Author Topic: Keeping track of offenders and ex-offenders  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Keeping track of offenders and ex-offenders
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
This link may help you if you want to keep track and have input into an offenders outcome. If they go to prison in your state and have been a victim, you may want some input into their release.  Your choice.

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initMap.do
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Keeping track of offenders and ex-offenders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
How does one become an ex offender?
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »
Once you commit the offense I never knew you could undo it... :boozing:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
An ex-offender is how you become an ex.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
An ex-offender is one who, having the desire to get his shit together, does so, and gets a job and becomes a law abiding taxpayer.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
  And here I thought it was one who offended an ex.  I. E. a divorced wife beater who harasses his ex.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »
An ex-offender is one who has maxed out his sentence and served his time or is currently working on serving his time.  Those of you who have an ex-spouse that offends you is your problem.  :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
An ex-offender is one who, having the desire to get his shit together, does so, and gets a job and becomes a law abiding taxpayer.

Really now ... does that ever happen?   I mean in real life?   

I thought you said you made them smarter, not more moral .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »

Lannis

Having worked in corrections for years, I can honestly say I have seen a few actually get out and get their poop in a group.  The vast majority, not so much.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
The link was for anyone interested in keeping tabs on these people. 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
 :1:

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »

Lannis
It happens quite a lot actually. The most important factor is employment. If a paroled convicts gets and keeps a job he is less likely to re-offend. The more access he has to drug rehab adds to his chances. I didn't try to teach morals. I tried to teach common sense and problem solving.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
It happens quite a lot actually. The most important factor is employment. If a paroled convicts gets and keeps a job he is less likely to re-offend. The more access he has to drug rehab adds to his chances. I didn't try to teach morals. I tried to teach common sense and problem solving.

For the guys I've known and tried to help, it's the "keeping" a job that's the hard part.   I've known guys who "want to" do well, and they interview well, and they get a job ....

.... but they are constitutionally incapable of showing up for work on a regular basis.    If it's not drug and alcohol problems, it's the fact that they've never in their lives seen a positive male role model who has gotten and kept and SHOWN UP FOR a real job.    One guy lost three jobs in succession because he missed over 5 days in the first 90-day probation period on EACH job, and got fired as a result.   

I guess that they don't realize that the company NEEDS them to be there and work so that the company can make money and HE can make a paycheck.   They think the whole world is a welfare program, and it doesn't really matter if you work or not ... ?

Lannis

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Its not a new idea, but I have to wonder why so little public money is invested into education and training (for youth and adults) when the outcomes generally mean a safer, healthier society and economy... rather than pouring money into failing prison/ correctional facilities.  Certainly its a complex issue and I admittedly haven't any answers.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
Its not a new idea, but I have to wonder why so little public money is invested into education and training (for youth and adults) when the outcomes generally mean a safer, healthier society and economy... rather than pouring money into failing prison/ correctional facilities.  Certainly its a complex issue and I admittedly haven't any answers.
It is because we want all our little darlings to go to college. God help us if we want to promote vocational education.  It seems that having a vocational program in your school is elitist. Those folks ought to watch the "Frasier" episode where the two highly educated psychiatrists need a plumber. I tell my students that if they want to stay out of trouble and make some good money they need to learn a trade.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »
Damnit.

Another dearly held belief shattered.

Dusty, I would not have known it if you hadn't told me so, and I'm not even certain that I wholly believe you.

You'll always be the smartest guy in the room to me, no matter what anybody says.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
Frankly, I think we're all dull knifes in the drawer.  I pay attention to everyone.  You never know.  :evil:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:45 AM »
You have a gerbil?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
It is because we want all our little darlings to go to college. God help us if we want to promote vocational education.  It seems that having a vocational program in your school is elitist. Those folks ought to watch the "Frasier" episode where the two highly educated psychiatrists need a plumber. I tell my students that if they want to stay out of trouble and make some good money they need to learn a trade.

That IS a big problem.   I used to be on our Vocational Education Advisory Committee for our county some years back, and then got elected to our school board, and I was right in the middle of the fight.

It's really surprising when you support vocational education, how many loud people protest that you are trying to "force" kids into "trade school" for the benefit of "greedy businessmen" who need "blue collar workers".    They seem to think that every kid should/must/wants to go to college, maybe to get a degree in French Lit that will never get them a job anywhere.   

But investing in educational programs or training curricula is never going to help any kid who, for two or three generations back, has never seen a wage-earning positive father figure in his life.    Work?   What's that?   Who does that?   What kind of punk is going to get up every morning and slave away all day for "The Man"?   

Lack of "Programs" is not the problem .....

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
I think the biggest problem is the lack of good parenting.  Looks like a large number is defaulting to electronics.

biking sailor

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Interesting on the University vs Vocational training discussion.  Just this week I was talking with my 21 year old son and several of his friends from high school.  They were stressing out about "making it big" after finishing their degrees from state colleges in a year or so.  I dawned on me that these kids have been told things to boost their self-esteem since kindergarten such as "your future is unlimited", "nothing you can't achieve", "you can be great"...  It looked to me like it was having the opposite effect in how stressed they were about their future.

I reminded them of what I had told them when I coached them in sports, that the best players on the two teams tend to cancel each other out, and the games are often won by how well the non-star (weaker) players do.  How the "Greatest Generation" was credited with winning WWII not because they were super human or anything like that, but those young men just stepped up and did the terrible job they had to do, and as an army of many, changed the course of history.

I really think education and society should tell the kids the truth, that they don't have to be exceptional to do well.  All they really have to do is prepare themselves for a job, follow the process' the boss wants them to do with an attention to detail, and show up for work everyday on time.  If they do these things they can make a decent living and enjoy a good life.  That's what the vast majority successful people do.  They don't have to come up with the next Facebook or start Apple.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
I think sometimes that the push to academia rather than vocational training has to do with the perception of wealth.  There was a time when copious consumption was admired -- morbidly obese families were wealthy enough to afford lots of food.  Royals dripped in jewelry while their serfs dripped sweat.  Those displays are losing favor and morphing into overindulged children, faddish consumer goods, and kids in college -- all displays of excess wealth and leisure time.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »

I really think education and society should tell the kids the truth, that they don't have to be exceptional to do well.  All they really have to do is prepare themselves for a job, follow the process' the boss wants them to do with an attention to detail, and show up for work everyday on time.  If they do these things they can make a decent living and enjoy a good life. 

My parents taught me that.   "Education and Society" had little to do with it, as far as I remember .... ?

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
One of the biggest misconceptions is that many equate having money as the same as having happiness.  All it means is that you're unhappy with more stuff.

biking sailor

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
One of the biggest misconceptions is that many equate having money as the same as having happiness.  All it means is that you're unhappy with more stuff.

Big difference between wealthy and comfortable.  While money won't buy happiness, it's hard to enjoy life it you don't have the money for necessities, food, clothing, and shelter.  Being unemployed with no prospects (lack of marketable skills in a depressed economy) can be quite stressful.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »
Being unemployed with no prospects (lack of marketable skills in a depressed economy) can be quite stressful.

That's true.   But we have billions of dollars worth of "programs" to make the acquisition of marketable skills possible for anyone, so you would think that no one would be in that position you describe for long.

You and I and this list (people with jobs and ISPs and Guzzis and homes), if we suddenly found ourselves alone in the middle of the street with only the clothes on our back, no friends, no money, no home ... we'd be back "on our feet" in pretty short order.   We'd apply at a local shelter for food and a roof, and we would follow the rules that would allow us to stay there.   (Strike One for many homeless).    We'd sign up for a training program that would pay us a small stipend to go to school and work a job - a piss-poor job, but a job.  (Strike Two for the terminally unemployed - they're not going to be anyone's "boy" or bust their butt for "The Man", or maybe they don't want to quit drinking ...).   And we'd hang in there, and show up for work, and get a better, real, job, and rent an apartment, even if it meant moving to St Louis or WHEREVER the job was (Strike Three - people want to stay right where they are and not go where the work is).

We can't even think like they do, not any more. 

It's just like I can't think like our company CEO.   He started out in the mail room, worked his way up, now making $500K a year and probably $2M in the bank.   ME, if I had that, I'd quit working RIGHT THEN and invest my money in annuities and retire and never work again, but the guy who has the capability to GET to that level doesn't think like me - he's not working for the money, he's working for power and prestige and I can't think like that - just like the homeless guy can't think like I do ....

But people have such a hard time putting themselves in someone else's shoes ....

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »
 :1:

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
" we would follow the rules that would allow us to stay there.   (Strike One for many homeless)." That's fine. However, most homeless are mentally ill and are unable to follow any rules without treatment. The only treatment the homeless mentally ill receive is that mandated by the courts once they wind up in prison. California has 36+ state prisons and only 3 state mental hospitals.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »
Unfortunately the majority of health care for the mentally ill is carried out by the jails in the U.S.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
" we would follow the rules that would allow us to stay there.   (Strike One for many homeless)." That's fine. However, most homeless are mentally ill and are unable to follow any rules without treatment. The only treatment the homeless mentally ill receive is that mandated by the courts once they wind up in prison. California has 36+ state prisons and only 3 state mental hospitals.

Totally agree that most homeless are mentally ill and unable to follow the rules that would allow them food and shelter.

So what do we do?   Unless a homeless person is an immediate danger to himself or others, or demonstrably violent, he CAN'T be "committed" to a mental institution - it violates his civil rights.   But if he's left on the street, he eventually WILL become a danger to himself or others, and ends up in jail.

In the meantime, people who don't understand the situation are all like "Why are so many homeless on the streets in the richest country in the world?"   We've got places for ALL of them, but they won't stay in the ones that aren't jails, and then they end UP in jail .....

No easy solution.

Lannis

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here