Author Topic: Possible to install piston onto rod after the piston is in the barrel?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Another stupid question, but seeing new rings onto the Sporti is almost a forgone conclusion & given that I'm thinking of using a tapered ring compression tool to ease installation, I have a problem

Something like this

I'll need to install the piston into the barrel from the top.

I don't really want to take the bottom end apart (AGAIN.............. ...ARGHHHHHHHH) so I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the gudgeon/wrist pin, install the piston, shove it to the bottom of the barrel and then install the pin and circlips.

I'm wondering if there will be enough clearance on the bottom of the barrel and enough room to get the pin in without the rings popping out the bottom of the barrel when installing the pin

Anybody know?

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Possible to install piston onto rod after the piston is in the barrel?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »
Install the piston from the bottom of the cylinder, drop the piston over the rod and install pin and clips. May help to have an extra set of hands to support the cylinder.  DonG

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Install the piston from the bottom of the cylinder, drop the piston over the rod and install pin and clips. May help to have an extra set of hands to support the cylinder.  DonG

That's they way I do it, except one circlip is already in and the pin is in part the way as well. Installing the piston in from the top would only be slightly different - just slide the piston down until you can fit one circlip and the pin part the way.

I can't say for sure whether there is adequate room between the piston skirt and engine case to work in your particular case, but on earlier Guzzi engines there is.
Charlie

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »
Yes it can be done.
Awkward but it can be done.
You may or may not have to heat the piston to insert tbe wristpin fully, not sure itlf you are using a floating whristpin or fixed  pin..
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
I use Charlie's method with one clip already in place. If the engine is loose on the bench use the flywheel holding tool to keep the crank still at about TDC and one little trick I use if I'm working alone is use a couple of rubber bands around the rod to the studs to keep the rod central to the bore. You can then slide the barrel and piston down and use the grudge on pin to line up the piston with the little end without worrying about the rod flopping about. When the pin is home and the other clip installed just cut the bands off before dropping the barrel.

Whether the piston will need heating should be down to whether the pistons are cast or forged. Cast will need a bit of heat, forged and they should slip straight in. I reckon Sport pistons were forged.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
 I may not be understanding the question ??? How do you slide the gudgeon pin (or in Pete's post "grudge on") into a piston after it is already in the cylinder ? I am missing something here .

Dusty

Edit .

Are we talking about lifting a cylinder off of the crankcase enough to clear the wrist pin bosses with a piston at BDC ? Sure seems like a tricky way to install a wrist pin . Wouldn't it be easier to simply remove the cylinder , install the piston onto the rod , use some bent up hose clamps to compress the rings and slide each cylinder over the pistons ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:27:02 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
Dusty: The ring pack is in the cylinder, the pin hole is still accessible.  DonG

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »
Dusty: The ring pack is in the cylinder, the pin hole is still accessible.  DonG

I edited my post . Can see how it would work , it just seems an awkward way to perform the task .

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
Bloody auto correct again!

You slide the piston down and out of the bottom of the cylinder bore until the bore for the gudgeon is below the bottom of the spigot. Slip the gudgeon in from one side and then wriggle the piston about while lining the pin up with the little end. Once it's lined up, slip it through, install the second circlip and then drop the barrel down onto the crankcase after cutting off the rubber bands if used.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
Bloody auto correct again!

You slide the piston down and out of the bottom of the cylinder bore until the bore for the gudgeon is below the bottom of the spigot. Slip the gudgeon in from one side and then wriggle the piston about while lining the pin up with the little end. Once it's lined up, slip it through, install the second circlip and then drop the barrel down onto the crankcase after cutting off the rubber bands if used.

Pete

I can certainly see how that might be better , will try it that way next time .

I knew what you were trying to write Pete  :laugh:

Dusty

Online 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
I also like to assemble the piston half way in the bottom of the barrel with enough room to line the pin and rod up.  A pair of vice grips helps me , clamp it onto an engine stud after I get the barrel where I want it, so it stays put , giving me two hands to finish the assembly. If the engine is in the bike and assembled , I stuff rags around the spigot to keep the pin retainer from accidently falling into the block, especially on the racing type retainers that have no holes for the special pliers.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
I edited my post . Can see how it would work , it just seems an awkward way to perform the task .

Dusty

Not awkward at all, better than screwing around with a ring compressor while cylinder studs are in the way. Less chance of damaging anything. JMO.
Charlie

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »

That is how I have always done it. Did not think about doing it any other way.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »
I have this fancy BMW two finger compressor that works trick, slides right out of the studs.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
I adopted Charlie's method as well.

Left the heat gun in the barrel while my finger pushing on the pin lightly, when the piston is warm enough, the pin slide in effortlessly.

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
those pics say a thousand words, thanks!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 03:12:28 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to explain it all to me

That settles it then

Still a bit away, doing a leak down check next week, then piston and bore dimensional checks followed by a close examination of the rings

This bike has been a challenge every step of the way

John

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here