Author Topic: Can't STAND dry, un-adjusted chains...(NGC)  (Read 12607 times)

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Can't STAND dry, un-adjusted chains...(NGC)
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »
No chain on a motorcycle period, for me.
Why? Modern chains and lubes are much different than they were years ago.
How do you change your gearing?
Kirk

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
the Yamaha FJR and Honda VFR come to mind as great chain driven touring bikes.
Whatever, if you consider those fine Touring bikes there is nowhere to go from here for for me. I'm afraid some here needs to grease their chains, lol, I'm going to bed on this one:)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
Whatever, if you consider those fine Touring bikes there is nowhere to go from here for for me. I'm afraid some here needs to grease their chains, lol, I'm going to bed on this one:)
my bad.. brain fart I guess, those two (FJR, VFR) are shaft drive..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
my bad.. brain fart I guess, those two (FJR, VFR) are shaft drive..
Lol, no problem Foto, I wasn't going to mention that:) all kidding aside about the sport touring type of bikes, I have also had a desire to try one of them, but I have found in my walk in life that hybrid machines are really not real good at either. I have a fish and ski boat that's not really good at either, especially the fishing part:(
A ridding buddy recently tried the Yamaha sport tourer, I can't say which model but it was 1300cc. He went on a couple trips with us and sold it. He said he just couldn't adjust from his years on his Harley electric glide. That said if I could find a 1100 Honda sport tourer I'd love to try one. Oh wait, it has a shaft, lol, just kidding:)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:53:20 PM by Ncdan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
Chain on this one also.

Interesting.....I wonder how and WHY they turned the longitudinal crank output thru 90-deg to create the sprocket output?

And BTW, my intent with this post was NOT to create a shaft/vs chain debate, but it HAS been interesting! I have no fear of chain drive on a road bike, I just don't like to see them all shiny or rusty. I've seen chromed chains that to me look AWFUL, because a chain should leave dirt on your hands if you touch it. Just the waaaaaay it should be.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
 Many years ago a greasy chain may have saved my lifestyle... I was  dating a girl for 1-1/2 years...She wanted a get a commitment from me, you know, marriage and kids  in the near future....I had greasy hands from messing with the chain..She cornered me  " Is it always going to be greasy bikes or will you clean up ?"  I didn't want to lose her but I hesitated and lost her....

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Many years ago a greasy chain may have saved my lifestyle... I was  dating a girl for 1-1/2 years...She wanted a get a commitment from me, you know, marriage and kids  in the near future....I had greasy hands from messing with the chain..She cornered me  " Is it always going to be greasy bikes or will you clean up ?"  I didn't want to lose her but I hesitated and lost her....
Maybe I should have looked at things differently now that I can clearly now see a definite benefit of a greasy old chain. I formally withdraw my expression of negativity against a chain driven bike.
Still don't want one on my tourer 😎

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 04:18:29 PM »

That was a close call then!   The answer was "There's always going to be greasy bikes around ...  You in or not?"

I picked up my girl for our first date on a greasy motorcycle (well, a 2 stroke with oily pipes and a greasy chain), she's been dealing with greasy hands and greasy clothes since, and that was 46 years ago ..... !   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
  Well, I didn't learn from the experience ...I would up married to a woman that also didn't really  greasy chains. but it didn't last...However, the last 30 years have spent with a woman who approves of greasy chains ....So the chain drive guided me to a better place... :bow:

Offline BlizzGuzz

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the Tutoro chain oiler? Its operation is automatic, but mechanical instead of electrical or vacuum-driven. I'm considering buying one.

Moto

Tutoro auto. chainolier on my second KTM 1290 SA. Has never failed, works like a charm  :thumb::

Setup on my previous 1290 SA (MY 2015):

Setup on my current 1290 SA_S (MY 2018):

I let the photos speak for themselves.
My experience so far after approx. 2000 km is that the front sprocket nozzle mount is by far the best with less oil fling than the rear nozzle mount.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:24:33 AM by BlizzGuzz »

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
Anyone else amazed by the longevity of this thread on a board dedicated to shaft drive motorcycles??????????

Offline BlizzGuzz

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
Anyone else amazed by the longevity of this thread on a board dedicated to shaft drive motorcycles??????????
As a previous MG Stelvio owner I'm pretty surprised myself...  :wink:.

Moto

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
I let the photos speak for themselves.
My experience so far after approx. 2000 km is that the front sprocket nozzle mount is by far the best with less oil fling than the rear nozzle mount.

Thanks! GREAT series of photos. I'll think more about my installation because of them.

Moto

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
Is that ATF in there or 10-60 Motrul? Or better yet strawberry syrup.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline BlizzGuzz

• New Egg
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
Is that ATF in there or 10-60 Motrul? Or better yet strawberry syrup.
A question for me, right?
Well... he-he-he... not strawberry syrup, no...  :wink:.
It's actually Tutoro oil for hot conditions which we've had a lot of this summer here in Norway  :grin:.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:43:00 PM by BlizzGuzz »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »
After doing over 200,000 miles on a bike that had 4 chains whizzing around I am now a committed shaft drive exponent.

I only used Renolds chains on the Matchy and had a pan filled with a mix of oil and grease which I would heat and throw the rear chain at least in, then allow to drain. I got something like 40,000 miles out of the chain.

The Honda GB 400 I had had a oil seal chain. I surfaced lubed with Castrol chain lube, but at about 28,000 kms I noticed that links were seizing. I heated the chain in a pan of WD40 to get the lube in, then destroyed the oil seals by prolonged heating with my lube mix. The chain was not actually worn and after the treatment the chain worked fine. It did however neat the bulk treatment after that as the O-rings were stuffed.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
As an aside, as a former keen mountain biker whose interest has been severely curtailed by body malfunctions, I am keenly aware of chain maintenance.

I do a bit of gardening for a friend, and at the time I do it a university lecturer cycles off to work. I couldn't help but hear and notice that the chain was a ball of rust. I threw my lubes +WD40 in the truck and next time he cycled off I stopped him, threw the bike upside down and first used the WD40 to penetrate the rust then gave it a liberal coat of bike chain wet lube. Got rid of the excess and sent him on his way.

Next time I saw him he was amazed at how smooth the bike felt and thought I was a mechanical genius! :grin: :grin: :grin: Sigh, I wish. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »

YES! I am amazed and proud that a subject of my annoyance could provoke such interest! Not as much mud-slinging about methods of lube as I expected, but I guess that's a good thing!

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
As an aside, as a former keen mountain biker whose interest has been severely curtailed by body malfunctions, I am keenly aware of chain maintenance.

I couldn't help but hear and notice that the chain was a ball of rust.

Me too, again! I really became interested in lube when I started mtn biking, and my current preference is for a wax-based lube that congeals and flings off along with the dirt, but requires frequent re-application. This would be too frequent for motorcycle use, probably one of the reasons it hasn't been adopted (or maybe it has? I am not familiar with wax-based motorcycle lubes).

The noisy, rusty condition is the basis for my original post, although the motorcycle that prompted it was certainly not to this point.

Now time for this thread to come to a quiet end.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »

I'm not surprised at all. Don't kid yourself, the issue of chain verses shaft/belt is as long lived as the motorcycle itself.

Throw rocks at either and you can be sure to get an earful.

I'm afraid you can't stop this nonsense as you really didn't start it.

:-)

I was just thinking ... these discussions last a long time and have adherents both ways because in our long riding lives, we've spent a LOT of time either greasing and replacing chains, or knocking out carrier bearings, or making sure we have a spare master link, or finding out there are NO more rear ends available for our favorite antique, while you can always get a chain and sprocket set even if the bike's 90 years old, or adjusting chains, or getting U-joint crosses rebuilt .... and so we tend to get firm ideas and opinions one way or the other.

Maybe it would be better if we were one of those guys who has ALL his service done by a shop.   I know a few - they ride a LOT, all over the country, but they've never touched a bolt or a drain screw in their lives - they just drop the bike off at a shop every few thousand miles and pick it up when it's done.

I guarantee you that guys who do that don't care about these discussions, and wouldn't waste 5 seconds posting about their "preference" - because why would they have one?    They might not even know if their bike has a chain, belt, or shaft .....

Lannis

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »

Here is my Africa Twin sitting in its crate, notice the chain.
It has a decal on top of the chain guard saying 40 mm of slack, when I picked it up it had around 15 mm.
The 'sales person gets a "tech" who with a straight face says it will stretch in the first 1000 kms. (I had somehow been sent back to 1976) as a bonus I was then informed "the filings will also come out with the oil (first service)  :laugh:

LOL so hard at the chain stretching...of course it will stretch...and you will need a new chain after that  :grin: :grin: :grin:

That is why PDI is so important AKA know the dealer who knows shit LOL...

Or do your own due diligent and double check...also a great way to know your bike...

Love thy bike, thy bike shall treat you well  :thumb:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
Mechanically clueless, no?

I know commercial pilots like that.

I know Aerospace engineers like that. I work with many of them. Working on a detail design, CAD-modeling, discussing design nuances around a conference table and you'd be sure these guys could replace a clutch with their eyes closed. But dig a little deeper around the "water cooler", and I've learned that quite a high percentage have no idea how the car they drove to work operates. My officemate still takes his bicycle to the shop every year for a "tune up", and he has no idea what it is they do to it. Another that I've mentioned in this forum had plastic Acerbis handguards installed on her DR 175 and paid the shop $700 to do it. Apparently didn't think to ask one of the engineers she works with if they could do it cheaper.

Kind of off on a tangent, but Lannis' comments and observations were spot-on.

Oh, and my initial posting sort of opened the question of lube, not chain vs driveshaft, but I guess they're all LINKED (get it??!!)  :boozing:
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
I've enjoyed this post so much I just can't let it die, soooo let me say, most of us ole timers has progressed past the inferior chain days of old, to the modern day of the far superior driveshaft. The rest of you guys will catch up eventually. Sorry, the two glasses of warm red wine made me do this, LOL, I love this forum!!:)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:36:07 PM by Ncdan »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »
One curious design feature of this bike was it's exhaust location: It exited (2-into-1) behind the right footpeg, right under the rider's butt. That doesn't seem right, for some reason.

And thru it all, nobody bothered to comment on this observation.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
Maybe this thread and the "rear drive is pumping out the breather" thread????
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
Not trying to continue a friendly and respectful disagreement but there is no such thing as a Touring motorcycle that anyone serious about a a touring bike would pay good money for, that is chain driven. Harley, or any of the metric tourers, BMW or Guzzi has a TOURING BIKE with a chain so I'll have to call BS on that claim, my friend:)

I'm a bit surprised an owner of a KTM Adventure or a Ducati Multistrada hasn't called you out on this statement. 
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
Maybe this thread and the "rear drive is pumping out the breather" thread????

AND the "Final Drive Seal Failure" thread ... ?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
  Well, I didn't learn from the experience ...I would up married to a woman that also didn't really  greasy chains. but it didn't last...However, the last 30 years have spent with a woman who approves of greasy chains ....So the chain drive guided me to a better place... :bow:

And you can STAY in that place too, with the right attitude ...  :grin:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
Ordered chain and sprockets for the tiger today. $220.00 and maybe a two hr. Job for an all new drive train. I'm good with that <shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »
And you can STAY in that place too, with the right attitude ...  :grin:

Back in the day, I was talking to Burt Rutan. He was just another of the homebuilder guys, then. He said, "She said it was either that airplane or me! That made the decision pretty easy."  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here