Author Topic: Nevada Shifter Issue  (Read 1982 times)

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
Nevada Shifter Issue
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
I had the Nevada out yesterday.  It started last year, but I've been having some trouble with the shifter.  Basically, the first shift of the ride(from 1st to second), the shifter is extremely stiff.  Almost to the point where I can't do it, but then it does it.  The next couple shifts are still stiff, but it works.  After that it then feels normal.

If I go somewhere for an hour or two and get back on the bike, it still seems normal, but when I let the bike sit overnight or a long time at work, it goes back to being stiff for the first shift.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or might know what's going on here?  Thanks for any help.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Nevada Shifter Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
Lube the shifter shaft that goes through the frame, pull out & grease if all else(spray) fails.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »
And adjust the clutch.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll bust out the manual and see if I can give it a go.  Thanks again.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
Try leaving a thought or two between clutch and foot....cold gear oil is pretty thick until it warms up
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:48:12 PM »
Last year when I was riding home from work, I would let it warm up for 10 minutes before taking off, but it still did it.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:54 AM »
What weight of gearbox oil are you using?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 02:00:15 AM »
Try leaving a thought or two between clutch and foot....cold gear oil is pretty thick until it warms up
Last year when I was riding home from work, I would let it warm up for 10 minutes before taking off, but it still did it.

... but if it was in neutral, the gears in the box wont be rotating thus moving the oil about to warm it up.

My Breva 1100 gearbox is sluggish when cold - could take a couple of pushes to get into first.

I just accept that and ride gently for the 1st couple of miles (until I get out of the village in my case) and normal service is then resumed!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:03:06 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
What weight of gearbox oil are you using?

Thanks for the replies.  What ever came with the bike.  I'm thinking it hasn't changed from the factory as it only had 1500 miles on it when I got it.  Should I change this?  I noticed the other day when I was riding home from work and it was warmer, close to 50°F, it was slightly easier to make the first shift.

Is there something I can do to get it to warm up more quickly?  Thanks again.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 02:48:15 AM »
Regulation says 80/90 Gear oil.

I have actually changed to 75/90 Semi synthetic and the gear change is really nice, even from cold.

Some people have remarked that some seals start leaking from using synthetic. I keep an eye on the drain slot underneath the bell hosing and it is still dry. The gearbox has always changed beautifully. I did however during a 2600 mile trip when using 80/90 have one of the 5th gear shed its hardening and ended up replacing all the bearings, two gears, a selector shaft and a main shaft. I thought maybe running the higher spec oil may help all those gears that had been running in hardening dust for over 1000 miles. :undecided:
03 Breva

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 11:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I'll run it by the dealer and see what they think I should do.  Thanks again.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
Definitely lube your linkage pivot points first.  Seeing where you're at, warming up the oil in the gearbox would take a little mileage.  Are you use to a Japanese gearbox?  If so then warming the engine up won't help.  Do a firm shift and ride it to move the oil in the gearbox.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
The shifter pedal passes through the frame rail.  It is quite exposed to road dirt and grime.  Also quite exposed to heat from the exhaust.  I suspect the pivot in the frame is dirty.  It loosens up as your exhaust heat softens the lubricant and expands the pivot tubing.  Take it all apart to clean and lube with a very light grease and it should be good to go.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Check too that the locknuts on the linkage rods at the back of the box are tight. Mine have loosened a couple of times and the resulting slop from the ball joint movement does affect the change.

That joint that pehayes refers to, on mine there was a fair amount of lateral movement from new, which meant the linkage rod was sometimes working at an angle. I turned up on the lathe a washer made from acetyl engineering plastic, and found that actually made a huge difference.
03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here