Author Topic: Thinking of getting back into Guzzi...for Alaska trip  (Read 2601 times)

bobrebos

Thinking of getting back into Guzzi...for Alaska trip
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:36:41 PM »
Friend of mine rides into Alaska each year from Tennessee (He takes about 40 days to enjoy the sites), and he has invited me for next years trip.   I got ran over by a car about 2010 and lost my Moto Guzzi California to being totaled and I replaced it with a 2010 Gold Wing.

The Gold Wing wont make some of the dirt roads in Alaska (Due to its weight) so.....Im thinking of looking for a Stelvio with all the bags etc for this trip.  Hmmmmm????  Decisions Decisions??????       :huh:

twowings

Re: Thinking of getting back into Guzzi...for Alaska trip
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
The Stelvio is the perfect bike unless you are 5'8" or shorter then it won't be fun tippy-toeing on gravel/mud/heaven-knows-what-else road sections...the large fuel tank and big front wheel are good things to have up there in the 50th state...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Several GWs show up at the Dust 2 Dawson rally every June (Dawson City, YK) and I see them regularly on the Alaska roads.  What gravel roads do you plan to travel?  Not a main highway, I hope.  They are officially "paved" now.  Gravel stretches are the same construction zones you'd see down south.  So I'd have no problem running the GW. 

Stelvio is good, too.

bobrebos

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
Several GWs show up at the Dust 2 Dawson rally every June (Dawson City, YK) and I see them regularly on the Alaska roads.  What gravel roads do you plan to travel?  Not a main highway, I hope.  They are officially "paved" now.  Gravel stretches are the same construction zones you'd see down south.  So I'd have no problem running the GW. 

Stelvio is good, too.

I know he said the "Haul Road" to Deadhorse is one gravel road he was talking about, but Im trying to find out which "dirt" road's he is talking about???.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
The haul road is gravel all the way, if that. 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
I know he said the "Haul Road" to Deadhorse is one gravel road he was talking about, but Im trying to find out which "dirt" road's he is talking about???.
Bob, please check your PM's.

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
Virtually any bike will 'make it' to Alaska. The Alaska Highway and the Cassiar Highway are all paved nowadays. I am going to head to Anchorage after the Eclipse and will surely take the Cassiar, for I really like that road. One way to break up the adventure is to hop a ferry for part of the distance, and they even let you set up a tent on the top deck. One year, we ferried over to Vancouver Island, then from the top near Port Hardy we caught another to Prince Rupert, then on to the Cassiar. I have a 2016 Stelvio, and I think it is the perfect bike for the trip. Looks like there are some great deals on new or slightly used Stelvios out there right now. Dealers are discounting  the 2016's quite a bit, but it won't last long.

Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

bobrebos

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Bob, please check your PM's.

I replied to your message...

bobrebos

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Virtually any bike will 'make it' to Alaska. The Alaska Highway and the Cassiar Highway are all paved nowadays. I am going to head to Anchorage after the Eclipse and will surely take the Cassiar, for I really like that road. One way to break up the adventure is to hop a ferry for part of the distance, and they even let you set up a tent on the top deck. One year, we ferried over to Vancouver Island, then from the top near Port Hardy we caught another to Prince Rupert, then on to the Cassiar. I have a 2016 Stelvio, and I think it is the perfect bike for the trip. Looks like there are some great deals on new or slightly used Stelvios out there right now. Dealers are discounting  the 2016's quite a bit, but it won't last long.

How close to those Bears were you? 

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
Actually, that shot was taken by my Daughter just last Saturday. She is in the Army, stationed in Anchorage.

up load pictures

She took it right after she caught this fish. It looks to be 50 yards away, luckily on the other side of the river. When I have ridden to Alaska I have only seen one Grizzly, who was eating on a road kill moose on the shoulder. But midway up the Cassiar, in a 100 mile stretch I spotted 11 black bears.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

bobrebos

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Actually, that shot was taken by my Daughter just last Saturday. She is in the Army, stationed in Anchorage.

up load pictures

She took it right after she caught this fish. It looks to be 50 yards away, luckily on the other side of the river. When I have ridden to Alaska I have only seen one Grizzly, who was eating on a road kill moose on the shoulder. But midway up the Cassiar, in a 100 mile stretch I spotted 11 black bears.

ahhhh... as I am retired Air Force tell her thank you for her service!

bobrebos

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:24 AM »

up load pictures

I had orders to Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage Alaska years ago once but they got cancelled.  I really wanted to go to that assignment too.....

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here