Author Topic: Crossing the Canadian border  (Read 2080 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Crossing the Canadian border
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
I’m thinking about making my worn out R90s into an R100rs and taking it on my planned Alaska trip.  I�ve  acquired a low mileage R100 motor and a complete RS fairing.

I�m concerned about the fact that the R90s frame doesn�t have a VIN plate.  There are holes in the steering head where a plate would be, but the number is stamped on the steering head boss.  I don�t have any info about why that is.

Is there any sort of VIN inspection at the Canadian border?  Explaining no VIN plate and non matching motor/frame numbers might be tough.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:38:21 PM by dxhall »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Crossing the Canadian border
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »
I have crossed many times here from Maine and last summer crossed in Up state NY and never had a Vin check. I think if your passport and such are in order you will be ok. Be prepared to answer questions about your destination, how long you will be staying and purpose for your visit. And be sure not to have any fruit or other contraband.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:45:26 PM by lucian »

Offline RightD

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Is there any sort of VIN inspection at the Canadian border?  Explaining no VIN plate and non matching motor/frame numbers might be tough.

Not normally... The CBSA Officer will have access to your vehicle info (plate readers) but will normally inquire into you and your reason for traveling to Canada.

That said, if you are referred to secondary inspection the officer can inquire into just about anything that he or she deems relevant to determining admissibility. That can include missing safety equipment, etc.

Good luck with the trip,
RightD
2015 BMW K1600 GT Sport
2018 BMW R1200GS Rallye

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Don't give them any reason to look closely and they probably won't, unless there has been a bike matching the description of yours stolen.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
Only time I was ever questioned about a vehicle was when I transported a new bike with no plates. Showed ownership and was on my way.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
  You won't be in Kansas any more Toto.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
I have crossed a few times on motorcycle, never had a problem.  If it gives you more peace of mind you can take a copy of your title, registration, and even a bill of sale although I doubt you will ever need them.  With that said, I once had a Ducati blow up in Canada and I had to ship it back to Virginia.  All the numbers matched, the title was in my name,Virginia plate current, etc.  Still, the bike was turned back at the US boarder because the guy on the US side did not think he had a good enough copy of my passport (or some such document).  By that time I had been back home for a month or two.  It took a few phone calls and faxes to get the bike back across the boarder.  Never had any question about VIN or motor number.  The Canadian guys are much more concerned about guns, DUI, or fruit.  Be nice, be patient, do not try to be clever.  All will be well.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen  swallow?

2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:59:23 PM »
What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen  swallow?

African or European?

I apologise to the op.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline 73eldorado

• Theres a fine line between tough and stupid
  • Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:22 AM »
I have never had a VIN check going to the USA or back into Canada, just be polite tell the truth and you will be on your way. Don’t give them a reason to look.
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 02:30:01 AM »
Canadian border agents are going to respect the registration issued by a US authority as far as vehicle provenance is concerned. If your VIN is accepted for registration by your state, then Canada will accept it. In fact, Canadian provinces in general do not make a distinction between title and registration as it is understood in the US. Just make sure all the docs match - registration, insurance, etc. should all be consistent with each other.

And any agent who doesn't understand that older bikes may not have matching  - or any - numbers will quickly step back if you politely ask for assistance from a supervisor with experience in the matter, so long as all your documents are consistent and you show no evidence of intending to sell the vehicle to a Canadian buyer. They're mostly worried about whether you are going to return the vehicle to the US with you, that the US authorities are happy with your registration, and most of all that your insurance is valid for your travel in Canada.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 04:24:42 AM »
..... They're mostly worried about whether you are going to return the vehicle to the US with you, that the US authorities are happy with your registration, and most of all that your insurance is valid for your travel in Canada. 

Speaking of insurance -- my insurance man provides me with a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" before I travel across the border.  The card has the vehicle registration information, including the VIN and the dates when the insurance is valid, printed on it.  I suggest you call your insurance agent and ask that they provide this document for your trip.

Ride safe.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:26:55 AM by ChuckH »
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 05:58:51 AM »
     Here it is, Any liquor?    No.
     Any Firearms?    No
     Any Driving while Impaired Conviction?  (This one they do not ask, but are sticklers to look up on their data base) If No, be on your way. If     
     yes you turn around and go home, as a bunch of lawyering and paperwork will be required to enter Canada.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:10:08 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
Speaking of insurance -- my insurance man provides me with a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" before I travel across the border.  The card has the vehicle registration information, including the VIN and the dates when the insurance is valid, printed on it.  I suggest you call your insurance agent and ask that they provide this document for your trip.

Ride safe.

Yep, and paperclip it inside your passport to have at the ready.  Enjoy!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I suspect that this bike has a factory replacement frame.  Back in the day, dealers could get unnumbered frames from the factory and were supposed to stamp the VIN onto the frame when it was used. 

When I was around classic car restorers years ago, it was easy to get replacement VIN plates.  Who wants a beat up plate on the firewall of a six-figure restored muscle car?  I haven’t been able to find a new plate for an R90s.  Don’t know what’s changed.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »
just hope they don't think you look like Randy Quaid.

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
Don't ask, don't tell.  Let them ask question and only answer them as much as needed.

I was damn near strip searched by an A-hole border guy in May of 2016 on a dry run to Alaska.  I too wanted to cross the border and see what it would be like.  Not sure what they had going on but I was on a brand new R1200GS and they pulled me into the extra care and concern zone and had me down to my under clothing.  Effin' jerks.

Here is something I learned prior to crossing the border.  It is against Canadian law to have anything on your person that you intend to use to cause harm to another person.  YEs that includes a gun.  Yes that includes a knife.  Yes that includes a torque wrench; if your intent is to harm someone. 

So if they ask you if you are carrying any weapons, say, "No."  If you have a gnarly military style knife like I did you still tell them no.  If they search you or the bike and find it, simply tell them, "That is an outdoor hunting/fishing knife.  I will use it as such and only for that reason."  Don't even tell them you WON'T harm a person.  Let them ask you and tell them your INTENT is to use that knife around the campsite for ordinary camping reasons. They will not bother you any longer.

Pepper spray is not legal to carry as it is used for self defense and can harm another person.  Even college age women are not allowed to carry pepper spray in self defense.  Sure you can bring a big cannister of bear repellant, but if they ask if you have pepper spray say no.  If they search you and find bear spray you are just fine.  Been there done that.

NC

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
I cross all the time.  You will be fine.

Oh and for bonus points get a Nexus card.  You get Global Entry and TSA Pre included for $50 and you will breeze through the border.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
Don't ask, don't tell.  Let them ask question and only answer them as much as needed.

I was damn near strip searched by an A-hole border guy in May of 2016 on a dry run to Alaska.  I too wanted to cross the border and see what it would be like.  Not sure what they had going on but I was on a brand new R1200GS and they pulled me into the extra care and concern zone and had me down to my under clothing.  Effin' jerks.

Here is something I learned prior to crossing the border.  It is against Canadian law to have anything on your person that you intend to use to cause harm to another person.  YEs that includes a gun.  Yes that includes a knife.  Yes that includes a torque wrench; if your intent is to harm someone. 

So if they ask you if you are carrying any weapons, say, "No."  If you have a gnarly military style knife like I did you still tell them no.  If they search you or the bike and find it, simply tell them, "That is an outdoor hunting/fishing knife.  I will use it as such and only for that reason."  Don't even tell them you WON'T harm a person.  Let them ask you and tell them your INTENT is to use that knife around the campsite for ordinary camping reasons. They will not bother you any longer.

Pepper spray is not legal to carry as it is used for self defense and can harm another person.  Even college age women are not allowed to carry pepper spray in self defense.  Sure you can bring a big cannister of bear repellant, but if they ask if you have pepper spray say no.  If they search you and find bear spray you are just fine.  Been there done that.

NC

You did a "dry run" at the border looking for trouble and found it.  Sounds like a win/win to me.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here