, Wild Hog toys and butt jewelry for the posers (present company excluded of course).   So no one is going to cut us any slack on the road except out of fear (like the folks in the Winnebago in the famous video who didn't stop to help the guy who ran into the gully because there were other bikes and "They'll Kick Our Asses!").

It's a shame but we're not going to change 100 years of culture as long as fuel is $2.00 a gallon, the standard man's commute and recreational vehicle is a Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually at $75,000, and people have more money than they know what to do with .....  Not saying we should force or legislate culture change, but us motorcyclists are just going to have to continue to live with Things As They Are out on the road ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
I motorbike commuted on I-405 near Seattle for 20 years, but have given up this year. I worry about cooking my engine. The carpool lane is so bad, it offers no advantage. The DOT has screwed it up in so many ways that I can't justify riding the bike while I have a company car with a\c and other amenities.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:42 AM »
I commute with favorable weather forecasts (less than 50% chance of rain) it's 25 miles one-way and I only take the super slab for about 2 miles then it's just state highways and county roads, really a pretty fun ride with some round-a-bouts for good measure. This year I've gotten caught in the rain a few times but I figure it's good to get some wet weather riding in just to keep those skills up. If it weren't for commuting, I'd get very few miles in at all.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
I still commute, some days. Mostly for fun. I have a short 18 mile trip one way. I avoid the highway on the way in (afternoon shift) or if I'm driving the sidecar. I do risk the freeway on the way home if I'm on the solo Bonneville, or a bike that will do 80 easily. I did it for years with a 250 Honda Helix. Now that I'm in my mid 60s, I take the 39.9 mpg Nissan Versa if it is 95 degrees or warmer, or raining. I also take my 4x4 PU every Friday. Too many hopped up drivers around here on a Friday night at midnight, plus my route takes me right through 'Leetle May Hee Co'  :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

Last summer, my office saw four to six bikes in the parking lot every work day.

This year, one is rare.

Increased traffic congestion, dangerous work zones, aggressive drivers, inattentive drivers.

Several reasons for us all, I'm sure.  But yeah, I've quit commuting because it just isn't fun in my little metro, anymore.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
I asked a friend in Knoxville about his criteria for commuting by motorcycle. He replied that he used the "40/40 Protocol." When I asked what the 40/40 was about, he answered, "I ride if it's above 40 degrees and the chance of rain is less than 40%." I thought that was a pretty good way to go about motorcycle commuting...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »
I did commute to work on a bike for a total of about 20 years.  But, I never rode in stop and go rush hour stuff.  I was lucky that my route was either not in heavy traffic areas or I could adjust my work hours so I was not in the rush hours.

I have been caught in heavy traffic a few times.  Really not fun at all, especially when the temps outside are over 100F.  On a couple of those I got off the road and went to a restaurant to eat dinner until the traffic cleared.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
I am a fairly new motorcycle commuter...mostly summer/fall type :P

My traffic is almost as bad as the OP as Vancouver BC's lovely housing situation pushes everyone out toward the suburbs and work within a few major cities.

I wish there are less stop as well but I personally rather spend time stuck on my 2 wheels and work my way there than stuck in my 4 and bored the shit out of my mind.

During winter, I have "no choice" as when the rain & snow hits, people will treat it as a hell-a-gadon when the first snow flake hits the ground. So  when I can hop on the 2 wheels and twist the throttle during the summer/fall time, I will take any opportunities to do so...stuck in traffic or out on the open road.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »
I have a 100 mile round trip commute from east Texas to my workplace in Dallas.  I do it every work day, year round, regardless of weather.  On the few occasions when it's too bad for me to ride to work (ice storms, hail, tornados), I figure it's too hazardous to drive the car too, so I stay home.

In addition, I travel a lot for work, and if I can get there in a day's ride, I'll always take the bike.  Houston, Austin, Beaumont, even New Orleans.  Heck, a few times I've even done work trips to Atlanta on a bike.   If I have to fly somewhere, I'm still riding the bike to DFW airport, which is about 65 miles from my house. 

Why do this?   Mostly because I love riding, and on many days the two best parts of my day are the ride in and the ride home.  It is a very reliable stress-reliever.   A long commute on a motorcycle is a pleasure for me----the exact same commute in a car is simply torture.

I think this started for me 30 years ago when I was in my late teens and early 20s.  I had a 90 mile round trip commute to college, I owned a good motorcycle, and I did not own any cars.   Just got in the habit I suppose. 

I'm not sure there's a huge financial savings in commuting by motorcycle, as least compared to driving a beater Corolla.   On the other hand, I've already invested a lot of money in bikes and associated gear, so I might as well get the use out of the stuff I've bought anyway.  Financially, I've chosen to have some nice bikes for my commute, and I have not purchased nice cars for my commute--so I'm really just spending "car money" to enjoy something better, like motorcycles. 

Secrets for success?   You need great gear--I've got Sidi waterproof boots, Aerostich pants and jacket, good gloves and rain covers for the gloves.  Electric vest for winter. 

I also think it helps if you just dedicate yourself to doing this.    I don't have a daily debate about the weather or consider other factors while trying to decide "do I take the bike in today?"   No, it's just a given that I'm riding.   If it's always a day-to-day decision whether to take the bike, you wind up taking a car most of the time because it's hot and you prefer A/C, or it might rain, etc. 

Safety is the only serious downside for me.  Cell phone and text use has gotten noticeably worse.   On the other hand, I've strategically chosen the safest possible route to my destination, and I've made it my mission to carefully "study" that route over the years so I know exactly where the usual trouble spots are, where my escape paths are, etc. 

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I feel that I keep myself pretty sharp by riding all the time, and objectively speaking, I almost never have what I would describe as a "close call" when it comes to traffic.   

What mostly worries me about my commute are more "freakish" accident scenarios---a deep jumping out at dusk, or me not seeing some spilled diesel on a wet road.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:53:27 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
From April to October the bike becomes my main transportation. During riding season I put about the same number of miles per month on my bike as we put on our car any month of the year. My commute is about 20 km one way across Edmonton. Traffic is not too bad here, so my 30 min. ride to and from work is usually a great relaxation for me.  Rough roads are always a challenge here, but the City is gradually repaving a lot of the worst ones, so that helps some. Potholes and sand are still hazards to watch out for in the spring though!

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
From April to October the bike becomes my main transportation. During riding season I put about the same number of miles per month on my bike as we put on our car any month of the year. My commute is about 20 km one way across Edmonton. Traffic is not too bad here, so my 30 min. ride to and from work is usually a great relaxation for me.  Rough roads are always a challenge here, but the City is gradually repaving a lot of the worst ones, so that helps some. Potholes and sand are still hazards to watch out for in the spring though!

After riding to Alberta from BC numerous time,  all I can say yes you guys have a awesome roads... constantly paved
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:57:24 PM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline KraZ440

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
I'm north of Seattle and I commute on my bike, sometimes. I'm lucky to be able to start work after the worst of the rush-hour traffic is over. If I take the slab (I-405), I'll hop in the car-pool lane (which will usually keep my minimum speed up to something reasonable during these times). If the traffic is heavy, I'll usually take the back roads (although the back roads can get pretty busy at times, too). If I have to commute during the worst part of rush-hour, I take the cage and leave the bike at home (I see too many rear-ends by the side of the road to be in the middle of that mess on my bike).
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1982 Kawasaki KZ440

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
Increased traffic congestion, dangerous work zones, aggressive drivers, inattentive drivers.

Several reasons for us all, I'm sure.  But yeah, I've quit commuting because it just isn't fun in my little metro, anymore.

I've lived in the Columbia, SC area for about 25 years now. When I first moved here I commuted by bike everyday, rain or shine. Enjoyed it for the first 20 years. Now, the last 5 years, I rarely commute by bike. For all the reasons Rocker listed above. Local population growth and lacking infrastructure are creating a nightmare. It's almost safer riding a bicycle to work.......almost.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
I commute by bike once or twice a week.  I like the variety of it.  If I did it every day, it might start to feel like a grind. 

My other commuter vehicle is a ferry from Larkspur, Marin to San Francisco, paid for by my work.  Not everything in my life is perfect right now, but when it comes to commuting I'm a lucky SOB.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »
I'm north of Seattle and I commute on my bike, sometimes. I'm lucky to be able to start work after the worst of the rush-hour traffic is over. If I take the slab (I-405), I'll hop in the car-pool lane (which will usually keep my minimum speed up to something reasonable during these times). If the traffic is heavy, I'll usually take the back roads (although the back roads can get pretty busy at times, too). If I have to commute during the worst part of rush-hour, I take the cage and leave the bike at home (I see too many rear-ends by the side of the road to be in the middle of that mess on my bike).

Rear-end collisions are a constant worry, especially when "freeway" traffic yo-yo's between 70 mph and a dead stop.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here