Author Topic: ...Bassa Talk - Front end pulse dives when using foot brake  (Read 20106 times)

oldbike54

Re: ...Bassa Talk - " My first boyfriend had a Moto Guzzi..."
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
You might have to get off of Youtube, and try KCRW Eclectic 24.

Sorry , but one bad girl group at a time please  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: ...Bassa Talk - " My first boyfriend had a Moto Guzzi..."
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2016, 01:06:36 AM »
Radio's on?

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: ...Bassa Talk - BREAKING STORY: The Bassa burns it's fourth battery...
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
And here we go again...

I bought the bike in January of 2014. It had a nominal 42,00 miles on it. The P.O. allowed as I might want to put a battery in it - he said that the current one was in good shape, but it had a few years on it, and that the last time it went south it had happened with no warning - he was getting fuel, and when he went to start up again it just went click.

So at 42,735 I put a new lead acid battery in it and proceeded to ride without a care into a summer heatwave.

At 46,275 that battery, mostly dry with plates showing, gave it up while I was getting lunch. I'll take that one - I'd forgotten how rapidly a battery can go dry, I guess. I got 3,500 miles out of that one.

So a new battery goes in - I don't recall if it was lead/acid or AGM. I rode that one until in changing the speedo cable I unintentionally pulled loose a connector that goes to the regulator. A few days later at 54,300 that battery gave it up at speed on the freeway. I got 8,100 out of that one.

Figured out that loose wire after much help from you guys, fixed it and moved on with an AGM. That one died in my parking spot at home at 55,800 shortly after the low fuel light made it's first appearance since I bought the bike. The light came on AFTER fueling up and stayed on. I disconnected sensor at the connection beneath the tank, checked all the charging numbers and they were good. So I wrote that one off to the low fuel sensor after only 1,500 miles and put another AGM in it.

Friday, I pulled into a fuel stop and the bike missed and sputtered as I made my entrance. I figured it was just lean from getting off the freeway, shut it down and fueled it. When I was done it wouldn't turn over. Battery four goes down at 60,000, after a life span of 4,200 miles.

With the help of friends (a big shout out to Dr. Gary of McDowell Chiropractic) I put another AGM in it and rode it home. I figure the battery had enough oomph to get me there and cost the same as a tow, and if it had anything left I could begin troubleshooting with it.

So I avoided the bike all day Saturday, and now here we are on Sunday morning. I'm going to start it, check the sacred numbers (key off, key on, while cranking, while idling, and while at cruising revs). Then I'll post those numbers and begin looking for ... well, I guess I'm hoping for a readily findable loose connection. All other options are downhill from that one.

:sad:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:52:10 AM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
 Sounds like it is over-charging Norm .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
Thanks, Dusty.

I don't believe these number support that theory, but as we have repeatedly demonstrated here on the forum I don't always know what's going on.

Today, the meter sez....

Key off  11.99

Key on  11.66

Cranking  10.66

Idling    11.44

Cruise
revs      11.43

So...I think I've confirmed what I already knew. It's not charging properly. Damn I feel clever...   :sad:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »
 Alrighty then , it isn't generating enough juice . Try charging the battery completely and rechecking . Humor us please .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
Let's start with the humoring part.

I live in an apartment. So clever boy that I am, I just took a shovel and shaved off a little of the base of the hill ("green belt", now brown in our drought) in front of my apartment, cut a piece of plywood about one boot by two, and made myself a center-stand friendly spot in front of my door so I could work on the bike just a few steps away from home. Sure, it's in the kid  play zone, but I'm really just a kid at heart, so...

I pulled the seat already, so I pull the side covers and gaze. I decide that the rectifier is a good place to start, so I go up front where I recently added the crash bars [Turin] so generously donated.

When I added the crash bars, they fastened down just above the regulator, and I had to reroute the regulator wires over the crash bar. This put them in the neighborhood of the fork stop thingy that is part of the frame.

So you know where this is going...Since sometime after I installed the crash bars, every time I turn the forks to the right I've been pinching some of the regulator wiring.

:cry:

oldbike54

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »
 Ahh , the story unfolds .

Dusty

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
  So you're saying "just a pinch" is too much sometimes? My motto: "Always look first where the last guy worked...even if it was me".  :wink:

Terry

P. S.   By the way, unplug the reg/rect and shine up the connectors while you are there. Makes a big difference if they are dirty.
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the technical support, [CalVin2007] Paul, and for the (im)moral support, [oldbike54] Dusty.

Tech wizards that you are, I don't know if you can imagine how much better it makes me feel even just to see somebody post the  :popcorn: emoji when I am working on Josie and thinking out loud here.

So the while the Chargers are playing the Vikings on the radio, the charger is on the battery.

I'm going to splice the cut yellow wire, shiny up the associated connectors, and see if the idling and cruising revs charge level goes up to where it's supposed to be. If I get lucky, that will be it (until the next time). If not, then it get's more expensive.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
 Hey , I help where I can  :laugh: Seriously , hard to diagnose a problem W/O all of the details .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Well, Dusty, I'm working on the local newspaper crossword while I wait for the battery to finish charging, I've got some details for you...City in Oklahoma, four letters.

:undecided:

oldbike54

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
Well, Dusty, I'm working on the local newspaper crossword while I wait for the battery to finish charging, I've got some details for you...City in Oklahoma, four letters.

:undecided:

Gage .

Dusty

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
Enid.

oldbike54

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
 Alex , Corn , Gore .

Where are ya Norm ?

Dusty

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
My bike pinches the throttle cables when I turn right. Tying them off loosely a bit higher should help. The right crash bar has been tested so I can see why they are used.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Right here, Dusty. 

The charger (battery, not the guys who lost to the Vikings today) says 81% charged.

Key off, the meter says 13.25 volts

At idle, the meter reads 12.7 volts

At cruising revs, it reads 14.5 volts.

I think I'm riding to work tomorrow. Tonight, " I can haz cheezburger ".

I have no corroborating evidence yet for any of the four letter towns, but thanks to all of you.

oldbike54

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »
 Success . Now give us another clue re the town in Oklahoma .

Dusty

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »
  We may know some helpful four letter words as well,in case the charging problem is still...problematic .
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
  We may know some helpful four letter words as well,in case the charging problem is still...problematic .

I find that keeping a cheap wrench within arms length for the purposes of flinging across the yard can also be quite therapeutic .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:49 PM »
A holdover from my automotive days...I like to keep a hammer near anything I'm working on.

You don't have to use it, but it helps to let the machine you're willing to if it's not cooperative.

When it comes to crosswords, I start them and do all the easy ones, then my wife (she married me, she's smart...right?) takes over and whomps some sense into it, then we toss it back and forth until we either give up or it is vanquished.

So she had to adjust "changechannels" to "switchchannels" in order to get ENID to fit. I'll let you know if that changes, we're a pen and correction tape kind of couple.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »

So she had to adjust "changechannels" to "switchchannels" in order to get ENID to fit.

Some crossword rules to live by:

City in Oklahoma is always "ENID".

Town in Iowa is always "AMES".

Anything having to do with opera is probably "AIDA".

The words "ERNE" (Sea Eagle), "ORT" (morsel), and "ONER" (unusual thing) are never used outside of crossword puzzles, but show up often there.

"ERLE" Stanley Gardner is the most popular author in crosswords.

If you can vaguely relate it to "summer", it's probably "ETE".

"Feds" are always "GMEN" or "TMEN".    Monsters are usually "OGRES".

The "LANAI" and "RIATA" are apparently words for "porch" and "lasso" somewhere .....

But what are you gonna do?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »
Lannis -

What I'm going to do, is substitute butter for silicone grease.

I saw a thread around here recently about the grommets that the side cover goes into. They wear and split - I noticed one of mine was, and went looking for silicone grease. Nope...

Thanks for sharing the wisdom - much of that is new to me, although my vocabulary includes a lot of century-old slang, so I've got GMEN before. And RIATA and LASSO are much the same...Damn, I miss horsing, although I've never had to rope one.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
Lannis -

What I'm going to do, is substitute butter for silicone grease.

You're also probably going to substitute "Rats" for "Cracked Grommets" in your garage ... !!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Re: ...Bassa Talk - Lunchtime ride report for Bill Hagon
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2016, 06:30:38 PM »
I'm under orders to eat lunch today, or I'll be in trouble when I get home. So I roll on over to the local Jimbos, in the genteel neighborhood adjacent to our little industrial park.

I found a shady parking place betwixt the sport utility vehicles of a couple of high-dollar granola honeys, and I figured I could eat my lunch there before returning to work.

In the store, I settled on a smoked turkey and bacon sandwich (that's the Bill Hagon part of the story - no sashimi today).

I'm ringing up and the cashier, some new guy I've not seen before, asks what I'm riding. I tell him, and his response is " That's Italian, right? That's a legit bike - where is it ? "

Of course the soccer mom SERE vehicles are blocking the view, so I tell him I'll pull it in front of the doors as I leave so he can see it. So much for eating my sandwich in the shady spot, but I have a responsibility to the marque. 

As I'm walking out he's alerting his coworkers to the impending event, and as I pull up and rev it twice he draws their attention to it and gives me a two thumbs up. The sacrifices we make to support Luigi...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:31:28 PM by normzone »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
Now that you have some electrons flowing in the right direction.. take the time to put a ground wire on the regulator case and run it to a bolt on the engine case.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
Re: ...AND Welcome to Bassa Talk, with your host, normzone...
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
Actually, that was barbecue grilled sardines.

Don't tell [rodekyll], but based on the foods he listed I'd just go buy his shopping list and turn him loose in the kitchen as much as possible.

My dinner tonight will be ceviche and experimental eggplant, pan grilled then baked with barbecue sauce - my wife doesn't much care for eggplant so on nights when she works late I indulge.

The man can make some lentil soup :food:
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
Thank you very much [Chuck in Indiana] - I have done so. What is that they cry out over in the Middle East ?

" Ground is great ! "

Okay, I could have my " current " events mixed up.

[Matteo Manfredi], lentil soup ? I hope there's some salmon in it...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:57:11 PM by normzone »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
I got lost on page one.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Re: ...Bassa Talk - Leaking rear drive seal ...
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:04 PM »
Last couple of times I rode the bike light to light in town on a really hot day I noticed some drive line oil on the rear wheel & tire, patterned as a leak after parking. I figured it got hot and cooked some off through a blowby valve or something that I made up in my imagination.

I washed the bike and it was fine. Then it did it again, same cause pattern, and I saw that it came out of the hub.

That means a seal, which starts with S, which stands for aw sh!t ...

:shocked:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:03:58 PM by normzone »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here