Author Topic: Gloves. I need gloves.  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Gloves. I need gloves.
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
I need a riding glove. Brown. Leather. Built for riding... but not "modern gladiator" looking crap.

I've been buying Joe Rocket "Iron Age" gloves for the past three years, because I can't find anything else I like, and, I guess, I'm a sucker for punishment.

They never last the season. First and second pair blew out the fingertips, in a few fingers. Second pair wore though the thumb. Just bought a third pair, because I needed a pair for the return trip home yesterday and it was all I could find in my size (despite me saying I'd never buy another pair), and the stitching over the thumb "reinforcement" blew out within 120 km.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Brown. Leather. Understated, but functional.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Gloves. I need gloves.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
How about some good quality deerskin gloves like Ponch and John, on CHIPS, use to wear:)

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »
I bought a pair of Held summer gloves (Rodney model) at the start of this riding season and have been pretty happy with them.  100% leather with perforations.  They have held up very nicely.  I checked and they have a number of gloves in brown leather.  Manufacturer website is here (I bought them through Revzilla):

https://shop.held.de/en/men-s/gloves/?p=1&o=1&n=12&f=478%7C418

Be forewarned - they are not cheap.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
How about some good quality deerskin gloves like Ponch and John, on CHIPS, use to wear:)

LOVE Aerostich ropers, but Chuck has a good story about not having knuckle protection that gives one pause....
Best I've ever had were a brand name 'Five'. El Camino. (they make many styles) Not that easy to find though. I came across them when a local shop was shutting down and blowing out their stock.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:29:27 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Leathers-Brown-Deerskin-Leather-Driving-Gloves/302774196897?hash=item467ebf9aa1:m:mtcocbQpyxO_gKNH06A sTOw:sc:USPSFirstClass!63017!US!-1&var=601655844843

I have a plain, unlined, black heavy leather glove that I bought at the Beemer dealer in the closeout bin... about five years ago and they were $8.  I wish I had three more pair !!!

There are some similar gloves at the local Farm & Home Supply.  Leather work gloves.  Nothing in black, though.

I notice that much of the "high tech" gloves in the $50 range are crap.  Just my experience.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:02:05 PM by kballowe »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
I bought a pair of Held summer gloves (Rodney model) at the start of this riding season and have been pretty happy with them.  100% leather with perforations.  They have held up very nicely.  I checked and they have a number of gloves in brown leather.  Manufacturer website is here (I bought them through Revzilla):

https://shop.held.de/en/men-s/gloves/?p=1&o=1&n=12&f=478%7C418

Be forewarned - they are not cheap.

I bought the Held Rodneys also. I've ridden in Held since the '90s, there is no comparison in my opinion.

And yes, hold your breath when you see the price. Totally worth it.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
I want to be helpful with my experience with Triumph-branded short-gauntlet leather gloves with Kevlar reinforcement on the fingers, heel, and knuckles - they last me about 8 years, I don't know what they cost because Fay buys me a pair for Christmas when she sees that they're worn out.

But I've only ever seen them in black.   Might want to search "Triumph Kevlar" gloves and see ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
If you prefer plain & brown, can't go wrong with the elk skin roper gloves from Aerostich - a thick, soft leather that's comfortable & durable. Otherwise check out Held & Five. With a large collection to choose from, (just call me Emelda), I usually use Five's Avenue Long (no longer made?) - an unlined, fine grained thinnish leather, with a small cuff & knuckle protection. On trips, I always take along the Held Air n Dry - 2 compartments for the hands for summer & winter, comfortable, versatile & reasonably waterproof. Not cheap. But gloves are very personal - you must try before you buy.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
I have used a wide variety of gloves in my riding career, but nothing beats my current pair - Held Rodneys.  Mine are on their third season, and holding up impeccably - they are flawless.  For comfort they compare well with my Aerostitch Elkskin Competition Ropers, but are better ventilated and more protective.  They incorporate lightweight, advanced super-tough synthetic materials at the crucial impact spots, but overall are a fine durable leather.  They come in tan or black.  An outstanding glove for summer riding - nothing could tempt me to change.

There is very little dispute that Held is in the very top tier of glove makers:  both their quality and prices reflect this status.

If you are looking for a little heavier glove for spring or autumn temperatures, you might want to look at the Held Walcott or the Classic, both offered in black or brown.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Another choice that may work for you is Hatch police gloves. They are Kevlar lined and designed to last for years. I have a pair that I've had for 25 years and the leather is totally gone in a few places but the Kevlar is still totally intact and not a single stitch has ever broken. They are around 80-100 bucks the last time I saw a pare in the LEO store.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »

Menards is a bog box hardware chain. Got these for less than $15.00. They just need a few days on the dirt bike to get 'em broken in.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:58 AM »
Another choice that may work for you is Hatch police gloves. They are Kevlar lined and designed to last for years. I have a pair that I've had for 25 years and the leather is totally gone in a few places but the Kevlar is still totally intact and not a single stitch has ever broken. They are around 80-100 bucks the last time I saw a pare in the LEO store.

Kevlar doesn't do well when exposed to UV.  Hope they work for you if you ever need them to.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
Kevlar doesn't do well when exposed to UV.  Hope they work for you if you ever need them to.

I expect that on those, like the Triumph gloves I mentioned, that the Kevlar is not exposed directly to the sun, but is under the outer leather as a liner ....

Lannis

Moto

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »
Brown. Leather. Understated, but functional.

Consider the newish REAX Tasker gloves, in brown, developed by and available from Revzilla and also available to try on and buy at Cycle Gear stores. $79 no matter where you get them.

I think they're well-built, with suitable materials and padding. They look good and fit me well. So I bought them. I haven't tested them for crash worthiness, but they seem like they'd do pretty well. It's hard to know.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reax-tasker-leather-gloves

Moto

BTW, don't be swayed by claims of the use of allegedly superior leathers, like goat, until you do some research on their properties.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:31:20 AM by Moto »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »

famous journey poems
I expect that on those, like the Triumph gloves I mentioned, that the Kevlar is not exposed directly to the sun, but is under the outer leather as a liner ....

Lannis
That is correct Lannis. Kevlar is never used as the outer skin of garments or any other protective material that I'm aware of. That being said, my thirty years old gloves with exposed Kevlar has not deteriorate in years.

funny april poems
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:34:19 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 08:30:38 AM »
...a riding glove...built for riding...not "modern gladiator" looking crap.

Both Dainese and Alpinestars (and several others) make gloves that are made precisely for motorcycle needs (not gardening or cattle roping).  They've got palm reinforcements where needed, avoid seams in uncomfortable places, have very good knuckle protection, cannot come off during pavement slides, and are also available waterproof.  If they end up looking "crap" I don't know that I'd worry too much about that; most folks don't notice what your gloves look like, and anyway, who cares?  But, for either of these Italian gloves, expect to pay not much less than $100.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
 Tan pig skin work gloves, 15 bucks for three pair on Amazon...Or when it's colder, gauntlet work gloves, about 10 buck a pair..

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »
I need a riding glove. Brown. Leather. Built for riding... but not "modern gladiator" looking crap.

I can visualize what you mean when you say "modern gladiator" when it comes to jackets, pants, and boots ... but gloves are a little different.   As Daniel alludes, if you get a "built for riding" pair of gloves and not a "built for cycling fashion" pair of gloves, they're going to have protective and functional features that won't look like a '30s pair of gauntlets .... and come to think of it, when a group of us meet, I'm always scanning people's jackets and helmets and boots to see if they've got something I might consider, but I NEVER look at people's gloves .... !   They're the first thing I pull off at a stop anyhow; who's going to see them?

BUT gloves are personal items for comfort and looks second only to seats and helmets .... you gotta wear what makes YOU FEEL good, whatever that is ...

Lannis

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »
Another vote for the Aerostich deerskin gloves, just as good as the now unavailable Thurlow brand, of which I have a pair over 35 years old and still comfortable. Also, check out Slatin moto gear, they have a few to choose from and padded palms as well for us arthritic types.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
I can visualize what you mean when you say "modern gladiator" when it comes to jackets, pants, and boots ... but gloves are a little different.   As Daniel alludes, if you get a "built for riding" pair of gloves and not a "built for cycling fashion" pair of gloves, they're going to have protective and functional features that won't look like a '30s pair of gauntlets .... and come to think of it, when a group of us meet, I'm always scanning people's jackets and helmets and boots to see if they've got something I might consider, but I NEVER look at people's gloves .... !   They're the first thing I pull off at a stop anyhow; who's going to see them?

BUT gloves are personal items for comfort and looks second only to seats and helmets .... you gotta wear what makes YOU FEEL good, whatever that is ...

Lannis

I'm all for knuckle reinforcement, double palms, etc. What i don't want is the formed knuckle guards and excessive crap that is obviously added solely to make them "look tough". I want a good, well made, several-season, purpose-built-for-riding, glove. I don't care what other people think of my gear... but I like what I like, which generally skews to understated, simple stuff.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:22:16 AM by Toecutter »

Moto

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
I'm all for knuckle reinforcement, double palms, etc. What i don't want is the formed knuckle guards and excessive crap that is obviously added solely to make them "look tough". I want a good, well made, several-season, purpose-built-for-riding, glove. I don't care what other people think of my gear... but I like what I like, which generally skews to understated, simple stuff.

Then, to reiterate, you should consider the REAX Tasker glove, cited above.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
Then, to reiterate, you should consider the REAX Tasker glove, cited above.

Those don't look so bad. Will check out.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »

famous journey poems
That is correct Lannis. Kevlar is never used as the outer skin of garments or any other protective material that I'm aware of. That being said, my thirty years old gloves with exposed Kevlar has not deteriorate in years.

funny april poems

So you say, but have you slid them across the pavement?  Look like they haven't deteriorated and still protective can be two different things.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Lcarlson

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Lee Parks Design Deersports PCi gloves are the best I’ve owned. Spendy, but worth it.

http://leeparksdesign.com/gloves/

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
So you say, but have you slid them across the pavement?  Look like they haven't deteriorated and still protective can be two different things.
Kevlar is a hearty material but like any material, age and environment takes its toll. No I haven't slid across the pavement nor do I plan to but I'm confident there would be as much protection as deer skin or cow hide work gloves. I have a new pair of these but have grown an attachment to the ones in the picture. Does this help?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:19:44 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Lee Parks Design Deersports PCi gloves are the best I�ve owned. Spendy, but worth it.

http://leeparksdesign.com/gloves/

I like the look of those. I don't mind spending money if it's worth it.

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:54 PM »
In hot weather I use the Tourmaster Summer Elite, but they only come in black.  Winter is usually Aerostich elk skin ropers unless it's really cold, and then I have some insulated gloves that I can't remember the brand.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
Lee Parks all the way.  My HELD collection gathers dust now.  Except the rain gloves-which rock.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
Good knuckle and palm protection is a must for me.

Yep. After burning through a knuckle on my Aerostitch Ropers, I won't wear gloves without hard knuckle protection. The Ropers are still good for mowing, though.. :evil:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here