Author Topic: Here's a new one!  (Read 7833 times)

pete roper

Here's a new one!
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
John from Motocicolo in Sydney was tearing his hair out over this one.

Late model Griso he'd sold, when it was ridden seemingly randomly it made a squealing noise, sounded like a bearing. They checked everything they could think of, alternator belt, alternator bearings, thrust bearing,on and on it went, no joy. John phoned me, I was at a loss but I basically talked him through every rolling element bearing in the engine.

In the end they hired a dyno for half a day and ran it there, they thought it was coming from the front but all morning they couldn't get it to do it. Just when they were about to throw in the towel they got a 'Chirrup'! From the back end! It had always sounded like it came from the front!

Anyway they pulled off the bevelbox and found this....

We have absolutely NFI what the hell it is! It isn't any 'Part' we've ever seen and it definitely shouldn't be there! So how the hell did a strange metal collar get on the back yoke of the driveshaft on a brand new motorbike unless it was placed there with malice aforethought by a disgruntled employee?

Idiocy! No wonder people don't trust Guzzi!

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here's a new one!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
I looked at that first picture, and wondered what that was.. and why it was there. Strange. There are much easier ways for an employee to sabotage something. That's almost too clever. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »
Is that a tool the factory might have used during assembly?  and forgot?  rather find gold coins in my sump ya know!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
     It must have been inventory taking time and the advice I received once was that "if you find something that you can't identify, or can't find a part number for, just hide it somewhere and move on".
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »

Bless you Mr. Roper you finally have outed the source of the elusive muffler bearing!  :thumb:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »
I had mentioned this about a year ago........... local Guzzi shop found this same issue with my Brothers Stelvio.
If left to sqeal away long enouph it will damage the shaft to the point it will need to be replaced.

Stelvio still running strong at this point.

Ciao

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
And this is more proof that for many decades the factory never bothered lubricating splined shafts during assembly! Lazy bastards! Every new Guzzi I owned was always bone dry where grease was needed. All the used Guzzi's I have owned were always in need of new U joints or shafts due to the wear from being dry for so many years.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Is that a tool the factory might have used during assembly?  and forgot?  rather find gold coins in my sump ya know!

This is the most plausible explanation. Could this thing help guide the shaft into place?
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
This.
I think.
Had a Yellow thingy floating in my transmission oil pan on a new conversion van I bought years ago.
NOBODY could I.D. it, turns out they plug hole at top of tranny during assy. and later down the line install dip stick tube with a wack and plug pops into pan area and just floats around doing no harm.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
You don't think it was part of the cover in the first picture?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
You don't think it was part of the cover in the first picture?

I don't think so. I was wondering if it might be part of the seal retaining collar but it can't be because if that was busted there'd be oil all through the swingarm.

Look, I haven't seen it t first hand but it is way beyond weird. I can't see it being some sort of tool being used on assembly, (John had thought of that.) because being on the pinion or shaft it wouldn't be possible to remove it once the yoke was mated to the pinion shaft! Completely un-neccessary too as it's easy to slip the bevelbox onto the swingarm on a CARC bike.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:29:47 PM by pete roper »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
I'm with those who see it as something the surgeon accidentally left behind when the patient was closed up.

Not a Guzzi story, but definite sabotage I can talk about.

When Yvonne and I first met she owned a Pontiac (her first car bought new). It always had a funny sound, a muffled rattle coming from the driver's footwell. It gradually got a bit louder, so one day I finally disassembled all the panels and carpet to try and discover what was causing it.

In the air vent to the left of the driver's leg I found an empty beer can. It had been pierced with a welding rod that was tacked at each end to the vent channel. Any vibration (the car had a 90-degree V6) or air moving through the vent made the can bang around. Makes me pretty sure the car was built on a Friday...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
WoW, it looks a bit like a wheel / bearing spacer ?????  :rolleyes:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
 :popcorn: sarcasm abounds...

Last loop frame air box to carb intake manifold left in the factory...must have been cleaning house

:popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 10:21:39 PM »
Could it be something used for in-process inspection? Like a fixture to measure assembled height, used as a reference during assembly?
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
John from Motocicolo in Sydney was tearing his hair out over this one.

Late model Griso he'd sold, when it was ridden seemingly randomly it made a squealing noise, sounded like a bearing. They checked everything they could think of, alternator belt, alternator bearings, thrust bearing,on and on it went, no joy. John phoned me, I was at a loss but I basically talked him through every rolling element bearing in the engine.

In the end they hired a dyno for half a day and ran it there, they thought it was coming from the front but all morning they couldn't get it to do it. Just when they were about to throw in the towel they got a 'Chirrup'! From the back end! It had always sounded like it came from the front!

Anyway they pulled off the bevelbox and found this....

We have absolutely NFI what the hell it is! It isn't any 'Part' we've ever seen and it definitely shouldn't be there! So how the hell did a strange metal collar get on the back yoke of the driveshaft on a brand new motorbike unless it was placed there with malice aforethought by a disgruntled employee?

Idiocy! No wonder people don't trust Guzzi!

Pete
When I had the bevel box off my Norge to do the swing arm pivots, my memory tells me that the section of male spline sticking out of the casting had a metal sleeve around it, is that not the case Pete ? I know you've seen more Norge bevelboxes than I've had hot dinners, but I thought it had the same look except it was mostly in behind the rubber "diaphragm", and only 15mm or so visible. Does the majority of that sleeve sit in behind the diaphragm and is there to support the rubber around where the spline protrudes. My limited common sense tells me it must be foreign or you'd know what it was, but there's something familiar about the vision of the male spline sticking out of the bevel box that includes a zinc coated support ring holding the rubber in shape around the spline, but I can offer no clue as to why it's un recognisable to you, except that I'm talking bollocks.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:43:49 PM by Huzo »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
Here in the States about 30 years ago there was this interesting college football player named Brian Bosworth (aka The Boz).  Legend goes he bragged that out of boredom at having to work at the General Motors plant in his hometown in Oklahoma, he occasionally deposited various nuts and bolts in out of the way crevasses of the GM cars he was working on during assembly.  He has been denied admittance to the College Football Hall of Fame for other misbehaviors.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:20 AM »
I'm reminded of a trip to Italy when we got stranded because the rail workers had a tantrum, vandalized the train stations, and walked out for a few days. When Italians aren't happy at work, there is often collateral damage. :violent1:
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »

simple picture share

You are talking about one of these.  That part is a part of the either the diff or driveshaft.  I am looking through our doc's to see what we ordered.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
  Piaggio had us order driveshaft and differential.
1   gu05326330      primary driven shaft         
1   976570      DIFFERENTIAL         
2   AP8202238      CABLE GUIDE HOOK         
2   AP8201808      CABLE GUIDE         

Our bike with the same problem was a Stelvio.

Walt
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
That part looks to me like a sleeve intended to retain lubricant (grease?) around the spine joint.  It fits the hole perfectly, so doesn't seem random.  Likely has a purpose.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

pete roper

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »
My first thought was it is part of the seal holder but as I said I don't see how it can be. Anyway I didn't have a chance to look at a seal holder and bevelbox next to each other yesterday but I'll make time today!

Pete

Penderic

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »
Symmetrical?  Possible a shipping collar. Maybe holding two U joints more securely in the box?

To keep the product protected during transporting.

I like secure.

:boozing:

pete roper

Re: Here's a new one! Resolved!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
Well, my suspicions were correct. It is part of the seal holder!

The seal holder is a two pice affair pressed together and only listed as a single part.

Looking at it as a component out of the bevelbox and its immediately obvious where it came from!

:violent1:

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »
So what made it come loose?
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
Alrighty, then!

pete roper

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
So what made it come loose?

Unicorns! Silly..... :rolleyes:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
And I thought it was cause he didn't have one of those gremlin 'bells'  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here's a new one! Resolved!
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »
Well, my suspicions were correct. It is part of the seal holder!

The seal holder is a two pice affair pressed together and only listed as a single part.

Looking at it as a component out of the bevelbox and its immediately obvious where it came from!

:violent1:
The last shot was as I recall my Norge as resembling. PS, Just to double check, it's not April 1 in Bungendore is it ???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:42:54 AM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:51 AM »
Here in the States about 30 years ago there was this interesting college football player named Brian Bosworth (aka The Boz).  Legend goes he bragged that out of boredom at having to work at the General Motors plant in his hometown in Oklahoma, he occasionally deposited various nuts and bolts in out of the way crevasses of the GM cars he was working on during assembly.  He has been denied admittance to the College Football Hall of Fame for other misbehaviors.

I was thinking about that story when first reading this . Of course the Boz never really worked in that factory ...

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here