Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Lets call the Pirsig Zen ride, complete.

General Discussion / DO NOT
« Last post by Shorty on May 26, 2018, 11:57:06 PM »
Drink rum and browse Ebay motorcycles for sale starting with "oldest first."  That is all. The PSA brought to you by DOA....Drunken Okies Anonymous    :grin:
General Discussion / Re: '74 single disc Ex-CHP Eldo
« Last post by Turin on May 26, 2018, 11:53:13 PM »
I prefer the Harpers / MG cycle / E-bay payment plan as well. Almost every restoration I've seen has some nit that I will pick (silently). I find when I do things myself, for myself, I'm not as critical.  :azn: (not perfect, but nice enough for me)
General Discussion / Re: Rollerization not necessary?
« Last post by Paul Brooking on May 26, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
Outstanding Pete, just outstanding.
Thank you
Bookmarked for future reference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
General Discussion / Re: Mike Haven is back in Park Ten..Spreading the word
« Last post by PJPR01 on May 26, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »
What is Park 10?

Park Row which was off the Park Ten exit of Interstate 10 here in Houston was the location where Mike had the MPH shop here in Houston...

Those of us in town have been going to his home where he has a shop to get work done as needed.  Will be good news if he was able to get back into his old location.
« Last post by pete roper on May 26, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
My understanding is he got stiffed by the bastard who bought the car side of the business off him. Dunno the details but I understand it got very ugly with lots of lawyers at twelve paces.

Great news if he managed to get justice to prevail.

Pete
« Last post by Muzz on May 26, 2018, 11:21:32 PM »
What is Park 10?

I have just looked at the MPH web site and he is listed still as owning it. I thought that that business relationship had gone sour, or was it just with Piaggio?
General Discussion / Re: Rollerization not necessary?
« Last post by pete roper on May 26, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
LOL Pete
Let�s say I was looking at a unrollerised 8v bike in Australia.
I am confident that I can install the kit.
There are several rollerised 8v�s being advertised at the moment for between $12k & $14k.
What I am trying to get a handle on is:
If the factory says no to any claim, then how much will it cost me to buy a kit?
How much would someone like yourself charge to supply and install to someone who isn�t confident to undertake the job.
Somewhere between those three prices is the value of an unrollerised 8v.
(Assuming the bike is salvageable and the flat tappet issue hasn�t done additional damage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To address the question of cost one has to understand the various machines, their different needs and the choices on offer.

Firstly lets look at the machines.

The Griso, Stelvio and 1200 Sport from 2008-2010 mostly use the C kit although there are a few 2009 plated models that take a B kit too so the actual numbers are rubbery. From the middle of 2010 the Norge also came on line and to the best of my knowledge those made between mid 2010 and the end of 2011, with the exception of the 1200 Sports, all use the B kit.

From the end of 2011 through to the end of manufacture of flat tappet models in mid 2012 they all, once again with the exception of the 1200 Sports, need the A kit. Sports from this later period need the D kit.

So what are the differences and how do you know for sure which kit you require? Well its really quite easy.

First look at the inner face of the cylinder head that faces into the valley of the motor. Close to the banjo that feeds the cooling oil to the head galleries there is a manufacturing date stamp. This looks like a small Sun with a number stamped in the middle and twelve sections around it that have punch marks in. By counting the punch marks you can ascertain the month of manufacture. On early models, the black paint of the head will be unblemished and these machines will require a C kit.

If though, in the paint there is a drill mark like so.

It will need either a B or an A kit if it is post mid 2011.

Now the way to make certain you get the right kit for bikes with the drill mark in the paint, (1200 Sports are different. Well cover them at the end.) you need to know what sealing method is used on the rocker covers to prevent oil escaping into the plug tube.

On early and mid period bikes, that is those requiring both a C kit and the later B kit there is a Long plug tube that pokes up from the cylinder head, through the rocker carrier/cambox casting and then seals in the rocker cover by means of an o-ring and the cover appears like this.

On later engines that require an A kit the rocker carrier/cambox casting is machined differently and there is only a Short plug tube that goes between the head and the rocker carrier casting and the top of the casting is sealed to the rocker cover by a circular neoprene gasket of the same cross-section as the rocker cover gasket itself.

Like so.

So, to recap. On all apart from 1200 Sport if there is no drill mark in the paint? C kit. If there is a drill mark in the paint lift the rocker cover and see if it needs an A or a B kit.

With the 1200 Sports none were ever manufactured with roller top ends and likewise none ever had the required shims inserted under the inlet valve seats so they all require the heads removing which is the big difference in the work required for aC or D kit compared to an A or B. Because they didnt have the shims the heads likewise are not marked with a drill mark in the paint BUT the final run of Sports used the later rocker cover/Short plug tube combination and for these models only there is the stand alone D kit.

I gotta go and do chores right now but a bit later Ill explain the differences and relative costs for both purchase and installation of the various kits.

Pete
General Discussion / Re: How'd you learn to wrench?
« Last post by Muzz on May 26, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
Simple, is it?   :shocked:  Just wait till you replace the fork fluid on a Stelvio .... !  :wink:

Lannis

Or the Baby Breva. :rolleyes:

Lannis, as a Ye Olde English aficionado you would understand. My old Matchless had little tapped plugs at the bottom of the sliders. Remove plug, pump up and down, replace oil, finished.

Breva. Remove front wheel, remove mudguard, remove windshield, shift some elecronics, remove forks from clamps, tip upside down, pump and drain, refil, reverse all the preceding operations. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why didn't they just fit a drain plug in the bottom like the Poms?

Same here, but the test wasn't much of a test.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Flying Tiger Motorcycles
Moto Guzzi, Royal Enfield, Zero Electric Motorcycles
FlyingTigerMotorcycles.com
Advertise Here