Author Topic: Here's a marketing idea for Guzzi  (Read 2439 times)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Here's a marketing idea for Guzzi
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
Picture Guzzi finally introducing a V7/V9 Stelvio.  To introduce the bike they put together a 10K mile (or some other significant milestone) journey, get a dozen riders to participate, and make a slick video to show all the capabilities.  Market the bike as the perfect touring machine...not too big and not too small.   If this were done in the US I can think of a few dozen spots that would be must do to visit.  Zongshen has just done exactly that, but in China.  Here's their video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LgGLBLWtDY

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here's a marketing idea for Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
Picture Guzzi finally introducing a V7/V9 Stelvio.  To introduce the bike they put together a 10K mile (or some other significant milestone) journey, get a dozen riders to participate, and make a slick video to show all the capabilities.  Market the bike as the perfect touring machine...not too big and not too small.   If this were done in the US I can think of a few dozen spots that would be must do to visit.  Zongshen has just done exactly that, but in China.  Here's their video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LgGLBLWtDY

Peter Y.
Good one mate ! What do you reckon would happen if Mc Gregor and Boorman did a Long Way Up ? Something like Cape of Good Hope to Nordkapp on Stelvio's. BMW sold a couple of GS' on the back of that idea.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:36:42 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
Where can I sign up for that  :bike-037:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
I'd buy one.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:28:40 PM »
Perfect size
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
I'd just hope they have the split fuel filter and wrong hose or clamp inside the tank sorted out along with the many other quirks of new Guzzi ownership.. How long did they ship Cali's with the hose that fell off inside tank, like 8-10 years?  tho it might make the video more interesting with the new owners fixing their new bikes w/Gizzingenuity..rant over, I hear the SB is better sorted..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Mark111

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
Unless they re-engineer the rear of the frame to support the swing arm pivot and move it away from the rear of the gearbox it is always going to be problematic.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
Piaggio would have to show some interest/ desire in "marketing" the Guzzi line.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:26:29 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »
I'd just hope they have the split fuel filter and wrong hose or clamp inside the tank sorted out along with the many other quirks of new Guzzi ownership.. How long did they ship Cali's with the hose that fell off inside tank, like 8-10 years?  tho it might make the video more interesting with the new owners fixing their new bikes w/Gizzingenuity..rant over, I hear the SB is better sorted..

This was caused by different fuel mixtures they(MG)didn't know about in the US, compliments of the EPA.   It didn't happen all over the US.  Just those areas that had a certain fuel mixture that the fuel hose coming from Italy wasn't familiar with.  Same thing with plastic fuel tanks swelling up for the same reason.  Where I live I had neither issue and others with my rigs did.  :wink:

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:34:20 AM »
It happened all over the world. Fuel build was a minor, maybe irrelevant, factor in the blown off fuel line problem.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:58:13 AM »
many ... quirks of new Guzzi ownership.

Ditto

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »

Peter Y.

Very good idea!

Most riders don't even know about Moto Guzzi.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Guzzi needs name awareness, which means it requires a high profile campaign. Remember the days when nobody except the diehard wanted Harleys? Great marketing has led to non-bikers thinking of HDs as the Rolls Royce of bikes, rather than the John Deeres. Guzzi should sign up with the same agency.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
 :popcorn:

Nah, inside the factory their probably still thinking they just did this a few years ago with a trip to the Artic Circle...you know, 1935?

:popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
A small block Stelvio where have I heard that before  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu of course it needs to make 90 hp and weigh under a 150kgs otherwise people will go out and buy brand XYZ. None of guzzi's current platforms are suitable for such an application by that I mean frames motors gearboxes the works the longer it goes on the further forward the market moves and Guzzi who is struggling to stave off emission standards get more un-compedative.

Its started snowing there hasn't it? In contrast my work had their christmas do, a mild 36 celcius spend sailing surfcats on the river.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
Hey Murray...no snow here (yet) but 30F this morning and below that for tomorrow morn.  Yes, we have talked about a SB Stelvio.  In my mind it would be much like the current Stelvio NTX; not cutting edge in terms of power or weight, nor motorcross suspension, or Dakar capable.  This would be more like the current Scrambler trend, look cool but not really desert capable.  That's why I believe the marketing should focus on real world use as opposed to crazy stuff like The Road of Bones.  No, show the bike as a good touring machine with modest off road capability being enjoyed by a bunch of guys on a trip.  Not professional riders, normal guys.  Focus on the positive points (easy maintenance, decent fuel economy, shaft drive, and good ergonomics).  Yes, it would help a lot if the company beefed up the final drive and suspension.  I think 60 hp would be just fine, with the right gearing.  450 lbs or less, $10K.  I think the end product would hit a sweet spot in the market right now.  I guess I'm a dreamer.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
People may say you're a dreamer Peter, but you're not the only one...

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
The reasons people would buy this over the existing KLR650 DR650 XTZ660Z all of which are significantly cheaper  than 10K USD and lighter than the guzzi ever could be is what exactly? I think you can even get the Huski 701 for that kind of money if you need something bigger better faster. They have dropped the Stelvio ie it is no longer in production so aligning it with an obsolete model wouldn't make sense.

If they managed to get it under 10kUSD and if they genuinely beef it up for off road duty thats unlikely (you'll get one or the other) because it will be major individual parts for an individual model and that makes it expensive over shuffling around some plastic body parts and cans of paint in the paint room. The three guys on this forum might buy one and be perfectly happy with it another ten that showed interest initially it will either be too expensive, I can can get a 3 year old 1200 stelvio for that money, or it will have some kind of engineering flaw perceived or real for its intended purpose.

I just don't see it ever been able to recover its development costs.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here