Author Topic: 07' B11 clutch rattle with clutch out only?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
07' B11 clutch rattle with clutch out only?
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
I know this is a much talked about topic and seems to be model specific. I cant seem to find a concensus in the archives. So my 07' B11 clutch/gearbox rattles some in neutral clutch out. If I pull in the clutch it is quiet. Curious engineer in me wants to know, normal or not?

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 07' B11 clutch rattle with clutch out only?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
I know this is a much talked about topic and seems to be model specific. I cant seem to find a concensus in the archives. So my 07' B11 clutch/gearbox rattles some in neutral clutch out. If I pull in the clutch it is quiet. Curious engineer in me wants to know, normal or not?

Normal...... UNLESS you own a GRiSO or similar model where the reverse is normal. That bike shares a platform with the Breva and Norge, so the sound is Normal.  In the words of Dave Richardson which I chant as a mantra with regularity "There is an agricultural sound to a Guzzi, odd noises are normal. Be worried when you dont hear them and embrace it"  SUPER hard for me to accept when I pull the clutch on my GRiSO or hear the rattle can of my 8V Norge.......
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:18:16 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
thats how mine was,the clutch was commin apart at the same time the trans needs three gears.Its all apart now, :thumb: I am waiting on parts

98 EV--44,000mi.----shock proof in trans

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »
So what is different about the Griso that would be the opposite?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »
Characteristically all of the twin plate big blocks, this means from the early V7's through to the last of the 2V's that used the twin plate clutch will have a ringing noise when the clutch is engaged, ie the lever is pulled to the handlebar. This is caused by the friction plate centres rattling too and fro as the crank speeds up and slows down with the power and compression strokes. The lighter the flywheel assembly the more pronounced the rattle as the acceleration and decelerative actions are greater due to the lesser mass in a lighter flywheel.

In your case it sounds as if you are complaining of a rattle when the clutch is not engaged, ie the lever is released in neutral. In this case it is most likely to be down to poor throttle body balance but it may just be more rattly than some. This noise is caused by the same acceleration and decelerative forces but the knocking action is taking place between the primary gears on the input and intermediate shaft of the gearbox. In most cases it can be nearly or completely eradicated by correct balancing of the throttlebodies.

Pete

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
Ah, thanks Pete. Is my 07' B11 a twin plate design?

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
Ah, thanks Pete. Is my 07' B11 a twin plate design?

Yes, last of the ten spring twin platers.overall it's a very good, robust design. Periodically they buy a duff batch of friction plates that bust the centres out but really apart from a couple of extra springs and 2mm deeper splines on the friction plates nothing much changed over half a century!

Over time the flywheels and later the ring gears got lighter but the overall design didn't change.

Pete

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 02:06:51 AM »
Thank you Pete,  great info.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here