Author Topic: Good motorcycle book of the Month (feautring another Italian twin...)  (Read 2095 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Just finished this great motorcycle adventure book about two Italians (actually 3) back in 1971 who rode from the tip of South America to Alaska on two 1971 Laverda 750 twins!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :thumb: :cool: :1:  Can you imagine?!?

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Good motorcycle book of the Month (feautring another Italian twin...)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
I remember an article in Bike magazine about a Brit & a Canadian who started somewhere in Canada and rode to Tierra Del Fuego on Norton Commandos back in similar time frame

As I remember the Brit rode halfway back up South America and sold his bike in Brazil where they didn't import Nortons (or something similar) so he sold the bike at a premium and got some much needed cash back from the sale

Seem to remember they were both dentists and the Brit's name was John but that's about all I can recall

It was serialized and was a great read

I might just go looking for that book JJ thanks for letting me know about it

John

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
I remember an article in Bike magazine about a Brit & a Canadian who started somewhere in Canada and rode to Tierra Del Fuego on Norton Commandos back in similar time frame

As I remember the Brit rode halfway back up South America and sold his bike in Brazil where they didn't import Nortons (or something similar) so he sold the bike at a premium and got some much needed cash back from the sale

Seem to remember they were both dentists and the Brit's name was John but that's about all I can recall

John

Of course the other famous book was "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon...around the world for 4 years on a 70's Triumph 500!!  He recreated this same journey later in life at age 65 on a BMW R1200GS, if I am not mistaken.  Good stuff! :thumb: :cool: :1: :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

John

I also remember an article of a woman going to Brazil solo on a Kawasaki 900.
I’ll try to dig it up

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
Speaking of "original" Laverda's...this 1975 SF2 sold for $9,900 in Vegas in January.  It was a nice example, but one in the traditional Laverda orange would have been a lot nicer...:thumb: :cool: :1:

how to upload photo on internet
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
Of course the other famous book was "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon...around the world for 4 years on a 70's Triumph 500!!  He recreated this same journey later in life at age 65 on a BMW R1200GS, if I am not mistaken.  Good stuff! :thumb: :cool: :1: :thumb:
Had the opportunity to meet Ted at MidOhio several years ago.  I have a signed copy of "Jupiter's Travels" I purchased from him at Vintage Days packed away with many other paperbacks after I had to empty my office for repairs due to water damage.  That's an interesting read. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:06:27 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:23 AM »
Hi JJ...where did you find a copy of the book?

Amazon doesn't seem to have it...

If you need to read some other fun moto books...try Two Wheels thru Terror by Glen Heggstad, or One Man Caravan by Robert Fulton
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 04:46:08 AM »
Hi JJ...where did you find a copy of the book?

Amazon doesn't seem to have it...

If you need to read some other fun moto books...try Two Wheels thru Terror by Glen Heggstad, or One Man Caravan by Robert Fulton

I found it here:  www.laverdamania.ne t or email the author at: sfc972@gmail.com    :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
One Man Caravan w/w/out video (converted from 16mm), was once available from Whitehorse Press. 

Robert E. Fulton, Jr was a neighbor when I lived in Newtown, CT. I 1st met him @ our Post Office on a sunny fall Sunday. Rural@ the time, with an open lobby to PO Box mail 7 days/wk. He was riding his restored Douglas and only had to make a return spring for the kicker, to be finished. I figured: Aged Brit bike. Missing return spring. We'll have a nice chat and I'll learn this interesting mans name. It started on the 2nd kick.

He was a great guy. Warm quiet. Generous with his time. Hugely interesting. Had a Stinson Reliant. in the Oxford, CT field, plus a Luscome Silvaire AND a P51 in his back yard!

With that as my only clue I spoke with a bmw dealer; His mechanic knew of that ol' brit bike; the owners address and the airplanes. He said the owner was working on an air/sea rescue system.

At the time I worked with 2 engineers 3 states away, who had built a BD 5J and a Parsons Jocelyn 350? Plus, in the same shop another who built a BD 4. The 3 of us clamoring for the name we all knew.  ca. 1985?  Good fortune,  R3~ 

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
One Man Caravan w/w/out video (converted from 16mm), was once available from Whitehorse Press. 

Robert E. Fulton, Jr was a neighbor when I lived in Newtown, CT. I 1st met him @ our Post Office on a sunny fall Sunday. Rural@ the time, with an open lobby to PO Box mail 7 days/wk. He was riding his restored Douglas and only had to make a return spring for the kicker, to be finished. I figured: Aged Brit bike. Missing return spring. We'll have a nice chat and I'll learn this interesting mans name. It started on the 2nd kick.

He was a great guy. Warm quiet. Generous with his time. Hugely interesting. Had a Stinson Reliant. in the Oxford, CT field, plus a Luscome Silvaire AND a P51 in his back yard!

With that as my only clue I spoke with a bmw dealer; His mechanic knew of that ol' brit bike; the owners address and the airplanes. He said the owner was working on an air/sea rescue system.

At the time I worked with 2 engineers 3 states away, who had built a BD 5J and a Parsons Jocelyn 350? Plus, in the same shop another who built a BD 4. The 3 of us clamoring for the name we all knew.  ca. 1985?  Good fortune,  R3~

From these photos below, I just ordered this book from AMAZON, and this is clearly a book I need to read next!!  THANKS!! :thumb: :1: :cool:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:31:03 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanx, JJ. Fun to see those pictures again.
That 1st day we met he was 'attired' perfectly for a flash back to the mid 30's. Corduroy pants, pinch back, finger tip length, hounds tooth jacket. White hair casually framing his pinch brim cap; matching his pants. I've seen young women swoon upon seeing him, no matter how he was dressed.  Damn!  R3~ 

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Thanx, JJ. Fun to see those pictures again.
That 1st day we met he was 'attired' perfectly for a flash back to the mid 30's. Corduroy pants, pinch back, finger tip length, hounds tooth jacket. White hair casually framing his pinch brim cap; matching his pants. I've seen young women swoon upon seeing him, no matter how he was dressed.  Damn!  R3~

Can't wait to read that classic!!!  Can you imagine?!?  Back in 1932...and on a Douglas!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
I fear admins closing in on this perhaps too personal communique.
A bit more filler, if you will, please?

Y'aal may be familiar with said air/ sea rescue system. Your down. Wet. A bit worried or worse. your life raft is equipped with a Helium balloon on several hundred feet cable. Rescue knows where to find you. Radio contact says send up the balloon. A C130 does a flyby and comes back with 2 hard to discern booms, swung out from the fuse to protect the inboard props. the back door is down. Don't tell PETA! When I spoke with Bob Fulton about results they had yet to p/up human cargo. They had snatched a raft with several sheep on board. Never mind the physics; it's got to be a helluva ride.
Applications at the time included picking up astronauts.  R3~ 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here