Author Topic: craigslist ads  (Read 2538 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
craigslist ads
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
I am trying to find a new scooter and three people from out of state I contacted said they were going to email pictures. None did. Do you think that sellers dont want to bother with non local buyers and dont have the character to tell me that?I keep looking at my inbox and three days later nada.What are your experiences?

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
Re: craigslist ads
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 05:03:23 PM »
If you were corresponding through CL, instead of direct person-to-person e-mail, check your spam folder if you haven't already done so.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »
These were people I talked to.I gave them my email address.I did just check my spam and nothing there. Thanks

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
How many threads have you see where the OP states I'll post pic or more pics when I get home.

That is code for I ain't never gonna post pics.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
I buy and sell fairly often on Craigslist.

Generally speaking, anyone more than 500 miles away will usually get ignored unless they can pick up the phone and call, and then only if they have a good story.  My personal experience is that those are likely to be scams and even if they're not -  I don't ship.

The guy with 143 questions in 23 text messages also gets ignored.

There are so many scams on Craigslist and maybe I'm a bit sensitive to it.  If it even SMELLS like a scam, then it gets ignored.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Both of our Vespas came from CL and were supposed to be seen by 'serious' buyers from out of state.  It was our good fortune they cancelled last minute.   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
My first thoughts, if they were too lazy to put up decent pictures on their CL ad, then they are probably too lazy to email you some extra pics.

You mentioned you gave them your email address via phone?  Maybe they spelled it wrong? 

On the selling side, I've found remote people to more likely be scammers or a bit more difficult to work with.  Local guy can just stop by.  Remote guy might want many extra photos (which makes sense, but if a seller is getting local interest they might just skip working with the remote guy).

As a buyer, I've never had a remote purchase be awesome.  My last example, bike was a 10 hour drive away.  I decided to drive SUV up with trailer vs. the fly/buy/ride approach.  Had wonderful pics of bike.  Garage kept. etc etc.  When I got there, the bike looked like it was treated like a leaf blower or mower ... dust all over it, leaves all down in the fairing ... such a deep layer of dust on it would be hard to tell the condition of the finish.  I felt like asking him to wash the bike and I'd be back in a hour or two.  So obviously the pics were from an earlier time.  I asked about the "garage kept" thing, he said he had to put it out on the patio for a few nights.  Right.  Looked it over best I could.  Went on test drive.  And ended up buying it.  Turned out ok but the guy knew he posted up beautiful spotless pics and was selling a dust/leaf bin.  And he knew I was driving 10 hours to get it.  But the motorcycle is in better hands now.   :grin:

So if the seller if flaky from the very start, I'd tend to take that as a sign and move on. 

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
My first thoughts, if they were too lazy to put up decent pictures on their CL ad, then they are probably too lazy to email you some extra pics.

You mentioned you gave them your email address via phone?  Maybe they spelled it wrong? 

On the selling side, I've found remote people to more likely be scammers or a bit more difficult to work with.  Local guy can just stop by.  Remote guy might want many extra photos (which makes sense, but if a seller is getting local interest they might just skip working with the remote guy).

As a buyer, I've never had a remote purchase be awesome.  My last example, bike was a 10 hour drive away.  I decided to drive SUV up with trailer vs. the fly/buy/ride approach.  Had wonderful pics of bike.  Garage kept. etc etc.  When I got there, the bike looked like it was treated like a leaf blower or mower ... dust all over it, leaves all down in the fairing ... such a deep layer of dust on it would be hard to tell the condition of the finish.  I felt like asking him to wash the bike and I'd be back in a hour or two.  So obviously the pics were from an earlier time.  I asked about the "garage kept" thing, he said he had to put it out on the patio for a few nights.  Right.  Looked it over best I could.  Went on test drive.  And ended up buying it.  Turned out ok but the guy knew he posted up beautiful spotless pics and was selling a dust/leaf bin.  And he knew I was driving 10 hours to get it.  But the motorcycle is in better hands now.   :grin:

So if the seller if flaky from the very start, I'd tend to take that as a sign and move on.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
Great reply. You may be spot on.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 01:27:57 PM »
I buy and sell fairly often on Craigslist.

I've quit.   When you sell, you get a raft of wanna-bes and looky-lous and people offering payment plans.

When you buy, you have to fight your way through a hedge of swords and dragons liars, cheats, and scammers.

I don't want anything bad enough any more to look at craigslist for it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »
I've quit.   When you sell, you get a raft of wanna-bes and looky-lous and people offering payment plans.

When you buy, you have to fight your way through a hedge of swords and dragons liars, cheats, and scammers.

I don't want anything bad enough any more to look at craigslist for it.

Lannis
So where would buy a new ride?You quit easy. You don't even watch TV you said.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
Also I have seen lots of bikes with way too low prices. When I call I get answer machines. Wheres the profit in what they are doing? Craigslist needs to police their site better.One was a goldwing trike for $2000.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 07:56:35 PM »

So where would buy a new ride?You quit easy. You don't even watch TV you said.

I know an awful lot of people in the world of bikes.   Every bike I've bought for the past 20 years, I've bought either from someone I know in the Guzzi or BSA world, or from a dealer I trust.

There's just no need, no matter what kind of bike I want, to go outside my circle of friends or friend-of-a-friend to buy any kind of bike I want ....

I sell them the same way.   The last three Guzzis I sold all went to people at Moto Guzzi rallies!   

It's a real relief knowing that I don't have to worry if a check is going to clear or if there's actually a crankshaft in the motor ..... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »

Yep

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
 Any of you guys ever call out for a pizza delivery , good grief , what a hassle .

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 05:05:11 AM »
I've sold most of my bikes on CL. Within the last month I've sold 2. Its free and reaches a lot of people. Sure you have to separate the wheat from the chaff and do a few things to protect yourself but all in all CL has been very helpful in e selling bikes. I've also bought a lot of bikes on CL and never any drama.

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe CL rally isn't as bad as we make it out to be. But no matter what its worth want we pay for it.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
In addition to all the good advice that's been posted I'd also say that as a buyer you need to be willing to let go and move on. If the person is real and motivated to sell they'll be responsive. Anyone not being so is either a scam artist or non-caring. When I'm selling I go out of my way to communicate and follow up with the potential buyer to see if they received photos and such. If someone doesn't care enough to sell their toy then they probably didn't take care of it - move on.

As a seller I've typically received an initial flurry of scammers and dabblers. You have to wade through these to uncover the real buyers.  Can't agree more with Perazzimx14 - protect yourself and be patient. The right deal is out there.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »
What kind of scooter are you looking for? Also try Facebook marketplace for things like that. There is at least a little more accountability there since it's tied to a Facebook profile.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
I've sold most of my bikes on CL. Within the last month I've sold 2. Its free and reaches a lot of people. Sure you have to separate the wheat from the chaff and do a few things to protect yourself but all in all CL has been very helpful in e selling bikes. I've also bought a lot of bikes on CL and never any drama.

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe CL rally isn't as bad as we make it out to be. But no matter what its worth want we pay for it.
+1. I've sold many bikes, cars, and miscellaneous stuff on CL, and it's always been much more effective for me than the various forums I subscribe to. But there are a lot of unreliable buyers and sellers out there, so I just weed through them and move on. Can't be beat for the price!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here