Author Topic: Handlebars and risers  (Read 3608 times)

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
Handlebars and risers
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »
Ride a 03 Cal Aluminum and am thinking of getting different handlebars. The original never bothered me but know need some to ride in more upright or relaxed position. Presently the reach bothers my shoulders. Could be my advanced age or back surgery I had 2 summers ago.  Anybody have any ideas??
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Handlebars and risers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
My right shoulder and arm were killing me after an hour on my jackal, but after installing some bassa handlebars and some foot boards (with the rubber mounted top board removed) the bike is so much easier on my beat up body. So yes, try some handlebars with a different reach and bend.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
Too many variables to know what handlebar dimensions might fit your needs.  You're going to have to figure this out yourself.  I have a like new buckaroo handlebar (too high for me) that was on my `77 Convert. I bought a couple years ago I could sell you for $20 + shipping but w/o knowing what you really need I'm not even going to try.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:34:34 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
I replaced mine 2003 Aluminium drag bars with Emgo Eurobend bars and 1-1/2 risers.  The problem with a Guzzi upper triple tree is the hole spacing is wide.  Most after market bars do not have enough clearance in the clamping area.  I did not have to change any lines or cables.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
Where are you located? Maybe there are some Guzzista near you and you could sit on their bikes and see if their setup works for you. Might help.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
1/2" drive 18mm sockets with correspondingly longer mounting bolts between your handlebar clamp and the triple tree will bring your bars back and up a bit on the cheap. This is a great way to determine if you need the handgrips a little closer without breaking the bank...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
1/2" drive 18mm sockets with correspondingly longer mounting bolts between your handlebar clamp and the triple tree will bring your bars back and up a bit on the cheap. This is a great way to determine if you need the handgrips a little closer without breaking the bank...

The bike came with long risers and straight drag bars.  Putting sockets under the risers would make the bars higher.  And the oem set up is extremely heavy.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
Sorry OrangeGuzzi, but I guess I should have directed my comment to the original poster. However, unless your risers are perpendicular to the road, spacers will bring your bars both up and back...

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
Fascinating - I've been pondering this very thing - I'm experiencing a shoulder problem, currently diagnosed as a "lat strain", and just finishing up physical therapy for it. Problem still exists of course, but I'm in better shape and learned some valuable exercises.

My Eldo had bars that were pulled back and down, somebody tried to convince me once that they were of Harley origin. I'll find a picture if I can.

My Bassa has bars that [k-glorioso] pronounced "not stock", and while they are somewhat down and back I desire something more so. I was just debating cost and effort to get there. Also there's the challenge of identifying an appropriate set of bars.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Fascinating - I've been pondering this very thing - I'm experiencing a shoulder problem, currently diagnosed as a "lat strain", and just finishing up physical therapy for it. Problem still exists of course, but I'm in better shape and learned some valuable exercises.

My Eldo had bars that were pulled back and down, somebody tried to convince me once that they were of Harley origin. I'll find a picture if I can.

The handlebar I have for sale is like that, grips are pulled back and down.   They came that way on early Guzzi Converts like my `77.   I instead put a lower conventional handlebar for my preference.  :wink:

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

Sheepdog, Got a couple questions for you.
1)  what length of socket did you use?
2)  did you have to change any wires or cables?

I like you idea and now I'm wondering what length socket could I use without changing cables.

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:25:06 PM »
Sheepdog, Got a couple questions for you.
1)  what length of socket did you use?
2)  did you have to change any wires or cables?

I like you idea and now I'm wondering what length socket could I use without changing cables.

:1:  :thumb:
California EV 1999

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
Most of the 1/2" drive stuff is longer...I got a shorter socket that was about 1 1/2" long. 18mm size is the smallest that the appropriately sized bolt will fit through. Take the stock bolt and add the length of the socket and Ace Hardware will sell you stainless metric bolts in the prescribed length. The sockets were chromed, reducing the cobby look. No problem with cables or wiring on my Vintage...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:27:12 PM by Sheepdog »

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
Most of the 1/2" drive stuff is longer...I got a shorter socket that was about 1 1/2" long. 18mm size is the smallest that the appropriately sized bolt will fit through. Take the stock bolt and add the length of the socket and Ace Hardware will sell you stainless metric bolts in the prescribed length. The sockets were chromed, reducing the cobby look. No problem with cables or wiring on my Vintage...
Had my 02 stone setup that way for awhile. They were a perfect fit and looked good. No change to cables just a little reroute. Now I've got a set of motocross bars on there for a more forward lean.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »

Sheepdog, I'll be trying this shortly as I had to order the bolt online. Ace carries very little in stainless steel for metric sizes. I found that true even at a business that I thought for sure that would have it, Fastenal. Even they said they are no longer being sent stainless metric. Found the bolts at the Bolt Depot and they have almost everything at what I thought was a reasonable price.  Thanks for your help.

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
Get a set of Rox risers. I got a 1" set from a guy on a V-Strom site that were cheap and they made a real difference as the bars were up a little and they were able to be adjusted rearward a little. They worked great until I installed the Bassa bars.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:51:25 PM by wavedog »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Sheepdog, I'll be trying this shortly as I had to order the bolt online. Ace carries very little in stainless steel for metric sizes. I found that true even at a business that I thought for sure that would have it, Fastenal. Even they said they are no longer being sent stainless metric. Found the bolts at the Bolt Depot and they have almost everything at what I thought was a reasonable price.  Thanks for your help.

You're most welcome. I think some Ace Hardware stores are better than others. I've used the Bolt Depot, also. They have nearly anything and delivery was prompt.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
What about "Beach Bars"?

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
I had Rox risers on my Buell, very adjustable..rock forward or aft..

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
You're most welcome. I think some Ace Hardware stores are better than others. I've used the Bolt Depot, also. They have nearly anything and delivery was prompt.
Sheep, I installed yesterday and rode the bike today for a little.  I didn't ride very far but I think this is going to do the trick. Not a big change but I felt more relaxed right away.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 08:52:27 AM »
Often, a nuance of a change is all you need! Glad it worked for you...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here